• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Those German car manufacturers are banging on the door at last.

BMW will shut UK sites if customs delays clog supply post-Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/25/bmw-will-shut-uk-sites-if-customs-delays-clog-supply-post-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tapatalk_Pro

Good to know... Seeing as we don't have any customs delays with the rest of the world, there won't be any issues.

Good to know... Seeing as we don't have any customs delays with the rest of the world, there won't be any issues.

Having made a tit of yourself over Airbus -still waiting for the link pal- can you point to evidence showing that customs processing is as quick for goods arriving from outside the customs union as ones inside it? Never mind the single market. You do understand how just-in-time production works?

Edited by shurlock

This kind of belligerent ignorance leads me to think that there's sadly only one way the Jihadists will be forced to give up their delusions - and that's for thousands of workers in supply chain industries, including car, aviation, aerospace, to lose their jobs, along with others already suffering from real cuts in wages to suffer worse. Even then, the hive mind will blame the remoaners for failing to deliver 'their' Brexit.

This kind of belligerent ignorance leads me to think that there's sadly only one way the Jihadists will be forced to give up their delusions - and that's for thousands of workers in supply chain industries, including car, aviation, aerospace, to lose their jobs, along with others already suffering from real cuts in wages to suffer worse. Even then, the hive mind will blame the remoaners for failing to deliver 'their' Brexit.

George Osborne, punishment budget, project fear, zombie apocalypse blah blah blah.

and the EU for 'punishing' Britain by not giving it everything on the magic wishlist.

I'll help you out of your customary ill informed hole

"It is difficult to see how it would make economic sense for multinational volume manufacturers—the bulk of the UK automotive sector—to base production in the UK in a no deal or WTO tariff scenario. The shift of manufacturing

to countries within the customs union and single market would be inevitable; the cost in UK jobs could be in the hundreds of thousands, and inward investment in the hundreds of millions. For the automotive sector, no deal would undoubtedly be hugely

damaging. The Government should not seriously contemplate this outcome."

Who are these whinging Remainers? Um the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee of the House of Commons

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmbeis/379/379.pdf

Well at least you've noticed people like Sandbach are "wingeing remainers" And have infiltrated sub committees.

The Beis is as it sounds... Competely Bias.

Edited by Nolan

So we now have jihadists claiming that being outside the customs union and single market still means frictionless trade.

Fruit and veg? You're in the wrong business pal: you should be in the thick of negotiations, ensuring Irish peace and preventing the return of a hard border. Needless to say once the snows clears and you can get out of your driveway.

So we now have jihadists claiming that being outside the customs union and single market still means frictionless trade.

Fruit and veg? You're in the wrong business pal: you should be in the thick of negotiations, ensuring Irish peace and preventing the return of a hard border. Needless to say once the snows clears and you can get out of your driveway.

Of course it's not frictionless, it's never going to be frictionless. But the benefits we get from it will outweigh the negatives.

I think the best way of avoiding an Irish border is not to build one. See how easy that is.

And if it snows I walk to work. It's something called adaptability.

Farage is an odious idiot, who did more harm to the Brexit cause that good.

But there is nothing to say that this is true either way.

Of course there are people who previously have made a lot of money at shorting the pound who are heavily involved in funding the "people"s vote campaign...

Farage pales into insignificance compared to Remains new puppet master, George Soros, in shorting sterling.

There's a big difference JJ: Soros has never suggested that Brexit is anything but a disaster for the UK whereas Farage has made a living misleading morons like you and Nolan that it's a great thing. Real courage of convictions stuff then to take the other side.

You might want to keep an eye on the antisemtism too pal. Drinking hours begun and we all know what you get like.

#alwaysbackthesmartmoney

You do understand how just-in-time production works?

I think we know the answer to that. Did you see the quote from Honda in the FT? Currently they hold only 36 hours worth of parts for production - relying on hundreds of trucks crossing the channel every day. To build in a bigger safety buffer of nine days supply in order to cope with 'draggier' movement of goods would require the largest building in the world. Honda arent even the biggest UK car manufacturer - Nissan and JLR would have far bigger problems.

I think we know the answer to that. Did you see the quote from Honda in the FT? Currently they hold only 36 hours worth of parts for production - relying on hundreds of trucks crossing the channel every day. To build in a bigger safety buffer of nine days supply in order to cope with 'draggier' movement of goods would require the largest building in the world. Honda arent even the biggest UK car manufacturer - Nissan and JLR would have far bigger problems.

It’s a very good article - I guess the jihadist sheep are finding refuge in the completely unsourced, contextless JRM quote about Southampton. What do the customs operations directors at Honda and BMW know compared to a freakshow novelty act who’s got form for peddling barefaced lies that even the Sun had the integrity to acknowledge were innumerate horse****. See the Brexit Bargains debacle.

