Saints v Birmingham - Post Match Reaction

Baj

He can't answer as he used up hisd post quota. He didn't go though.

How on earth, somebody who never saw the match can so negatively predict that 'it will all be over by christmas' is plain stupidity imho....

More people on here should remember that 'seeing is believing' prior to commenting on something which they evidently have not seen.

I HATE Kevin Phillips. And I mean the dictionary definition of HATE. We were all over them 1st half but didn't take enough of our chances and they got into us 2nd half and made there chances count. Typical saints tho, conceding to COMICAL goals, all our defenders seemed to fall over and let them score both of the goals. FFS.

good performance by saints for the first half,we seem to play a bit better when stern plays in that forward position rather McGoldrick.

i dont want to put too much of a downer on it but i hope that the managemet team learn to be a bit more tactically aware for the whole game and not just the first half,as it seemed we didnt really have anything to counter the brum tactics in the second half.

all in all i was happy with the football but not the result,it just stings a bit that the winner was scored by phillips and they didnt really deserve the win.

When saints lose - last thing you need to do is add to the woe by reading any of AS's posts

It's not expressing an opinion that gets me but the sheer unremitting depressing nature of every one of a vast quantity of posts.

Anyway, this song is dedicated to AS:

I think we'll do kinda okay this season but it's gonna be very close. We really do need to sort out the final third in games against decent opposition though. A proven goal scorer wouldn't go a miss, as we need one badly at the moment, McGoldrick is going great guns, but apart from that not much else up front. Big mistake getting rid of Rasiak & Davies, I know it was to trim the wage bill, but couldn't we have done it in other ways?

I had to play myself toady so I wasn't listening to the match but a 2-1 loss with 5live saying we were unlucky is not that bad. Of course not having points after two matches is a disappointment but we all knew that was a possibility after the fixtures were released and keeping last years results in the back of our minds. The attandence figures are a disappointment as well, but would would have expected otherwise. Last year we had a playoff season behind us and this season we had a last day survival behind us. I'm sure some people didn't go because of Lowe/Wilde but I think last years results have more to do with it. But in the end there's just one thing to say: Onwards and upwards.

Erm, 1900 were Brum fans..........

Just back. Definately the best Saints performance in the first half that I have seen in a few years, great one touch passing, Gillett and Schneiderlin in control, Lallana some great touches and DMG and Holmes stretching Brum's defence.

Ok, we mucked up in the 2nd half, but the goals were the fault (if anyone's) of our more experienced players and for large parts we outplayed Brum who were largely long ball merchants.

We will certainly thrash a few teams at SMS and with the team learning all the time and am very confident that JP will be a success.

At the end of the day Brum have a Prem team and will be in the top 3 or 4 come May, we won't be, but will certainly be in the CCC.

For those who moan yet havent seen the matches (and probably don't intend to) this is a Saints team that play good, entertaining football and play with passion. IMO we were miles better than with a load of journeymen pros who are more bothered about their pay packet.

Get behind the lads and go and see them play before judging them, you may actually be impressed (Alpine excluded).

I was there as usual today and what I saw was exactly what I expected. A bright start with an even first half, although Quincy was skinning James at will, and a second half in which we were completely overpowered. We had the one good chance from John but apart from that we were steadily overrun and never looked like scoring again. Complete tactical ineptitude from the manager (sorry, coach) playing one up front at home and not changing it after Birmingham went ahead, although to be honest there was nobody on the bench to bring on. Where were BWP and Skacel and what is the point of paying them all this money to play golf? We have a desperately thin squad and I can see nothing positive to take out of the game. I can see absolutley no resons to be cheerful, but I shall be there every home game as usual. We are down to the bare bones, half a crowd, half a squad, half a football club.

Played well. However i worry that we do not have proper full backs. Birmingham bombarded Surman in the second half cos they knew he was not a full back. If we don't get some full backs in the centre backs have to cover too much and we will let in goals!

Again, so what ?

Apparently, staving off administration is ONLY about the wage bill, donchyaknow ?

You're trying to insinuate that the club are not doing their best to get as many people as possible to the stadium and that the only way the club are trying to get out of the financial problems is cost cutting. What I am saying is that the lower attendance had to be expected with last season results in the back of our mind. Besides that the attendance during the course of last season was an average of 21253 and that included several highs like Sheff Utd. at home and the beginning of the season when people still believed we might be doing well. We're only 2258 below last seasons average, I'm not that disappointed by that, if results pick up a bit and we keep playing good football like today people will come back.

I dont mind realism and we may well struggle this season but SOME posters on here almost appear to get some sort of perverse pleasure out of us losing.....ITS FUNNY THESE SAME POSTERS ARE NOT SO VOCIFEROUS WHEN WE WIN!!!

Balance!!!!

How do you know? 2 games zero points.

I went and we out-played Brum in the first half ,they edged the second.We still played some of the best football I have seen for some time against a team who I see as promotion dead certs.

We have had a tough first couple of games and I am sure the bed-wetters will be happy to have thier prejudices confirmed.How many of them actually went I wonder ?

Davis: 7.5 - some excellent saves, particulary one in the middle of the 2nd half. We still look poor at set piece defending, and i cant help but feel a more commanding goalkeeper would solve that

James - 5 - To be fair, he was up against probably the best winger in the Championship so it's hardly surprising he struggled. He got royally raped a couple of times though, and although he had some good distribution initially, this faded. However, he needs games, and we need to give him a chance if we cant get any loans in.

