Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

I pray to God someone is going to come in and rescue this club from Lowe and Wilde soon.......

I am definitely More in the anti-lowe camp than not, but I don't suppose there's much more lowe can do in the circumstances, we simply don't have the money to get in new players or even keep the ones we've got, we are forced to sell any half decent players. I really don't see us staying in this league very easily.

I'm sorry Alpine but do you actually want our team to succeed??

Almost every post you put is either negative of the team, the management or the directors

Sometimes i really seriously wonder if you just want Saints to go to the wall so you can come on here and tell everyone I TOLD YOU SO.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Having just got in from the match it was, as the old cliché goes, a game of two halves. We should have added to our one goal in the first half as it was obvious that Birmingham would rearrange in the second. Crap defending gave them their first goal and a torrent of abuse to KP gave him all the incentive he needed to poach from a yard out.

Taking John off for Jake Thomson and allowing McGoldrick to hold the line up front on his own was just plain wrong. We needed a level-headed senior figure up there and Poortvliet should have moved McGoldrick in from the wing to form a pairing with John up front rather than what we saw.

If we continue to play like we did in the first half then we will cause a lot of teams a lot of trouble. What we need is to make that superiority count with more goals being scored instead of trying to hold onto a single goal lead against a bigger and stronger team.

Two very narrow defeats to two good teams. Hopefully the team will soon learn how to grind draws out of these sort of matches. Need to make sure we pick up maximum points from the poorer teams in the league.

would you say were one of the poorer teams?

Just got back. We played really well first half but as with previous games we are creating chances but not converting them. Defence looked OK and the midfield were very industrious. Surman got caught out of position a few times which was concerning. It made a nice change from the dross I had to watch last season. Players were hungry and energetic.

Second half we dipped a bit and the early Brum goal seemed to take the wind out of our sails. Starting hitting more long high balls which we are just not big enough up front or in the midfield to win. Keep it on the deck and we will outplay most teams.

Lucky with a few offside calls but whilst its obvious that we lack experience (McGoldrick's head was visibly down after the second goal) and we are a team that look a little lightweight, what really concerns me is Kelvin. He just doesnt command the box, his failure to come out claim the ball contributed to the goals. If only he came out more and claimed the ball more we wouldn't have half the problems at the back.

Overall, I take the first half as a positive to build on and perhaps with a few older, wiser heads reintegrated we could be OK. Certainly nothing to panic about right now and great to see Killer back at St Marys.

I am definitely More in the anti-lowe camp than not, but I don't suppose there's much more lowe can do in the circumstances, we simply don't have the money to get in new players or even keep the ones we've got, we are forced to sell any half decent players. I really don't see us staying in this league very easily.

He is the Chairman of the football club!!

If you don't think there is anything more that he could be doing - with regards to increasing turnover, and or bringing in investment - then you really need to brush up on the roles and responsibilities of company chairmen / women!!!

I would go so far as to say that it is his absolute number 1 priority / duty to ensure that the club / company is fiscally viable. If he cannot do that then he should step down and let someone else take over the reigns.

Oh, and where is he whilst the company crumbles under his feet?? That's right, hunting and fishing in Canada!!

Having just got in from the match it was, as the old cliché goes, a game of two halves. We should have added to our one goal in the first half as it was obvious that Birmingham would rearrange in the second. Crap defending gave them their first goal and a torrent of abuse to KP gave him all the incentive he needed to poach from a yard out.

Taking John off for Jake Thomson and allowing McGoldrick to hold the line up front on his own was just plain wrong. We needed a level-headed senior figure up there and Poortvliet should have moved McGoldrick in from the wing to form a pairing with John up front rather than what we saw.

If we continue to play like we did in the first half then we will cause a lot of teams a lot of trouble. What we need is to make that superiority count with more goals being scored instead of trying to hold onto a single goal lead against a bigger and stronger team.

Totally agree.

I've come away thinking we are already in relegation trouble.

We got completely muscled out of the game in the 2nd half

Almost every post you put is either negative of the team, the management or the directors

Sometimes i really seriously wonder if you just want Saints to go to the wall so you can come on here and tell everyone I TOLD YOU SO.

Like me he's just a realist that's all. If anyone believes this side is going anywhere but down by selling it's best players and no investment is fooling themselves.

2 narrow defeats against teams expected to do well.

The team still needs to gel.

