Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

I am glad that you realise that this board is for Opinions, Alpine expressed his. Since when has it been a crime to state the obvious, we will do well to escape relegation this season. You must also realise that things will get worse financially after 3 groups of failed directors. That you cannot expect a half decent season with the team we are putting out.

You may not like to hear the truth..but..people will not continue to pay good money to see results like we have had so far.

Actually Alpine stated that his opinion was more accurate than people who actually attended the game. Utter tosh.

My Personal ratings on Saints v Birmingham

Kelvin Davis 5.5 - Not hugely busy but won't be particularly happy with his performance tonight

Lloyd James 7 - Struggled somewhat against a very useful Owusu-Abeye but kept at it and is certainly no worse than last seasons RB's

Micheal Svensson 6.5 - Not quite the commanding performance I was looking for , I don't think he's fully fit

Chris Perry 7 - Good headed goal and a sound game , but maybe at fault for the equaliser ?

Andrew Surman 6.5 - No problem defensively but never much of a threat going forward , not really in the game at times

Morgan Schneiderlin 8 MOTM - Outstanding display , pacy , always looking to get forward , he could be the star of this team

Simon Gillett 7.5 - Great effort , nearly as good as Schneiderlin , faded a little 2nd half

Lee Holmes 7 - Hard worker and quite effective in the 1st half . Far better than we should expect for a free transfer

Adam Lallana 7.5 - Classy little player , beautiful touch , seems to have baulked up over the summer and will only get better with games

David McGoldrick 6.5 - Much better than last season but still needs to enforce himself on the game more , at least the equal to BWP

Stern John 6 - The games all about taking your chances and SJ didn't today , but still an automatic starter for me . good hold up player

Substitutions :

Jake Thompson 6 - Quick attacking winger but he needs to improve on his crossing IMO . A bright prospect for the future

Summery :

For those who weren't there we really were all over BCFC like a cheap suite in the first half and could/should had have the game won after 30 minutes . It's a terrible old cliche but it's still true ' you must take your chances when you're on top' we didn't and ultimately we paid the price - yet again ! :mad:

This young team is full of promise , raw talent and hard work , we play an attractive passing game that can be a pleasure to watch at times , but the learning curve in front of this new team is very steep and we need to get some points on the board , obviously the sooner the better .

As the second half progressed the team started to fade particularly with Stern substituted , we desperately needed some fresh attacking players in the mix but for some unexplained reason two very obvious candidates (Dyer & BWP) were missing from the bench :confused: - the manager must take responsibility for this inexplicable (and possibly fatal) omission .

Thoroughly enojoyed the game until KP put in a scrappy poachers goal. My problem is not with the team as such, its with JP frankly. We appear to be so one dimensional the opposition will find it easy to figure out how to break us down. I said at half time that I hoped we would be prepared for McLeish changing things in the 2nd half - and then Stern John gets taken off - madness.

I am also concerned that we will struggle to cope with the team that play direct to two lumbering forwards - there appear to be few options. And selling Davies is just awful...a real indication of how poor we are.

I am still much more positive than I was after seeing the team perform today. The big, big issue for the team and indeed the club IMO is how long it takes to win a game, let alone a STRING of games...if it takes too long the youngsters just may not be able to recover.

All the team were great today BUT - Gilletts physical size is very suspect in this rough league; Surman needs serious defensive coaching as he is getting caught out far too often (e.g. letting players get behind him); Perry needs to watch he doesn't get pulled out of position.

My Personal ratings on Saints v Birmingham

Kelvin Davis 5.5 - Not hugely busy but won't be particularly happy with his performance tonight

How do you come to that conclusion he did well with a sht and follow up in the first half and then a greatr save in the 2nd

of course he will..we all believe our own opinions to be the right one..

Rubbish. If I don't go to a game then I listen to the opinions of those that do. What I do not do is believe that my opinion gained from the radio is superior to those who attended. It is in fact the other way round clearly.

