Tonny Vilhena

Pierre

After that performance on Saturday, I think Cork had made his mind up before the weekend. He couldn't have looked less interested.

I was thinking about this the other day when we were linked to Classi.

We hate/d Liverpool for raiding ou club again n again. I was angree n thinking there are so many other clubs out there, go n look at their players! !

Are we just doing the same?

My only saving thought is that Ron came from there and it's not uncommon for managers to bring ex players with them and go back to the old club to sign players.

So maybe we aren't quite SO bad?!

Thoughts?

We hate/d Liverpool for raiding ou club again n again. I was angree n thinking there are so many other clubs out there, go n look at their players! !

My only saving thought is that Ron came from there and it's not uncommon for managers to bring ex players with them and go back to the old club to sign players.

Thoughts?

Plus it is very common for good players to move on (out of) the Dutch league. They are used to it and even better prepared than we showed last summer, it is routine. Do it in the right way and, as appears to have happened, some of the old club fans even start to follow us

I can claim little meaningful knowledge of this particular player, but if this report is correct it is yet more evidence that we do seem to be focusing our interest on players the manager already knows and trusts. That's all well and good as far as it goes, but it does raise a question mark over whether we are in danger of missing out on potentially better players just because they don't happen to have played in the Eredivisie before.

Another potential problem with this strategy is that when the manager eventually leaves - and he will at some stage of course - we may be left with a sizable group of unsettled players who want off too because they owe their allegiance not to SFC, but to RK personally.

So are we storing up problems for the future here?

I am happy enough that a coach brings in players he knows and trusts intead of players who are:

- touted by agents

- are only known by their good stats and youtube vids

- are tipped by a chairman/sponsor/ other player

Besides that our ventures in Italy and South America have been pretty disasterous, we can't afford Spanish or German players, English players are overpriced, so that basically leaves Scandinavians, Dutch, belgians and Eastern Europe (who are usually of to Russia). Not strange to focus on the Eredivisie. There are bargains out there.

I am happy enough that a coach brings in players he knows and trusts intead of players who are:

- touted by agents

- are only known by their good stats and youtube vids

- are tipped by a chairman/sponsor/ other player

Besides that our ventures in Italy and South America have been pretty disasterous, we can't afford Spanish or German players, English players are overpriced, so that basically leaves Scandinavians, Dutch, belgians and Eastern Europe (who are usually of to Russia). Not strange to focus on the Eredivisie. There are bargains out there.

I'm pretty sure Uncle Les assured us that the club has a comprehensive scouting network in place to ensure that we are not entirely reliant upon YouTube to find players.

There's nothing wrong per se with signing players from the Eredivisie of course, but methinks you exaggerate your case when you claim there are only a few exclusive areas on this big planet where we might find good players. Why should we not again find new players from Asia, Africa, or S America, as so many other PL clubs do ... even the French have been known to produce a decent player or two every now and then!

No, I say we should 'cast our net' as widely as possible, and if one day we end up with what is effectively a Eredivisie squad in exile then I for one would find that situation to be more than a little odd. Before the forum's more hysterical members jump in again, I do know we are not there yet ...

Of Vilhena he said: “We are interested in the player because that player is not happy in Feyenoord.

“He likes to play more and is interested in changing the club.

“I like the player, I believe in the qualities of the player, he’s a young player who is 20-years-old.

“It’s one of the philosophies of the club to have young players and if I can help the player I like to do it.”

Thoughts?

As a Feyenoord fan who's been following Southampton since this season, obviously because Pelle and Koeman joined, I think it's ok and natural for some of our players to move on. I've accepted that we're not playing in a top league and that all players have the ambition to play at the highest level. Pelle was unholdable for us after two seasons with us. Koeman served out his contract. And if Vilhena also goes fair enough. And if Clasie happens to go to Southampton in the summer that's ok as well, if he's not going to Southampton he'll leave for another foreign team.

Every players that leaves Feyenoord to go the bigger leagues and succeeds is good advertisement for the Feyenoord academy and therefore we can get a bigger transfer fee the next time someone is interested in one of our players. I'd rather see our players leave to a side where they will get a chance to play and develop in the first team, then what the bigger clubs do: sign a lot of 16 years from our youth academies and then after a few seasons they come back on loan to another club in the Dutch League (Ebecilio, Rekik, Bruma, etc.). without the players developing at all.

