Pellé getting some stick from our fans.....fair or not?

david in sweden

Someone near me was moaning every time Pelle touched the ball. The guy is low in confidence, remember Mane earlier in the season and see how his form has picked up. Booing him helps no-one, not Pelle or any of the other players for that matter, it was good to hear at least the Northam sing his name.

a) no point in kicking a man when he is down.

b) no point in openly criticising him, given the alternatives available, as that won't make him play any better.

c) he knows he's not firing on all cylinders.

critcise on here but do not do so at the game perhaps

Not sure if you were at the game, but when he fluffed a chance in front of the Northam, they started singing his name which he responded by giving a thumbs up.

Pelle is an overpaid talented footballer like many others.... he shines with the right players around him for 90 minutes and Mane and our new boy are just not intelligent enough to play off him as Tadic does.... So my view is that with a player so rigidly moulded in his own style , its foolish to have him up front with his back to goal so often without key players around him. Why did I mention overpaid ? because Pelle does not have the incentive he had in Holland. He may love the game but a huge financial comfort zone has been placed around him and this effects some players and not others.... I suspect it may effect him. Also in his defence Koeman is starting to show a lack of imagination when it comes to tactics and this coupled with our injury list means Pelle is going to find it difficult. So in answer to the question is the flack justified.... I would say "in some respects".... but there are other influences on his performances for sure that he is not in command of... he is certainly not another Guly... LOL

If he pulled off that spectacular overhead attempt last night, all this would be a non-issue and people would be championing him again.

Too be fair, his lack of gaols is a little frustrating, but at the same time he has been putting in a shift every game. Hard to fault a player who is working his socks off, forever pressing and chasing balls. Give him time and he will be back to scoring.

Outside the final third, thought he had one of his better games- absolutely bullied Kouyate; inside it was a different matter.

In the first half, curiously opted to play a lofted one-two when a shot was opening up on his left; then in the second half, thrashed several decent chances, the one from Mane's cross being the worst. Not the first time, recently, he's tried to smash the ball rather than place it, a sure symptom of low confidence. Thought he did very well to make the diving header at the end; but, on the whole, a very frustrating night.

Pellè didn't have a great game tonight, but the bigger problem is lack of creativity around him. We're not doing enough in that regard.

Pretty much all we need to do is mix up all of our short play near the goal with a few early crosses and we'll become a lot more threatening - we've got into a routine of always overplaying it near the box and we're a little too predictable as a result. A few earlier crosses from Tadic/Mane/Elia/Ward-Prowse that turn the defence will both make them think twice about not worrying about defending the line or the cross, and also give Pelle a few more opportunities where he doesn't already have a bloke stood in front of him ready to block.

I'm not too bothered about his lack of goals as long as his role is creating space for others to score - which was the case up until last night. He's always been a bit ropy on the passing front with a tendency to dink rubbish balls and occasionally mistime shots, even when he was scoring.

I don't remember the fans getting on Rickie's back quite so much when he scored three goals from open play in 12 months, or whatever it was.

I do appreciate that perhaps Rickie had 'earned' that time, though.

Some of us were ahead of the game on that front, but even so it wasn't particularly worthwhile barracking Lambert for not being faster or younger.

Enjoyed singing about him to Andy Carroll last night though, more so now that Lambert's stock has fallen so predictably that it's actually an insult rather than a verifiable fact as it used to be.

Pretty much all we need to do is mix up all of our short play near the goal with a few early crosses and we'll become a lot more threatening - we've got into a routine of always overplaying it near the box and we're a little too predictable as a result. A few earlier crosses from Tadic/Mane/Elia/Ward-Prowse that turn the defence will both make them think twice about not worrying about defending the line or the cross, and also give Pelle a few more opportunities where he doesn't already have a bloke stood in front of him ready to block.

I'm not too bothered about his lack of goals as long as his role is creating space for others to score - which was the case up until last night. He's always been a bit ropy on the passing front with a tendency to dink rubbish balls and occasionally mistime shots, even when he was scoring.

We played several early crosses -JWP in particular- but they they were almost always chipped or floated in. One good ball did find unmarked Tadic at the far post but he dwelt too long on it. But that was the exception. The other noticeable thing from last night is how long it takes Pelle to assume a position in the box, almost as long as Lambert, which again works against the early cross.

This is pretty much it. It's very easy to just throw a universal net over Pelle as he's supposed to be scoring the goals, but there's so much more to it than that. I think you're spot on in terms of our predictability, even I knew what we would do once we got past midfield after about 30mins - and it was just bread and butter for the WHU defenders most of the time.

We need to speed it up, more movement, more fluidity. We just seemed all too static last night in the final third. We're full of pace up there with Elia and Mane but they didn't use it. The midfielders struggled to make the forward passes because the front 3 weren't making good enough movement to open it up. The too many touches thing was the most frustrating aspect of last night. I personally think that comes from confidence. Tadic and Pelle are the 2 most guilty at just trying too many touches to make it 'easier' for them, rather than just taking it there and then.

Obviously, WHU condensed the play a bit and defended well - but it's in those situations where you need speed, width, variation in play. If you're playing a well organised and condensed team then you'll never score if you try the same every time.

Backwards, Sideways, Backwards, Sideways etc. Need to see a hell of a lot more life from Mane and Elia in those sorts of games.