Rubbish. If I don't go to a game then I listen to the opinions of those that do. What I do not do is believe that my opinion gained from the radio is superior to those who attended. It is in fact the other way round clearly.

well...in my opinion you are wrong...;)

that is life im afraid

We need to stop using this system, 2 strikers works. Teams havent been playing 4-4-2 for over a hundred years because it doesnt work...ffs. One of our best chances fell to Gillett who hit it straight at Taylor, which leads me to the question; where were BWP and Nathan dyer????

How do you come to that conclusion he did well with a sht and follow up in the first half and then a greatr save in the 2nd

One hopes that it was an 'o' that was omitted and not and 'i'.... but either way I would have expected him to be able to handle either....!!! ;)

Indeed, the fan who doesn't see it with his own eyes doesn't actually know what happend or how we played and can't offer an opinion because they have nothing to base it off. Example one of the moaners said Davis played bad, Davis again made some quality saves today but they somehow forgot those, true example of looking only for the negative things and missing the actual reality of the situation. Today we deserved to lose, 1st half we were great and second we were crap. Birmingham will be getting promoted this season this year we won't. Now we have people realising that we are not going to get promoted, so many of us told people to keep their head out of the clouds and ignore the OS and see we will struggle this season. So only those who had high expectations are the ones who are disapointed. The moaners will be disapointed even if we had won 10-0.

Come on Nick, I'm prepared to say his all round game especially the distribution is measurably better, but he was a bit rash coming out for the second goal, the ball bounced over him and left his defenders in trouble.

This was one of those times if he hadn't committed himself he might have been in a position to grab the ball.

Indeed, the fan who doesn't see it with his own eyes doesn't actually know what happend or how we played and can't offer an opinion because they have nothing to base it off. Example one of the moaners said Davis played bad, Davis again made some quality saves today but they somehow forgot those, true example of looking only for the negative things and missing the actual reality of the situation. Today we deserved to lose, 1st half we were great and second we were crap. Birmingham will be getting promoted this season this year we won't. Now we have people realising that we are not going to get promoted, so many of us told people to keep their head out of the clouds and ignore the OS and see we will struggle this season. So only those who had high expectations are the ones who are disapointed. The moaners will be disapointed even if we had won 10-0.
Apart from you saying Brum deserved to win the rest is spot on.

Do you agree that Stern should have buried his chance and if he did we wuld have come away with something.

Come on Nick, I'm prepared to say his all round game especially the distribution is measurably better, but he was a bit rash coming out for the second goal, the ball bounced over him and left his defenders in trouble.

This was one of those times if he hadn't committed himself he might have been in a position to grab the ball.

Derry I dont know where you sit but I sit 8 rows back in the Northam. Bent headed the ball into the ground and was fortunate that he mi**** it and it bounced high over KD to the back post.Bent is one of those players who is poor but does well against us but fails elsewhere.It was a fortunate bounce.I do accept you are trying to be less critical so far this season.It shows to meyou are prepared to people a chance.

As somebody who through economics and geography has not seen Saints yet this season, I will not comment directly on the match :p

However, there seems to be a fair few on here subscribing to blind optimism abd thinking there are easy pickings coming up after Derby; this is a selection of our results last season against the 'weaker' teams ....

Colchester (H) 1-1

Barnsley (H) 2-3

Sheff Wed (H) 0-0

Preston (H) 0-1

Colchester (A) 1-1

Norwich (H) 0-1

S****horpe (A) 1-1

QPR (H) 2-3

Plymouth (H) 0-2

Coventry (H) 0-0

Burnley (H) 0-1

For balance, we did also excel in matches we were supposed to lose, WBA and Sheff Utd at the end of the season being the stand-outs. Saints have always been unpredictable, that is one of the joys of supporting them, in the depths of despair they will go and do something completely unexpected and pull a rabbit out of the hat. The worries for this season are the lack of physical strength, experience, and squad depth, and the untried nature of the manager ( but then we are used to that, aren't we ).

