Tonny Vilhena

Pierre

The article this is based on states if he signs he'd be replacing Cork if he doesn't sign a new deal and is sold soon.
Cork, who isn't being sold this window. When Wanyama and Schneiderlin are both back to full fitness one of Cork, Reed or this Vilhena chap wouldn't make the bench.

Cork, who isn't being sold this window. When Wanyama and Schneiderlin are both back to full fitness one of Cork, Reed or this Vilhena chap wouldn't make the bench.

The press are suggesting if Cork doesn't sign a new deal then he might be sold this window, with Vilhena as his replacement. That way Saints get a fee for Cork and a replacement at the same time.

The press are suggesting if Cork doesn't sign a new deal then he might be sold this window, with Vilhena as his replacement. That way Saints get a fee for Cork and a replacement at the same time.
That'd make more sense, just can't see it being rushed through that quick. Makes for a potentially interesting end to the Transfer Window anyway.

What the f*ck do we have an Academy for, when Koeman intends filling the squad with 20 year old Dutch players. At the start of the season he told us he was bringing in experienced senior players to help our Academy players learn and develop.

What the f*ck do we have an Academy for, when Koeman intends filling the squad with 20 year old Dutch players. At the start of the season he told us he was bringing in experienced senior players to help our Academy players learn and develop.

Have you not noticed Koeman has given a lot of match time and involvement in the 1st team match day squad and training to a large number of Saints academy players?

Yup, it would be nice to bring the academy through wholescale. But...no one has been signed yet and frankly I don't really give a **** any more if all that happens is that they bugger off after having played 22 PL games. It was an interesting journey down and back up again, but now that we are where we are, my naivety has sadly gone to be replaced by a realism and intense dislike for the way things are. Still, I guess I'll be renewing the ST without hesitation.

Yup, it would be nice to bring the academy through wholescale. But...no one has been signed yet and frankly I don't really give a **** any more if all that happens is that they bugger off after having played 22 PL games. It was an interesting journey down and back up again, but now that we are where we are, my naivety has sadly gone to be replaced by a realism and intense dislike for the way things are. Still, I guess I'll be renewing the ST without hesitation.

Yup, its terrible being 3rd in the league and seeing exciting players mixed with homegrown talent....

I can claim little meaningful knowledge of this particular player, but if this report is correct it is yet more evidence that we do seem to be focusing our interest on players the manager already knows and trusts. That's all well and good as far as it goes, but it does raise a question mark over whether we are in danger of missing out on potentially better players just because they don't happen to have played in the Eredivisie before.

Another potential problem with this strategy is that when the manager eventually leaves - and he will at some stage of course - we may be left with a sizable group of unsettled players who want off too because they owe their allegiance not to SFC, but to RK personally.

So are we storing up problems for the future here?

I can claim little meaningful knowledge of this particular player, but if this report is correct it is yet more evidence that we do seem to be focusing our interest on players the manager already knows and trusts. That's all well and good as far as it goes, but it does raise a question mark over whether we are in danger of missing out on potentially better players just because they don't happen to have played in the Eredivisie before.

Another potential problem with this strategy is that when the manager eventually leaves - and he will at some stage of course - we may be left with a sizable group of unsettled players who want off too because they owe their allegiance not to SFC, but to RK personally.

flipping hell, talk about inventing problems and desperately searching for issues. This is one of the most ridiculous posts ive seen lately. What....we should only sign players who have an allegiance to Saints? That narrows it down a bit. And I'm pretty certain that we haven't a adopted a policy of only signing players from the Dutch league.

You're looking for something to moan about, have stumbled upon an idiotic point and seem rather pleased to share your stupidity with the forum. Get a grip, you massive tool.

flipping hell, talk about inventing problems and desperately searching for issues. This is one of the most ridiculous posts ive seen lately. What....we should only sign players who have an allegiance to Saints? That narrows it down a bit. And I'm pretty certain that we haven't a adopted a policy of only signing players from the Dutch league.

