2015/16 squad numbers

Matthew Le God

Sightly surprised that Hesketh, Seager and Debayo haven't been given squad numbers. Of course they can be added, but Hesketh has already featured and Debayo is out in Holland with the first team squad now. No big deal, just somewhat surprised by their omission.

I think Debayo is largely out there by default - Bertrand's going to miss the start of the season, by the look of it, and Targett only returned to training a week ago. I would have thought Martina will be on the right when called upon, he didn't look comfortable on the left against Valencia.

Hesketh and Seager are slightly more surprising, but I guess they'll get allocated numbers as and when they're going to be in the first team squad.

We may decide to alloocate squad numbers to some or all of the younger players when we submit our Europa League squad list (due no later than tomorrow), which can contain a unlimited number of B list** players.

Europa league rules

My reading is that it's probably not essential because you can add B list players up to 24 hours before a match but any player we do register has to be allocated a squad number at the time of registration. The club may opt to register the entire U21 squad in case any are needed at any stage in the competition.

**A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1994 and

has been eligible to play for the club concerned for any uninterrupted period of

two years since his 15th birthday by the time he is registered with UEFA. Players

aged 16 may be registered on List B if they have been registered with the

participating club for the previous two years without interruption.

West Ham appear to have registered their entire playing squad

West Ham Europa Squad

I think Debayo is largely out there by default - Bertrand's going to miss the start of the season, by the look of it, and Targett only returned to training a week ago. I would have thought Martina will be on the right when called upon, he didn't look comfortable on the left against Valencia.

Hesketh and Seager are slightly more surprising, but I guess they'll get allocated numbers as and when they're going to be in the first team squad.

Agreed, almost seems like Hesketh has gone backwards a bit, given he was in the first team squad last season.

Foster is 44. Wont play this season, clearly

Gashton has a squad number - boll*cks. No one wants him.

No space for a new CB - utter disaster.

Surprised at the gap at 17.

Uberlollage.

Forty-Forster apparently chose it because FF looks a bit like 44 and he didn't want to keep 23 because of superstition after the injury. All indications are that he'll be back before Xmas, and if he isn't, well, Stekelenburg is a good keeper and Gazzaniga is starting to look like a decent backup.

Ramirez is a useful player to have around with the extra games in Europe (hopefully) and his style being more suited to European matches.

By "no space" do you mean "we haven't got a number gap?", as there are 3 of those even in the existing numbering, AND we can add higher numbers.

Gap at 17 also fits the "number gap" theory, especially given that a centre back wore it last season.

Finally... :facepalm:

Re: Debayo, he wore 14 one of the recent friendlies (when everyone else wore their allocated squad number).

Mayuka's Instagram is doing a good job of implying he's still at the club, he has a picture of him wearing a new adidas training top (over his shirt and tie), so that was a good investment of £33 if it helps get him a new deal somewhere.

Pretty sure his contract got paid up, he had a briefly-posted tweet saying something like "goodbye" before it was hastily-removed, probably on his agent's advice. He was training before the end of last season so he's not still got the terrible groin tear he acquired stretching for a cross at the African Cup of Nations (having failed to anticipate the cross in the first place).

Is he listed as out of contract on the FA list, I know we didn't actually announce him as released but then his contract term wasn't complete?

Mayuka's Instagram is doing a good job of implying he's still at the club, he has a picture of him wearing a new adidas training top (over his shirt and tie), so that was a good investment of £33 if it helps get him a new deal somewhere.

Pretty sure his contract got paid up, he had a briefly-posted tweet saying something like "goodbye" before it was hastily-removed, probably on his agent's advice. He was training before the end of last season so he's not still got the terrible groin tear he acquired stretching for a cross at the African Cup of Nations (having failed to anticipate the cross in the first place).

Is he listed as out of contract on the FA list, I know we didn't actually announce him as released but then his contract term wasn't complete?

Guessing we've just left him behind after telling him he's got no future. We're probably stuck with him as nobody will pay the wages he's on.

Guessing we've just left him behind after telling him he's got no future. We're probably stuck with him as nobody will pay the wages he's on.

That's why I think we've paid him up. That and the "goodbye" tweet.

Uberlollage.

Forty-Forster apparently chose it because FF looks a bit like 44 and he didn't want to keep 23 because of superstition after the injury. All indications are that he'll be back before Xmas, and if he isn't, well, Stekelenburg is a good keeper and Gazzaniga is starting to look like a decent backup.