I am unsure as to whether overall there is the tactical nous or mental strength to deliver sufficient points to ensure we are not in need of another 'great escape'. It is too early to conclude that we are doomed, but I am certain that all of those on here expecting a top ten finish are almost certainly deluding themselves - and I do not need to have been at any of the matches so far to know this.

Apart from you saying Brum deserved to win the rest is spot on.

Do you agree that Stern should have buried his chance and if he did we wuld have come away with something.

In all honesty i think they deserved to win simply because they had better chances of which 2 goals were not given. If John had scored then who knows what might of happened. What annoyed me was when we went 1-2 down we didn't venture forward much at all. In fact at 1 point i think i only counted 1 of our guys DMG in their half. Also i think Jan's tactics when we went behind were a bit strange really as should of tried to make it more attacking. The boys did well and they gave it a good shot. I still don't think we will get relegated and i think with more experience we can go on to win games like this.

As somebody who through economics and geography has not seen Saints yet this season, I will not comment directly on the match :p

However, there seems to be a fair few on here subscribing to blind optimism abd thinking there are easy pickings coming up after Derby; this is a selection of our results last season against the 'weaker' teams ....

Colchester (H) 1-1

Barnsley (H) 2-3

Sheff Wed (H) 0-0

Preston (H) 0-1

Colchester (A) 1-1

Norwich (H) 0-1

S****horpe (A) 1-1

QPR (H) 2-3

Plymouth (H) 0-2

Coventry (H) 0-0

Burnley (H) 0-1

For balance, we did also excel in matches we were supposed to lose, WBA and Sheff Utd at the end of the season being the stand-outs. Saints have always been unpredictable, that is one of the joys of supporting them, in the depths of despair they will go and do something completely unexpected and pull a rabbit out of the hat. The worries for this season are the lack of physical strength, experience, and squad depth, and the untried nature of the manager ( but then we are used to that, aren't we ).

I am unsure as to whether overall there is the tactical nous or mental strength to deliver sufficient points to ensure we are not in need of another 'great escape'. It is too early to conclude that we are doomed, but I am certain that all of those on here expecting a top ten finish are almost certainly deluding themselves - and I do not need to have been at any of the matches so far to know this.

you like most are missing the point, it wasn't about the result it was about watching good football.

Derry I dont know where you sit but I sit 8 rows back in the Northam. Bent headed the ball into the ground and was fortunate that he mi**** it and it bounced high over KD to the back post.Bent is one of those players who is poor but does well against us but fails elsewhere.It was a fortunate bounce.I do accept you are trying to be less critical so far this season.It shows to meyou are prepared to people a chance.

He is trying to be better all round, to some extent he has succeeded for me. He still has rash moments, will I, won't I, then rushes out too late. That happened today, he came and unluckily was a trifle late and the ball bounced over his head. Itchen Block 5 10yds outside the penalty area.

Colchester (H) 1-1

Barnsley (H) 2-3

Sheff Wed (H) 0-0

Preston (H) 0-1

Colchester (A) 1-1

Norwich (H) 0-1

S****horpe (A) 1-1

QPR (H) 2-3

Plymouth (H) 0-2

Coventry (H) 0-0

Burnley (H) 0-1

Well put and spot on imo.

He is trying to be better all round, to some extent he has succeeded for me. He still has rash moments, will I, won't I, then rushes out too late. That happened today, he came and unluckily was a trifle late and the ball bounced over his head. Itchen Block 5 10yds outside the penalty area.
I think I was on this occasion in a better position to judge the incident and believe me bent did indeed try to head the ball downwards but not the way it did and bounced so high.If it was hit correctly they wouldnt have scored as it was covered.

It's gone way beyond expectations and happiness with effort and performance. This is a team full of young energetic players really trying.. but.. sadly this will not be enough.

If we can get through this season and stay up that will be the biggest success we have had in a long long time. Keep your heads up Lads and keep going.

