Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Tadic kills our attack these days, just kills it dead.

No idea what's up with him.

Well for a start he's not fit. But as we have so few options (because the board cocked up in the summer with not enough signings) we have little option but to play him. Long is also not fully fit, hence why he is not playing 90 minutes. Mane is complete turd. Without Morgan we are very average and we have a dodgy keeper. Other than that everything is fine. The Happy Clappers have been telling us all season so it must be true.

Correctly predicted a 1-0 defeat, just gutted I didn't have money on it. Koeman got it totally wrong with his team selection today. Mane is far more effective coming off the bench with 20 mins to go.

Don't understand why Pelle didn't take the penalty.

Off to the bookies to have money on us not finishing in the top 10.

What about staying up or is the R word unthinkable ?

What's with this tidal wave of hindsight against Tadic's penalty? He scored one against Arsenal, he probably takes them quite well in training and yet you are all saying he should have give it to someone like Pelle or Toby who you have never seen take a penalty.

No doubt if Toby had taken it and skyed it into row Z it would be all, "why didn't Tadic take it FFS! He scored the last one!"

his last penalty was awful... Granted it went in but it really was weak and crap.

Victor did not play well in this game, infact he kept losing the ball!

Forster was poor against Man Utd and again today he could have saved that goal. He didn't have much to do but he didn't seem steady when called upon. Long doesn't look like scoring lets be honest he works hard but apart from that what has he offered??

We have to be honest the levels today were not there, I can take losing to the big sides, but away against Burnley is a game WE must be winning if we're to be top six.

Sorry, how could he have saved it? He was set to go in the direction of the flight of the ball, until it takes a wicked deflection at the last milisecond which alters the course totally. He was already set, and couldn't change that. Please can people stop blaming every goal on the GK, it's quite boring to read.

Well for a start he's not fit. But as we have so few options (because the board cocked up in the summer with not enough signings) we have little option but to play him. Long is also not fully fit, hence why he is not playing 90 minutes. Mane is complete turd. Without Morgan we are very average and we have a dodgy keeper. Other than that everything is fine. The Happy Clappers have been telling us all season so it must be true.

Someone hacked into your account this afty Vectis or was the tea cold and the cakes burnt?

Victor did not play well in this game, infact he kept losing the ball!

Forster was poor against Man Utd and again today he could have saved that goal. He didn't have much to do but he didn't seem steady when called upon. Long doesn't look like scoring lets be honest he works hard but apart from that what has he offered??

We have to be honest the levels today were not there, I can take losing to the big sides, but away against Burnley is a game WE must be winning if we're to be top six.

two important goals against Leicester?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic with the board cocked up line? We sold our entire spine, and they managed to replace them all and put us a decent position. They didn't cock anything up. If you honestly thought at the start of the season that it was all about maintaining last seasons success, then show me the post. No one expected this start, not one person. Anywhere. So no one cocked up any summer signings.

Teams have learned how to play us after our early season luck. Big test for Big Ron over the Christmas period and it will be interesting to see if he has some tactical answers and how the Club reinforce in January. Still, it has been a superb first half of the season with the squad we have, albeit disappointing today. The biggest frustration for me is the lack of decent first touch for our front 3/4, surely they can work on this in training?

Great trolling there.

Garbage from start to finish. Not helped by horror conditions. Dusan needs to put those penalties into the top corner. That's what its there for! Just tosh. Hesketh looked the goods from his short spell. Happy for him to get a run of games. Other than that, total rubbish. Got what we earnt.

My optimism dropped dramatically when I saw Mané in the starting line up.

Whatever his talents are, they are far too raw for the Premier league - and especially this team. His lack of tactical/positional discipline is screwing up the way other players contribute to a style that was working very well for us. It was clearly apparent in the Spurs game when he kept coming inside instead of taking on a slow full back (Dier), and even then he missed a sitter right in front of goal. He doesn't look like a good finisher so he either plays wide or (my preference) not at all.

Oh well, If Koeman can't see it, we'll just have to look forward to AFCoN.

I have a feeling that Sheffield United will be Burnley Mk 2 in terms of how they play so we need to get this sorted out pronto.

