Tonny Vilhena

Pierre

Vilhena has just come on with 10 mins left they have put him in the Elia position on the left wing, some early passes.

Have to say I can see why people say the eredivsie is a lower quality there as some truly basic errors being made by both sides.

Edited by Convict Colony

Vilhena has a Wanayama esq shot from 30yards as their goalie went up for the corner, hard shot on his left near the touch line and disappears into the stands.

FT 2-1 to Feyenoord.

Vilhena didn't really have much time to do anything or get injured, Clasie was steady today after the Ajax game last week, was impressed by Van Beek but the general game was pretty average.

If he played for them today you would think its unlikely he will be a Saints player by the end of tomorrow.

Anyone think Koeman's comments about Vilhena on Friday were slightly out of order?

Imagine if Wenger was asked about Schneiderlin and said "Morgan's Agent spoke to me and said he wants to leave in the summer. He is a good player and hopefully he will come here."

We wouldn't be happy at all.

Edited by Saint Charlie

It's going to be even more tediously boring than usual - no one seems to be willing to pay over the top prices for players and it appears that most of the activity is already done?

Yeah the desperate sellers and desperate buyers seem to be a thing of the past.

I think Liverpool wasted their cash in the summer, can't see Arsenal doing anything else, Man U/Chelsea/City are just used as click bait in the papers with Cuadrado apparently done. Think Jim White will be reporting on "were hearing that a late bid has come in for "insert league 1 club player" most of the day.

If he played for them today you would think its unlikely he will be a Saints player by the end of tomorrow.

Anyone think Koeman's comments about Vilhena on Friday were slightly out of order?

Imagine if Wenger was asked about Schneiderlin and said "Morgan's Agent spoke to me and said he wants to leave in the summer. He is a good player and hopefully he will come here."

We wouldn't be happy at all.

Ron upset a few Barca fans the other day too by tweeting his support for Figo haha

Originally he's more of a number 10, attacking midfielder behind the striker. It's where he played in the youth teams, it's where he played when he won the under 17 European Championships in 2011 and 2012. But Koeman played him as a CM next to Clasie due to that position being available basically, while Clasie had more of a deep lying playmaker and holding role, Vilhena played more as a dynamic box to box midfielder with alot of drive forward.(Immers played in the 10 position) In that CM position Vilhena had 6 goals and 7 assists last season in the eredivisie. This season with Clasie perhaps unexpectedly staying and El Ahmadi's return, who I think originally was meant to be Clasie's replacement, Vilhena ended up on the bench. The manager chose for a more experienced and more defensively solid midfield as El Ahmadi and Vilhena are very different types of midfielders. I'm sure it also hasn't helped that Vilhena hasn't extended his contract since, back in October already negotiations were halted.

Vilhena has just come on with 10 mins left they have put him in the Elia position on the left wing, some early passes.

Have to say I can see why people say the eredivsie is a lower quality there as some truly basic errors being made by both sides.

The Eredivisie is of lower quality off course, players who stand out are immediately bought by foreign clubs with more money. The average age of the players is 23 years and that is the lowest in Europe. The avarage salary is 225K before taxes and I guess that's less than the average in the Championship. None the less the matches are usually more fun to watch than elsewhere in Europe because most Dutch clubs play to win instead of preventing a defeat. But that's the opinion of me as a Dutchman... :) Feyenoord's game against Ado was not a good example to be honest, it was boring by the lack of pace and the many mistakes. Vilhena is not the player to turn things around when needed and I don't understand why Koeman is eager to buy him. If you can't make it to the squad in Holland, you surely won't make it in the Premiership. It would be better for Vilhena to stay in Holland (maybe on loan with a different club) and become a key player before moving abroad. You're right about van Beek, he and Kongolo are doing great, especially considering their young age. I guess they will be ready for a move in about 2 years and Saints would be a great club for them to get used to the level in the Premiership. However, it will take serious money to buy them and I don't know if Saints can compete with the big clubs who are following them...

Southampton bid £2.2 million, Feyenoord expects a minimal of £5 million.

Unsettling a player, then showing up at the last day of the transfermarket and expecting to pick up a highly rated youngster for that low amount is a bit disappointing, really.

Yeah its pretty poor.

