Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

I see. So if you are planning to massacre people in Paris you go round telling all and sundry of your plans beforehand? Seriously?

So again you want to fly in face of what most, including the authorities, would appear to think as a good tactic dismissing it as no good cos they will be secretive.

There is an area between telling everyone you are going to shoot up Paris and having intelligence that someone is no longer attending a moderate mosque and appears to be radicalised or being influenced by extremists.

So again you want to fly in face of what most, including the authorities, would appear to think as a good tactic dismissing it as no good cos they will be secretive.

There is an area between telling everyone you are going to shoot up Paris and having intelligence that someone is no longer attending a moderate mosque and appears to be radicalised or being influenced by extremists.

Sorry I don't get your point. All I am saying is that if you were going to carry out a terrorist attack it probably isn't a good idea to broadcast the fact. I don't know for sure but I would imagine people often don't attend a mosque for reasons other than terrorist attacks.

they generally dont keep quiet

hence why our security services have generally kept us safe for over 10 years, despite hundreds of attempts.

some of the stories I have from my mate who works in the field you would clearly never ever believe (going from your posts on here)

Perhaps they don't. Makes you wonder how 9/11 ever happened.

Perhaps they don't. Makes you wonder how 9/11 ever happened.

because the US security services failed.

Even the Taliban gave them the heads up that something like that was imminent.

back then, the US had a mind set that they were untouchable over there

Sorry I don't get your point. All I am saying is that if you were going to carry out a terrorist attack it probably isn't a good idea to broadcast the fact. I don't know for sure but I would imagine people often don't attend a mosque for reasons other than terrorist attacks.

You do realise it is the front page of the TImes? Although actually not sure why myself as not much substance or reference to what is expected.

The mention of a mosque was just to illustrate an example of change in behaviour although you chose the pedantic but appreciate in your world you have no expectation of intelligence being aware or being able to thwart anything as would never be able to uncover 'secrets'

Yes Whelk I do realise it is The Times although I don't know what that has to do with anything. It seems to me to be a very weak story and I don't see the point of it, let alone the reason for putting it on the front page. There again it is the stable mate of The Sun so perhaps it is part of the NI agenda to demonise all Muslims ;)

As for uncovering secrets, if Batman is to be believed and terrorists go around talking openly of their next operations it doesn't look like discovering "secrets" would be that difficult! I'm sorry Whelk but I have no idea what you think "my world" is? You seem to think that come from another planet. I think most reasonable people reading that article could see that there is some level of intelligence being gleaned from those inside the world of Islam. To read their headline you would think that they are all holding out. It is also not unreasonable to point out that you have to have some information in the first place in order to disclose it or not and I suspect that very few Muslims in this country have any idea about future terror attacks. I could be wrong but I doubt very much if the guys in my local curry house, assuming they are Muslims, are privy to any plans by IS or any other terrorist faction about current or future planned attacks. As I said before, often when British Muslims are uncovered as terrorists or have gone to Syria to fight for IS their relatives and loved ones are quoted as saying they are shocked and had no idea that they had been radicalised. They could be lying of course but I don't agree with Batman that any sensible would be terrorist would go around broadcasting the fact and any that do, as you say, would be more likely to be identified and picked up by the intelligence services. Either through information given by the 300 or so tips from the Muslim community or through other means.

because the US security services failed.

Even the Taliban gave them the heads up that something like that was imminent.

back then, the US had a mind set that they were untouchable over there

There can be a huge gulf between knowing that something is imminent and knowing what that something is.

They can't recruit other extremists unless they communicate their views somehow.

Quite, but there is a difference between recruiting a terror network and blabbing to people in your local community that you are a terrorist and are about to go to Paris or where ever to kill people isn't there?

A different view

Not everyone is convinced by the effectiveness of Prevent. Yahya Birt, an academic researching Muslim political activism, and a member of the #EducationNotSurveillance network, says children are being “scooped up” and stigmatised as potential extremists, pointing to figures that suggest only 20% of those referred to Channel up to 2013 were assessed as needing its intervention. A document submitted by the Muslim Council of Britain to the UK’s Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, David Anderson QC, appears to show that the strategy is leading to discrimination against Muslims. Teachers told the MCB that pupils are being asked to do presentations on sensitive subjects – such as the Syrian conflict – to elicit their views, or those of their parents. They cite referrals for pupils using such terms as alhamdulillah – praise be to God – and quote a teacher who told them of a request to refer a Muslim boy to Channel after he asked how to build a bomb during a class on nuclear fission. When non-Muslim pupils asked the same question, no concerns were raised. Anderson said although he had not sought to verify the cases, the submission showed the resentment created by Prevent because of the number of people it focuses on, their age and its focus on non-violent views.