We have a good opportunity for a response now. Cup game soon which we should be able to get back to winning in. Really need an "easier" game right now (don't give me a load of spiel about it not being easier, it is, and we need it). That would set us up for a home game against a struggling (compared to their usual selves) Everton side. So its not a bad position to be in. We will be 5th when we face Everton which is good, so we can push on and try and maintain our position.

Personally, I am much more excited about the prospect of the League Cup than European qualification. I'd much rather win something than get into Europe, even if it was Champions league.

Lets get our frustration out, try not to be too reactionistic and pick ourselves up for the cup game.

We march on!

The winners of the League Cup qualify for the Europa league.

What was everyone expecting? 8th would be a good finish for us, there are at least 8 better sides than us in this league. We have done well, but just over performed for the first 11/12 games. Anyone who thinks we can finish top 6 now is deluded. The last few weeks have proved that there is still a glass ceiling that can't be broken through. There's no need for meltdown, just a realisation that we have about the 8th/9th best squad in the league. Let's be happy with what we've got. There's sadly nothing to play for in the league, we've got a nice run in but too many tricky games before. We have a massive opportunity to win the League Cup. Hooefully RoKo switches his focus now and goes all out.

Tadic low on confidence takes penalty at 0-0. He didn't hit it with any pace the same as the Arsenal penalty except the keeper went early. Pelle IMO should have taken it. Clyne didn't really go through the ball and it ricocheted off to Barnes. Mane was poor, Pelle was hacked off with him snatching at the ball as Pelle lined up to hit it. I'm surprised Long came on so late. Pelle booked so won't miss Everton.JWP had a decent game.

That game was there for the taking, missing penalties isn't the Southampton way. Other than Pelle, I think JWP takes them, I wonder how Clyne would do he really does strike the ball well. Bubbling confidence is now missing. Next week Long in for Mane IMO.

People bagging Pelle.... Was I the only noticed him chasing back into his own half to try to get the ball moving quickly. Seems like the only one of the front group trying to advance the game for us at the moment.

Pelle is alright at the moment, working hard, but the supply into him is nothing short of horrific. So he's got nothing to work with, he's having to do it all by himself and he's not quite a player of that level to do that.

Just a taste of what could happen when Schneiderlin goes next Summer and we fail to replace him with someone decent.

Just like when Shaw went and we failed to replace him with anyone decent, oh and Lovren, and Lallana, oh and Lambert.

Stop with the silly posts.

Last 3 games have been painful. We just don't seem to have out shooting boots on.

Today, too many passes went astray.

BUT other than Man City no one has comfortably beaten us.

This is very important to remember. Yes, losing is disappointing, doubly so to a team you'd hope to beat. But they've had to work for it.

Saints seem to be playing through treacle at the moment, but the quality is still there.

My post taken from the Burnley Build Up Thread, especially for Saint86

"Our finishing in front of goal is woeful, we look short of confidence and FF blows hot and cold. Throw in our injuries and this is no easy game. Burnley will be well up for this given our recent form. I'd take a point now, but can see us getting nothing."

Man up FFS!

That was awful to watch, even from my warm home, what on earth did those poor sods think at Turf Moor?? Pi&& poor performance against a pi&& poor team. Have some of the players been guilty of thinking, "It's only Burnley". Hmm, I wonder.

That was awful to watch, even from my warm home, what on earth did those poor sods think at Turf Moor?? Pi&& poor performance against a pi&& poor team. Have some of the players been guilty of thinking, "It's only Burnley". Hmm, I wonder.

As one who was there, not good. Confidence has gone. Seriously, they don't like playing in cold driving rain, Morgan is critical to make things happen and without him or Cork we're like a ship without a rudder.

But we should still have won, like Monday. But the end of the game was the worst I've felt for a long time. There was no belief, especially after the pen miss. Bring back Ricky.

This is now a real test for RK to pick the team up and get them functioning again.

Everton, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd the next 5 league game. We really need to pick up maximum points in the first two and whatever we can in the next 3.

Looking at that, given our current form, I don't see a point in there for us to be honest - which would make it 1 out of 28.... so who thinks we are CL contenders now or a serious top 6 side.

We'll do well to match or top last season at this rate.