Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

In the first half we played some great fooball and probably should have scored 2 or 3 goals. Brum City looked a bit shocked by our passing and movement and didn't really know what to do about it

second half most of the young players ran out of steam and the older players (Perry and Killer) legs went

Birmingham brought on Bent and Jerome and overran our defense

both Surman and James were great going forward - but James in particular has a lot to learn about playing at right back

the 4 best ball players on the pitch (Gillett, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Surman) were all in red and white stripes

however we had nothing on the bench unlike Brum (where were Dyer and BWP?)

As for Stern John he was off the pace today, playing a different beat and on a different wavelength to the youngsters

his hold up play broke the rythm for a start and he kept laying the ball of to no one - and his pace and movement (as usual) just weren't there

he also missed a free header!

we need two full backs (two allow James and Surman to play in midfield) and a centre forward with pace

Everyone needs to lighten up.Coventry are top,they have played Norwich and Barnsley,we're second bottom having started at Cardiff where the majority of our division wouldn't have got a result on day one followed by the championship favourites who again the majority of our division will struggle to beat this season.Had we had Coventrys fixtures i am certain we would be top after two games.I have seen enough quality in Saints already this season to suggest we will win a lot of games,and i'd like to add i am generally a pessamist regarding Saints.After two very narrow and unlucky defeats i still feel very confident in our young team.

JP in his after match interview spoke about the bench, Thompson to keep connected, seemed to recognise Dyer /BWP were missed, but as they were unsure that Svennson would be OK, were committed to two defenders on the bench.

We need to stop using this system, 2 strikers works. Teams havent been playing 4-4-2 for over a hundred years because it doesnt work...ffs.

You are right. No-one played 4-4-2 until at least the 60's. Probably the most common formation until then was the W formation comprising two wingers flanking a centre forward with two deeper-lying inside forwards. Behind them would be two half backs in front of a centre back and two full backs.

You are right. No-one played 4-4-2 until at least the 60's. Probably the most common formation until then was the W formation comprising two wingers flanking a centre forward with two deeper-lying inside forwards. Behind them would be two half backs in front of a centre back and two full backs.

More like, Two full backs and a centre half playing on a pivot, a defensive halfback on one side and a playmaker half back on the other, a defensive inside forward and an attacking inside forward then two wingers and a centre forward. 3/1-2-1/3.

If I recollect the first team in the country to play 4-2-4 was Bournemouth & Boscombe. Sold as flexible, Becoming 4-4-2 when defending.

I've seen the matches against West Ham, Cardiff and Birmingham and have enjoyed watching the way we play.

It is a simple system, we keep possession, its not one dimensional when we have creative players like Lallana and Schneiderlin. After watching these three games I would say one problem we have is on the left, where Holmes often seems unwilling to bring Surman into the game. Perhaps bringing back Skacel at left back and moving Surman forward would help, Skacel is a good enough player to adapt to this style.

We are not going to walk the league but we will do ok this season. We have played last years cup finalists and a team who has come out of the premiership with a very good squad still mainly intact.

The football is the best we have seen for some time, its good to see the youngsters play with freedom and confidence and we should support them for that.

JP has said he want the play to start from the back and wants footballers at full back, so midfielders who can make a range of passes are key to that, so don't expect him to sign traditional full backs.

I cant believe most people would want to watch journeyman hoofers over young exciting footballers. Get behind the lads, come and watch them and enjoy the football, its the best since the Chris Nichol era.

I've seen the matches against West Ham, Cardiff and Birmingham and have enjoyed watching the way we play.

It is a simple system, we keep possession, its not one dimensional when we have creative players like Lallana and Schneiderlin. After watching these three games I would say one problem we have is on the left, where Holmes often seems unwilling to bring Surman into the game. Perhaps bringing back Skacel at left back and moving Surman forward would help, Skacel is a good enough player to adapt to this style.

We are not going to walk the league but we will do ok this season. We have played last years cup finalists and a team who has come out of the premiership with a very good squad still mainly intact.

The football is the best we have seen for some time, its good to see the youngsters play with freedom and confidence and we should support them for that.

JP has said he want the play to start from the back and wants footballers at full back, so midfielders who can make a range of passes are key to that, so don't expect him to sign traditional full backs.

I cant believe most people would want to watch journeyman hoofers over young exciting footballers. Get behind the lads, come and watch them and enjoy the football, its the best since the Chris Nichol era.

exactimundo my friend.

