Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

I am willing to go along with that, actually.

But the fact remains, they aint good enough, havent got enough experience, and are stuck with a single system of play.

How is it a "fact" that they are not good enough? They just gave the side with probably the strongest squad in the division one tough game. For the first 15 minutes McLeish must have been a pretty worried man as his side could not get close enough to wrestle the possession.

The margin between winning, drawing and losing are very fine. You only have to look at the 2 scrappy goals (in my view anyway) Brum scored today and Stern's header which Taylor would not have got near had it been a yard further to the left of the near post.

Guest Hacienda
Because even though I havent seen them this season, I seem to have a better feeling for where the team is than some of those who have.

You've not got a scooby and it shows.

The nicname of Thrush that you've been given is certainly apt.

How is it a "fact" that they are not good enough? They just gave the side with probably the strongest squad in the division one tough game. For the first 15 minutes McLeish must have been a pretty worried man as his side could not get close enough to wrestle the possession.

The margin between winning, drawing and losing are very fine. You only have to look at the 2 scrappy goals (in my view anyway) Brum scored today and Stern's header which Taylor would not have got near had it been a yard further to the left of the near post.

Difference between McLeish and Poortvillet : McLeish had the vision, ideas and a bench of players to change things around when he needed to.

here's some stats, fairly even overall...

Possession

48% 52%

Shots on target

4 5

Shots off target

6 0

Corners

5 3

Fouls

13 8

although I think we will be OK...I also think pointing out statistics like this is exactly what people did when burying their heads in the sand about how poor we were last year under burley...I remember caertain posters making out all was OK as we only lost 5 in what ever..(but not won any)..

stats can tell any tale really

Guest Hacienda
remember Alpine thinks Scneiderlin is too lightweight -personally, having seen him play 4 times now I don't see it, is it just me?

I've seen him 4 times as well and think he looks the business.

I do think he needs Wotton in alongside him though.

Fantastic first half. Second half Birmingham played more direct and with pace on the break. The first goal was a free kick into the box and a scramble, the second one Kelvin went walkabout, the ball bounced over him headed onto the bar by Svennson and Philips from 6 inches.

We were passing but not being as patient in the second half and hitting longer passes giving the ball back to Birmingham. They then counterattacked at pace. Although no goals came from them.

We need to keep the passing going and forget the longer balls. we need to pick up the pace when we are under pressure. John ran out of puff and the ball was being won off him time after time.

Birmingham are probably the most potent team in the CCC, they caused us problems at times but we were never outplayed.

Because even though I havent seen them this season, I seem to have a better feeling for where the team is than some of those who have.

(psssst, btw, the "your opinion is invalid because you havent seen the team" dig is wearing a bit thin, since I seem to have a better idea how the games will end than some of those who go, buy the programme, drink the beer, eats the pies, pee in the loo, etc...)

Errrr heeellooooooo.... judging by your opinions and those at the other end of the spectrum from 'those who were there', I tend to think that this, to be blunt, is utter horse shyte.... :)

P.S. How high is that mountain that you are on... is the air quality poor....??

We are going a bit overboard on this.Both Brums goals were scrappy and fortunate.

I listened to Radio Hants and was disappointed with Armstrongs assessment. He said Brum were poor in the first half but outplayed us in the second.Why is it always with the media the oppostion play bad when we dominate and when the opposition run the game it is down to them being a superior team.

Fans moaned about lack of experience b ut it was our most experienced player that cost us Stern should have buried the header to make itr 2-0 and we would have got something from the game.

How on earth, somebody who never saw the match can so negatively predict that 'it will all be over by christmas' is plain stupidity imho....

More people on here should remember that 'seeing is believing' prior to commenting on something which they evidently have not seen.

we have been here before with attendance arguement...it is the same as someone like me saying we will be fine after seeing the grand total of f-all so far this year..

(psssst, btw, the "your opinion is invalid because you havent seen the team" dig is wearing a bit thin, since I seem to have a better idea how the games will end than some of those who go, buy the programme, drink the beer, eats the pies, pee in the loo, etc...)

What nonsense. The only person who would possibly think that is yourself. Your judgement is better on players you have never seen play! Now I've heard everything.

Guest Hacienda
we must be wrong - Alpine knows best and is more realistic!

I think Thrush's supervisionary powers are so superior to those of us who have actually seen him that he must be right.

Thrush is right about everything.

Biggest disappointment of the day was the rubbish support the saints fan gave the boys.

Chapel was empty and the brum fans out sang the rest. Lets get behind them as they gave a good performance against the strongest team in the league. coyr

Can I just ask where you were sat? Only from where I was in the Chapel, I only heard the Brum fans when they scored their second (ie after 80 minutes).

I thought the crowd was quiet all round.

Difference between McLeish and Poortvillet : McLeish had the vision, ideas and a bench of players to change things around when he needed to.

Surely this is not the beginning of the 'lets slaughter the manager for lack of tactical awareness' period. After only two games to - my, my - almost Burleyesque type posting..!!