I do think Koeman is a little too open on some of his comments.

If Wenger had spoken about Schneiderlin in the same way RK did on Vilhena we would be going mad.

If we don't want to stump up the cash then don't say anything.

Yeah its pretty poor.

If Wenger had spoken about Schneiderlin in the same way RK did on Vilhena we would be going mad.

Yeah, he should have kept those comments to himself really. He should have showed a bit more respect to Feyenoord I think, especially considering the time he had there.

Yeah its pretty poor.

Ronald knows what he's doing. He's publicly trying to unsettle the player.

Showing that he'd be better off at Saints where he will fulfill his potential.

Firstly, I would prefer not to go and raid Feyenoord for all their best players. It's not nice to use our financial advantage. I know it's naive, that Feyenoord might rely on transfers and that if we don't do it, someone else will but it's not great "abusing" one's past there.

Secondly, it might seem bad that RK has voiced what he has. But, it's been out in the open for a fair while now, and wasn't RK only speaking about it yesterday? Or have I missed something earlier? While that doesn't excuse things (as agree he should keep his counsel) who actually released this in the first place? I imagine that it is the typical agent at work, looking for a pay day.

But why people expect anyone to behave properly any more is a bit of a mystery. If it's not a manager, it's the agent. If not the agent, it's the player. The favourite one is of course leaking stories to the press, which can of course be easily deniable. Liverpool and Ings is a classic one. Clyne - Man U. Morgan - Arsenal. Football is a ****ty business with very few morals. We all know that there is far too much money involved for gentlemanly behaviour to prevail.

Haha, cheers to the guy watching the game against Den Haag yesterday. 1st half was... okay. Den Haag were horrible though. 2nd half was one of the worst I have seen this season, but at least we won..

And indeed, Van Beek is a great defender. Good positioning, decent amount of strength and pace, great long passing. After the transfers of Martins Indi (Porto) and De Vrij (Lazio) there were some concerns, but with Van Beek and Kongolo we might even have a better centre at back. Too bad we couldn't effectively replace Janmaat.

In the Netherlands the rumour is spreading that RK has given up Vilhena and might opt to go for Kamohelo Mokotjo of FC Twente. Used to play at Feyenoord but could not outplay Clasie for the DM spot. Nonetheless, when he moved to PEC Zwolle he was great. At FC Twente he is decent at the moment. Don't know if the could make it in the BPL though, despite him having talent, which he mostly showcased during his PEC Zwolle time.

Haha, cheers to the guy watching the game against Den Haag yesterday. 1st half was... okay. Den Haag were horrible though. 2nd half was one of the worst I have seen this season, but at least we won..

And indeed, Van Beek is a great defender. Good positioning, decent amount of strength and pace, great long passing. After the transfers of Martins Indi (Porto) and De Vrij (Lazio) there were some concerns, but with Van Beek and Kongolo we might even have a better centre at back. Too bad we couldn't effectively replace Janmaat.

In the Netherlands the rumour is spreading that RK has given up Vilhena and might opt to go for Kamohelo Mokotjo of FC Twente. Used to play at Feyenoord but could not outplay Clasie for the DM spot. Nonetheless, when he moved to PEC Zwolle he was great. At FC Twente he is decent at the moment. Don't know if the could make it in the BPL though, despite him having talent, which he mostly showcased during his PEC Zwolle time.

Hey it wasn't that bad a game I enjoyed it more than the beginning of the Ajax game that followed but I think that was mainly because I was enjoying watching Van Beek and Clasie.

Do you think that maybe they are talking about Mokotjo to try and put pressure on Feyenoord to lower their price ? surely if Tonny isn't getting into the team some money is better to strengthen elsewhere (LIKE CENTRE FORWARD), what happened to the Pelle money ? Kazim-Richards is on there on loan so where did the Pelle money go ?

Hey it wasn't that bad a game I enjoyed it more than the beginning of the Ajax game that followed but I think that was mainly because I was enjoying watching Van Beek and Clasie.

Do you think that maybe they are talking about Mokotjo to try and put pressure on Feyenoord to lower their price ? surely if Tonny isn't getting into the team some money is better to strengthen elsewhere (LIKE CENTRE FORWARD), what happened to the Pelle money ? Kazim-Richards is on there on loan so where did the Pelle money go ?