See UK car investment has fallen - must be the snow again.

Edited by shurlock

Verbal I would be genuinely interested to know if you actually have any interaction with people that voted leave.

Like most people during the referendum the subject came up over the bar or at the dinner table. You gained a pretty even balance of the arguments being put forward. My family was split down the middle, my friends probably favoured remain. I ended up falling the leave side of the line but I was pretty well briefed on the arguments.

My suspicion is that your opinions have not been shaped in the same way and because you have not been exposed to the same level of debate you conclude that all leave voters are thick racists. They are of course not.

Verbal I would be genuinely interested to know if you actually have any interaction with people that voted leave.

Like most people during the referendum the subject came up over the bar or at the dinner table. You gained a pretty even balance of the arguments being put forward. My family was split down the middle, my friends probably favoured remain. I ended up falling the leave side of the line but I was pretty well briefed on the arguments.

My suspicion is that your opinions have not been shaped in the same way and because you have not been exposed to the same level of debate you conclude that all leave voters are thick racists. They are of course not.

Can't speak for everyone but you've got to give me Jihadi John. Surely pal...

Digging out old Jew-hating tropes isn't a good look.

Total nutcase. Like I said, get professional help, mate:

puppetmaster

NOUN

A person, group, or country that covertly controls another.

‘the puppetmaster behind the current administration’

More example sentences

‘It certainly does not hand the country over wholesale to Bush's puppet masters.’

‘Flamboyant and witty, he relishes his role as a behind-the-scenes puppet master.’

‘Robertson, soulless puppetmaster that he is, says that the plans are just games.’

‘Doing the adaptation, of course, it was clear that Waugh was a pretty cruel puppet master with his characters.’

‘Genes are not puppet masters, nor blueprints.’

‘But the real puppetmaster in the Railtrack scandal is the Chancellor himself, both through Vadera and his direct instructions and consultations.’

‘Presumably, imminently, the next step will be the eradication of the old Abbey name to be replaced by that of their Spanish buyout puppetmasters.’

‘Yet everyone knows the G8 is just a photo-call by the puppets, not a meeting of the puppet-masters.’

‘Note that we don't intend to elect the puppet-masters themselves, they're not popular.’

‘We expose the puppetmasters, and their policies, behind this paradoxical mass addiction to something nearly everyone hates.’

‘You'll need something better than insisting that I or my hypothetical puppetmasters have something to gain from the status quo to argue your point.’

‘The puppet masters appear to hope that the Government of India will wilt under terrorist pressure.’

‘During those turbulent years, some politicians and their henchmen were the puppet masters.’

‘The film climaxes with the arrival of the alien puppet-master that's behind the whole plot.’

‘At the behest of their US puppet-masters, the newly elected Iraqi government had Al Jazeera temporarily thrown out of the country.’

‘You're a machine to be commanded by your puppet masters in the military-industrial complex.’

‘Those are the puppet masters, my friend.’

‘The ultimate puppet master is finally revealed in the refugee affair, their script being followed to the letter by all players.’

‘Putin still controls the strings and Medvedev can only become the puppetmaster if he cuts them.’

Of course not all fall into the stereotypes. There are ill informed idiots on both sides. The reality is though that, on average, Brexit voters are less educated and less knowledgeable about the issues.

Funny it's how the "less educated" who want an elected parliament, and the right to hold to account and potentially vote out an elected parliament.

And it's the "educated" who want the dictat from unelected commissioners.

Of course not all fall into the stereotypes. There are ill informed idiots on both sides. The reality is though that, on average, Brexit voters are less educated and less knowledgeable about the issues.

You are confusing education with ignorance. I would suggest that a lack of exposure to the debate is reflected in an inability to emphasise with why people voted out and to understand the reasons behind the leave vote. You can have as many letters after your name as you like and still be ignorant.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

Digging out old Jew-hating tropes isn't a good look.

This is a thread that I don't want to lose myself in, however that's absolutely not a "Jew-hating trope", it's a comment on his involvement in geopolitics and markets.

Soros is a master at this game, and he may well be a very nice person to know privately, however he's got his hands well and truly in this pie only for his own benefit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros#1992_pound_short

Funny it's how the "less educated" who want an elected parliament, and the right to hold to account and potentially vote out an elected parliament.

And it's the "educated" who want the dictat from unelected commissioners.

Its funny how Brexit posters can't see what a ridiculous position that is to take when all EU positions are directly elected or nominated by the national governments. Unlike the UK where you don't get to vote in the Queen, the Prime Minister or the House of Lords.