ANYBODY WATCHING WITH A FEW MILL PLEASE PUT IT BEHIND THIS GREAT CLUB NOW

Colchester (H) 1-1

Barnsley (H) 2-3

Sheff Wed (H) 0-0

Preston (H) 0-1

Colchester (A) 1-1

Norwich (H) 0-1

S****horpe (A) 1-1

QPR (H) 2-3

Plymouth (H) 0-2

Coventry (H) 0-0

Burnley (H) 0-1

Has anyone expected a top ten finish? Not many anyway. I just said we will not be relegated this season.

you like most are missing the point, it wasn't about the result it was about watching good football.

And you Kip have missed my point, which is that there are no 'easy' games to rely on. Being relegated as a consequence of playing lightweight football and being bullied out of things by more experienced or simply more physical teams is not how I want this season to end. There has to be an end product, and can you honestly say that on a miserable winters evening, on a northern mudbath in driving rain, this squad will be strong enough to grind out the necessary points ?

I sincerely hope the squad can turn promising, 'pretty', build up play into goals, and until I have seen them play I will reserve comment on specific performances. But from what I can deduce from the financial state, ( eg Davies and Rasiak going ), and the consequent team sheet, together with the world class CV of the manager ( :confused: ), I can deduce that we most certainly will not 'walk this league', as some here still believe. And how long will people pay to watch a pretty team lose ?

Please note: we are already 4 points behind DONCASTER ROVERS, who have played two of the first three teams we have matches against. This, I am afraid, is most definitely a FACT.

I think I was on this occasion in a better position to judge the incident and believe me bent did indeed try to head the ball downwards but not the way it did and bounced so high.If it was hit correctly they wouldnt have scored as it was covered.

I agree it could have been different but I felt he was caught out. The rest of his game was better.

And you Kip have missed my point, which is that there are no 'easy' games to rely on. Being relegated as a consequence of playing lightweight football and being bullied out of things by more experienced or simply more physical teams is not how I want this season to end. There has to be an end product, and can you honestly say that on a miserable winters evening, on a northern mudbath in driving rain, this squad will be strong enough to grind out the necessary points ?

I sincerely hope the squad can turn promising, 'pretty', build up play into goals, and until I have seen them play I will reserve comment on specific performances. But from what I can deduce from the financial state, ( eg Davies and Rasiak going ), and the consequent team sheet, together with the world class CV of the manager ( :confused: ), I can deduce that we most certainly will not 'walk this league', as some here still believe. And how long will people pay to watch a pretty team lose ?

Please note: we are already 4 points behind DONCASTER ROVERS, who have played two of the first three teams we have matches against. This, I am afraid, is most definitely a FACT.

How the **** does he know? You certainly don't. This is a new team who have shown a lot of promising signs. As you have said, this league is unpredictable, so how on Earth can you judge how we will be performing months from now. I will have difficulty predicting the score for the next game!

but we can turn it into results, if Stern had his scoring boots on or we hadn't missed 3 or 4 great chances we would of won, first time in ages we got behind the defence and carved out goal scoring chances, honestly it was a good performance, no need to panic.

I have seen both matches this season and I'm sorry this "youth team" with a sprinkling of hardened old pros who are very much at the end of their careers is going nowhere but into a relegation battle. Nice football at times and for the best part plenty of energy,enthusiasm and fitness but this is a very tough league and we lack the experience both on the field and particularly on the bench to have any chance of competing with the vast majority of the teams in the Championship. Today was a good example - played well in the first half and deserved to be in front but after the break Birmingham took over and were comfortable winners in the end. Too many young promising but raw kids and a distinct lack of a cutting edge up front spells trouble. Selling Andrew Davies who was our best player by far last season shows that Lowe and this toothless board are totally committed to selling anyone despite their proven ability and worth to the team to any club who makes any sort of bid. By the nature of this policy there is no doubt that the team has no chance of anything but battling to avoid the drop. Crowds will drop and the financial pressure will increase. Sorry to paint such a morbid picture but I have supported this club for over 50 years and will continue to attend matches both home and away but the future is very bleak in my opinion. Unless an outside investor enters the fray replacing Lowe and his non investing cronies and it seems to me that is unlikely despite the plumetting share price, we will continue to go downhill. Please don't criticise me for lack of support for uttering an honestly held and hopefully realistic opinion. Blind faith when the writing is on the wall is delusion.