Amina (not her real name), who is from east London and works in education, was horrified to be told her 12-year-old son was suspected of being vulnerable to radicalisation. “They were having a food studies lesson and the teacher had asked them to bring in chicken to cook,” she says. “At the time, there had been something on the news about halal slaughterhouses closing down. My son said he wouldn’t be able to get halal chicken and when the teacher asked why, he said: ‘It’s because the government hates Muslims.’” Amina was surprised by his words. “I told the teacher that I never expressed those kind of views; I don’t think the government are particularly against Muslims. I am very careful about what my children look at online. But sometimes children add two and two together and make five.” She agreed to talk to her son, and the teacher told Amina the matter had already been discussed in class. A week later, social services rang. “They told me it was because the incident had been forwarded to the police.”

Amina’s son had been bullied at his primary school and some of the children responsible had transferred to the secondary school with him. He was so unhappy that Amina had already secured him a place at another school. Now his unhappiness was being taken as a sign he might be seduced by extremist views. “They said he was coming to class late because of going to the mosque, but he had just been waking up late because he didn’t want to go in.”

Then, when she went on holiday abroad, leaving her two sons in the charge of her husband, the school went further. “My son was off sick, and when my husband told them he wouldn’t be in, they called his older brother’s school to check he was in school. They must have thought I had taken them off somewhere.” She says the experience has shaken her faith in the education system. “This has caused me a lot of stress. I feel I am being watched … You worry that they could take your children into care.”

Similar examples of apparent overreaction are not hard to find. This week, it was revealed that the parents of a 14-year-old boy had started legal action after their son was questioned following a French lesson in May. The boy had been talking about “eco-terrorists”, something he says he had learned about at a debating society meeting. After the lesson, he was taken out of class and asked whether he was “affiliated” with Isis. His parents are seeking a judicial review, saying he was discriminated against because of his Muslim background. “He was presumed guilty because he was Muslim,” they said.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/23/prevent-counter-terrorism-strategy-schools-demonising-muslim-children

So why was the attack successful then? I assume because they didn't know the full details of the attack.

because for what ever reason, they did not think it was credible enough to shut down the airport system and other such things they would need to do

like i said, would love to tell you some stories my mate has who works in this area, you would be spending all week denying them. His work is 100% around a certain faith in British society. Guess which one?

I doubt any security service in the world is ever in command of 100% of the facts of a potential attack. Risk/reward balance comes into play

however, going back to the point made on the other page, communicating what they want to do and their aim is very much part of the terrorist MO

Edited by Batman

because for what ever reason, they did not think it was credible enough to shut down the airport system and other such things they would need to do

like i said, would love to tell you some stories my mate has who works in this area, you would be spending all week denying them. His work is 100% around a ceratin faith in british society. Guess which one?

Remember that soggy doesn't actually know any Muslims. Just keep that in mind whenever he says anything about Islam and those who practice it.

like i said, would love to tell you some stories my mate has who works in this area, you would be spending all week denying them. His work is 100% around a certain faith in British society. Guess which one?

I doubt any security service in the world is ever in command of 100% of the facts of a potential attack. Risk/reward balance comes into play

however, going back to the point made on the other page, communicating what they want to do and their aim is very much part of the terrorist MO

Thats a hoary old myth. There had been lots of white noise for years that Al Queda wanted to reach the US (as is obvious since they were thir biggest enemy). The US expected an attack in general terms but there was no specific intelligence, as the document just before 9/11 shows . The 'Taliban' warning actually came from the Northern Alliance months before when a leader warned he had heard something about Al Queda wanting to hijack planes in the US but had no specifics - who, where or when.

CIA_Memo.jpg

Why would I deny them if I have no idea if they are true or not? I assume his work is centred around terrorists rather than peaceful civilians otherwise he will be wasting his time. I don't think you understand my point about terrorists and secrecy. Yes of course they want us to be afraid of them and their activities but there are no activities if they broadcast what they are going to do before they do it because they will be stopped.

