Calling Fonte to the main banner

Wiggles31

I'd have Fonte instead of Lambert and Pahars instead of Keegan personally.

Whilst we're at it, who is that between Miller and Paine?

Pahars? really? Keegan scored nearly as many goals in two years as Pahars did in seven and took us to what was then our highest ever finish, sixth. Oh and he was two times European Player of the Year. It was like signing Messi or Ronaldo.

Edited by buctootim

You are joking, I hope?

About what?

Fonte has been here longer and achieved far more at international level whilst here.

Keegan was obviously a massive signing but didn't hang around that long and is far better know worldwide as a Liverpool player. Pahars was 'our' player, with the great escape, scoring our first ever winner at St Mary's, that goal against the Skates etc.

I'm afraid to say I don't have a very good memory of players 10-20 years before I was born.

Pahars? really? Keegan scored nearly as many goals in two years as Pahars did in seven. Oh and he was two times European Player of the Year. It was like signing Messi or Ronaldo.

As I said, I think he is a player who encapsulates the spirit of Saints a bit more and is someone you would associate exclusively with us. Perhaps a better option from Keegan's era would be Steve Moran.

I know he was a massive signing but I'm not really sure I'd class him alongside the others on the banner. To me he was a Liverpool legend who jumped ship after 2 years.

Lop off Keegan, he was not here long, his homes are Liverpool and Newcastle, his heart was never with us. I would prefer Nick Holmes or Jason Dodd who gave their commitment to us. Definitely prefer Fonte

Agreed on all of above.

Benali too

I agree Fonte should be up there.

He is an absolute diamond at our club; a top quality defender and a fantastic example to all of us that you can achieve big things if you are prepared to work hard and keep improving.

I am not sure if I can say he's the "best" captain we've had in my 25 years of supporting Saints, but he's got to be right up there.

A quick mock up - have better things to be doing but am easily distracted :)

I remember doing this for Ron years ago and posting it here and it got ignored. I realise the site owners have this covered but Ron should be on there if Keegan is. Is Ron in the correct place?

I wonder what Kelvin would make of Fonte getting on the banner?

SaintsWebBanner_zpsngzvh9do.jpg

Each player on the banner represents a different era, with the exception of - Terry Paine (record appearances) & Mick Channon (record goal scorer), as couldn't choose one over the other.

Kevin Keegan is the only 2 time winner of the Ballon D'Or to play for Saints as far as I know, and Peter Shilton is England's most capped ever player. They're also from an era otherwise not represented on the banner.

I'm amazed that a ballon D'Or payer player has ever played for Saints, likewise that England's most capped player represented Saints and I think both are worth celebrating.

Designing by committee must be pretty much any designer's worst nightmare.

A quick mock up - have better things to be doing but am easily distracted :)

I remember doing this for Ron years ago and posting it here and it got ignored. I realise the site owners have this covered but Ron should be on there if Keegan is. Is Ron in the correct place?

I wonder what Kelvin would make of Fonte getting on the banner?

is this going to happen??

1st team appearances for Saints (according to Wiki):

Paine 713

Channon 510

Le Tissier 443 (Branfoot cost him quite a few more)

Fonte 243 (will probably go on to more than 300)

Davies 240

Lambert 207

Bates 202 (none in top flight)

Shilton 188

Keegan 68

Ted Bates was a fairly average footballer and he was not, as many people think, from this area. He initially signed for his local team, Norwich, but never broke into their first team. His statue is more to mark his achievements as a manager and director and the fact that his career here, in 3 different roles, spanned so many years.

Kelvin Davis, like Benali, stayed with us for a long time but he was never, by any stretch of the imagination, a great player. In fact, he even made it into the all-time worst Sunderland XI. Irish interntaional, Tommy Traynor, with 434 first team appearances over 14 years for Saints would be far more deserving if we were doing it on the basis of longevity of service.

There are no appearance stats for CB Fry on Wiki but I doubt it would have been more than 100.

1st team appearances for Saints (according to Wiki):

Paine 713

Channon 510

Le Tissier 443 (Branfoot cost him quite a few more)

Fonte 243 (will probably go on to more than 300)

Davies 240

Lambert 207

Bates 202 (none in top flight)

Shilton 188

Keegan 68

Ted Bates was a fairly average footballer and he was not, as many people think, from this area. He initially signed for his local team, Norwich, but never broke into their first team. His statue is more to mark his achievements as a manager and director and the fact that his career here, in 3 different roles, spanned so many years.

I think having a picture of Ted and Lawrie as managers would fit in better, given that Ted was a fairly average player and last played for us 63 years ago. Is there one of the two of them lifting the FA Cup together somewhere in the archives?

