Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

My Personal ratings on Saints v Birmingham

Kelvin Davis 5.5 - Not hugely busy but won't be particularly happy with his performance tonight

Lloyd James 7 - Struggled somewhat against a very useful Owusu-Abeye but kept at it and is certainly no worse than last seasons RB's

Micheal Svensson 6.5 - Not quite the commanding performance I was looking for , I don't think he's fully fit

Chris Perry 7 - Good headed goal and a sound game , but maybe at fault for the equaliser ?

Andrew Surman 6.5 - No problem defensively but never much of a threat going forward , not really in the game at times

Morgan Schneiderlin 8 MOTM - Outstanding display , pacy , always looking to get forward , he could be the star of this teamSimon Gillett 7.5 - Great effort , nearly as good as Schneiderlin , faded a little 2nd half

Lee Holmes 7 - Hard worker and quite effective in the 1st half . Far better than we should expect for a free transfer

Adam Lallana 7.5 - Classy little player , beautiful touch , seems to have baulked up over the summer and will only get better with games

David McGoldrick 6.5 - Much better than last season but still needs to enforce himself on the game more , at least the equal to BWP

Stern John 6 - The games all about taking your chances and SJ didn't today , but still an automatic starter for me . good hold up player

Substitutions :

Jake Thompson 6 - Quick attacking winger but he needs to improve on his crossing IMO . A bright prospect for the future

Summery :

For those who weren't there we really were all over BCFC like a cheap suite in the first half and could/should had have the game won after 30 minutes . It's a terrible old cliche but it's still true ' you must take your chances when you're on top' we didn't and ultimately we paid the price - yet again ! :mad:

This young team is full of promise , raw talent and hard work , we play an attractive passing game that can be a pleasure to watch at times , but the learning curve in front of this new team is very steep and we need to get some points on the board , obviously the sooner the better .

As the second half progressed the team started to fade particularly with Stern substituted , we desperately needed some fresh attacking players in the mix but for some unexplained reason two very obvious candidates (Dyer & BWP) were missing from the bench :confused: - the manager must take responsibility for this inexplicable (and possibly fatal) omission .

sorry mate, you have got his rating wrong -he is light weight - I know I thought he is stong, physical and skillful as well, but Alpine has corrected us and said that he is lightweight and his view is more relevant than those of us who have seen him play

sorry mate, you have got his rating wrong -he is light weight - I know I thought he is stong, physical and skillful as well, but Alpine has corrected us and said that he is lightweight and his view is more relevant than those of us who have seen him play
damm, that makes me wrong too:(

Agh, the old gelling theory. The problem is that most of the other sides with new players seem to have no problem gelling.

Early days I know against tough opposition, but would'nt it of made a change to see us get off to a good start rather than playing catchup so early on again.

The problem is now that not only are we still looking for our first point, but the morale will be sinking fast especially with the youth of the side.

Morale will only sink if fans get on their backs. What was encouraging today was the applause that the team got at the end from the fans who clearly recognised the positives. The youngsters today went toe to toe with a good Birmingham side and the result could have gone either way. We made as many clear cut chances as they did but the difference was that they took two of theirs and we took only one of ours. Far too early to be pressing panic buttons.

Saw today what I feared we'd see .... really great performance by the kids ....especially in the first half ........they deserved at least a draw...and arguably should have won ....BUT we missed chance after chance after chance after chance ...and paid the price for a total and painful lack of finishing ...we should have been at least 3-0 up at half time

Ever since I saw the Celtic game I've been thinking the lack of finishing will cost us ......and shipping out Rasiak and Saga (**** the cost!) is madness ...utter madness... that comes straight from the mind of Lowe .....the tosser! ......If Rasiak had been on that pitch today he would have buried the chances others missed

Kelvin was utter sh*te as well...someone nailed his feet to the goal line..