I am not disappointed just yet, its not like we got thrashed 4.0

COYR

OH good god, please do not start "the team needs to gel". granted, I didn't get to listen to today's game (friends called up & I couldn't be anti-social by listening to a game on the computer), but we have been hearing that for the last 3 seasons, how long does it take for a team to gel?

as for my reaction to the result, I am kinda apathetic, after everything that happened at the club during the Summer I expected a long season ahead for Saints, with survival in the CCC being seen as an achievement. I tried to convince myself, and still hope that I am wrong, and I might be (but probably not). so a 1 - 2 loss vs Brum is not a massive surprise.

I am glad to hear that you are getting to watch some attractive football, unfortunately I cant get to SMS, but I would like to watch Saints in the Prem (preferably in the pub)

I know we are skint, I have known that all my life. But in Lowes "premiership day's" his cheap options (financially prudent) meant that we flirted with relegation most years, Granted he did bring in one great manager, but even WGS was a cheap option at the time.

I fear that Now Lowe is using cheap CCC options that we will flirt with relegation to league 1 and not push our way back into the top flight. I could go on but I'll leave it there.

I still hope I am wrong

COYR

Don't be sorry - an "I told you so" is exactly what he wants. Just ignore him if you can, he lives of the attention!

When saints lose - last thing you need to do is add to the woe by reading any of AS's posts

He is the Chairman of the football club!!

If you don't think there is anything more that he could be doing - with regards to increasing turnover, and or bringing in investment - then you really need to brush up on the roles and responsibilities of company chairmen / women!!!

I would go so far as to say that it is his absolute number 1 priority / duty to ensure that the club / company is fiscally viable. If he cannot do that then he should step down and let someone else take over the reigns.

Oh, and where is he whilst the company crumbles under his feet?? That's right, hunting and fishing in Canada!!

but I don't suppose there's much more lowe can do in the circumstances

that part was a rhetorical not a statement of fact

Like me he's just a realist that's all. If anyone believes this side is going anywhere but down by selling it's best players and no investment is fooling themselves.

I dont mind realism and we may well struggle this season but SOME posters on here almost appear to get some sort of perverse pleasure out of us losing.....ITS FUNNY THESE SAME POSTERS ARE NOT SO VOCIFEROUS WHEN WE WIN!!!

Balance!!!!

Just back from the game.

Upside

Make no mistake about it, this Saints team will win more than they lose this season.

Good attacking football, good passing, good recovering when the ball is lost.

This team wants to play for Southampton. Some of their football was a joy to watch.

Suddenly we are getting our moneys worth.

We made a good Birminham side look very ordinary for long periods of the game.

We were the better side in the first half.

I thought the second half was about even

Downside

We lost!

but I don't suppose there's much more lowe can do in the circumstances

that part was a rhetorical not a statement of fact

So you don't think there is anything he can do with the pricing policy, to attract new users?

Maybe incentives for returning users?

All things that he COULD do to increase the revenue of the club / company....

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the rhetoric....

Just back from the game.

Upside

Make no mistake about it, this Saints team will win more than they lose this season.

This team wants to play for Southampton. Some of their football was a joy to watch.

Downside

We lost!

We were totally second best in the 2nd half

Not suprised at all.

Two tough games to start with and at best I thought we'd get a draw today.

And you just knew Phillips would get the winner. Just wish I'd had the foresight to have some money on it.

Never mind. Another narrow defeat to Derby next week but then things will start to pick up I think.

Just back from the game.

Upside

Downside

We lost!

Totally agree. How about all the doom merchants actually attend the games and then give their own opinions! I actually went to the game and I am certain we will not be relegated this season. The first half was the best I have seen from saints side since relegation. The second half we didn't play as well but certainly not terribly. If Stern John had scored that header to put us 2 up we would have won the game. Sad not to win but cheered by the performance.

I dont mind realism and we may well struggle this season but SOME posters on here almost appear to get some sort of perverse pleasure out of us losing.....ITS FUNNY THESE SAME POSTERS ARE NOT SO VOCIFEROUS WHEN WE WIN!!!

Balance!!!!

Well, for my part, I am gutted but not surprised and am already hitting a JD, I fear many bottles will be consumed this season.

Perhaps many of us are not so vociferous when we win because it does not happen that often, and when WE do, it is very rarely followed up by a run of wins.

I don't think many true winners take any positives out of loosing.

We'll outplay a lot of teams if we play like that every game but our youth worked against us in the end. James and Gillett in particular were knackered at the end.

