Benteke to Crystal Palace,this is becoming very frustrating....

beowulf

Price doesn't matter, a good player can cost relatively little or a lot. We just really need to find the quality of Mane, Hojbjerg, VVD, Bertrand and Tadic and less of a Juanmi, Cuco, Pied, Clasie or even Romeu.

Though it's no coincidence that the former group, on the whole, cost more than the latter group.

Though it's no coincidence that the former group, on the whole, cost more than the latter group.

We've got decent form in the £10-12m bracket and expect to see that continue in the next week or so. But fair to say that bracket has probably now become the £12-16m bracket.

No, still no clearer, sorry.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Buying anybody from a foreign league on the relatively cheap is always going to be a bit of a gamble as to whether they are going to adapt to our league. Making a large profit out of them is even less guaranteed. If it wasn't everybody would be doing it.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Buying anybody from a foreign league on the relatively cheap is always going to be a bit of a gamble as to whether they are going to adapt to our league. Making a large profit out of them is even less guaranteed. If it wasn't everybody would be doing it.

Ah right, can you give us a list of which players are a gamble and which aren't?

I'm assuming you consider Benteke at £30m not a gamble.

Who do you think will score more goals this season or play more games?

Not sure I really understand the point to your question.

Do I think Benteke will play more games this season than Austin, then yes, in all likelihood he will - do you think Pardew will put Benteke on the bench given what he's spanked on buying him?

Given the opportunity to score a goal, who would I put my house on finishing it? Then I'd be all in on Charlie, natural born finisher.

The point is Austin may have been a good buy at 4 million but if he's going to sit on the bench for most of the season or pick up injuries when he is not,I'd have rather bought Benteke.

Benteke at Villa was fantastic he scored almost a goal every other game (42 in 89).At Liverpool under Rodgers things didn't go as well and didn't figure in Klopp's plan but he's still an excellent player at 25 and a big lad to at 6ft 3in would have been excellent alongside Long.

The point is Austin may have been a good buy at 4 million but if he's going to sit on the bench for most of the season or pick up injuries when he is not,I'd have rather bought Benteke.

Benteke at Villa was fantastic he scored almost a goal every other game (42 in 89).At Liverpool under Rodgers things didn't go as well and didn't figure in Klopp's plan but he's still an excellent player at 25 and a big lad to at 6ft 3in would have been excellent alongside Long.

Like you said IF and you have no idea if he will be onthe bench or pickup injuries for that matter unless you can predict the future

but in truth it probably fits in with your contant pessimistic view...

Ah right, can you give us a list of which players are a gamble and which aren't?

I'm assuming you consider Benteke at £30m not a gamble.

Au contraire, £30m is a gamble if the buying club is stretching its resources to buy him. For a club like Man U it wouldn't even count as speculation.

Austin sits on our bench if the formation doesn't suit him, if the formation doesn't suit Austin why would it suit Benteke?

Pessimistic or Realistic the season will be he judge of that. When I'm at the ground I'm 100% behind Saints come what may but when I post here I like to be realistic.

I can see the club I love getting into trouble, allow me my concerns.

Goals and Assists you certainly wouldn't put many Saints players in your fantasy team.

Pessimistic or Realistic the season will be he judge of that. When I'm at the ground I'm 100% behind Saints come what may but when I post here I like to be realistic.

I can see the club I love getting into trouble, allow me my concerns.

Goals and Assists you certainly wouldn't put many Saints players in your fantasy team.

Realistic and advocating £30m spend on one player...

Like you said IF and you have no idea if he will be onthe bench or pickup injuries for that matter unless you can predict the future

but in truth it probably fits in with your contant pessimistic view...

Would you take exception to someone saying they think Austin will play every game and score 30 goals?

because they are not the same sort of player

They're not the same kind of player overall, but they're both the kind of player whose qualities don't fit our current system of playing two strikers out wide to counterattack quickly from through balls and asking them to defend the full backs.

as I said, it you made a good point initially. But going forward, it will be harder and harder (probably rather quickly) to find these players in the same bracket

prices go up, but for English clubs, can only see them go up more rapidly

I understand your point (that the actual amounts will be more expensive), but not why you think we're looking for players in a particular price bracket, rather than the actual process, of looking at players and then seeing if we can get them, then making a decision on cost.

As for "English clubs will see prices go up more rapidly", yes, but only because everyone knows English clubs have more money. That includes Saints.

The concern should not be that "prices might go up", it should be that everyone else adopts the same logical and data-driven approach and we get squeezed out of affordable players that we want by more attractive competitors who aren't offering more money.

If we bought a £25-30m striker it would completely destabilise us as all the other players would be thinking why they are not getting the same level of pay. We are stuck now in this regime where we can only buy for £10m or so and hope it is the right person or we may be able to sell on like we did Mane for a huge profit. Making money on transfers seems the god now not trying to improve the team and go to the next level. Surely after qualifying for the Europa League the correct thing would have been to sign players who would take us to the edge of Champions League not bottom half of the Premier League.

Let's say that there has been a history of foreign imports who have not adapted to or been a success in the Premier League. Many of these have been moved on subsequently at a loss. I certainly don't remember many in here thinking that we'd sell him on for a big markup after only two years. I admit that I had my misgivings myself. Out of Osvaldo, Ramírez and Mané we just about broke even overall.

We are at a loss for foreign signings. People easily forget buys such as Forren, Mayuka, Juanmi all to easily. Mane is the stand out success story, followed by Lovren... perhaps this says more about Liverpool paying OTT than it does our success rate... Although I do think that Mane is/will be one of the best players around - absolutely unplayable on his day and destroys teams for fun... there is no defending him at times. If anything, we sold him far far far too cheap.

We are at a loss for foreign signings. People easily forget buys such as Forren, Mayuka, Juanmi all to easily. Mane is the stand out success story, followed by Lovren... perhaps this says more about Liverpool paying OTT than it does our success rate... Although I do think that Mane is/will be one of the best players around - absolutely unplayable on his day and destroys teams for fun... there is no defending him at times. If anything, we sold him far far far too cheap.

And yet he was vilified on here during his first few months at the club. "Worse than Ali Dia" some said, "non-league at best" said others. In fairness, I was critical of him too in the early days but have now learned that a bit of patience goes a long way.