Why would I deny them if I have no idea if they are true or not? I assume his work is centred around terrorists rather than peaceful civilians otherwise he will be wasting his time. I don't think you understand my point about terrorists and secrecy. Yes of course they want us to be afraid of them and their activities but there are no activities if they broadcast what they are going to do before they do it because they will be stopped.

his work is around where ever it takes him.

his work is around where ever it takes him.

ffs Jamie. This reads like a petrol station spy novel.

Its well documented that US homeland security was relatively weak and complacent prior to 9/11. Had they been better prepared they might have caught a whiff. They didnt. We can all trade contacts. Mine is my uncle, formerly responsible for security at the major buildings in Saudia Arabia, OPEC HQ, close friends of the SAS Colonel at the time. They had nothing substantive.

Edited by buctootim

Its well documented that US homeland security was relatively weak and complacent prior to 9/11. Had they been better prepared they might have caught a whiff. They didnt. We can all trade contacts. Mine is my uncle, formerly responsible for security at the major buildings in Saudia Arabia, including OPEC HQ, close friends of the SAS Colonel at the time. They had nothing substantive.

I sat on a defence intelligence staff course and one of the guest speakers was fairly high up at MI6 at the time of 9/11. He was pretty frank and open about his experiences at the time when the topic of that era was discussed.

hence why I suggested the yanks knew and were warned many times prior to 9/11. Seemingly more than you could find on google

as for my friend. I he still works in the security area so not going to say much about him but he does tell me bits and pieces some times. nothing that is not already in the news in some form, just he expands on it. He has also worked with the SRR on many things too. He states though that his work (and it is not specific to anti-terrorism) is focused 100% around a certain 'faith' that can be found in british society

take it or leave it. (or google it)

I sat on a defence intelligence staff course and one of the guest speakers was fairly high up at MI6 at the time of 9/11. He was pretty frank and open about his experiences at the time when the topic of that era was discussed.

hence why I suggested the yanks knew and were warned many times prior to 9/11. Seemingly more than you could find on google

as for my friend. I he still works in the security area so not going to say much about him but he does tell me bits and pieces some times. nothing that is not already in the news in some form, just he expands on it. He has also worked with the SRR on many things too. He states though that his work (and it is not specific to anti-terrorism) is focused 100% around a certain 'faith' that can be found in british society

Jamie, you are a junior staffer at MOD having previously been a junior rating in the RN. Nothing wrong with that, except when you try to big yourself up.

Jamie, you are a junior at MOD having previously been a junior rating in the RN. Nothing wrong with that, except when you try to big yourself up.

what have I said suggests anything else?

I have sat on a a defence intelligence course (at the DISC), my friend does work in that area

not sure what your point is?

what have I said suggests anything else?

I have sat on a a defence intelligence course (at DISC), my friend does work in that area

not sure what your point is?

My point is that you aren't in a position to know. Its all from second and third hand sources who are working years after the events and are trying to sex up their routine work of running courses for junior MoD staff.

My uncle can give you chapter of verse on US security failings, why US (and British airports) airports security is still full of holes and why the Americans should have been better organised so they picked up information that, if properly analysed would have lead them to suspect something was going on. But they didn't. Nothing that was heard at the time was actionable.

Makes no odds to me whether you believe it or not. Im not involved in that field and he is retired

ITK

My point is that you aren't in a position to know. Its all from second and third hand sources who are working years after the events and are trying to sex up their routine work of running courses for junior MoD staff.

My uncle can give you chapter of verse on US security failings, why US (and British airports) airports security is still full of holes and why the Americans should have been better organised so they picked up information that, if properly analysed would have lead them to suspect something was going on. But they didn't. Nothing that was heard at the time was actionable.

Makes no odds to me whether you believe it or not. Im not involved in that field and he is retired

I am giving an opinion on what I have been told. I dont say it is a bear faced fact

you like to give MANY opinions on here about many things. Does not mean they are factual either.

Just adding to the debate, nothing more. Much like you. But for some reason, you have decided to have a swipe at me...play the ball not that man and all that

you have no idea what I do for a living. How junior or not or where I have worked. Not too sure what that has to do with anything

as for 'sexing' anything up. I could recycle god knows how many stories from mates and mates of mates to really make things interesting. But I dont

All I have done is suggest a 2 points on what I was told by someone. I was not told 1-to-1 but I was in the room on a course....how is that sexing anything up what so ever...have no idea

"Maddeningly short on actionable details" was George Tenet's exact phrase.