I completely understand where you are coming from,but when does getting points on the board come into the equation .

some of the stuff played is very pleasing to the eye but needs to be maintained for longer than 25-40 mins out of 90mins.

We are devoid of a plan b ,and the resources to put that plan into action it seems.

Hopefully alot will be learnt from the two CCC games,and from,despite what the scoreline suggests,the Exeter match also.

Apart from that it was last season and we have a vastly different lineup.

Exactly! half of which we have sold.

Guys, I really hope your optimism is founded, but my viewpoint is that we will seriously struggle. The style of football we are playing now and the reliance on youth imo means that we are going to struggle in this league.

[/b]

I completely understand where you are coming from,but when does getting points on the board come into the equation .

some of the stuff played is very pleasing to the eye but needs to be maintained for longer than 25-40 mins out of 90mins.

We are devoid of a plan b ,and the resources to put that plan into action it seems.

Hopefully alot will be learnt from the two CCC games,and from,despite what the scoreline suggests,the Exeter match also.

I think the more the kids play the more they will learn, they have the talent and with games the experience and know how will come, no worries.

I have seen both matches this season and I'm sorry this "youth team" with a sprinkling of hardened old pros who are very much at the end of their careers is going nowhere but into a relegation battle. Nice football at times and for the best part plenty of energy,enthusiasm and fitness but this is a very tough league and we lack the experience both on the field and particularly on the bench to have any chance of competing with the vast majority of the teams in the Championship. Today was a good example - played well in the first half and deserved to be in front but after the break Birmingham took over and were comfortable winners in the end. Too many young promising but raw kids and a distinct lack of a cutting edge up front spells trouble. Selling Andrew Davies who was our best player by far last season shows that Lowe and this toothless board are totally committed to selling anyone despite their proven ability and worth to the team to any club who makes any sort of bid. By the nature of this policy there is no doubt that the team has no chance of anything but battling to avoid the drop. Crowds will drop and the financial pressure will increase. Sorry to paint such a morbid picture but I have supported this club for over 50 years and will continue to attend matches both home and away but the future is very bleak in my opinion. Unless an outside investor enters the fray replacing Lowe and his non investing cronies and it seems to me that is unlikely despite the plumetting share price, we will continue to go downhill. Please don't criticise me for lack of support for uttering an honestly held and hopefully realistic opinion. Blind faith when the writing is on the wall is delusion.
You are no doubt correct but the club has to be pragmatic. We dont know how Davis is and he might not even pass a medical as Jan says he's still injured.

I would love to have him at the club but like last season one of our real hopes is taken for us after 2 games by a promoted club (kenwynne) We should by now be used to this.Perhaps it would be better to have a team of averagew players whop stay together akin to Bristol City, rather than individuals that stand out and are taken from us.

Exactly! half of which we have sold.

Guys, I really hope your optimism is founded, but my viewpoint is that we will seriously struggle. The style of football we are playing now and the reliance on youth imo means that we are going to struggle in this league.

In a position like we are what else can we do.We have to sell to recoup our excesses in the past.

This is a good summary IMO:

http://www.saints247.co.uk/2008/08/16/inexperienced-so-what/

To get experience you have to play!

If you were at the game it was probably the ‘experienced’ players who let us down. That is perhaps being a bit harsh on the older playerss today, but I have become very fed up very quickly with people banging on about experience. How many ‘experienced’ players were in our team last year… we did really well didn’t we?!