The Pelle money went largely into removing earlier debts. We also sold De Vrij, Martins Indi and Janmaat which brought in a lot of money. We brought in about 30 million Euro's and spent less than a third back into the squad (Toornstra 3,5 mil Euro's, Basacikoglu 2,5 mil, Vermeer 800.000, El Ahmadi 750.000 and a couple free transfers and loans).

The Vilhena transfer is 100% off according to Dutch media. The highest bid that was made was 3 million Euro's which is really embarassing and insulting to be honest. Saints have tons of money to spend and are lowballing to the extreme with that figure. Vilhena should fetch at least 5 million Euro's with a sell-on percentage.

The Pelle money went largely into removing earlier debts. We also sold De Vrij, Martins Indi and Janmaat which brought in a lot of money. We brought in about 30 million Euro's and spent less than a third back into the squad (Toornstra 3,5 mil Euro's, Basacikoglu 2,5 mil, Vermeer 800.000, El Ahmadi 750.000 and a couple free transfers and loans).

The Vilhena transfer is 100% off according to Dutch media. The highest bid that was made was 3 million Euro's which is really embarassing and insulting to be honest. Saints have tons of money to spend and are lowballing to the extreme with that figure. Vilhena should fetch at least 5 million Euro's with a sell-on percentage.

It's disappointing we've bid this low, but we have played this sort of game before with other players in the past such as Wanyama for example so i'm not surprised.

We're getting Classie instead. ;)

More details about the transfer-offer now released by Vilhena's agent, who claims he and Vilhena are insulted by Southampton's offer as they felt he was only used as a cheap bargain option.

The first offer made by Les Reed was to sign Vilhena on a free loan for 6 months, with an option to possibly buy him in the future.

The second offer was £600.000x3 panned out over 3 years, meaning Feyenoord would have received £1.800.000 by the end of 2016. An added bonus of £300.000 if Southampton will reach the Champions League (!)

Now, I don't know exactly what Les Reed was thinking, but I think all he did was insulted both parties and in no way will Vilhena go to Southampton in the summer.

I'm sure that most Southampton fans won't really mind as they don't know Vilhena, but I think regardless of the player this is really bad manners from your director.

More details about the transfer-offer now released by Vilhena's agent, who claims he and Vilhena are insulted by Southampton's offer as they felt he was only used as a cheap bargain option.

The first offer made by Les Reed was to sign Vilhena on a free loan for 6 months, with an option to possibly buy him in the future.

The second offer was £600.000x3 panned out over 3 years, meaning Feyenoord would have received £1.800.000 by the end of 2016. An added bonus of £300.000 if Southampton will reach the Champions League (!)

Now, I don't know exactly what Les Reed was thinking, but I think all he did was insulted both parties and in no way will Vilhena go to Southampton in the summer.

I'm sure that most Southampton fans won't really mind as they don't know Vilhena, but I think regardless of the player this is really bad manners from your director.

Doubt any offence was meant it's just the way things are in modern football we make offers for players as low as we think we can get away with while demanding top dollar for our own players every club is the same if they are honest. Do Feyenoord always pay the asking price for players they buy? Do they not start with a low offer when looking to buy a player?

Doubt any offence was meant it's just the way things are in modern football we make offers for players as low as we think we can get away with while demanding top dollar for our own players every club is the same if they are honest. Do Feyenoord always pay the asking price for players they buy? Do they not start with a low offer when looking to buy a player?

When the player himself is insulted after being publicly unsettled, you've probably done something wrong. Understand that the player himself had to take the risk to step up mid-season and speak out to the fans that he would want to leave the team, only to be let down by Southampton.

I'm sure the player was so insulted that he had his passport in hand hoping it was accepted.

If we want him enough to increase offer I'm sure player and club will swallow their pride and negotiate.

A low offer is business.

Perhaps publicising it is only insulting thing ;)

Shouldn't the player want to be sold as cheaply as possible so that his new team has the money to strengthen even more?

Also, despite beliefs to the contrary we did not have lots and lots of money to spend in January if we are going to show a FFP profit for this season and I believe there are good reasons to do so if we think we might qualify for Europe.