Calling Fonte to the main banner

Wiggles31

Ok we'll agree to disagree- all I'm saying is that an era should not be defined by one player that played 60 odd games for us who happened to be one of if not the best player in Europe at the time (not that he was given that accolade while playing for the mighty saints). Should Alan ball be on the banner? After all he was a World Cup winner and a reasonably good manager for us.

Fair argument, but his Portsmouth tendencies also impact on his status.

FWIW I wouldn't have Kelvin Davis or Benali up there, longevity is no replacement for success.

Poor form if this doesn't happen. Fonte exemplifies and represents an 'era' perfectly; us consolidating our status a solid Premier League team that competes in Europe and whose players win major international tournaments, whilst nevertheless maintaining the identity of the club that won us two successive promotions.

Fonte is a club legend without doubt.

Fair argument, but his Portsmouth tendencies also impact on his status.

FWIW I wouldn't have Kelvin Davis or Benali up there, longevity is no replacement for success.

Of course you are right - copy book blotted! Re longevity vs success - depends on your definition of success really - did MLT have success? If you think success is keeping us up all those years then he had both. Not suggesting that he shouldn't be on the banner by the way cos to me he is a true legend.

Poor form if this doesn't happen. Fonte exemplifies and represents an 'era' perfectly; us consolidating our status a solid Premier League team that competes in Europe and whose players win major international tournaments, whilst nevertheless maintaining the identity of the club that won us two successive promotions.

Fonte is a club legend without doubt.

What's more, as previously mentioned, he took a step down to join us, still seeing it as a step forward in his career. He believed in us as much as we believed in him.

• 3 weeks later...
Is this ever going to happen? or a flight of fancy...

Probably need to set up a Review Committee to debate all the issues involved before taking such a hugely important step into the unknown. 2 to 3 years work should be about right so just be patient.

First meeting will set the agenda for future meetings and appointment of officials and could be called directly after the summer recess. ITK's suggest they'll be down to business in October at the latest.......

Sweet all you old sods attach so much to a banner. Can't see it but hey mobile technology

I'm struggling to think of something I less give a fck about. Each to their own though.

All you tarts still campaigning?

I'm excited for the fourth post. Hopefully we'll learn how much he really, really doesn't care.

Not as much effort as posting four times on a thread you really, really, really don't care about. #altruismlives

You cannot see the difference? I don't even see this banner that you are all emotionally attached to. And even sweeter that it means something to you all about what picture you see as you fire up your old PCs. Me posting is really repressing my true feelings about this banner? Or just mocking the sad saps who think a forum picture is significant.

And it wasn't much effort - I post a lot.

I can see a difference. Most people posted once about players they'd like to see on the banner in a thread about players on a banner.

You've posted five times on a thread about a banner you cant even see to tell others they shouldnt think like they do. Luckily you really really really don't care about this. Don't worry that moral high ground and superiority are yours

Six times - thanks for the updates.

You idiots highlight and put on a pedestal some player cos he won a tournament nothing to do with Saints. He now makes comments not befitting if a club captain but hey he is special. Put him on.............the banner!

Not telling you what you should think. Fck me that would be a truly hopeless task.

You idiots highlight and put on a pedestal some player cos he won a tournament nothing to do with Saints. He now makes comments not befitting if a club captain but hey he is special. Put him on.............the banner!

Not telling you what you should think. Fck me that would be a truly hopeless task.

Seriously why do you care? Some people do, you don't... allegedly. It was supposed to be a nice gesture considered at a time when people were excited that one of our players actually achieved something internationally. Time moves quickly, for example I thought Lallana was mustard not so long ago, yup i'm an idiot and he never was, nevermind. Maybe Fonte will leave and now get a lot of money somewhere else and of course many of us will predictably be annoyed, but that is the drama of modern football and why many people get more emotionally involved in it, than something like cricket.

However him leaving doesn't really mean **** all or suddenly give any of our lives any extra meaning depending on our prediction of him staying or going. Can't understand the reason you resurrected the thread other than to do a pretty sad I told you so (when he isn't even confirmed to be going anywhere yet).

Can't understand why it's such an issue for you but just so you know Whelk you aren't committed to giving the guy a blow job if he ends up on the banner.

Seriously why do you care? Some people do, you don't... allegedly. It was supposed to be a nice gesture considered at a time when people were excited that one of our players actually achieved something internationally. Time moves quickly, for example I thought Lallana was mustard not so long ago, yup i'm an idiot and he never was, nevermind. Maybe Fonte will leave and now get a lot of money somewhere else and of course many of us will predictably be annoyed, but that is the drama of modern football and why many people get more emotionally involved in it, than something like cricket.

However him leaving doesn't really mean **** all or suddenly give any of our lives any extra meaning depending on our prediction of him staying or going. Can't understand the reason you resurrected the thread other than to do a pretty sad I told you so (when he isn't even confirmed to be going anywhere yet).

Can't understand why it's such an issue for you but just so you know Whelk you aren't committed to giving the guy a blow job if he ends up on the banner.

Yeah you are right about resurrecting the thread - not so much a personal told you so more a why do people think these players are so special when they are not. I don't get the Lallana hate but neither the Lambert love TBH.

it is not an issue. I genuinely find it funny though grown men appear to attach importance to it and then the players they want to see.

I know it is harmless and if I was a kinder soul I would leave you all to it.

In retrospect not quite sure why Lambert is up there now. Ok, he scored a lot of goals in our five season journey from League 1 to the EPL, but in years to come he will be regarded just another journeyman. Bobby Stokes or Ron Davies might be more appropriate.

In retrospect not quite sure why Lambert is up there now. Ok, he scored a lot of goals in our five season journey from League 1 to the EPL, but in years to come he will be regarded just another journeyman. Bobby Stokes or Ron Davies might be more appropriate.

Have a word with yourself, he's the biggest reason we made it to the PL so quickly. Even Lallana admitted that!

In retrospect I'm not really sure why MLT is up there. He never really ran around that much, was a flop for England and in years to come will be regarded as just another Sky Sports Pundit. And he lost a penalty competition to Rickie.

• 4 months later...

Very well put indeed....