Davis 7 - good first half... a bit flappy in the 2nd

James 6 - Started very well and got increasingly tired. By 80 mins was out on his feet

Surman 7 - Excellent going forward, not too bad at the back

Perry 7 - Got a goal, did simple things well

Svensson 7 - Will only get better and he was pretty good anyway

Gillett 7 - Excellent 1st half but tired and began misplacing passes

Schneiderlin 8 - Excellent touch, would benefit from playing alongside Wotton

Lallana 7 - Flitten in and out all game - promising though

McGoldrick 6 - 1st touch poor, not a winger, not a line leading striker.

Holmes 3 - Good for 5 minutes doesn;t look fit

John 5 - Pudding

Thomson 6 - Lively with no end product.

Birmingham will win the league... just look at the squad - it's like WBA last year... 2 Scottish internationals up front (McFadden and O'Connor) to start with England U21 (Jerome), Ex-England ex-Golden Boot Winner (Phillips) and experienced Premiership Striker (Bent). We can't compete against that. We have too many youngsters on the team and it really showed. I can see us struggling to close a game out even if we're 2-0 up and have bossed it for 80 minutes.

Also, if Skacel is fit - what possible sense does it make to not play him and play Holmes. Not picking on Holmes here (even though he was poor) but you get my drift.

Guest Hacienda
Totally agree. How about all the doom merchants actually attend the games and then give their own opinions! I actually went to the game and I am certain we will not be relegated this season. The first half was the best I have seen from saints side since relegation. The second half we didn't play as well but certainly not terribly. If Stern John had scored that header to put us 2 up we would have won the game. Sad not to win but cheered by the performance.

That's just how I felt last Saturday

To be honest, I don't put a timescale on it... I just expect to see some consistent improvement over the course of the season. I always said during pre-season, that this year would be a tough one and that I'd settle for mid-table obscurity... two games in and nothing changes that... i shaln't be amking any judgements until at least 10 games in and even then, it won't be a finite judgment, more of a rolling judgement on our progress to date.

Word for word my thoughts on this season. This is a big change for the club and it will take time. So long as we improve, learn and gain experience I'll be happy. I'd settle now for a mid-table finish, so long as next season we are stronger, wiser and more experienced.

I don't think many true winners take any positives out of loosing.

You ask any professional athlete or sportsman, and they'll tell you that they always look at the positives AND negatives, whether they win OR lose. That's the only way to improve. Saints will be no different. Jan will highlight what they did well and ensure they keep doing it, but also look to work on the things we don't do well.

Getting back in on Monday and being miserable all week won't help anyone. Well, it might help some of you, but thankfully none of you work at the club (I assume!).

We'll outplay a lot of teams if we play like that every game but our youth worked against us in the end. James and Gillett in particular were knackered at the end.

Davis 7 - good first half... a bit flappy in the 2nd

James 6 - Started very well and got increasingly tired. By 80 mins was out on his feet

Surman 7 - Excellent going forward, not too bad at the back

Perry 7 - Got a goal, did simple things well

Svensson 7 - Will only get better and he was pretty good anyway

Gillett 7 - Excellent 1st half but tired and began misplacing passes

Schneiderlin 8 - Excellent touch, would benefit from playing alongside Wotton

Lallana 7 - Flitten in and out all game - promising though

McGoldrick 6 - 1st touch poor, not a winger, not a line leading striker.

Holmes 3 - Good for 5 minutes doesn;t look fit

John 5 - Pudding

Thomson 6 - Lively with no end product.

Birmingham will win the league... just look at the squad - it's like WBA last year... 2 Scottish internationals up front (McFadden and O'Connor) to start with England U21 (Jerome), Ex-England ex-Golden Boot Winner (Phillips) and experienced Premiership Striker (Bent). We can't compete against that. We have too many youngsters on the team and it really showed. I can see us struggling to close a game out even if we're 2-0 up and have bossed it for 80 minutes.

Also, if Skacel is fit - what possible sense does it make to not play him and play Holmes. Not picking on Holmes here (even though he was poor) but you get my drift.

I agree with some of that. The play youth policy should not be play youth and exclude older players even if they are better!

Just back from the match and as usual, it is the Jekyll and Hyde team again. First half incredible entertaining football with passing and movement off the ball, good possession and a great spirit to chase everything, which resulted in us winning most of the 50/50 balls. But as usual, where was the end result? It took a CB to score, as the front men didn't look as if they could today.