That's ******.

The difference was McLeish had Kevin Phillips, Cameron Jerome and Marcus Bent to bring off the bench

Guest Hacienda
we have been here before with attendance arguement...it is the same as someone like me saying we will be fine after seeing the grand total of f-all so far this year..

Slightly different this season though Jamie as those of us that have seen them, whilst we realise there are isues to be addressed, are chuffed with what we've seen.

Well First half was a good one for us. Out played Birmingham and could have no complaints at going in 1-0 up. In fact, it should have been more.

Based on the 2nd half performance, we deserved to lose, not because Birmingham played well, but we were poor. No movement, players were knackered, and with one up top, chasing a game with 10 minutes to go isnt the way!

In a way, i think Phillips has done us a favour. If he hadn't of scored, Svennson would have been sent off for Handball.

Gutted we didn't get anything from today's game.

First half we were by far the better team, playing some top draw one-touch football, with lots of movement too. Fully deserved our lead at half-time.

Second half though, Birmingham came out the blocks flying, clearly on the end of a half-time rollocking from McLeish. We struggled to deal with their strikers as the game went on and as our boys tired, but when a team in this division are able to bring on Jerome, Phillips and Bent, then you know you're in for a tough afternoon. Their squad depth and the quality thoroughout the side will be the reason why they go up automatically IMO.

All in all, very dissappointed to come away with nothing, and very frustrating that we are yet to get a point this season. I can't really think of a tougher start to the season in truth but so long as the players keep going as they are, the first points won't be too far away.

I just hope that the team can take the positives from today, and there were plenty. With a bit of luck, we may just be able to go to Derby and sneak the 3 points. Now that would be sweet!

Keep the faith guys.

Just back from the game.

in spite of the result i am still very optimistic that we can improve on last season, you have to put things into perspective and remember that birmingham are probably the best side in the league and we dominated them in the first half, second half was more even both sides having great chances (notably SJ in the second half, should of scored).

Central defence was solid, and we were very good in midfield playing on the floor and winning the ball on the floor, however everyh high ball in midfield we lost out on, resulting in the wide players getting the ball and crossing in, which leads me onto the full backs. as most have said on here Drew and Lloyd James are good going forward but are most definatly weak defensively, beaten to easily, too slow, often being caught out of position on many a occasion. If we are to improve then this is where it has to start, two good experienced loans at full back to cut out the crosses at all cost.

Mcgoldrick wasnt effective on the wing, was slightly better upfront but wasnt on his game today which was a shame.

Thomson came on and as soon as he touched the ball simply turned and bolted at the left back and it really worried them, why he didnt start i dont know but that right attacking midfield should be his position, very quick.

Mentions go out to Stern's hold up play, Gillet and Spidermans link up play and defensive work covering a lot of ground, Perrys goal, was impressed by Holmes too some good shots but Lallana was the MOTM for me. He is quick, inte;lligent, great touch and vision and can really cause the centrebacks problems with his movement between defence and full backs and midfield. Keep him fit and we will score.

Birmingham played better than as in the 2nd half but it was definitely not as bad as you suggest.

Birmingham had the measure of us in the second half, men against boys n all that.

Very dissapointed after an exciting 1st half, our inexperience got the better of us. Anybody who says that we'll win more than we'll lose needs a reality check, playing pretty football doesn't always win matches (as seen today).

fantastic performance, first half we played brum off the pitch, actually enjoyed watching Saints play, what the f*ck have I been watching for the last 3/4 years?? it certainly wasn't football. Alpine just shut the f*ck up you spastic, at the fulltime whistle not one person booed, do you know why?? cos everyone was pleased with how we played, f*ck winning 1-0 and sitting there for 90 minutes thinking about whats for dinner, I actually enjoyed it and the kids looked like they cared.

Please please don't change it jan, don't listen to the negative people who don't like watching football just like looking at the table, today was fun, well done jan.

to be fair...he was right about burley all along despite being told he knew f-all etc
Ahh the Scottish international manager.Such a step down being appointed by professionals from CCC to International football.

if Alpine sends out enough predictions some will be right sooner or later.

The argument was nothing to do with attendances at all. It was to do with making fool arsed negative comments such as 'it will all be over by christmas', after two (difficult) games, yet the poster had seen neither....!!!!

If you call yourself a fan, with an attitude and outlook like that - why bother - go and support a 'glory team' elsewhere.

Slightly different this season though Jamie as those of us that have seen them, whilst we realise there are isues to be addressed, are chuffed with what we've seen.

i know what you are saying..but how long will people be chuffed with 2-1 defeats for..? I am happy at the mo and expect nothing different to what we have so far but I can see why people are slightly worried..

I can also see the comparison with last year...so so many told myself and alpine that burley was doing a grand job and we should be "happy" and "hat did we expect" and posted stats like what has happened here..yet burley was crud..