JP in his after match interview spoke about the bench, Thompson to keep connected, seemed to recognise Dyer /BWP were missed, but as they were unsure that Svennson would be OK, were committed to two defenders on the bench.

Soooo, Killer has started to feel his knee just as Davies is about to be sold! Great!! I really hope this is not the beginning of yet another CB catastrophe at SMS!!!

As for the subs bench: I don't think I have ever known a Saints bench (at home) to not have a striker on it. We were AT HOME and had: 1 x GK; 1 x CB; 1 x LB; 1 x DM; 1 x RM. Okay, so he was worried about Killer lasting the game but didn't Wotton used to be a CB? Didn't he play in that very same position on Tuesday (for the 2nd half) at Exeter? If he (JP) REALLY felt that he HAD to include Lancashire on the bench why wasn't it at the expense of Wotton or Mills? What was the reasoning for having a LB on the bench? Was he worried that Drew wouldn't complete the match as well?

It was a home game FFS, and our first one of the seaon at that, and we had lost our previous league game. We needed to get some points on the board (although I did really expect a loss today) and any idiot would have put a striking option on the bench, even Burley would have done so!!

Reading back through this post it looks like a pop at JP, and maybe it is, but the bottom line is that I really do hope he learns his lesson from this mistake!!

In a position like we are what else can we do.We have to sell to recoup our excesses in the past.

And to cover the seasons lost gate revenue.

We are playing the reserve team and around 17,000 fans realise that they have better things to spend money on.

By my maths 50% of Saints fans no longer attend because they know we are cr@p

Have any of you guys not woken up yet to the fact that you have blown your hard earned money on season tickets to see a team play that is no better than a pub team is on a good day?

It used to be free to see the reserves,now 9,000 fans buy a season ticket.

Next year will be Div1 and the under 18,s being fielded.

Question: As a football chairman how do you sell half the team from under the managers nose without him beating down your door?

Answer: Offer the job to an old dutch mate ;)

Kevin Phillips sinks Saints

Southampton 1 Birmingham 2Ivo Tennant at St Mary’s stadium

WHEN you are in need of a goal or two, send for Kevin Phillips. It is a homily that has benefited numerous teams down the years, including Southampton and now Birmingham.

Returning to just one of his many former clubs, this most alert of forwards scored the winning goal with his first touch after coming on as a substitute.

His goal on the opening day of the season had achieved a 1-0 victory for Birmingham over Sheffield United. This one was less well crafted but it still illustrated the priceless worth of positional sense that is unaffected by advancing years.

“At the age of 35 I can’t play every week but I want as much action as possible. I have scored goals at every club I have played for and hopefully that can carry on,” said Phillips.

The fact that Phillips left a Premiership club in West Bromwich Albion for one in the Championship is of no concern to him: “I wanted to play on a regular basis and did not see that happening,” he said. Alex McLeish, Birmingham’s manager, said that Phillips would play from the outset in certain matches this season. One reason, no doubt, is that, without him, McLeish’s team had “put years on me” in the first-half.

Southampton had played with no little flair initially and deservedly took the lead. One part of the club that they do appear to have run well over several trying years is their academy.

Jan Poortvliet, their new head coach, has promoted three players who have learned their trade within it and has emphasised that if they are good enough, they will be given a chance.

Lloyd James, at right back, combined particularly well with David McGoldrick on the wing, Simon Gillett almost scored the opening goal from midfield and Adam Lallana had his moments in attack.

That shot from Gillett was parried by Maik Taylor following McGoldrick’s outstripping of David Murphy on the right wing.

There was a decent chance too for Lee Holmes from a further cross by McGoldrick, which was inelegantly scuffed. His corner two minutes later was more impressively struck, Chris Perry heading in with the finely timed run of a highly experienced defender.

Birmingham, who left Phillips on the bench until the 76th minute, did not want for chances in the first-half, either. Quincy Owusu-Abeyie beguiled Southampton’s right-sided defenders on several occasions. Twice he provided James McFadden with excellent openings, one of which he missed completely and the other mi****.

All-in-all, though, Southampton were deserving of their half-time lead and should have extended it two minutes afterwards when Stern John headed wide from another McGoldrick cross. Alas for them, this profligacy was not restricted to the forward line: an inability to clear the ball three minutes after the restart resulted in Gary O’Connor having the opportunity to slip the ball past Kelvin Davis.