I am giving an opinion on what I have been told. I dont say it is a bear faced fact

you like to give MANY opinions on here about many things. Does not mean they are factual either.

Just adding to the debate, nothing more. Much like you. But for some reason, you have decided to have a swipe at me...play the ball not that man and all that

you have no idea what I do for a living. How junior or not or where I have worked. Not too sure what that has to do with anything

as for 'sexing' anything up. I could recycle god knows how many stories from mates and mates of mates to really make things interesting. But I dont

All I have done is suggest a 2 points on what I was told by someone. I was not told 1-to-1 but I was in the room on a course....how is that sexing anything up what so ever...have no idea

Im not having a swipe at you. I have respect for you and the job you do. I was having the swipe ant the 'I know but cant say how, top secret guv' type of post.

I also didn't say you were sexing it, just that the guy running the course probably was. Its that kind of inattention to detail which can cause you to draw wrong assumptions.

Its well documented that US homeland security was relatively weak and complacent prior to 9/11. Had they been better prepared they might have caught a whiff. They didnt. We can all trade contacts. Mine is my uncle, formerly responsible for security at the major buildings in Saudia Arabia, OPEC HQ, close friends of the SAS Colonel at the time. They had nothing substantive.

OPEC's HQ isn't in Saudi Arabia. It's in Vienna.

Remember that soggy doesn't actually know any Muslims. Just keep that in mind whenever he says anything about Islam and those who practice it.

I don't know David Cameron or any Tory MPs so just bear that in mind when I say anything about politics or the Tory party. I don't know any members of the Saints board, management or team so bear that in mind when I say anything about SFC. Seriously, what a ridiculous comment. By the way, as I said before, I may or may not know people who happen to be Muslim but because I don't vet my friends and acquaintances according to their religion I couldn't tell you for sure what religion everyone is. But you wont let that fact stop you making more inane comments in the future. I thought it might be safe to take you off of the ignore list by now. Clearly that was wrong.

I don't know David Cameron or any Tory MPs so just bear that in mind when I say anything about politics or the Tory party. I don't know any members of the Saints board, management or team so bear that in mind when I say anything about SFC. Seriously, what a ridiculous comment. By the way, as I said before, I may or may not know people who happen to be Muslim but because I don't vet my friends and acquaintances according to their religion I couldn't tell you for sure what religion everyone is. But you wont let that fact stop you making more inane comments in the future. I thought it might be safe to take you off of the ignore list by now. Clearly that was wrong.

It's relevant because you talk with such authority about Muslims in the UK when the reality is that you clearly know very little about them. It's obvious you're just some old white guy whose chosen a point of view and has decided to resolutely repeat the same things ad nauseum and close yourself off to anything else. Your views would definitely be treated more seriously if you actually spoke to some Muslims before setting yourself up as their spokesman on here.

I see that "Silent Bomber" Mohammed Rehman and his wife have been found guilty of plotting a terror attack in London. Following on from previous posts it probably wasnt the wisest thing to go on Twitter as "Silent Bomber" and ask advice on whether to go for Westfield or the Underground! Good to see his parents come out and thank the police for preventing the attack and arresting their son. Probably still wont be enough to satisfy Katie Hopkins though.

I see. So if you are planning to massacre people in Paris you go round telling all and sundry of your plans beforehand? Seriously?

I see that "Silent Bomber" Mohammed Rehman and his wife have been found guilty of plotting a terror attack in London. Following on from previous posts it probably wasnt the wisest thing to go on Twitter as "Silent Bomber" and ask advice on whether to go for Westfield or the Underground! Good to see his parents come out and thank the police for preventing the attack and arresting their son. Probably still wont be enough to satisfy Katie Hopkins though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35195311

Which is exactly my point. If you broadcast the fact you will get caught. It sounds like these two were not a part of the IS terror campaign but admired what IS were doing and jumped on the band wagon. Did the nutters who attached Paris go on Twitter and ask advice about their attack? Of course not. This bloke doesn't sound terribly bright and he certainly has a lot to learn about covert operations! Which is just as well as he could have done some real damage.