First post btw so hi all

As a Feyenoord fan who's been following Southampton since this season, obviously because Pelle and Koeman joined, I think it's ok and natural for some of our players to move on. I've accepted that we're not playing in a top league and that all players have the ambition to play at the highest level. Pelle was unholdable for us after two seasons with us. Koeman served out his contract. And if Vilhena also goes fair enough. And if Clasie happens to go to Southampton in the summer that's ok as well, if he's not going to Southampton he'll leave for another foreign team.

Every players that leaves Feyenoord to go the bigger leagues and succeeds is good advertisement for the Feyenoord academy and therefore we can get a bigger transfer fee the next time someone is interested in one of our players. I'd rather see our players leave to a side where they will get a chance to play and develop in the first team, then what the bigger clubs do: sign a lot of 16 years from our youth academies and then after a few seasons they come back on loan to another club in the Dutch League (Ebecilio, Rekik, Bruma, etc.). without the players developing at all.

First post btw so hi all

Cheers for posting, good to hear from you guys. We have a few Feyenoord fans on here now!

Out of interest - what are your views on Tonny as a player?

First post btw so hi all

Hi - Thanks for posting - probably a too pragmatic and sensible viewpoint for this forum, but welcome aboard anyway :)

Cheers for posting, good to hear from you guys. We have a few Feyenoord fans on here now!

Out of interest - what are your views on Tonny as a player?

This season he's had a bit of a setback, and with two newly bought midfielders (El Ahmadi and Toornstra) he's lost his place in the starting XI. But he's a quality player, I reckon he's not good enough to fight himself in the starting XI, but he's a quality player to have on the bench. At Feyenoord he's played left midfield for the majority of games, where he's actually an attacking midfielder. The few games he played as an attacking midfielder he has been great.

He's still very young and he's played a lot for someone his ages, if Southampton were to buy him don't expect miracles in the first season. But in a year or maybe a little longer he could be a starting player. Depending ofcourse who comes and goes.

This season he's had a bit of a setback, and with two newly bought midfielders (El Ahmadi and Toornstra) he's lost his place in the starting XI. But he's a quality player, I reckon he's not good enough to fight himself in the starting XI, but he's a quality player to have on the bench. At Feyenoord he's played left midfield for the majority of games, where he's actually an attacking midfielder. The few games he played as an attacking midfielder he has been great.

He's still very young and he's played a lot for someone his ages, if Southampton were to buy him don't expect miracles in the first season. But in a year or maybe a little longer he could be a starting player. Depending ofcourse who comes and goes.

As we're likely to play him as an attacking mid I suppose we may see the performances we want sooner.

What's his finishing like, and can he shoot from distance?

First post btw so hi all

Welcome. Good first post btw

I like the views from our Dutch buddies. Welcome Soloistic.

Likewise, all decent informative posts and come across as top people, if we had to have a fanbase abroad with foreign fans coming over for games the Dutch would be my choice, they understand fan culture well.

Some quotes from Koeman about Vilhena

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 5m5 minutes ago

Koeman: "The case of Vilhena is that the management of player called me & they were afraid about his situation at Feyenood"

"Tonny is 20, he played a lot in Holland, he played 80-85 per cent of the games in two seasons when I was the coach in Feyenoord"

"It is part of our philosophy in the club to have young players. That's not a risk"

Another scouting report, this one from 2013 and is quite a long - http://espn.go.com/blog/thescoutsnotebook/post/_/id/280

Didn't know his agent is Mino Raiola :scared:

Sounds like there is tons of potential and ability there, bit of a worry in terms of the players he's currently stuck behind at Feyenoord not exactly being exceptional, but that helps us and makes him a lot easier to sign than if he was a first team regular.

Yeah I think it is about the management belief in the player in his formation than anything else judging by the Feyanoord forum. When he played for Ron he played a lot and scored a few goals but having checked their forum it seems Clasie was talking about Feyanoord not trying to win the league this year and the belief has changed so maybe they are set up not to lose rather than to win games.

Hopefully our new Feyanoord fans can fill us in ?

Edited by Convict Colony

Another scouting report, this one from 2013 and is quite a long - http://espn.go.com/blog/thescoutsnotebook/post/_/id/280

Didn't know his agent is Mino Raiola :scared:

Raiola isn't his agent anymore. Vilhena stopped working with him after he made a few bad comments about moving him on from Feyenoord.

His agents are now at the Stellar Group in England (same agency that moved Bale to Real Madrid).

Feyenoord have rejected a first bid btw. Saints have forwarded an improved second offer. No reports on the number that has been offered.

Wonder if we have put ourselves behind the eight ball - negotiating with Feyenoord after selling Cork, rather than before.

From the comments at the press conference yesterday we have clearly been negotiating with two clubs regarding potential replacements before Jack was authorised to leave.