Then Owusu-Abeyie, on loan from Spartak Moscow following his inability to win a place in the team at Arsenal, was foiled by Davis’ legs just as McFadden had been shortly beforehand.

Off went Owusu-Abeyie after 76 minutes — surprisingly, given his speed of foot and thought — and on came Phillips to unacceptable jeers from supporters who had once applauded his every assured touch.

So there was a poignancy about his goal just a minute later. McFadden’s cross was headed downwards by Marcus Bent, over Davis and off the crossbar, and Phillips tucked the ball in at the second attempt. Two goals, two matches for his third Midlands club, to say nothing of all the others.

“The players tried to play football until just before the end and I will stick with the system I know from Holland. For the moment, they are trying some tricks but we have lost our first two matches and I think they can learn because they have the quality. We need to be a bit more ruthless, for sure,” said Poortvliet.

“What has pleased me most has been the ability of the young players we have at Southampton.

“It may take some time for them to learn and grow in the next few weeks but I have seen enough to confirm that they will help us to have a great season with the assistance of the experienced professionals we have in the squad.”

We are playing the reserve team and around 17,000 fans realise that they have better things to spend money on.

Have any of you guys not woken up yet to the fact that you have blown your hard earned money on season tickets to see a team play that is no better than a pub team is on a good day?

Question: As a football chairman how do you sell half the team from under the managers nose without him beating down your door?

our team is better than last year, they are far better players.

You clearly havent been to a game this season. I don't know any pub teams with players as classy as Lallana and Schneiderlin.

If this is our reserve team it is better than the "first" team of last season.

Oh, and don't bother coming to see a game, we don't want the negativity at SMS.

Last year from Crystal Palace through to Sheff Utd was dire. We played some of the most unimagineable dross whilst winning and losing.

This year we are trying to play football, David Armstrong talking about experience said unmotivated experience like last year was definitely not needed.

However good professional motivated experience helping the young players to develop was the answer. Maybe if we could get the high earners away we might be able to arrange something.

Who might that be then ?

You havent got a clue how I would react in that instance, dont even pretend you have..

I havent thought about it a great deal as its hardly likely to happen, but you are an exremely negative person, at least in terms of Saints and I think many posters on here get ****ed off with the relentlessness of your criticism of players you havent seen and the general doom and gloom of pretty much every single one of your thousands of posts.

Have you not woken up to the fact you're talking ******? I've seen more football played in the 4 games I've seen SMS this season than I've seen in the last 4 years. I can't see how losing to the CCC favourites and outplaying them (as stated on radio 5) for half the match can mean they are a team play that is no better than a pub team is on a good day

I was at the 9 home defeats that our journeymen mercenaries served up last season and came away embarrassed at the inept play I was watching. Today I came away proud to be a Saints fan again and can't wait for the next football treat served up by my team

Is that aimed just at me or the other 16,999 fans who are staying away as well?

Just the overly negative ones who criticise players they have never seen play and generally call it wide of the mark. Ok, we may lack certain qualities but footballing ability is not one, its more about physical strength.

I havent thought about it a great deal as its hardly likely to happen, but you are an exremely negative person, at least in terms of Saints and I think many posters on here get ****ed off with the relentlessness of your criticism of players you havent seen and the general doom and gloom of pretty much every single one of your thousands of posts.

Or disregard them as irrelevant. The non football one's are sometimes interesting but the matchday ones.......

Is that aimed just at me or the other 16,999 fans who are staying away as well?
16,999?? that would make about 36,000, have we extended the ground?? most are staying away because they were only ever here for the dull premiership, they probably have gone back to wearing liverpool/aresnal/chelsea/manure shirts and watching on sky.

Do you know what really saddens me?? walking away from the grond and a kids team were training in a park, not one of the kids was wearing a saints shirt and they were literally playing a stones throw from the ground, they obviously like football but suppporting aresnal, cjelsea etc how many games will they realistically get to go and see, if you're born in Southampton and like football you should be made to support saints, if you don't you should be extradited to iraq.

Who gave you the right to judge who is and who isnt welcome at SMS ?

Nobody did, but although the crowd was small today, everyone was behind the lads, no boos etc and the players responded.

This is how it should be whilst everyone is giving 100% such as today. We were not far off a win.

I would encourage anyone to come and see the team play, the first half was the most entertaining period of Saints play I have seen since the Strachan era and the fans that were there responded.