Ramirez is a useful player to have around with the extra games in Europe (hopefully) and his style being more suited to European matches.

By "no space" do you mean "we haven't got a number gap?", as there are 3 of those even in the existing numbering, AND we can add higher numbers.

Gap at 17 also fits the "number gap" theory, especially given that a centre back wore it last season.

Finally... :facepalm:

He just came in his pants reading that.

How have you jumped to that conclusion?

Pathetic.

How have you jumped to that conclusion?

Why are you surprised at that?

I think the days of team numbers 1-11 are long gone (sadly), but it really doesn't matter what number a player has as long as he CDAJFU.

We've heard of clubs where (for example) they have " pensioned " the no.7 shirt (to honour a former legend), and who was the player who always had no. 99 ?

Some players like certain numbers. South Americans like no.10 . I always associate the no.9 with a big striker, whereas Lallana was seemingly happy with no.20.......

Running out of consecutive numbered shirts is the very least of our problems. The real issue is surely getting someone good enough to fill it .

I think the days of team numbers 1-11 are long gone (sadly), but it really doesn't matter what number a player has as long as he CDAJFU.

We've heard of clubs where (for example) they have " pensioned " the no.7 shirt (to honour a former legend), and who was the player who always had no. 99 ?

I haven't, and no-one, respectively.

Ronaldo wore no. 99 at AC Milan

ern2pw.jpg

There are also several examples of clubs 'retiring' shirt numbers. Milan have done it with Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini's numbers, West Ham have retired Bobby Moore's number 6 shirt etc.

West Ham aren't actually allowed to retire Moore's number according to Premier League regulations, they just "happen" not to allocate it every season nowadays, they had a number 6 from Moore's death circa 1993 (also around the time that squad numbers came in) up until fairly recently. There are plenty of examples of it, just not in England, which is the only place it matters if we're talking about Saints doing it.

West Ham aren't actually allowed to retire Moore's number according to Premier League regulations, they just "happen" not to allocate it every season nowadays, they had a number 6 from Moore's death circa 1993 (also around the time that squad numbers came in) up until fairly recently. There are plenty of examples of it, just not in England, which is the only place it matters if we're talking about Saints doing it.

What does the regulation say? Because the way round it is so obvious it seems pointless there being a rule.

West Ham aren't actually allowed to retire Moore's number according to Premier League regulations, they just "happen" not to allocate it every season nowadays, they had a number 6 from Moore's death circa 1993 (also around the time that squad numbers came in) up until fairly recently.

There are plenty of examples of it, just not in England, which is the only place it matters if we're talking about Saints doing it.

I don't think anyone suggested that Saints should do it "9", but the original questioner suggested it would be a problem to find " low numbers" for incoming signings.

My point was.....it doesn't matter what numbered shirt anyone plays in - as long as they are good enough to wear it ......

What does the regulation say? Because the way round it is so obvious it seems pointless there being a rule.

Nothing specific any more since the recent rewrite (they've also got rid of the minimum occasions shirts need to be worn in the past few years), but numbers must be consecutive "unless otherwise agreed" - they tend to be a lot less stringent than they used to though, lots of gaps appearing. I think they're starting to view it like foul throws...

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2014-15.pdf

Player Identification

M.1. Before the commencement of each Season each Club shall allocate a different shirt number

to each member of its first team squad.

M.2. A Club shall likewise allocate a shirt number to any Player joining its first team squad during

the Season.

M.3. Save with the prior written consent of the Board shirt numbers shall commence with the

number one and shall be allocated consecutively.

M.4. While he remains with the Club a Player will retain his shirt number throughout the Season

for which it was allocated.

M.5. Upon a Player leaving a Club the shirt number allocated to him may be re-allocated.

M.6. Each Club shall forthwith provide to the Secretary on Form 12 full details in writing of shirt

numbers allocated so that throughout each Season the Secretary is aware of the names of

members of the first team squad of each Club and the shirt numbers allocated to them.

M.7. When playing in League Matches each Player shall wear a shirt on the back of which shall be

prominently displayed his shirt number so as to be clearly visible in accordance with

guidelines laid down by the Board from time to time, and above that his surname or such

other name as may be approved in writing by the Board.

M.8. The Player’s shirt number shall also appear on the front of the left leg of his shorts.

M.9. The size, style, colour and design of shirt numbers, lettering and the logo of the League

appearing on a Player’s shirt or shorts and the material from which such numbers, lettering

and logo are made shall be determined by the Board from time to time.