I wouldn't have Kelvin personally. I know he has been here a while but was never anything other than a lower league 'keeper and has been largely dreadful at this level.

In truth, Fonte and Kelvin deserve to be there more than Lambert. Kelvin stuck with us through thick and thin, turned down a west ham premier league contract offer at the very end, and then helped us through two promotions and a cup final win!

Fonte stepped down a division, stuck with us and helped us through 2 promotions and is now our captain and has reached international success and is a great ambassador for the club already.

Lambert left us for a money move. I love the guy, but lets not kid ourselves that he should be on that banner before either Kelvin or Fonte.

In truth, Fonte and Kelvin deserve to be there more than Lambert. Kelvin stuck with us through thick and thin, turned down a west ham premier league contract offer at the very end, and then helped us through two promotions and a cup final win!

Fonte stepped down a division, stuck with us and helped us through 2 promotions and is now our captain and has reached international success and is a great ambassador for the club already.

Lambert left us for a money move. I love the guy, but lets not kid ourselves that he should be on that banner before either Kelvin or Fonte.

Lambert was/is a massive part of this clubs history

From what's been said lambert was not part of our long term plans, after our return to the premiership anyway

Liverpool move made sense for both party's

is this going to happen??

Not up to me dude. I was just procrastinating whilst trying to get some work done :)

Someone posted the Fonte image (which fits perfectly) and I fired up Photoshop.

It'll need the site owners will to create the .PNG properly and upload to the site server.

I'm available to do it if site owners are too busy - just supply me the original .PSD with layers and chose images and I'll sort it.

EDIT: However, its really basic stuff and anyone could do it in all honesty.

I doubt that's the case. Lambert moved because he was suddenly given the chance to return with his family to his home town club. They probably paid him more than we were paying him, granted, but I don't imagine that was his main motivation. I'm just sorry it didn't work out for him.

Lop off Keegan, he was not here long, his homes are Liverpool and Newcastle, his heart was never with us. I would prefer Nick Holmes or Jason Dodd who gave their commitment to us. Definitely prefer Fonte

But Keegan is there to make Everton jealous of our more glorious history, don't you know?

Every time this comes up it shows that people misunderstand what each player represents. They are era defining players. Yes Fonte has had more of an impact than keegan but keegan definitely represents that era and should stay for that reason

Edited by hypochondriac

So easy to be a legend these days. Surely wait until playing days are over? I would have thought the banner should be for less than one tenth of a percent of the playing squads. Not saying fonte is not deserving, but relaly, lets let "legends" be somewhat "legendary"

I'd rather Benali on there than Fonte.

Take nothing away from JF, but this is a Saints forum and he didn't win the euro's with Saints.

He's a Saints player who's come from League One and won the Euros when he's actually a Saints player - that's more personal international success than any other Saints player in history... apart from Cedric of course, who doesn't qualify because he's hardly done a year here yet.

So easy to be a legend these days. Surely wait until playing days are over? I would have thought the banner should be for less than one tenth of a percent of the playing squads. Not saying fonte is not deserving, but relaly, lets let "legends" be somewhat "legendary"

Remind me how many Saints players have won international tournaments when captaining the club?

He represents the time when we had success and gave the big boys a bloody nose and shocked a lot of people. I think he represents that we'll as probably the biggest signing we have ever made.

What you trying to do? Give me a history lesson? Yes I can remember where I was when I heard he'd signed blah blah blah but an era in my mind lasts longer than what 60 odd games.

What you trying to do? Give me a history lesson? Yes I can remember where I was when I heard he'd signed blah blah blah but an era in my mind lasts longer than what 60 odd games.

Well no need to be rude about what was a perfectly civil conversation up until that point. My point which you have missed is that that era when we performed above ourselves and had a lot of success spanned a much greater time span that 60 games but that period was summed up by the signing of keegan and thus he is an appropriate figure for the banned despite not playing many games.

Well no need to be rude about what was a perfectly civil conversation up until that point. My point which you have missed is that that era when we performed above ourselves and had a lot of success spanned a much greater time span that 60 games but that period was summed up by the signing of keegan and thus he is an appropriate figure for the banned despite not playing many games.

I didn't miss anything in your original post I was just pointing out that it was a short era. And if you think that my response was rude then I'm sorry precious - better now? As to who should or shouldn't be on the banner - yes Fonte should be there with all of the present legends ( however you wish to determine a legend).

I didn't miss anything in your original post I was just pointing out that it was a short era. And if you think that my response was rude then I'm sorry precious - better now? As to who should or shouldn't be on the banner - yes Fonte should be there with all of the present legends ( however you wish to determine a legend).