Hence why 90% of people at the game gave good reports, maybe that says something? (ie that we played well and did not deserve to lose)

Well, I was listening to the Brum fans on the 18.10 cross country train from central, and not onlt were they extremely relieved to have won, they were also saying that they couldn't believe a team with so many youngsters had played so well. They also said that they really can't see Saints struggling to finish in the top ten this season. And before you ask, I was just listening to them talking amongst themselves, and not getting involved in the conversation.

Have you not woken up to the fact you're talking ******? I've seen more football played in the 4 games I've seen SMS this season than I've seen in the last 4 years. I can't see how losing to the CCC favourites and outplaying them (as stated on radio 5) for half the match can mean they are a team play that is no better than a pub team is on a good day

I was at the 9 home defeats that our journeymen mercenaries served up last season and came away embarrassed at the inept play I was watching. Today I came away proud to be a Saints fan again and can't wait for the next football treat served up by my team

I can see a pattern developing here though.

The fans and media will be saying how good we are and how we SHOULD have won.

Soon will they be calling us the unlucky Saints?

To drive out draws and wins you need journeyed ccc players not a bunch of kids!

Ask KP he knows the score.

Just the overly negative ones who criticise players they have never seen play and generally call it wide of the mark. Ok, we may lack certain qualities but footballing ability is not one, its more about physical strength.

Welcome to the CCC....always been the same!

Well, I was listening to the Brum fans on the 18.10 cross country train from central, and not onlt were they extremely relieved to have won, they were also saying that they couldn't believe a team with so many youngsters had played so well. They also said that they really can't see Saints struggling to finish in the top ten this season. And before you ask, I was just listening to them talking amongst themselves, and not getting involved in the conversation.

Exactly what I wold have thought if I was a Brum fan, our youngsters played them off the pitch for 45mins, and they have players being linke with 5m moves to big clubs, we can't be that bad!

2 f*ckin games, give them a bl*ody chance.

16,999?? that would make about 36,000, have we extended the ground?? most are staying away because they were only ever here for the dull premiership, they probably have gone back to wearing liverpool/aresnal/chelsea/manure shirts and watching on sky.

Do you know what really saddens me?? walking away from the grond and a kids team were training in a park, not one of the kids was wearing a saints shirt and they were literally playing a stones throw from the ground, they obviously like football but suppporting aresnal, cjelsea etc how many games will they realistically get to go and see, if you're born in Southampton and like football you should be made to support saints, if you don't you should be extradited to iraq.

Reading your last sentence I have a feeling I am spending my Saturday evening chatting online to a 14 year old.

Developing ?

Didnt we get these comments from sniggering opponent managers the whole time under Burley ???

I was very impressed with Gillett and McGoldrick, I thought Holmes was poor. First half display very encouraging, just a shame we couldnt get a point. I thought there was nowhere near enough effort to get back into the game once Phillips scored.

Davis 7.5

James 6

Surman 5.5

Svensson 7

Perry 6.5 (bad error for their first goal)

Schneiderlin 6.5

Gillett 7.5

Holmes 5

McGoldrick 7.5

Lallana 6.5

John 6.5

I could see a pattern developing from our first three games last season. We lost all three playing crap and we continued playing crap most of the season. We have narrowly lost 2 of our most diificult fixtures and the prophets of doom are out already. I'll start worrying when we lose at home to the likes of Palace, Barnsley, Charlton, Preston,Watford,Norwich,QPR, Plymouth & Burnley with performances to match those of last season.

Isn't it interesting how some are already trying to rewrite history to prove their points. Broad sweeping statements like "we only played dross all last season" for example. Although there were very many games where that was true, there were other games when we played scintillating football, as good as that on show in our first two matches. Bristol City were top of the division when they came here and their fans chanting that they were going to win the league. Any impartial observer watching the game and not knowing which team was which, would have put their money on the promotion chasers being us. Of course, we also beat Sheffield United playing some really good entertaining football too. As both teams were in the frame for either automatic promotion or the play offs, then they can be considered to be the equal of Cardiff or Birmingham this season and last season's squad beat them.

So I think that some are attempting to justify the sale of any quality we had on grounds that they were crap, whereas the real reason is that we just cannot afford them. On that basis, I'll be perfectly content that we might well play Scacel and Euell after the end of the month if they're still here, as they could have added some spine in the second half today.