You are confusing education with ignorance. I would suggest that a lack of exposure to the debate is reflected in an inability to emphasise with why people voted out and to understand the reasons behind the leave vote. You can have as many letters after your name as you like and still be ignorant.

No. You are confusing correlation. There is a correlation between education and knowledge and a correlation between low levels of education and ignorance. The fact that you can find some ignorant academics and some pin sharp people who never attended school doesnt change that.

Less educated is quantifiable, less knowledgable about the issue isn’t. The reality is you’re showing extreme arrogance to assume that just because people didn’t agree with you, they had less knowledge of the subject. I’d imagine many many leave voters of my age will be in the same boat as me. Supportive of the EEC, until Maastricht when the nature of the beast changed. My educational level never changed, neither did my knowledge of the issue. What changed was the EEC, I didn’t suddenly become less educated, or less knowledgable of the issue.

The other point you seem to be missing is the correlation between education and the vote. You seem to imply that people voted leave because they’re not as clever or educated. Have you ever thought that maybe the better educated had done better out of our relationship with The EU , than the lower educated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its funny how Brexit posters can't see what a ridiculous position that is to take when all EU positions are directly elected or nominated by the national governments. Unlike the UK where you don't get to vote in the Queen, the Prime Minister or the House of Lords.
The House of Lords should be scrapped

The Prime Minister is the leader of the political party with the most seats. To be able to choose the leader, try joining a Political party.

No. You are confusing correlation. There is a correlation between education and knowledge and a correlation between low levels of education and ignorance. The fact that you can find some ignorant academics and some pin sharp people who never attended school doesnt change that.

It is a lazy argument to just say that people who voted out must have been stupid because a poll suggested that more people who voted in had been to University. More older people voted out and because the older that you are the less likely you are to have a degree does not mean that they are any less equipped to understand the arguments. You could argue that the older you are then the more likely you are to read the news and the more life experience you have.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

I am not sure suggesting that the EU is a better democratic model to pursue the interests of the British people is going to end well. The House of commons is elected and every five years at the most we get to vote the prime minister out. The House of Lords is a check and has been doing their job recently. The Queen is just a figurehead who if she wielded even a little of her power would be on her way. She brings a few million tourists in and raises our profile abroad.

To be able to choose the leader, try joining a Political party.

So your argument is that its more democratic the PM is chosen by the 70,000 Tory Party members (or 12 DUP MPs) than the elected European leaders choosing the President of the European Council.

The Prime Minister is the leader of the political party with the most seats..

The Prime Minister is the person who nominally controls enough votes to maintain a Commons majority of 1, and is appointed PM by the Queen on that basis. This does not necessarily mean the leader of the party with the most seats, and does not preclude a PM running a minority Government.

And as for your other point about 'voting out an elected Parliament', research Fixed Term Parliaments, it's virtually impossible to get rid before the 5 year term, ( unless the PM has a suicide wish like Tessy May last time around ).

Not ridiculous at all, whatever you views on the British electoral system (I would actually prefer a PR system like the EU) fact is that is the system we have and adding another level above just reduces accountability of the people we elect.

Also the main point is that whilst the EU is democratic it’s voted for by the whole of Europe, most of whom don’t have any interest in what’s good for Britain.

Also the main point is that whilst the EU is democratic it’s voted for by the whole of Europe, most of whom don’t have any interest in what’s good for Britain.

Do you think the DUP, holding the balance of power, know what's best for Britain, ( or England, seeing as Wales and Scotland have a degree of self governance ) ?

and local constituency MPs do? You think the member for Newcastle north gives a stuff about Dorset? Or the SNP about Clacton?

and local constituency MPs do? You think the member for Newcastle north gives a stuff about Dorset? Or the SNP about Clacton?
Of course they do. Not to the extent of their own constituency but they all care about the perception of each of their parties across the country. Especially in our current time where the three main parties have utterly atrocious leaders.

But the European Parliament is an unelected, undemocratic, tyranny that overrides any local attempts at democratic accountability, isn't it ?
Let's take the sanitary towel vat rate as an example.

Two years ago before the referendum, the budget was about to get voted down due to the 5% tax rate but being abolished.

We apparently got concessions for variation of VAT rates from europe.

A consultation on vat rates finally got published by the EU a couple of months ago proposing that member countries would be allowed flexibility of one product to be reduced from a low vat rate to zero, and two products to be lowered from the standard bar rate to the lower rate without other member states approval.

This fudge May get voted in by all the other members in possibly another two years.

A normal country can decide their own effing vat rates and make a change overnight.

I thought it was only that Nation of Islam-worshipping upstart from Kenya, nursing colonial sour grapes that said Brexit was going to be bad.

F**k the economy.

And f**k the Americans. How dare they say exactly the same as those traitors BMW, Nissan and Airbus.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction