Luggys Book

9-3

I was a season ticket holder during my three years in Plymouth. They weren't dire.

Yes, there was some lowers league ****e to watch but they weren't a terrible side and could keep the ball on the ground as well as hit Mickey Evans with the big diagonal hoof.

At last, someone talking sense!

My in-laws are Argyle fans and Luggy is a legend down these parts. He dragged them from the bottom of what is now League 2 and joined Saints just as they had almost been promoted again from what is now League One. His second spell at Home Park wasn't as great by any means, but they weren't a million miles from the Championship playoffs a couple of seasons.

When he was appointed Saints boss, I don't remember people being that annoyed. In fact, I think there was a reasonable amount of goodwill from the fans. But it clearly wasn't meant to be.

Now of course he's at Yeovil, I do recall seeing an interview with him a while back on the BBC website. Wish him all the best in dealing with Parkinson's disease too.

Has anyone else erased these years from memory? I can barely remember any of it, certainly not the order that these helmets were in charge. One cluster**** to another.

A lot of people have either erased it from their memory or re-written history. Personally, I am still struggling to highlight the issue and the part people played in it. Probably always will.

Like most I grow weary of reading the rubbish about the 'Vocal Minority' and 'Hoddle' from Dalek, but the fact is it was a majority, myself included, that didn't want Hoddle back. He had used us as a stepping stone and **** on us the first chance he got. The justified abuse shown to him each time he came back with Spurs, especially the 4-0, showed our feelings towards him and considering Strachan took us as high as 4th shortly before he left and Hoddle had failed at Spurs he was hardly going to be a step up. His managerial record after he left hardly set the world alight, so instead of going on about who Lowe didn't bring in with Hoddle, Dalek should be bemoaning who Lowe DID bring in.

I remember prior to Luggy coming in it was a near certainty that the next manager was going to be French, the Echo even ran a story from Strachan saying the next manager will be French, It was rumoured to be one of either Jean Tigana, Alain Perrin, and there was a third that I can't remember. Next thing I know we've got some bloke from Plymouth that most people had never heard of. It was doomed before it begun.

For what it's worth I'm glad things turned out the way they did, despite the roller coaster of emotions we've been through the past ten years I wouldn't change it for the world, we'd have probably had 10 seasons of mediocre mid table football with no ambition, with Lowe still at the helm.

Like most I grow weary of reading the rubbish about the 'Vocal Minority' and 'Hoddle' from Dalek, but the fact is it was a majority, myself included, that didn't want Hoddle back. He had used us as a stepping stone and **** on us the first chance he got. The justified abuse shown to him each time he came back with Spurs, especially the 4-0, showed our feelings towards him and considering Strachan took us as high as 4th shortly before he left and Hoddle had failed at Spurs he was hardly going to be a step up. His managerial record after he left hardly set the world alight, so instead of going on about who Lowe didn't bring in with Hoddle, Dalek should be bemoaning who Lowe DID bring in.

I remember prior to Luggy coming in it was a near certainty that the next manager was going to be French, the Echo even ran a story from Strachan saying the next manager will be French, It was rumoured to be one of either Jean Tigana, Alain Perrin, and there was a third that I can't remember. Next thing I know we've got some bloke from Plymouth that most people had never heard of. It was doomed before it begun.

For what it's worth I'm glad things turned out the way they did, despite the roller coaster of emotions we've been through the past ten years I wouldn't change it for the world, we'd have probably had 10 seasons of mediocre mid table football with no ambition, with Lowe still at the helm.

I would have taken 10 years of mediocre premier football ! The glory of extending our 27 year unbroken run in the top league would have been worth it.

I would have taken 10 years of mediocre premier football ! The glory of extending our 27 year unbroken run in the top league would have been worth it.

Even if it meant 10 more years of Lowe and his boys milking all the profits? Bugger that, give me the Liebherr takeover, 3 years of some of the best away days ever, better atmospheres home and away, JPT final, cheap tickets, winning week in week out, and double promotions leading to record breaking Premier League finishes.

37 unbroken years in the top flight would be impressive I agree, but you don't get trophies for essentially making up the numbers.

Even if it meant 10 more years of Lowe and his boys milking all the profits? Bugger that, give me the Liebherr takeover, 3 years of some of the best away days ever, better atmospheres home and away, JPT final, cheap tickets, winning week in week out, and double promotions leading to record breaking Premier League finishes.

37 unbroken years in the top flight would be impressive I agree, but you don't get trophies for essentially making up the numbers.

This.

Dalek will have a collection of every single post fact non fact and rumour regarding this he is the font of all knowledge regarding the impending return of Glenda

As it happens, we were very close to appointing Hoddle and the outrageous protest by the vocal few tipped the balance away from Hoddle's return.

So, it was worth sacrificing our unbroken tenure in the top league for the JPT then ?

So, it was worth sacrificing our unbroken tenure in the top league for the JPT then ?

We got the opportunity to see our team lift a trophy at Wembley. Regardless of the competition that's something a lot of football fans will never see in their lifetime.

What exactly do you win for 37 years in the top flight?

We got the opportunity to see our team lift a trophy at Wembley. Regardless of the competition that's something a lot of football fans will never see in their lifetime.

The glory, apparently.

:mcinnes:

OK, we need to drop down another couple of divisions then. Happy ?

OK, we need to drop down another couple of divisions then. Happy ?

So funny.

Thank heavens our decline happened so quickly rather then turning into someone like Coventry, gradually shrinking over the course of 15 years as would have happened under Rupert Lowe's strategy.