Davis 7.5

James 6 (tired second half)

Surman 6 (out of postion)

Svensson 7

Perry 6.5

Schneiderlin 8 (Reminded me of Steve Williams)

Gillett 7 (tired second half)

Holmes 4 (struggled for fitnes second half)

McGoldrick 7 (looked really good but faded when he was pushed up front)

Lallana 7 (we will struggle to hold onto this player)

John 6 (had a very quiet game)

The point is - this is not obvious. At least it would appear not to be obvious to 90 per cent of the posters here who actually saw the game today.

I personally could not give a FF about the directors at all - if we get it right on the pitch, the rest of the club will look after itself. (partial indirect quote from Jason Dodd)

As for truth, are you implying that all of the poster on here that have so far said that we did ok today, are in fact, lying.

If this is the case then perhaps you could enlighten me as to the truth, what really happened today - or weren't you there?

The truth is that we have played two and lost two...put whatever spin you want to on the results todate and it does not change this. I went to Cardiff last week, I saw a team that was too young and inexperienced at this level. We do not have the luxury of being able to tread water and wait until they are more able. Send out on loan some of the youngsters with their salary paid by the club borrowing them, get in a couple of loanees in defensive positions or we are doomed.

It is admirable that many on here have a rose coloured view of our team, but, sooner or later they will wake up to reality.

Isn't it interesting how some are already trying to rewrite history to prove their points. Broad sweeping statements like "we only played dross all last season" for example. Although there were very many games where that was true, there were other games when we played scintillating football, as good as that on show in our first two matches. Bristol City were top of the division when they came here and their fans chanting that they were going to win the league. Any impartial observer watching the game and not knowing which team was which, would have put their money on the promotion chasers being us. Of course, we also beat Sheffield United playing some really good entertaining football too. As both teams were in the frame for either automatic promotion or the play offs, then they can be considered to be the equal of Cardiff or Birmingham this season and last season's squad beat them.

Comparing Bristol City's overachieving bunch of League 1 players as equal to Birmingham's PL quality packed team of today is laughable to say the least. Birmingham and Cardiff will both finish higher than

Bristol C and Sheff Utd did last season

The truth is that we have played two and lost two...put whatever spin you want to on the results todate and it does not change this. I went to Cardiff last week, I saw a team that was too young and inexperienced at this level. We do not have the luxury of being able to tread water and wait until they are more able. Send out on loan some of the youngsters with their salary paid by the club borrowing them, get in a couple of loanees in defensive positions or we are doomed.

It is admirable that many on here have a rose coloured view of our team, but, sooner or later they will wake up to reality.

No spin here - played two, lost two, 6 points down the pan, bottom of the CCC after the first week of the season, playing with a bunch of kids who have little experience at this level, coached by a pair of unproven Dutch guys, SMS half empty, RL off loading players to try to balance the books - I accept all of these facts.

But if your going to throw in the towel after 2 games of the season then I suspect that you have little determination, grit or stamina. I'm pretty sure that that the staff at SMS will take a different stance and won't be going to the corner for the 'white flag' just yet.

Rose tinted glasses - noooooo just a little justifiable optimism...!

Saw today what I feared we'd see .... really great performance by the kids ....especially in the first half ........they deserved at least a draw...and arguably should have won ....BUT we missed chance after chance after chance after chance ...and paid the price for a total and painful lack of finishing ...we should have been at least 3-0 up at half time

Ever since I saw the Celtic game I've been thinking the lack of finishing will cost us ......and shipping out Rasiak and Saga (**** the cost!) is madness ...utter madness... that comes straight from the mind of Lowe .....the tosser! ......If Rasiak had been on that pitch today he would have buried the chances others missed

Kelvin was utter sh*te as well...someone nailed his feet to the goal line..

Unless something sensible happens ...expect League 1 football and administration to follow....(probably not even in that order)

Snowballs2

The truth is that we have played two and lost two...put whatever spin you want to on the results to date and it does not change this. I went to Cardiff last week, I saw a team that was too young and inexperienced at this level.

I would suggest that our "youngsters" are older than a lot of, say Arsenals youngsters.

Schneiderlin and Thompson are the only two under 20. Lallana and James are 20, Holmes and McGoldrick are 21, Surman and Gillett are 22.

They might not have a lot of games between them, but as six of those eight have been at the club for a while and it could be argued should have had more experience by now, especially Gillett.

Incidentally Surman has the same number of club appearances (82) as Svensson!