Unless something sensible happens ...expect League 1 football and administration to follow....(probably not even in that order)

If we had sold John and would have kept Rasiak and he missed a chance you would have been saying this about John. The fact of the matter is, we had a proven goalscorer on the pitch and he apparently missed a huge chance. Just shows that even experienced player can **** up and that missing that chance had nothing at all to do with youth. Besides that Saga might have scored a vital goal against Sheff Utd. and he might have worked hard last season but he was anything but a prolific striker. The transfers of Rasiak and Saga are sensible ones both financially and technically. As long as we'll create chances there will be plenty of occasions when we do score the goals, we have a good striker in John and DMG has shown in the last few games he knows where the net is too.

If we had sold John and would have kept Rasiak and he missed a chance you would have been saying this about John. The fact of the matter is, we had a proven goalscorer on the pitch and he apparently missed a huge chance. Just shows that even experienced player can **** up and that missing that chance had nothing at all to do with youth. Besides that Saga might have scored a vital goal against Sheff Utd. and he might have worked hard last season but he was anything but a prolific striker. The transfers of Rasiak and Saga are sensible ones both financially and technically. As long as we'll create chances there will be plenty of occasions when we do score the goals, we have a good striker in John and DMG has shown in the last few games he knows where the net is too.

Apart from John & DMG & BWP who else do we have? Do we really want to go through a season with these three?

How do you come to that conclusion he did well with a sht and follow up in the first half and then a greatr save in the 2nd

Nick, just accept that there is an element on here whose prejudice against Davis is such that they are incapable of assessing his performance with any level of objectivity. He did nothing wrong today and could have done nothing about the two goals. Others must be held responsible for those. Davis is, at the moment, the best keeper that we have but it is depressing that people still feel the need to keep sniping at him because he is not Richard Wright.

1st half fairly even but good, plucky performance from the team. 2nd half completely one sided. Same as last wkend. We have no plan B, largely because we have no players. Blackpool is looking like a must win game. Yes, some of our moves are quite attractive but we are 1 or 2 injuries away from deep trouble. Would settle for 21st now.

Why not if you're playing with one striker?
When we went 2-1 down today we should have switched to a 4-4-2 formation but could not because we did not have any striking options on the bench. Also we need cover for injuries. Unfortunately our financial position is obviously impacting our ability dip into the transfer market.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Just back. Definitely the best Saints performance in the first half that I have seen in a few years, great one touch passing, Gillett and Schneiderlin in control, Lallana some great touches and DMG and Holmes stretching Brum's defence.

OK, we mucked up in the 2nd half, but the goals were the fault (if anyone's) of our more experienced players and for large parts we outplayed Brum who were largely long ball merchants.

We will certainly thrash a few teams at SMS and with the team learning all the time and am very confident that JP will be a success.

At the end of the day Brum have a Prem team and will be in the top 3 or 4 come May, we won't be, but will certainly be in the CCC.

For those who moan yet haven't seen the matches (and probably don't intend to) this is a Saints team that play good, entertaining football and play with passion. IMO we were miles better than with a load of journeymen pros who are more bothered about their pay packet.

Get behind the lads and go and see them play before judging them, you may actually be impressed (Alpine excluded).

I must agree with your comments. Especially the Journeymen bit. This is exactly what we were saying at half time.

It's a shame the second half spoiled the show.

Just back from the game.

Upside

Make no mistake about it, this Saints team will win more than they lose this season.

Good attacking football, good passing, good recovering when the ball is lost.

This team wants to play for Southampton. Some of their football was a joy to watch.

Suddenly we are getting our moneys worth.

We made a good Birminham side look very ordinary for long periods of the game.

We were the better side in the first half.

I thought the second half was about even

Downside

We lost!

I concur. If John buries the header, we win 2 or 3 nil. Massive turning point in the game.

They go straight up the other end and score a woefully scrappy goal.

But, we're young and we'll learn (I hope) and I would say there were far, far more positives today than I have seen for a long, long time.

Very impressed with Saints again today. Up agains the future winners of the CCC our youngsters were again outstanding. Well done Lloyd James your effort and determination were outstanding. Don't think I have seen Alec McLeish so vocal at a game, he was going livid as we bossed most of the game. My only disappointment today was with the bench, not having another striker, whether that be BWP, Dyer, Paterson or White was a big mistake - if we need to chase a game we need strikers on the bench.