I don't think it's precious to point out when you are being rude, particularly because I was perfectly civil to you. Par for the course from some on here though. I don't think our period of success in the late 70s to 80s was that short. Certainly longer than the 60 days you were claiming. It is my opinion as I previously stated that the players on the banner are not there as "legends" though most of them could be considered that. They are there to show the history of sfc and keegan sums up that as much as anyone else from the 80s.

Edited by hypochondriac

He's a Saints player who's come from League One and won the Euros when he's actually a Saints player - that's more personal international success than any other Saints player in history... apart from Cedric of course, who doesn't qualify because he's hardly done a year here yet.

Personal international success, not success at Saints. Fonte's story shows great personal triumph and I'm delighted for him, however this is a forum about SFC and Benali has done more for the club at the moment.

I don't think it's precious to point out when you are being rude, particularly because I was perfectly civil to you. Par for the course from some on here though. I don't think our period of success in the late 70s to 80s was that short. Certainly longer than the 60 days you were claiming. It is my opinion as I previously stated that the players on the banner are not there as "legends" though most of them could be considered that. They are there to show the history of sfc and keegan sums up that as much as anyone else from the 80s.

Why not Nick Holmes or David peach or Danny Wallace hey lets Bung in frank worthington (prob not as I don't think he managed a whole 60 or so games). Keegan was no doubt a great coup and I enjoyed watching him play but era defining is pushing it in my opinion.

I'm struggling to think of something I less give a fck about. Each to their own though.

I'm into my fourth day of camping outside Steve Grant's porch door. Passers-by have been very generous. Had a long chat with one man who really wants David Armstrong up there.

We shall overcome.

I tend to agree on Franny, whilst he was far from being our greatest player what he's done since then, the fact he's genuinely Southampton (born and bred mush) and has been so involved with the club since his playing days should get him a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not Nick Holmes or David peach or Danny Wallace hey lets Bung in frank worthington (prob not as I don't think he managed a whole 60 or so games). Keegan was no doubt a great coup and I enjoyed watching him play but era defining is pushing it in my opinion.

OK well I disagree. I certainly disagree that any of those other players mentioned sums up that period better than keegan. It's the biggest transfer in our history.

Lambert was/is a massive part of this clubs history

From what's been said lambert was not part of our long term plans, after our return to the premiership anyway

Liverpool move made sense for both party's

Sorry Zuess, I don't dispute that about Lambert (and I said I love the guy). But he doesn't deserve to be up there more than Kelvin or Fonte.

Kelvin stuck with us through administration and the relegation to league 1. He waited until the last possible moment to see if he would get a new one, and then in the dying hours we were taken over and he turned down a deal at premier league West Ham to stay at a league 1 club with a 10 point deduction. He than captained us through 2 promotions and a wembley win... ending his playing time with saints in a testimonial that included both lambert and Le Tissier taking pens against him. Not to mention Elland Road!!!!!

Lambert joined us from The Pirates (my second club), scored a shed loads of goals from us and took us up the leagues scoring some amazing goals along the way (and a lot of other ones!). He also took some cracking pens. But then he left us to go to Liverpool as a bench player where he could get a massive pay day. You may say it was for family reasons as well... But kelvin stayed here through thick and thin and with, without getting paid and with no prospect of a job at one point... He then took us back to the prem.

Fonte similar to Lambert; except he stepped down to join us and stayed with us to become our captain and a great ambassador rather than heading off for pastures new and big payday.

As I said, I love Lambert and would be so pleased if he came back in any kind of role. But if you want a player that defines this period its Kelvin first, then Fonte (for loyalty) and then Lambert for his relatively short but pivotal role in our rise. That's my feeling on it anyway. Loved Lambert, great player for us and clearly loves the club... but others have given more and done as much (if not more) for the club in the same time period.

I wouldn't read all that much into Kelvin staying here. He has never good enough for West Ham's first team and would have just ended up warming the bench for the rest of his career. Saints were clearly going places with the takeover and it was probably the best move for his career.

I'm glad he stayed but to me it doesn't scream 'get him on the banner'.

OK well I disagree. I certainly disagree that any of those other players mentioned sums up that period better than keegan. It's the biggest transfer in our history.

Ok we'll agree to disagree- all I'm saying is that an era should not be defined by one player that played 60 odd games for us who happened to be one of if not the best player in Europe at the time (not that he was given that accolade while playing for the mighty saints). Should Alan ball be on the banner? After all he was a World Cup winner and a reasonably good manager for us.

Personal international success, not success at Saints. Fonte's story shows great personal triumph and I'm delighted for him, however this is a forum about SFC and Benali has done more for the club at the moment.

Keegan's main reason for being "era defining" was his success elsewhere when not a Saints player. Fonte has already done more as a Saints player than Keegan ever did.