I do not share alps' view here but after last year will not slate him for it as who the feck knows what will happen..a

ALL i do know is that this is a message board for all opinions not those who were at the game..

Alpine is a joke poster. How someone can seriously suggest that their opinions are more valid than people who actually attended the game. Amazing.

That applies to lots of posters.

If you can't be ****ed to turn up, then your opinions on the match should be considered irrelevant

Ahh the Scottish international manager.Such a step down being appointed by professionals from CCC to International football.

if Alpine sends out enough predictions some will be right sooner or later.

im not going to get into this..but the very fact that so many think pearson did a good job after finishing one place above relegation on the last day and only winning 3 games shows that burley was an embarrassment before he left....I pity scotland..

enough of that though

I'm sorry Alpine but do you actually want our team to succeed??

Almost every post you put is either negative of the team, the management or the directors

Sometimes i really seriously wonder if you just want Saints to go to the wall so you can come on here and tell everyone I TOLD YOU SO.

What he says is true. This club, let alone team, is a bloody joke and rotten to the core. Until that stark fact is accepted then nothing will change. Keep deluding yourselves if you wish but don't expect everyone to accept it. No one likes it but you cannot change the reality of the situation. The reason the posts are negative are because the club is in free fall- fact!!

to be fair...he was right about burley all along despite being told he knew f-all etc

Appears that the cavalry have arrived. Could argue all night about Burley - but its done, dusted and the doors closed.

Let's not crucify the new guys after only two games eh - give them a fair chance for gods sake. By all accounts on here - most people are pretty upbeat about the games so far - so lets not kick off by shouting about managerial tactics just yet heh...!!!

Edited by Micky

What he says is true. This club, let alone team, is a bloody joke and rotten to the core. Until that stark fact is accepted then nothing will change. Keep deluding yourselves if you wish but don't expect everyone to accept it. No one likes it but you cannot change the reality of the situation. The reason the posts are negative are because the club is in free fall- fact!!
absolute sh8t, did you go today??? nothing rotten about that, we played football

I knew I shouldn't of come on here, idiots everywhere.

Appears that the cavalry have arrived. Could argue all night about Burley - but its done, dusted and the doors closed.

Let's not crucify the new guys after only two games eh - give them a fair chance for gods sake. By all accounts on here - most people are pretty upbeat about the games so far - so lets not kick off by *****ing about managerial tactics just yet heh...!!!

what are you on about?

where the hell have I had a pop at the new guys?

dont start judging my view on what you think i think?

ALL i am saying is that this board should be for all opinions..regardless if you like it or not..

I am willing to go along with that, actually.

But the fact remains, they aint good enough, havent got enough experience, and are stuck with a single system of play.

How the hell do you come up with a comment using the word fact, having not seen a single minute of play in any of the friendlies, or the three competitive matches.

Until you actually see what the hell you are waffleing on about, I suggest you stop making such an obvious spectacle, as it is obvious you haven't a clue what is happening on the pitch and how the team is playing.

The reason the posts are negative are because the club is in free fall- fact!!

More supposition being thrown around as fact.

If you think we're in freefall, fine, but stop trying to drag others into it claiming that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

Just go back through this thread and read the opinions of those who went today. I've never seen such reports after a defeat, so I'll be damned if someone wants to try and tell me I'm deluded, just because I have some belief.

Get some respect for other peoples opinions.

There is no need to panic at all. Birmingham have by a distance the best squad in the division, they have the financial clout still with parachute payments etc and have a team used to competing against the best of the Premiership (though not very well!). I think they will win this league with something to spare this season, there are goals throughout the side and on the bench -McSheffrey, McFadden, Jerome, Phillips, Bent etc etc. I fully expected us to lose this one, to be honest, just because player for player they have a better side than us.

It is important not to get hyperbolic (everything in the press, Sky, radio is either black or white, rarely grey), and be realistic. We are not going to be challengers this season, this season is about getting ourselves sorted out financially and having a season of 'midtable mediocrity'.

The thing that would worry me is if the trend of cocneding 2 goals a game continues, I'll accept the first two game, but will be worried if it continues. We have to get a lot meaner at the back, I want to hear more 'nils' when our scores are read out (and not for us).

The other thing that disappoints me is the crowd. If our numbers are continually below 20,000, the fans will have to realise that we are not doing our bit to help our club get back on its feet. Obviosuly there are people who can't go every week, I can almost never go due to where I live and the fact I work on Saturdays, but if we can't get 25,000 for the first game of the season at home you have to worry. Liking or disliking Rupert Lowe has nothing (in my view) to do with going to a match or not.

Alan the fans expectations have been far too high for a few seasons.I felt the fans there today were unioted and gave the team a chance and there was little criticism. We were playing a strong side who to most clubs would lose to in this league.

Brum pushed us back second half but they hardly have us campoed in our box.The lack of defensive muscle is a worry but they were given a good game today and in the future we will win games like today.

Ooooohhh! He said FACT, it must be true now.....