Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

I thought listening to Merrington was bad enough , but reading some of the comments on here are doing my head in.

We are amongst the also rans that inhabit the region of 7-15 in the premiership along with your Stokes, Swansea's , West Hams and Newcastle's of the world. Never really in danger of going down , but no chance if top 4/5 . Teams at that level will always lose the occasional game at places like Burnley and will have runs of defeats. Who remembers losing to Cardiff, Norwich last year?

Why don't people just calm down and chill out. We have a quarter final at a 3rd division side, we have a home fa cup draw and have enough points in the bag to stay up easily , oh and we're 5th in the league , above spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal. Let's win at Sheff and then we'll have a two legged semi final to look forward to. That'll make a nice Xmas for me, even if we lose to Everton.

Pelle did alright, I love his passion. He was getting nothing from the two wide forwards, and fullbacks not much better. When they got forward they won a pen and had a decent effort skim the post.

Tadic appalling other than as a ballboy, erratic Wanyama performance. Steve Davis best player on the pitch but we miss him in the hole. Just not good enough as other than a decent start, Burnley were pish. They got the rub of the green and 0-0 would have been a fairer reflection of two poor teams on the day.

Probably irrational, but despite the general love-in, I think Davis is a weak link in this side. A playmaker who won't risk losing the ball is a recipe for stagnant attacking play, and that's exactly what we've had recently. He's very tidy and doesn't give the ball away as often as Vic (though he's made a few screw-ups recently), but in terms of his ability to impose himself on the game in a meaningful way, he's a solid meh-out of ten.

We are on a terrible run, but we've been completely screwed over by lady luck at the same time. We're not playing great, but not that bad either. The last three performances could just as easily resulted in seven points rather than none.

yup....but they've resulted in none so the performances count for F all.

Lack of squad depth really showing. Mane should be on the bench and used as an impact sub, his positioning and control is so poor at the moment. Even though Tadic is having a clear drop in form he still looks like he's capable of creating something, I'd rather see him switched to the other side though. Pelle is left stranded half the time with a lack of support when the ball does get to him.

Anyway, still sat in 5th after a horrendous run and dip in form and in the quarters of the league cup. With Morgan back, a couple of new players in January and if a couple of players can rediscover their early season form we are still in a good position.

The winners of the League Cup qualify for the Europa league.

Yeah I'm aware of that, but I'm saying that isn't what interests me about it. The cup itself is the prize and would be fantastic!

I'm not fussed about Europe yet, and I don't think we'd be ready for it. Like Les said, over the next 5 years that is the goal, it doesn't need to be this season. I'd rather win some silverware, gradually build the status and quality of the team and then eventually start to qualify for Europe. League or FA cup is what its all about for us :D that's something tangible that would be amazing :D

what more is there to say?.....we had more possession, and more shots on goal, and missed a penalty.

Hard luck on Hesketh -it would have been a red card for Keane - had the ref. seen the late tackle. Mane, Mane, moany, moany.....

and to add to the misery, Pelle is the only player to have scored in the last four games -and a fifth yellow card today :((silly)...means he suspended for the Sheff.Utd Cup game.:scared:

Roll on Everton.

We don't get too elated when we're winning and we don't get too down when we lose. What about when things look like they're built on sand? Meh, it's not a disaster lets face it, but the performances from the midfield and front line are looking consistently poor with no clue how to arrest the decline.

and to add to the misery, Pelle is the only player to have scored in the last four games -and a fifth yellow card (silly)...means he suspended for the Sheff.Utd Cup game.

The Guardian preview to the game today said Schneiderlin is due back from injury on 16th December which suggests he might be able to play on Tuesday. Not that that solves our goalscoring problem!

Said it before and will say it again. Playing a lone striker is not working. Need to stop being so defensive in our set up. We need more creativity/talent in the team rather than graters.

The other worrying thing is we seriously lack a plan B. I Love Koeman but his reaction tactics need working on. It is all well and good having 60% possession but if it's most from midfield to our back four it shows our thinking. Play safe rather than take chances.

Said it before and will say it again. Playing a lone striker is not working. Need to stop being so defensive in our set up. We need more creativity/talent in the team rather than graters.

The other worrying thing is we seriously lack a plan B. I Love Koeman but his reaction tactics need working on. It is all well and good having 60% possession but if it's most from midfield to our back four it shows our thinking. Play safe rather than take chances.

We don't play a lone striker. We play Pelle as a focal point, with 2 players coming in from the flanks to join to make a front 3 - the full backs them bomb on to supply the width.