A happy medium would be to have perhaps 3 or 4 good experienced pros in the team, but we simply do not have them do we. Anyway, the young lads have already shown more desire, more commitment, more flair, more skill, more awareness, more control than the team I saw last year, so what could they possibly learn from our ‘experienced’ players apart from how to get paid a lot of money and take the supporters and club for a ride.

Stern John wasn’t up to it today and personally I would start the next few games with McGoldrick up front, Lallana a bit more forward and Jake Thomson leaving John on the bench.

Our young lads will only improve and get stronger. They certainly don’t lack confidence, so we as supporters should be supporting them 100% otherwise we will be responsible for sucking the confidence out of them. For the first time in a long time, I don’t think I moaned at any player during the game, I was honestly very pleased and impressed with the team. The Birmingham goals were scrappy, we didn’t lose because of experience, we lost because we didn’t have the same fire power available to us like Birmingham. I think we could afford to be a bit more direct in final third sometimes but you can not fault the team and Manager for wanting to play football the way it should be played. Add more goals into the mix and we will be the team to watch!

YES, I KNOW FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT RESULTS but give credit where it is due, the lads did well, Birmingham had some good strikers in their team. The fact that McLeish had to chuck them all on is testament to how much Birmingham had to throw at us to get a win, albeit a tad undeserved and lucky.

Keep playing the young lads Jan

Neil

There is an element in a few of the reactions of people who wanted to say 'I told you so' grabbing at the result today to reinforce preconceived opinions. Fact is, we could have been 2 up just before the equaliser and overall it was a close game that either side could have said they deserved to win or draw.

It was well understood that the first few games would be hard - Cardiff away, FA cup finalists and near the top of the table most of last season, and Birmingham at home, just down from the Prem but favourites to go straight back. There will be plenty of easier games than these, but in these two games Saints have not looked out of their league at all. If we are in the bottom 3 at the end of Sept that would be reason to worry, but certainly not yet. It is just 2 games and 8 other teams haven't had a win yet.

This is a good summary IMO:

http://www.saints247.co.uk/2008/08/16/inexperienced-so-what/

To get experience you have to play!

If you were at the game it was probably the ‘experienced’ players who let us down. That is perhaps being a bit harsh on the older playerss today, but I have become very fed up very quickly with people banging on about experience. How many ‘experienced’ players were in our team last year… we did really well didn’t we?!

A happy medium would be to have perhaps 3 or 4 good experienced pros in the team, but we simply do not have them do we. Anyway, the young lads have already shown more desire, more commitment, more flair, more skill, more awareness, more control than the team I saw last year, so what could they possibly learn from our ‘experienced’ players apart from how to get paid a lot of money and take the supporters and club for a ride.

Stern John wasn’t up to it today and personally I would start the next few games with McGoldrick up front, Lallana a bit more forward and Jake Thomson leaving John on the bench.

Our young lads will only improve and get stronger. They certainly don’t lack confidence, so we as supporters should be supporting them 100% otherwise we will be responsible for sucking the confidence out of them. For the first time in a long time, I don’t think I moaned at any player during the game, I was honestly very pleased and impressed with the team. The Birmingham goals were scrappy, we didn’t lose because of experience, we lost because we didn’t have the same fire power available to us like Birmingham. I think we could afford to be a bit more direct in final third sometimes but you can not fault the team and Manager for wanting to play football the way it should be played. Add more goals into the mix and we will be the team to watch!

YES, I KNOW FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT RESULTS but give credit where it is due, the lads did well, Birmingham had some good strikers in their team. The fact that McLeish had to chuck them all on is testament to how much Birmingham had to throw at us to get a win, albeit a tad undeserved and lucky.

Keep playing the young lads Jan

Neil

I think that sums it up very nicely.

People earn respect they do not command it!! I went today and saw a team bereft of skill, guile, leadership and fitness. We got what we deserved!!

Well I was at St Mary's watching a team who in the 1st half showed skill and guile in abundance - what game were you at? Yes we faded after the break but the football was so much better than last season.