Which is exactly my point. If you broadcast the fact you will get caught. It sounds like these two were not a part of the IS terror campaign but admired what IS were doing and jumped on the band wagon. Did the nutters who attached Paris go on Twitter and ask advice about their attack? Of course not. This bloke doesn't sound terribly bright and he certainly has a lot to learn about covert operations! Which is just as well as he could have done some real damage.

but they do communicate it though.

but they do communicate it though.

Can you show me where the Paris terrorists publicised their detailed plans to attack Paris then? You have served in the Services have you not? Where in basic training does it say provide your enemy with your detailed plans of deployment and attack? Terrorist attacks are successful because they happen covertly. If you hand over the details of your attack to the police or the intelligence agencies what do you think the chances of success will be? If you are struggling for an answer just ask Mohammed Rehman.

Can you show me where the Paris terrorists publicised their detailed plans to attack Paris then? You have served in the Services have you not? Where in basic training does it say provide your enemy with your detailed plans of deployment and attack? Terrorist attacks are successful because they happen covertly. If you hand over the details of your attack to the police or the intelligence agencies what do you think the chances of success will be? If you are struggling for an answer just ask Mohammed Rehman.

ix senior Iraqi officials confirmed the information in the dispatch, a copy of which was obtained by the AP, and four of these intelligence officials said they also warned France specifically of a potential attack. Two officials told the AP that France was warned beforehand of details that French authorities have yet to make public.

“We have recovered information from our direct sources in the Islamic State terrorist organization about the orders issued by terrorist ‘Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’ directing all members of the organization to implement an international attack that includes all coalition countries, in addition to Iran and the Russian Federation, through bombings or assassinations or hostage taking in the coming days. We do not have information on the date and place for implementing these terrorist operations at this time,” the Iraqi dispatch read in part.

Among the other warnings cited by Iraqi officials: that the Paris attacks appear to have been planned in Raqqa, Syria — the Islamic State’s de-facto capital — where the attackers were trained specifically for this operation and with the intention of sending them to France.

The officials also said a sleeper cell in France then met with the attackers after their training and helped them to execute the plan via online communications.

There were 24 people involved in the operation, they said: 19 attackers and five others in charge of logistics and planning.

Iraqi intelligence agents warned of an imminent attack by the Islamic State group just one day before the assaults on Paris that killed 129 people. Agents last week sent a dispatch to a U.S.-led coalition of countries, the Associated Press reported, and officials said they specifically warned France of the heightened terrorist threats and that this attack will take place.

Back in August, the French authorities knew via social media that the Islamic state was in the process of planning an attack in Paris.

So says former anti-terrorist judge Marc Trevidic, who has worked with the anti-terrorist unit since 2010.

With a similar scenario now emerging, particularly in the wake of the “Charlie Hebo attack,” where French security agencies knew about extremists and the planned attack from online sources but failed to stop them before carrying out yet another high-profile attack, even with enhanced surveillance powers granted to them by recent legislation, it appears that no amount of intrusive surveillance or foreign wars will stem a terrorist problem the French government itself seems intent on doing nothing to stop.The problem is not France’s immigration laws. Dangerous people are in France, but they are being tracked by French security agencies. The problem is not Syria. Terrorists have left to fight there, acquired deadly skills and affiliations before returning to France, but have likewise been tracked by French security agencies. Instead, the problem is that French security agencies are doing nothing about these dangerous individuals knowingly living, working, and apparently plotting, openly in the midst of French society. In the coming hours and days, the French government and its various co-conspirators in their proxy war against Syria will propose a plan of action they claim will stem the terrorist threat France and the rest of Europe faces. But the reality is, the problem is not something the French government can solve, because the problem is clearly the French government itself.

that took about 2 mins on google using my phone

it may not be a 'tweet' telling the world but it seems these people were known to the authorities and they were being tracked fairly easily onine

I think we all understand that terrorists have plans to attack innocent people all over the place. I am talking about specific plans of these attacks. Places, dates, times. If these are know are you really telling me that the security forces are unable to stop them?

I think we all understand that terrorists have plans to attack innocent people all over the place. I am talking about specific plans of these attacks. Places, dates, times. If these are know are you really telling me that the security forces are unable to stop them?

Would you agree that they are more likely to be Islamic terrorists than Green, Sikh, Christian, Hindu, Ginger?

For goodness sake soggy are you really that stupid? HMG regularly put out official statements about the number of terror attacks thwarted due to intelligence surveillance.

Do you think they have just added 2,000 more staff at GCHQ to monitor your personal porn activity?