Fabulous to hear the positive opinions of many who were there. So far we've played -- at my best guess -- a playoff team and the potential champions. And it sounds like we could/should have got a point from both.

Results will get better.

But I'm still deeply worried about the sale of Davies. He was the LAST player I would have wanted to go. It means we're mortgaging the season on the health of Killer's Knee. Lancashire, Racine may be ones for the future -- but it's a big ask for them to step up right now.

Still... can't wait to get back to Blighty and watch a young side playing good footie.

Cheers all.

LOL, utterly arrogant.

I know, and I genuinely apologise for the way it sounds - it wasnt intended to sound like that, and I cannot stand arrogance.

However, the gist stands - there seem to be an awful lot of people who are witnessing the games, who cannot see the worrying trend that already exists.

independent view of first half performance

Alec McLeish - says we were easily the best side -radio 5 interview,

I know game of two halves, we have lost both games etc but not saying we will come good and win league, just already seen better play than last year to suggest to me we will do comfortably better.

Yes it is worrying, and can understand if people have only seen results and sales it would be more worrying - but note the posts from those who have seen the games. Particularly the thread for reports only from Cardiff -in the main said we did well.

Even I didn't expect much if anything from first three games!

Davis 7 - some decent saves, couldn't fault him really

James 3 - lacks pace which was exposed. No help from McGoldrick mind.

Perry 5 - terrible distribution and beaten in the air a lot

Svensson 7 - started great but got beaten in the air towards the end

Surman 7 - wsted at fullback, just could not get forward in 2nd half

Schneiderlin 8 - very composed, ran the show in 1st half

Gillet 6 - some terrible first touches that nearly cost us.

Holmes 5 - Its Anders Svensson, no pace and did nothing in 2nd half

McGoldrick 3 - never a right midfielder/winger. Even less effective when moved into middle

John 6 - shoukd hae acored with header. Tough on his own. Showed how hard the role is when McGoldrick tried and failed.

Lallana 8 - a real talent, worked his socks off as well.

Thompson 4 - genuine pace and caused them problems but no end product. Not used enough.

Decent start but once Brum worked us out and then with Jerome coming on for Nafti the game changed. He ran us ragged by the way. Brum murdered us in the second half and deserved to win. We look lightweight up front. McGoldrick was terrible.

Edited by Chez

I know, and I genuinely apologise for the way it sounds - it wasnt intended to sound like that, and I cannot stand arrogance.

However, the gist stands - there seem to be an awful lot of people who are witnessing the games, who cannot see the worrying trend that already exists.

Not everyone is like that. I can see that we have played well at the start of games but if

I had to put my house on it I'd say we will struggle this season to survive.

I concur. If John buries the header, we win 2 or 3 nil. Massive turning point in the game.

They go straight up the other end and score a woefully scrappy goal.

But, we're young and we'll learn (I hope) and I would say there were far, far more positives today than I have seen for a long, long time.

I heartily concur. I don't think I have been as enthused about a Saints performance as I was yesterday; not because we won, as clearly we didn't, but because every young man in red and white gave his all in a display of impressive football, and because every Saints player played for the team and put in maximum effort. When was the last time we were able to say these things?

There was a guy on Radio Hants after the game - Jamie, I think his name was - who absolutely hit the nail on the head. This season is about supporting the team, getting behind the young players, not criticising them when they fail (as they will at times), watching them improve (which, on the basis of yesterday they surely will), and ensuring the team remains in the CCC ready for next year when they will have a year's experience under their belts. This has to be a long term plan; we are skint, and the situation maybe worse than we imagine, so we have to support JP and the team to the hilt. Indeed, I thought the support yesterday was spot on, particularly at the end when in the past the reaction might have been negative (anybody hear the Everton fans at the end of their game against Blackburn?!).

All in all, a much more heartening display than I have seen from a Saints side for a long time and one which, in the context of the club's current position, gives much hope for the future.

i think its a case of too many kids at the same time, yes i know we have no choice etc etc but look at todays bench, nothing to call on if needed, where were BWP and Dyer for example? I like the look of spiderman and at times Gillet but having them both in the engine room together is light weight. We need an older head to sit in the middle of the park and kick the kids around him up the arse from time to time.

