Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Watched the bits of the game shown on MotD. Although you see very little of the action, the stats showed that Saints were the better team and confirmed what Koeman said in his post-match comments about the performance being positive. The result did look largely to be a matter of luck. You would expect to have scored from the penalty but there will be the occasional miss. The goal conceded looked unlucky, although you might have expected another defender or two to be in the area. Maybe this was an unlucky defeat, as many are saying was the defeat to Man U, and at Arsenal. These results might be down to the run of luck over which there can be no control, but you then have to consider whether some of the results we got through the autumn were also down to luck in our favour, so perhaps it evens out over time..

Would/could have been a completely different outcome if the penalty had gone in. Small margins but should have beaten a poor Burnley side.

Still in a decent position but need to arrest the slide sooner rather than later.

Come back soon Morgan, please....

P.s. Pompey lost at home to Accrington. That's Accrington. Every cloud....

Nicely put and all true.

Unlucky against Arsenal, unlucky against Man United, unlucky against Burnley - there's a bit more to it than that! We are not scoring goals, we are carrying some players who are not delivering, and we are over-reliant on the squad and haven't brought academy players through (other than Hesketh). We need to buck up our ideas PDQ.

Contrary to what some have said, Pelle had a good game today. Sure he missed a couple of opportunities but they were not easy.

I just don't get why Koeman lets Mane near the bench let alone a starting position. I would take ANYONE over him, he is Conference level at best. The Charlie Chaplin of the premier league.

Tadic has become invisible, that is a real disappointment.

Our problem is a paper thin squad, we need some reinforcements come January, perhaps not world beaters but two or three solid premiership level professionals would make all the difference.

We're settling down to our level now, second was fun but not sustainable with the small squad that we have.

Agreed with what you say about mane - and as for Mayuka - I simply cannot understand why he is on the bench when we have good academy players who could be helping out.

Agreed with what you say about mane - and as for Mayuka - I simply cannot understand why he is on the bench when we have good academy players who could be helping out.

Can only imagine that they just arent good enough. As good as Pellè's all round play is, he is struggling for form infront of goal right now, but Ive noticed he has always lacked composure.

I have watched every minute of every game, so please, point out what it is that qualifies the statement that Mane has talent. Point me to a game where he has looked even League 2 standard.

His finish against Stoke drew widespread praise from commentators; certainly not a L2 finish....

Do like the work that Shane Long puts in when he's on the pitch , but fack me , he needs to put the ball in the net a few more times.

Never going to happen. He's the finished product at the top level. He's never scored many goals and people who thought he might when we signed him were deluded. Whatever he brings to the team as a striker, it isn't goals. I can see the appeal of a club like us having a player like him but we shouldn't even pretend to think he's going to score many goals for us.

We had players on the bench, it was two or three in the line up who let us down today. I have a lot of faith in Morgan but he's not the be-all and end-all and can no longer be counted on. His talking to the papers did much to unsettle our dream. That he and others were injured in the days that followed his big mouth comments was very sad and poured more venom onto our season. Having a full line up of international players has cost us dear. The time away on international duty can be traced back to when our beloved Saints stopped performing to the level we had enjoyed before the break.

Fellow Saints, don't think Morgan's going to turn things around, it will be the likes of Prowsey, and the true Saints who want to live the dream with Saints. Morgan's sold his Sainthood and become a mercenary. We have no need long term of mercenaries but true Saints committed to the club and what it stands for.

Forget Europa, Champions League! I don't want to see a repeat of the clubs like Hull, Everton and Newcastle and being overwhelmed by bringing in players uncommitted and overpaid.. I want to see good football, and staying in the upper reaches of the Premier League.

I look inside myself and see my heart is black

I see my red door I must have it painted black

Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts

It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

I wanna see it painted, painted black

Black as night, black as coal

I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

My optimism dropped dramatically when I saw Mané in the starting line up.

Whatever his talents are, they are far too raw for the Premier league - and especially this team. His lack of tactical/positional discipline is screwing up the way other players contribute to a style that was working very well for us. It was clearly apparent in the Spurs game when he kept coming inside instead of taking on a slow full back (Dier), and even then he missed a sitter right in front of goal. He doesn't look like a good finisher so he either plays wide or (my preference) not at all.

Oh well, If Koeman can't see it, we'll just have to look forward to AFCoN.

I have a feeling that Sheffield United will be Burnley Mk 2 in terms of how they play so we need to get this sorted out pronto.

Um, Mane was excellent against Spurs and went past the full back (Naughton before Dier) over and over again. Until he missed a "sitter" he couldn't even see until it was on his boot.

This is agree with. How often do "mid-table" teams lose to relation candidates. All the time. We didn't play well today but we're never guna be amazing all season. Let's just hope we improve soon

You have to have more about you than 'hope' to do well in this league . Ambition and decisive skillful football might get you somewhere - hope will not.......

On Friday, a mate of mine told me he was in the same hotel as the team the night before this game for his work party and someone set the hotel alarm off at 3pm, getting the whole squad up.

Also, I was driving north on the m42 yesterday and saw the first team coach going south. No idea what it had been doing, seemed a funny time to see it travel that way tbh.

On Friday, a mate of mine told me he was in the same hotel as the team the night before this game for his work party and someone set the hotel alarm off at 3pm, getting the whole squad up.

Also, I was driving north on the m42 yesterday and saw the first team coach going south. No idea what it had been doing, seemed a funny time to see it travel that way tbh.

To be honest judging by the performance they were asleep at 3pm.