M.10. The colour and design of the shirt and stockings worn by the goalkeeper when playing

in League Matches shall be such as to distinguish him from the other Players and from

Match Officials.

M.11. The captain of each team appearing in a League Match shall wear an armband provided by

the League indicating his status as such.

M.12. Any Club acting in breach of any of Rules M.1 to M.11 inclusive will be liable to pay to the

League a fixed penalty of £300 for a first breach, £600 for a second breach and £1,200 for a

third breach. Any subsequent breach may be dealt under the provisions of Section W of these

Rules (Disciplinary).

Form 12 has consecutive numbers up to 46 printed on it.

Just for the record, West Ham haven't had a number 6 since 2008/9 (Hayden Foxe and Matthew Upson were the last two) and Man City have been #23-less since Foe died at the Confederations Cup in 2003.

Mind you they've only had one #27 for one season since 2008-9 as well, and I'm fairly sure neither Benjani (last regular wearer) nor Jo (2010-11) left enough of an impact to cause that.

I don't think anyone suggested that Saints should do it "9", but the original questioner suggested it would be a problem to find " low numbers" for incoming signings.

My point was.....it doesn't matter what numbered shirt anyone plays in - as long as they are good enough to wear it ......

Despite my personal number "thing" when I played (guess which number...) I don't expect any players nowadays would turn down a transfer over it. Even I could be bought for a couple of hundred thou... :)

Just for the record, West Ham haven't had a number 6 since 2008/9 (Hayden Foxe and Matthew Upson were the last two) and Man City have been #23-less since Foe died at the Confederations Cup in 2003.

Mind you they've only had one #27 for one season since 2008-9 as well, and I'm fairly sure neither Benjani (last regular wearer) nor Jo (2010-11) left enough of an impact to cause that.

It's no wonder missus The 9 spends most nights asleep on the sofa.

Despite my personal number "thing" when I played (guess which number...)

I don't expect any players nowadays would turn down a transfer over it. Even I could be bought for a couple of hundred thou... :)

No, of course not "the 9" - you're quite right.

Only the most superstitious person would do that, but if there were a lot of "spare " shirt numbers available, it's quite likely a new signing might be asked ... ......" do you have a favourite number ? ". It might be an extra + point in the deal, but is hardly necessary to dwell on.

The actual subject of numbers has rather gone off track, as one contributor thought it a "problem" there were so few un-used numbers in the sequence 1-20.

At the very least - like choosing a new telephone number (which I've done a few times) you may be told ...here are the vacant numbers - choose one. END OF.

Saints Europa squad - A list players

The official UEFA site has published our list of A list players for the Europa League qualifying stage. Points to note:

20 players

Mayuka or Gardos excluded but all other other over 21 players included

B list not yet published but will presumably include many (all?) of the U21s, certainly Reed, Stephens, Turnbull, McQueen, McCarthy, Targett, Gallagher and JWP.

Edited by Over land and sea

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2016/clubs/club=52923/squad/index.html

UEFA site now contains a list of our players registered for the Europa League and includes squad numbers for all of the Development Squad apart from Will Britt and Marcus Barnes (perhaps indicating they are going out on loan? Alternatively, 37 and 43 are not used and perhaps Britt and Barnes are omitted in error - Britt was number 43 last season). The full list, with the new squad numbers bolded, is:

Goalkeepers

1 Kelvin Davis

22 Maarten Stekelenburg

25 Paulo Gazzaniga

41 Harry Isted *

44 Fraser Forster

Defenders

2 Cédric

3 Maya Yoshida

6 José Fonte

15 Cuco Martina

21 Ryan Bertrand

24 Jack Stephens*

29 Bevis Mugabi*

30 William Wood*

32 Jason Mccarthy*

33 Matt Targett*

35 Joshua Debayo*

36 Jordan Turnbull*

Midfielders

4 Jordy Clasie

8 Steven Davis

10 Sadio Mané

12 Victor Wanyama

16 James Ward-Prowse*

18 Harrison Reed*

20 Juanmi

23 Gaston Ramirez

27 Lloyd Isgrove

31 Armani Little*

34 Jake Flannigan*

42 Jake Hesketh*

46 Dominici (!!) Gape *

Forwards

7 Shane Long

9 Jay Rodriguez

11 Dušan Tadić

19 Graziano Pellè

38 Sam Mcqueen*

39 Josh Sims*

40 Samuel Gallagher*

45 Ryan Seager*

* B list players

Worth noting at this point that Premier League and Europa League squad numbers don't have to be the same for each player (though there are obvious admin benefits of players having the same for both competitions).