That said, we played some good stuff at times in the first half and will we see a better team, man for man down here than Brum? They hardly outplayed us.

I heartily concur. I don't think I have been as enthused about a Saints performance as I was yesterday; not because we won, as clearly we didn't, but because every young man in red and white gave his all in a display of impressive football, and because every Saints player played for the team and put in maximum effort. When was the last time we were able to say these things?

There was a guy on Radio Hants after the game - Jamie, I think his name was - who absolutely hit the nail on the head. This season is about supporting the team, getting behind the young players, not criticising them when they fail (as they will at times), watching them improve (which, on the basis of yesterday they surely will), and ensuring the team remains in the CCC ready for next year when they will have a year's experience under their belts. This has to be a long term plan; we are skint, and the situation maybe worse than we imagine, so we have to support JP and the team to the hilt. Indeed, I thought the support yesterday was spot on, particularly at the end when in the past the reaction might have been negative (anybody hear the Everton fans at the end of their game against Blackburn?!).

All in all, a much more heartening display than I have seen from a Saints side for a long time and one which, in the context of the club's current position, gives much hope for the future.

Happy to support the youngsters but not sure why I should make allowances for them.

If they are not good enough they should not be in the side. People can't use the `good enough they are old enough' line then ask fans to forgive the youth if they are actually not good enough.

Its not just about youth though, overall I don't think there is enough quality in the squad young or old.

Edited by Chez

Do you want to go through the season playing with one striker?

Yes, I think a 4 3 3 formation with two wingers and one orthodox striker will work fine for us.

I also believe that if there is room to change a game by throwing on another striker but that this was not possible due to Dyer and BWP not performing last week and Killer not being fully fit.

I agree with all those who are saying it's a pleasure to see some talented youngsters displaying such effort for the side and clearly they like to play attractive football.

One or two of them have the potential to be very good players.

However, I am still deeply concerned about the future of the club.

Both league games have followed exactly the same pattern with us surprising teams for half an hour or so and then getting completely done over for virtually the rest of the match.

Add to that the fact that the only player we are waiting on returning to the first 11 looks set to be sold (assuming Euell, Skacel and Thomas have been jetisoned) and suddenly the picture looks quite bleak. As illustrated yesterday, we have no depth when compared to some other squads (admittedly Birmingham are in a better position than just about everyone else). I agree that it was odd that BWP or Dyer weren't on the bench, but let's not elevate them into superstars in their absence. Both are average Championship players - no more.

Whilst there are some positives (not least the fact that our matches should be rather entertaining this season, we play nice football and have some skillful players) yesterday highlighted just how desperate the need for investment is.

This is not an attempt at criticising anyone, it is purely the state of affairs IMO.

Roll On Friday (whichever one it turns out to be!).

damm, that makes me wrong too:(

That makes me wrong as well. I'd have been better off not buying a ticket and listening to the armchair oracle instead.

I'm guessing that's the real reason Chelsea and Arsenal didn't buy him. They were all ready to splash the cash, then when call from the AO and it was all off.

Nick, just accept that there is an element on here whose prejudice against Davis is such that they are incapable of assessing his performance with any level of objectivity. He did nothing wrong today and could have done nothing about the two goals. Others must be held responsible for those. Davis is, at the moment, the best keeper that we have but it is depressing that people still feel the need to keep sniping at him because he is not Richard Wright.
I know but after all these years I still am surprised at how bigoted some are.

I watched the highlights this morning and watched to check my assessment of the 2nd goal was correct and am satisfied that KD had no chance as Bents header bounced so high, it was a fluke.

If fans had seen Barts performance at Exeter it was discocerting that such a promising keeper has become so nervous, I hope he regains his confidence and is pushing KD again for 1 st spot.

Hmm, losing again is disappointing, but to be fair we were up against what will be one of the league's top teams this season IMO. If we were still in the Prem, we wouldn't expect to beat the top teams, so why should we now?

