Van Dijk

Viking Saint

Nothing serious, just a little strain apparentley.

No point in Klippety risking him at our place though, I don’t think Lovren is going to lose any sleepless nights about our attack, and the chanting aimed at him will subside after Salah or Mane complete their hat-tracks

Yeah but that's us. Champions of keeping injuries under wraps for no apparent reason what so ever.

Did we ever find out what was wrong with him? According to Saints, he was out for 8 months with a bruised foot.

• 3 years later...

Bit of a bump, but I saw these quotes from our old mate Austin, and thought they were quite interesting. I'm not sure if Austin is doing his usual shit stirring though.

Austin told talkSPORT: 'I remember in the back end of his Southampton career, we were on the bench at Chelsea away. I was sat there (and said): "Come on Virg, what's going on? Surely Man United must have been in for you? It's a massive club in England."

'And he said: "In the summer it was between me or Lindelof. And they signed Lindelof. No-one knows that." I couldn't believe it. I was gobsmacked.'

The Dutchman was linked to some of Europe's top clubs but Southampton, who were managed by Mauricio Pellegrino at the time, refused to let the defender leave.  

Austin recalled: 'I remember him (Pellegrino) getting everyone in pre-season and he got us all around, everyone on the pitch including Virg, and he just came out there and said: "Look lads, Virgil wants to go and the club are not allowing him to go. 

'He says he's not going to play so he's not going to train with us. (He said that) in front of everybody including Virgil, who was gobsmacked. (He had) no heads up from the manager or anything. 

'He said, "you're going to train with the physio and the fitness coach." It was more down the line of stamping his authority, (doing) what he had to do. Albeit, he didn't move in the summer and two days after the transfer window shut, Virgil was starting again on the Saturday.' 

'He apologised to the lads, but the lads were like: "Virg, we understand. You were linked with Liverpool, you wanted to go, it's fine by us." But we were happy he was still there.'   

Manchester United decided to sign Victor Lindelof over Virgil van Dijk in 2017, says Charlie Austin | Daily Mail Online

Edited by S-Clarke

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bit of a bump, but I saw these quotes from our old mate Austin, and thought they were quite interesting. I'm not sure if Austin is doing his usual shit stirring though.

Manchester United decided to sign Victor Lindelof over Virgil van Dijk in 2017, says Charlie Austin | Daily Mail Online

Hard to take Charlie Austin seriously when he doesn't know who the Saints manager was at the time! 😉🙄👼

• Like 1

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Post of the day for me, in that Pellegrino's spoken English was poor, but now he's saying "Look lads..."