You're looking for something to moan about, have stumbled upon an idiotic point and seem rather pleased to share your stupidity with the forum. Get a grip, you massive tool.

Oh do calm down Dierdre.

ha! Me calm down? You're the one sh*tting your pants because we might sign players who might want to leave if Koeman leaves.

There is nothing to worry about. We are grooming Dave Watson to take over for Ron Koeman and all the players like him except for Forster, oddly enough.

Don't think so. Anyone who signs will have the club's structure explained to them.

Besides, this chap would only be our third Eredivisie signing out of 10 this season. We've also signed from England, Spain, Germany, Austria, Scotland, Romania and Italy.

Edited by DuncanRG

Seems a bit over dramatic. If you're always looking for what will go wrong when anything currently positive ends, there's not much to enjoy. One day RK wil leave, one day KL will sell the club, one day Morgan will be sold, one day Les Reed will retire, one day Fonte will be too old, etc.

Just calm down and relax and enjoy the good bits. One day we'll be rubbish again, inevitably, but it's not yet.

Don't think so. Anyone who signs will have the club's structure explained to them.

Besides, this chap would only be our third Eredivisie signing out of 10 this season. We've also signed from England, Spain, Germany, Austria, Scotland, Romania and Italy.

Probably me being thick, but who did we sign from Italy this season? (Pelle being from the Eredivisie)

But the one from Germany (Elia) is really an Eredivisie product as well, so that really means 4 out of 9 (because Taider really doesn't count). Still signing from the Eredivisie is a terrible idea, we could have ended up with Bony or even Suarez if we had pursued this policy before.

The papers here say this window vilhena and in the summer Clasie. Vilhena now wants to move because clasie and El ahmadi are in front of him. To little chances to play. Good player, Will fit in premier Leaque like Tadic and Pelle . Now i know why the shirt of the saints was similar to Feyenoord in 1885?.

The papers here say this window vilhena and in the summer Clasie. Vilhena now wants to move because clasie and El ahmadi are in front of him. To little chances to play.

Vilhena is gonna be so mad if we sign Clasie in summer! :lol: He's the new Wayne Bridge.

Clasie is a good player but I don't think he'll ever become great, and if he goes to Southampton it will be because of Koeman mainly. I think Southampton should take a look at Marco van Ginkel, he's a player much more like Morgan Schneiderlin. In the 2013 youth European Championship he kept Clasie out of the first 11 and rightly so. He's always been regarded as a bigger talent than Clasie and I think he has much more potential. In his last season in the Eredivisie he was defensively solid and second top scorer at Vitesse with 12 goals in all competitions, behind Bony. Those two were the driving force behind Vitesse's title run and the club still hasn't recovered from losing them.

The biggest reason why he signed for Chelsea in 2013 is because Vitesse, the club where he's from is owned by one of Abramovich's buddies and it's basically used as a chelsea light, with heavy ties between the clubs. Everyone here in the Netherlands was sad to see van Ginkel go to London and there were reports he wanted to go to Ajax instead. However Mourinho vouched for getting him personally so Vitesse refused Ajax, who made a higher bid than Chelsea did, and they sent him to daddy-club Chelsea.

Also I bet it's hard to say no to the kind of money the blues offer for 19 year old...

Anyway, he got injured badly early in his first season there, and when he recovered he already was out of favour at the fast moving Chelsea. I think van Ginkel could be another player who could flourish at Southampton, under the reign of Koeman. He potentially could become a fantastic midfielder, unlike Clasie who will be great, but never anything more.

Clasie is a good player but I don't think he'll ever become great, and if he goes to Southampton it will be because of Koeman mainly. I think Southampton should take a look at Marco van Ginkel, he's a player much more like Morgan Schneiderlin. In the 2013 youth European Championship he kept Clasie out of the first 11 and rightly so. He's always been regarded as a bigger talent than Clasie and I think he has much more potential. In his last season in the Eredivisie he was defensively solid and second top scorer at Vitesse with 12 goals in all competitions, behind Bony. Those two were the driving force behind Vitesse's title run and the club still hasn't recovered from losing them.