We have fallen in stature, and we need to accept it and not get upset at defeats like this. This is still a very new and young Saints side, and they haven't shipped 5 to an average Championship side yet (like the old pros did a few times last season), so I'm still behind them and the boss man!!

Come on Saints!!

Positives

The best up-tempo, passing, football-to-feet, performance I have seen from a Saints side in about 3 years.

Schneiderlin - superb

Gillett, McGoldrick, Thompson when he came on, showed real promise

Great to have Killer back

Birmingham still have a squad made up of Premiership quality players, we'll play lesser teams than them this year, and get better reward

Things to learn from

Get the tactics right up front - stilll haven't found that magic formula to get the most of our front players

Clearly ran out of energy, need to pace things

Looked shaky at the back at times - losing Davies is something we cannot afford imo

Somewhat naive at times - over passing, when simpler moves would be better

All in all, I enjoyed watching them, even though gutted by the results. Can't say I've said that much over the last few years. Need to ensure we have a bit of steel to match the artistry (a la WBA last year), but if we can do that we'll survive. We're likely not going to get much further than mid-table, but this can still be a season of promise.

Positives

The best up-tempo, passing, football-to-feet, performance I have seen from a Saints side in about 3 years.

Schneiderlin - superb

Gillett, McGoldrick, Thompson when he came on, showed real promise

Great to have Killer back

Birmingham still have a squad made up of Premiership quality players, we'll play lesser teams than them this year, and get better reward

Things to learn from

Get the tactics right up front - stilll haven't found that magic formula to get the most of our front players

Clearly ran out of energy, need to pace things

Looked shaky at the back at times - losing Davies is something we cannot afford imo

Somewhat naive at times - over passing, when simpler moves would be better

All in all, I enjoyed watching them, even though gutted by the results. Can't say I've said that much over the last few years. Need to ensure we have a bit of steel to match the artistry (a la WBA last year), but if we can do that we'll survive. We're likely not going to get much further than mid-table, but this can still be a season of promise.

Pretty much exactly what I was about to write. The high-tempo game we're trying to play requires a supreme level of fitness and stamina, which yesterday showed we clearly haven't got yet, and we haven't really had it since the beginning of the end of Strachan's term as manager. It's going to take time to get that fitness level up to play this sort of tempo for 90 minutes, and you could clearly see we were knackered after about an hour and were looking to just hold on for the rest of the game. Given Birmingham's ridiculous array of strikers, that was always going to be unlikely.

A summary of my feelings after the game: disappointed but encouraged.

Had George Burley sent a team out against a good Birmingham side with no strikers on the bench and persisted in 1 up front, when we're one down with 10 mins to play, the stick he would be getting on here would be relentless. Pretty football first half, but second we had no plan B and it was men against boys. Last 10 Mins, we needed to give it a go, but seemed to just drift towards a defeat, it may not have worked, but we needed something changing. Macleish changed the game, JP showed GB like traits in being unable to change or modify his plan A, and that is worrying.

Had George Burley sent a team out against a good Birmingham side with no strikers on the bench and persisted in 1 up front, when we're one down with 10 mins to play, the stick he would be getting on here would be relentless. Pretty football first half, but second we had no plan B and it was men against boys. Last 10 Mins, we needed to give it a go, but seemed to just drift towards a defeat, it may not have worked, but we needed something changing. Macleish changed the game, JP showed GB like traits in being unable to change or modify his plan A, and that is worrying.

JP stated why he didn't have another striker on the bench in his post-match interview. In hindsight, he may have kept John on the pitch and gone with him and McGoldrick up front, rather than keeping the same formation. I was surprised Wright-Phillips or Dyer weren't at least on the bench, but JP also stated that he wasn't happy with their effort/performances in the last week or so.

Hopefully they'll take those comments and put the effort in to prove they're worth a place in their team.

Agreed.

It seems as though we will play 4-2-1-2-1 no matter what the situation.

Bit odd.

