Emigrating To New Zealand

Wrensup

I've been to New Zealand 3 times (and want to return next year); If I was well enough, I would emigrate there in an instant (with my IT degrees and experience, I could easily). It's one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It is expensive however. A friend out there went for his perm. visa but failed because they found a growth on his lung...he seriously wants to return.

And a German friend of mine worked out there for nearly 2 years as a segway tour guide across the water from Auckland in Devonport. Now that just sounds like a bloomin awesome job.

My accountant and his wife who was my administrator for 15 years moved out to Dunedin because his daughter and grandchildren were there. We went to visit them three years ago and also did a driving tour of most of South Island and a couple of days at Auckland. Christchurch is very familiar, you could almost be in England and we could live there easily. It's very quiet, we drove 120km one evening on highway 1 and only 40 vehicles came the other way. North Island is quite a bit different but warmer.

Many moons ago, pre-net in fact, I was offered a fantastic job in NZ. Big promotion, big housing allowance, flights (transferable) back to the UK every year for 5 years etc..

I wanted to go but my partner didn't want to as she was very close to her family, especially her mum & sister, and didn't want to be that far away from them. Of course, being a sap I didn't go and a year later we'd split up and a year after that she was living in Oz!

I've spent some time out there, it's a wonderful country and I like Kiwi's as a people but it's a chuffing long where from anywhere. If I hadn't been a tw*t and got sent down then it's quite possible that my wife and I would have emigrated out there as we'd just made the decision that we would move overseas. In later life I'd like to go out there for an England cricket series, as would the Mrs.

Many moons ago, pre-net in fact, I was offered a fantastic job in NZ. Big promotion, big housing allowance, flights (transferable) back to the UK every year for 5 years etc..

I wanted to go but my partner didn't want to as she was very close to her family, especially her mum & sister, and didn't want to be that far away from them. Of course, being a sap I didn't go and a year later we'd split up and a year after that she was living in Oz!

I've spent some time out there, it's a wonderful country and I like Kiwi's as a people but it's a chuffing long where from anywhere. If I hadn't been a tw*t and got sent down then it's quite possible that my wife and I would have emigrated out there as we'd just made the decision that we would move overseas. In later life I'd like to go out there for an England cricket series, as would the Mrs.

Does your, erm, indiscretion, stop you from emigrating anywhere, or is there a time limit to it? Bet it would be amazing for cycling...

I have a good mate who has married a Kiwi, they live in London. Have a one year old now and she wants to move to NZ before the lad is 5. My mate's view: could he get a job? Yes of course, but need to be in one of the cities, which is not what she wants. Prospects / seniority of said job? Zero. Basically has to kiss goodbye to his career plan. Proximity to other mates of his? Ridiculous. Even Aus is a bloody long trip. Realistic chances of visits back to relatives in the UK? Very occasional, not even once a year, because of cost, never mind the minimum one week and ideally two needed.

Glad I dont have to make the decision.

Scenery looks stunning but I've never really fancied New Zealand, too far away from anywhere, when you look at the globe it always seems like it's going to slide off the bottom. The only place it's near to is Australia and that's 90% desert.

One thing in it's favour though is should nuclear war break out it will probably be the only habitable place on the planet. No one would bother sending any nukes all the way down there.

Scenery looks stunning but I've never really fancied New Zealand, too far away from anywhere, when you look at the globe it always seems like it's going to slide off the bottom. The only place it's near to is Australia and that's 90% desert.

One thing in it's favour though is should nuclear war break out it will probably be the only habitable place on the planet. No one would bother sending any nukes all the way down there.

Watch "On the Beach". It's a pretty good movie.

If you're young enough get a working holiday visa and go for a year or two, try and get actual work in the area you have experience in and see how you like it. You won't go through the expense and hassle of getting a work permit and moving to the end of the earth only to discover you don't like it plus your time spent on a WHV can help towards a permanent visa.

I lived in New Zealand for about 2 years and liked the people and the country but decided to move back to Europe as it was too far from my family, it can be expensive to live there and I hated the lack of history and culture. I know people who have gone and come back after 18 months and others who are still there after 10 years and wouldn't return to Europe. It can be the best place on earth to live and work but I found it to be not for me in the end.

Moved from Andover to Wellington just over 8 years ago. PM if you have any specific questions about this part of the country, but as others have said, NZ is a bit more laid back than the UK, great place for the kids, but football is a poor cousin to rugby in terms of coverage, although it is getting more popular with the youngsters. As an example, last night's news spent 20+ mins waiting and then discussing the AB world cup squad, but made no mention of any of Saturday's prem league games even with Liverpool and Chelsea results...

And you have to get up at 2, 3 or 4am to watch Saints' live games ;)

and I hated the lack of history and culture.

Heaven help you if you return and any Maori have read this. :lol::lol::lol:

We have been here 24 years now and I could never ever live in the U.K. again.

I couldn't even be bothered to try and travel with my wife when she went back

for 6 weeks in July.

AFAIK us registered users can't make or receive P.M.s