Your nearsightedness reminds me of the sentiment of a blog I wrote a few years ago.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/entry.php?58-You-can-t-always-get-what-you-want

We have experienced so much, wouldn't change a thing. Thank heavens history has eventually been kind to us.

Milking the profits? And what profits would they be? And our last FA Cup Final came under those boys.

Oh dear. Another denting for the Messiah illusion that SOGGY has built up over the years...

Oh dear, another tedious post from the most miserable bloke on the planet. It is no illusion. They used to go out for meals with their wives and you will be hard pushed to find quotes from WGS slagging him off. Still, as it doesn't fit in with you agenda you will believe what you want. Have a nice day.

Precisely, we were being run as a conventional business and that is why we would only have continued to decline.

The SKY money was no where near the level it is at the moment and trying to get any other outside investment not only provided to be futile for Lowe, it did so for Wilde and those who followed. It was only when Marcus bought the club that our fortunes improved. Can you imagine how difficult it must have been trying to keep the club afloat on home crowds of 15,000? I bet even The Don would have struggled in those days. The Club Historian famously wrote once that he had spoken to Lowe and Lowe said that he didn't know where the next £1 was coming from. Fortunately we have an owner with some dosh and a great deal of money from SKY. It is a completely different situation now, thankfully.

Milking the profits? And what profits would they be? And our last FA Cup Final came under those boys.

Are you really so naive? It was reported we had made an estimated £48 million by the end of the 02-03 season, with prize money, tv rights and merchandising, particularly with our bumper cup run. On top of that we sold Wayne Bridge for £8million, got the same amount the season prior for Dean Richards, yet hardly any of this got pumped back into the team. We were well known for being one of the lowest wage payers in the league, and our record signing remained Rory ****ing Delap. We all know the final straw for WGS was when Lowe refused to give him the funds for Saha and Malbranque from Fulham as he didn't believe in paying money to our "rivals", when the more likely truth was he just didn't want to spend the money full stop.

Lowe and his cronies clearly enjoyed their share of the extra riches, and wanted to run this club like any other business, putting in as little as possible to keep us bobbing along without spending the cash to really take us to the next level. Compare that to now where all of the money we make is being pumped back into the team and facilities and we're no longer just making up the numbers.

Tou state that our last cup final came under them but what does that really prove. We had a VERY favourable run to the final, and never really faced decent competition until the end. If we'd have won the thing then you might have a valid argument.

The failure to re-appoint Hoddle in 2004 remains a very divisive period in the clubs History. In the end we were very lucky to survive the damage caused by this disastrous decision. The vocal minority, who in the midst of the crisis went to ground, must be feeling the biggest sense of relief that we pulled through. Meanwhile, they have every incentive to try and re-write history.

Are you really so naive? It was reported we had made an estimated £48 million by the end of the 02-03 season, with prize money, tv rights and merchandising, particularly with our bumper cup run. On top of that we sold Wayne Bridge for £8million, got the same amount the season prior for Dean Richards, yet hardly any of this got pumped back into the team. We were well known for being one of the lowest wage payers in the league, and our record signing remained Rory ****ing Delap. We all know the final straw for WGS was when Lowe refused to give him the funds for Saha and Malbranque from Fulham as he didn't believe in paying money to our "rivals", when the more likely truth was he just didn't want to spend the money full stop.

Lowe and his cronies clearly enjoyed their share of the extra riches, and wanted to run this club like any other business, putting in as little as possible to keep us bobbing along without spending the cash to really take us to the next level. Compare that to now where all of the money we make is being pumped back into the team and facilities and we're no longer just making up the numbers.

Tou state that our last cup final came under them but what does that really prove. We had a VERY favourable run to the final, and never really faced decent competition until the end. If we'd have won the thing then you might have a valid argument.

Who estimated we made £48m in profits? When exactly was this?

When someone uses the word cronies you have a pretty good idea where they are coming from. What were our running costs in 02-03? We are still one of the lowest wage playing clubs in the Premiership. Strachan did not say at the time nor has he said since that the reason he left was down to not signing those two players. We had never spent that kind of money so why you make an issue of it I don't know. I also find it interesting that whenever anything good happened under that regime there was always a reason why but nothing to do with them yet under Cortese everything good was attributed to his genius. We may well have won the cup if WGS had played a more attacking team. Kevin Davies was sat in the stand as I remember. WGS bottled it after Arsenal put 6 past us shortly before. You can only beat what is in front of you. We had Crystal Palace and Doncaster in 1976 - does that make the feat any less glorious?

I am not saying that Lowe and his Board were the best ever, but I also don't believe they were the worst people ever to run a football club. To say we were awash with money and that they didn't want to spend it on the club and pocketed is bizarre. Even the club historian, who had no time for Lowe has often said that he felt he did his best for the club. If you have any evidence of embezzlement I'd love to see it.

I am not saying that Lowe and his Board were the best ever, but I also don't believe they were the worst people ever to run a football club. To say we were awash with money and that they didn't want to spend it on the club and pocketed is bizarre. Even the club historian, who had no time for Lowe has often said that he felt he did his best for the club. If you have any evidence of embezzlement I'd love to see it.

Some people have an agenda and don't let facts get in the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Who estimated we made £48m in profits? When exactly was this?

Well here's something from 2002 saying we made £3m before tax, so I am deducing that even considering a Cup run the figure of £48m we "made" is utter codswallop.

http://www.southampton-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/saints_proud_of_profits_60602/index.shtml

It mentions the squad being insured for £30m, so maybe that horrific Saintsfootballericide incident of 2002/3 had something to do with it. :D