For what it's worth, my ratings of the team yesterday

Davis - 6 - A couple of decent saves but didn't look blameless for their winner & still uncertain on when to come for the ball

James - 7 - did okay against a good winger, got skinned a couple of times early on but seemed to learn how to deal with him, and looks very good on the ball & going forward

Surman -7 - looked fairly solid - playing fullback has toughened him up & got forward well

Perry & Svensson - 5 - both looked vulnerable against the pace & physicality of Brum's big strikers. They need to play alternating games alongside Wotton or pwerhaps Lancashire

Schneiderlin & Gillett - 7 - I thought both competed well and used the ball well in midfield, but both occasionally overelaborated & gave the ball away, and both tired by the end - but would you really swap them for Safri & Viafara?

Holmes - 6 - glimpses of what he might be capable of, but is there any other sort of left-winger other than a frustrating one?

Lallana - 7.5 - linked the play well & worked hard all afternoon

McGoldrick - first half - 8 - looked the best player on the pitch, but only a 5 for the second half, back to drifting out of the game and looking like he didn't believe he should be out there

John - 6 - held the ball up well & worked hard (for him) but missed the best chance of the game & tired badly

Thomson - 6 -right-wingers can be just as frustrating. Looks a bright prospect, but never once looked up before crossing

Overall, I'd give them a 6.5 for a brave effort & I still believe they'll do alright this season

For what it's worth, my ratings of the team yesterday

Davis - 6 - A couple of decent saves but didn't look blameless for their winner & still uncertain on when to come for the ball

James - 7 - did okay against a good winger, got skinned a couple of times early on but seemed to learn how to deal with him, and looks very good on the ball & going forward

Surman -7 - looked fairly solid - playing fullback has toughened him up & got forward well

Perry & Svensson - 5 - both looked vulnerable against the pace & physicality of Brum's big strikers. They need to play alternating games alongside Wotton or pwerhaps Lancashire

Schneiderlin & Gillett - 7 - I thought both competed well and used the ball well in midfield, but both occasionally overelaborated & gave the ball away, and both tired by the end - but would you really swap them for Safri & Viafara?

Holmes - 6 - glimpses of what he might be capable of, but is there any other sort of left-winger other than a frustrating one?

Lallana - 7.5 - linked the play well & worked hard all afternoon

McGoldrick - first half - 8 - looked the best player on the pitch, but only a 5 for the second half, back to drifting out of the game and looking like he didn't believe he should be out there

John - 6 - held the ball up well & worked hard (for him) but missed the best chance of the game & tired badly

Thomson - 6 -right-wingers can be just as frustrating. Looks a bright prospect, but never once looked up before crossing

Overall, I'd give them a 6.5 for a brave effort & I still believe they'll do alright this season

sorry mate but which game were you watching..killer....5!!!! at least a 7 imo

Just back after a 500-mile round trip to see my first game this year, and I was really encouraged by the performance. I saw 7 home games last season, plus the Plymouth away game, and this was so promising compared with them. Yes, we faded, but the players were knackered at the end. Don't forget this was much of last year's reserve team playing Birmingham, fresh from the Premier League, and their power pulled them through at the end. In my opinion, this team will improve to a position way beyond the Saints team of last year, if only because there was a lot of understanding between the players, and at least they look like a team who know where each player belongs. I must disagree with Chez, concerning McGoldrick. He was playing in front of us first half, and looked like a good player to me. He put in a couple of decent crosses, including one for the effort that Gillett had saved, and knew exactly what he was doing. Yes, he did appear to fade 2nd half, but then so did the whole side. I'm looking forward to my next game, and it's a long time since I felt that!

Cant Believe some of the negativity in this thread!!!

Unbelievable really, some I'm from those who weren't at the game!

Anyway the game

Dissapointing but by no means dissapointed. If Birmingham are the best the championship have to offer we will be fine.

We are playing some exceptional football at times, so much better than last year.

Just back in the Midlands now (after going to a mates birthday in Winchester) and the negativity is staggering. We where celebrating watching some of the best football we had seen for years. The first half was on of the best I have seen any Saints team play and was worth the money alone.

We will be fine this season. I've no doubt about it. We made Birmingham look ordinary, and that is superb. I was expecting us to get stuffed and it didn't happen.

Bring on Derby!