What is defensive about that?

We don't play a lone striker. We play Pelle as a focal point, with 2 players coming in from the flanks to join to make a front 3 - the full backs them bomb on to supply the width.

What is defensive about that?

Really? Could swear I saw Pelle as the only guy up the field surrounded by 4 defenders most of the time?

Gutted for Jake Hesketh after a brilliant start. He's has nothing to be ashamed about. Disgusted for players like Mané et Long being in the squad. Even more disgusted that Tadic was give the penalty job, he\s been lucky to be in the team based on his play over the past few games.

MISTER KOEMAN, YOU'RE OVERLOOKING ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING!!!

BOOTS, BOOTS, BOOTS

Look what players were playing in up to the change in weather and look at what they're still playing in. We'll get no where in the heavy, sodden pitches and even less in the frozen ones!!!

We seem to be playing in quicksand at present.

Pelle works his a8se off every game, its unbelievable, him and Xavi aka Steven Davis I thought were really really good today, they are busting a gut if they having a bad day or not.

Betrand played well both ways today, clyne doesn't seem to be beating an egg at present, he receives the ball and 9/10 turns and passes it to Fonte or Wanayama.

Mane needs a rest and so does Tadic but we can't do both, Long gives discipline and works hard for the team so would replace Mane and move Tadic left and Long right.

Whats annoying me most only City beat us fair and square, I suppose this is karma for us laughing at Lovren's errors for goals, we just need Betrand to do one and we've got the full set.

We are on a terrible run, but we've been completely screwed over by lady luck at the same time. We're not playing great, but not that bad either. The last three performances could just as easily resulted in seven points rather than none.

yup....but they've resulted in none so the performances count for F all.

Thats really not the case. If we'd been played off the park while dropping those points, you could say "ok, we're sh*t". But we weren't, and we aren't. We are in a bad run, but we've given arsenal and man u a run for their money, (even van gaal said they were lucky to win,) and from what I saw of todays game we were basically undone by a penalty miss. In fact, the only game of the last 4 where we've looked outclassed was citeh.

Also like to add that Pelle is not suddenly terrible. He's not had a lot of service, which is understandable given the disruption to our midfield, but when he's had any sort of sniff he has held up play well and distributed well. He also seems to give a f*ck, look at the way he shoved boyd over the touchline when he was buying some time near the end.

We seem to be playing in quicksand at present.

Pelle works his a8se off every game, its unbelievable, him and Xavi aka Steven Davis I thought were really really good today, they are busting a gut if they having a bad day or not.

Betrand played well both ways today, clyne doesn't seem to be beating an egg at present, he receives the ball and 9/10 turns and passes it to Fonte or Wanayama.

Mane needs a rest and so does Tadic but we can't do both, Long gives discipline and works hard for the team so would replace Mane and move Tadic left and Long right.

Whats annoying me most only City beat us fair and square, I suppose this is karma for us laughing at Lovren's errors for goals, we just need Betrand to do one and we've got the full set.

To be fair Lovren's mistakes have been Hooiveld-esque this season.

@solentsport: #saintsfc boss @RonaldKoeman with @bigadamsport after 1-0 defeat at #BFC https://t.co/s4kG9Ts6kZ/s/7qVu

The more I listen to Koeman the more I think we have one of the best Managers we have ever had. He tells it how it is. Straight forward, no excuses whilst still exuding optimism yet not forgetting reality.

Big disappointment today. We had been getting great results until recent. Not fighting above our weight as the teams we have been beating are ones we should beat. Today though was a bad one result wise.

Not the end of the world and plenty of the season left. Still think we will finish it the top 8.

'This has got 0-0 written all over it'

trousers- it's your fault!

Look, it's a disappointing result yes- but sh*t happens, we're gonna have to move on.

Someone said we lost to Cardiff and Norwich last season, so when you put it like that, every team has a 'bulls*it result'.

Even Manchester United lost to Leicester 5-3. All I can say is move on, but our confidence looks bloody shot- a win in midweek can somewhat rectify that :)

#COYS

& whilst I think of it, if Tadic score the pen, we win the game. Our luck will change, starting on Tuesday.

I think maybe not. The New Moon isn't till December 21st and even then it's not sure due to other bad celestial influences. :(

& whilst I think of it, if Tadic score the pen, we win the game. Our luck will change, starting on Tuesday.

Exactly what we said in the pub after. We'd have picked them off on the break and won comfortably.

All the quality in the game was with us. Just lacked clinical finishing. Roll on Tuesday.