And then in the second half it was almost inevitable that a team with the quality that Birmingham have would suss out where our weaknesses were and exploit them, muscling us out of possession and beginning to look more and more dangerous as the half progressed. Sloppy defending gave them the first and heads up, the last thing we should have done if we had any sense at all is motivate Kevin Phillips by chanting insults about his wife. We had looked most dangerous when we had the two strikers up front and looked toothless when John came off. It might have been that he was tiring, but that is when we would have had options normally to bring on Rasiak or Saganowski. But when Brum knew that the striker threat was diminished, it gave them licence to push forward to get all three points

Too early to make any reasoned judgement on the first two matches, but a pattern starts to emerge that no matter how attractive the football we play, if we don't put the ball away when we are playing such decent football, we will come away without any points. And each time this happens, the side loses confidence and the chances increase that more will cease to attend matches, decreasing vital revenue.

Things might have been better had Andrew Davies played today. We are totally mad to be selling him.

You ask any professional athlete or sportsman, and they'll tell you that they always look at the positives AND negatives, whether they win OR lose. That's the only way to improve. Saints will be no different. Jan will highlight what they did well and ensure they keep doing it, but also look to work on the things we don't do well.

Getting back in on Monday and being miserable all week won't help anyone. Well, it might help some of you, but thankfully none of you work at the club (I assume!).

I was going to reply t that as well. What sort of team never takes any positives from defeat? That's almost as ludicrous a statement as upandaway saying we might as well give up and get relegated this season!

Christ alive, two games in and the vultures are circling already... hilarious.

I was at Cardiff last week, we didn't play badly. By the sound of the commentary, we didn't do so today either. Yes, we can say same old, history repeating, etc (playing well and losing, conceding last minute goal), but these boys aren't all the same who have contributed to that previously, and they need to be given a chance.

A couple of months down the line, and if the same is happening, every single game, then we need to be looking at alternative plans of action. Until then, let's just see how we go. Both games have actually been relatively good performances, despite the results - this will no doubt prompt the "good performances without points don't win the league" reaction from some, but we seriously cannot have expected an awful lot more from these two games taking the level of the opposition into account.

Anyway, the results will come, soon. Just give 'em a chance...

just back from the game, first half was fantastic from saints however the 2nd half proved our fitness. Svensson looked ok but you just know he is missing the extra yard and is not as sharp and aware. Holmes was my man of the match imo he had total control down that left wing and worked well with Surman. Lallana worked his socks off all game as did Schneiderlin and Gillett.

However, i think that we need to purchase a right back on loan as i feel James was nothing special and did struggle with the likes of Jerome and Larsson. Also, we need to buy a tall striker who will bang in goals or come close every time we put in a cross.

Indeed the other major plus was the sight of Michael Svensson on SMS pitch again.

Although, listening to Radio Solent on the way home either the majority of the text messages received from "saints" fans are either moaning IDIOTS or skates fans on the wind up!

just back from the game, first half was fantastic from saints however the 2nd half proved our fitness. Svensson looked ok but you just know he is missing the extra yard and is not as sharp and aware. Holmes was my man of the match imo he had total control down that left wing and worked well with Surman. Lallana worked his socks off all game as did Schneiderlin and Gillett.

However, i think that we need to purchase a right back on loan as i feel James was nothing special and did struggle with the likes of Jerome and Larsson. Also, we need to buy a tall striker who will bang in goals or come close every time we put in a cross.

:confused: Really? Sure you got the right player?

Just back from the game.

Upside

Downside

We lost!

Quite agree but it does however concern me that we are probably always going to let goals in (unless we get some experience in at FB) so we have to take our chances and score. Remember Keegans first spell at Newcastle? His attacking style left them vulnerable at the back, but their attacking ability outweighed this. I felt reasonably confident with Andrew Davies coming back that we had the makings of a good defence - but now. :(:mad:

I had to play myself toady so I wasn't listening to the match but a 2-1 loss with 5live saying we were unlucky is not that bad. Of course not having points after two matches is a disappointment but we all knew that was a possibility after the fixtures were released and keeping last years results in the back of our minds. The attandence figures are a disappointment as well, but would would have expected otherwise. Last year we had a playoff season behind us and this season we had a last day survival behind us. I'm sure some people didn't go because of Lowe/Wilde but I think last years results have more to do with it. But in the end there's just one thing to say: Onwards and upwards.