The biggest reason why he signed for Chelsea in 2013 is because Vitesse, the club where he's from is owned by one of Abramovich's buddies and it's basically used as a chelsea light, with heavy ties between the clubs. Everyone here in the Netherlands was sad to see van Ginkel go to London and there were reports he wanted to go to Ajax instead. However Mourinho vouched for getting him personally so Vitesse refused Ajax, who made a higher bid than Chelsea did, and they sent him to daddy-club Chelsea.

Also I bet it's hard to say no to the kind of money the blues offer for 19 year old...

Anyway, he got injured badly early in his first season there, and when he recovered he already was out of favour at the fast moving Chelsea. I think van Ginkel could be another player who could flourish at Southampton, under the reign of Koeman. He potentially could become a fantastic midfielder, unlike Clasie who will be great, but never anything more.

He (van Ginkel) certainly has a lot of talent, I think Chelsea's valuation may well make him beyond Saints though.

Seems a bit over dramatic. If you're always looking for what will go wrong when anything currently positive ends, there's not much to enjoy. One day RK wil leave, one day KL will sell the club, one day Morgan will be sold, one day Les Reed will retire, one day Fonte will be too old, etc.

Just calm down and relax and enjoy the good bits. One day we'll be rubbish again, inevitably, but it's not yet.

Well thanks for your concern my Scandinavian friend, but you'll be pleased to learn that (despite one ridiculously OTT reaction) I've managed to remain perfectly calm all day.

Back to the issue at hand - I put it to you that one of the reasons many progressive clubs are now replacing traditional 'Managers' with 'Head Coaches' is to avoid, or at least lessen, the problem of 'their' players wanting to follow the manager who signed them out of the same door when he goes. Clearly this concern does not rate very highly here at the moment, and considering how well things have gone so far this season that is quite understandable. But perhaps one day issue this might just come back to bite us. That is all.

Now instead of attempting to raise what seems to me this mildly debatable issue, I should perhaps have posted how good this player looks on some silly kid's computer game. But as I'm not a teenager and I don't use my laptop for playing games on anyway I can't really do that. Maybe a dull comment on how impressive his YouTube clip looks would have met with widespread approval. But as almost any player can be edited to look good on there I don't really see the point of that either to be honest about it.

He (van Ginkel) certainly has a lot of talent, I think Chelsea's valuation may well make him beyond Saints though.

A buy right away might be too much, but maybe a loan deal can be made for one season, with a set price to buy at the end, like with Bertrand. That way the risk isn't too big.

Jesse - welcome. Are you Dutch?

Yes I am, I followed Southampton after the Koeman bros and Pellè joined. I must say, the club has quite the appeal to a dutchman. It really has a dutch feel, with a youth academy that actually produces youth for its own first team regularly, and a manegement that doesn't let panick rule and buys. I like that the club actually has a direction instead of going with whatever the current manager wants, like most of the PL bg clubs seem to have.

I think van Ginkel would be great for Southampton, he's a great talent but he's never gonna break into chelsea's first 11 now. He's not a ready made player yet. But a season or 2 at Southampton and he'll be a dutch NT starter for sure. With Clasie that's still the question. I don't think he'll ever reach the quality needed to break into the top 16 clubs of Europe. He has very little offensive game himself, he rarely gets into the oppositions box and he rarely scores. He does have a majestic pass from time to time and he's a real fighter, but he's only 169cm (5 feet 5) which is small for a defensive midfielder. Wanyama is 20 cm taller! That really makes a difference in a physical league. In short, Clasie might be a good player for a subtop club, and he might do great at Southampton, but I feel van Ginkel might become something better.