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/aug/080815-2015-2016-premier-league-squad-numbers-released.html

Full list of squad number of each Premier League team

Southampton

1 Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

2 Alves Soares (Cedric), Cedric Ricardo

3 Yoshida, Maya

4 Clasie, Jordy

5 Gardos, Florin

6 Fonte, Jose Miguel

7 Long, Shane Patrick

8 Davis (Davis S), Steven

9 Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

10 Mane, Sadio

11 Tadic, Dusan

12 Wanyama, Victor

15 Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

16 Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

18 Reed, Harrison James

19 Pelle, Graziano

20 Jimenez Lopez (Juanmi), Juan Miguel

21 Bertrand, Ryan

22 Stekelenburg, Maarten

23 Ramirez Pereyra (Gaston), Gaston Exequiel

24 Stephens, Jack

25 Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

26 Caulker, Steven Roy

27 Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

29 Mugabi, Bevis Kristofer Kizito

30 Wood, William Nicholas

31 Little, Armani

32 McCarthy, Jason Sean

33 Targett, Matthew Robert

34 Flannigan, Jake

35 Debayo, Joshua Akinkunmi

36 Turnbull, Jordan Robert

37 Willard, Harley Bryn

38 McQueen, Samuel James

39 Sims, Joshua Samuel

40 Gallagher, Samuel James

41 Isted, Harvey James Duke

42 Hesketh, Jake Alexander

43 Britt, William David

44 Forster, Fraser Gerard

45 Seager, Ryan Paul

46 Gape, Dominic Edward

I've bolded two additional numbers that hadn't previously been announced. Still nothing for Marcus Barnes strangely - the only development squad player without one. Willard is the only scholar with a number (he has signed a pro contract).

Josh Debayo was wearing 35 today in training.

Will Wood also trained with the 1st team but was in his U21 attire - no squad number.

I couldn't see Isgrove (dropped to U21s?). No sign of Gaston either - either whatever unspecified injury it is rolls on, or he's been frozen out.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated list - should be complete now at least until January

1 Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

2 Alves Soares (Cedric), Cedric Ricardo

3 Yoshida, Maya

4 Clasie, Jordy

5 Gardos, Florin

6 Fonte, Jose Miguel

7 Long, Shane Patrick

8 Davis (Davis S), Steven

9 Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

10 Mane, Sadio

11 Tadic, Dusan

12 Wanyama, Victor

14 Vidal (Romeu), Oriol Romeu

15 Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

16 Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward

17 Van Dijk (Virgil), Virgil

18 Reed, Harrison James

19 Pelle, Graziano

20 Jimenez Lopez (Juanmi), Juan Miguel

21 Bertrand, Ryan

22 Stekelenburg, Maarten

23 Ramirez Pereyra (Gaston), Gaston Exequiel

24 Stephens, Jack

25 Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

26 [Caulker, Steven Roy - signed for Liverpool January 2016]

27 Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

28 Austin, Charles - new signing January 2016

29 Mugabi, Bevis Kristofer Kizito

30 Wood, William Nicholas

31 Little, Armani

32 McCarthy, Jason Sean

33 Targett, Matthew Robert

34 Flannigan, Jake

35 Debayo, Joshua Akinkunmi

36 Turnbull, Jordan Robert

37 Willard, Harley Bryn

38 McQueen, Samuel James

39 Sims, Joshua Samuel

40 Gallagher, Samuel James

41 Isted, Harvey James Duke

42 Hesketh, Jake Alexander

43 Britt, William David

44 Forster, Fraser Gerard

45 Seager, Ryan Paul

46 Gape, Dominic Edward

47 Barnes, Marcus

49 Olomola, Olufela

Olomola - new squad number March 2016

What is it with people putting their first name or nicknames on the back of their shirts - it has absolutely no impact on me whatsoever yet for some reason I find it highly irritating :x

Aside from Virgil - which is completely unnecessary and mildly narks me too, most of our "culprits" have a multi-name Spanish or Portuguese naming convention, for which nicknames are often more effective ways of identifying people than one of their four or so names.

I remain unconvinced that Rodriguez's middle name is "Enriqus" not his father's name "Enrique", no matter how many times the Premier League reprints it wrongly in their player squad documents.

I do miss Jack Cork from our list though. Nothing to do with his ability. :D