Svensson - 7.5 - Pretty solid. Still a little slow on the turn, but that'll come.

Perry - 7.5 - Pretty solid as well, and got the goal

Surman - 7.5 - Thought he played well, although would've be nice if he got forward more and put in more crosses. Still good performance.

Gillet - 8 - Ran his arse off. Faded towards the end, but comfortable on the ball with good first touch.

Schiderlain - 8 - Excellent touch. Looks calm and assured on the ball. An excellent signing.

Holmes - 7 - Contrary to the '3' he received earlier in this thread, I thought he played well. Good combining across the field. Needs slightly better distribution, but good effort rate. Should have scored though.....

McGoldrick - 7 - I honestly didnt know what score to give him. I remember some good touches, but i also don't recall him for much of the game. Do remember thinking that he looks calm on the ball though.

Lallana - 8.5 - Man of the Match (for Saints). I thought he played excellently. He played like someone who saw himself as above the the other players. He was clam, assured, aggressive and good movement throughout.

John - 7.5 - Flitted in and out. Good holding up play at times, and combined well with others. Should have scored just before the Birmingham equaliiser.

Subs:

Thomson - 5 - Didnt impress me i'm afraid. Reminded me a lot of Dyer - fast, cuts inside too much and dubious final ball. Still, he only had 30mins and i havent seen him in preseason games so could have just had a bit of an off day.

Overall I thought we played really well, particulary the first half. It was a joy to watch at times with some excellent one touch passing and movement. They were playing for each other more than any other Saints side in recent memory. I do worry about the pace of our centre-backs though and the hearing that Davies is going concerns me a lot. If Svensson or Perry gets injured (which is likely) then we've got problems as our CB cover is sketchy and our full backs need a lot of support.

why is it, both after this game and the Cardiff game, the posters who see the games are more positive than those who moan without seeing the players they slag off?

Exactly. Again, I was heartened by the performance.

I won't fault the commitment, effort and style in which they play, esp against a side relegated from the PL last season.

Its easy to sit and snipe and chip away from a distance.

Only after we are a cert for relegation Alps.

Until that time it is considered treason to not be ridiculously optimistic

Judging by the comments from those who were actually there, none have said that we are certs for relegation. Likewise none have been ridiculously optimistic either (there are no 'we will walk this leaguers' here), no one has even mentioned play offs or promotion.

Therefore I can only conclude that they are giving a true balanced opinion based on what they have witnessed and are not committing 'treason' by being wildly optimistic.

Were you there?

totally agree with you, all that joking about his wife made him determined to get a goal and he did within 30 seconds!
Scud I didnt sing the song but please do not tell me that Phillips would not have scored that 1ft tap in if the song hadnt been sung.

He was anonymous.

I won't fault the commitment, effort and style in which they play, esp against a side relegated from the PL last season.

I am willing to go along with that, actually.

But the fact remains, they aint good enough, havent got enough experience, and are stuck with a single system of play.

First half they were not happy, Mcliesh was going mad for the 1st 45 and he had every right to, they didn't know how to handle us and was very encouraging, everybody is only despairing because we lost but at half time you wouldn;t have swapped our team for the experienced pro's from last year. Second half we faded and as said above, bench was too weak, though out midfield 3 look class.

M.O.M Lallana - class above, really good footballing brain and ability, hopefully he isn't the next youngster to want a move to the premiership because they will come knocking if he continues this form and pops up with a few goals

I was there as usual today and what I saw was exactly what I expected. A bright start with an even first half, although Quincy was skinning James at will, and a second half in which we were completely overpowered. We had the one good chance from John but apart from that we were steadily overrun and never looked like scoring again. Complete tactical ineptitude from the manager (sorry, coach) playing one up front at home and not changing it after Birmingham went ahead, although to be honest there was nobody on the bench to bring on. Where were BWP and Skacel and what is the point of paying them all this money to play golf? We have a desperately thin squad and I can see nothing positive to take out of the game. I can see absolutley no resons to be cheerful, but I shall be there every home game as usual. We are down to the bare bones, half a crowd, half a squad, half a football club.

Not from where I was sitting!

I am willing to go along with that, actually.

But the fact remains, they aint good enough, havent got enough experience, and are stuck with a single system of play.

The football we played was superb, this simply isnt true.

Lallana and Schneiderlin are better on the bal than any of the Birmingham players. They were bigger and stronger but you cannot say people are not good enough if you havent seen them play.

Why not ?

Some of you appear to have utterly over-impressed by a few pretty touches and passes.

Sod the possession issues from the 2nd half in both games so far, eh ?

You can just f*ck off as far as I am concerned. How on Earth can you say that people have been overly impressed by something when you haven't even seen yourself! Is it not possible that you are being overly negative? Tell me, why should someone accept your opinion of the team and ignore the "overly impressed" people who have actually been to the games and formed their own opinions?

lightweight, what really concerns me is Kelvin. He just doesnt command the box, his failure to come out claim the ball contributed to the goals.

did it ****. The first goal was due to Perry missing the header and then falling over. The ball was miles out and no reason or opportunity for Davis to come.

The second was due to three players getting drawn to the winger leaving 3 on 2 in the middle. The cross was deep, Davis had no chance to come and no chance to stop the goal.

Get off the guys back, there were others that had much worse games. James at fullback was terrible.

Biggest disappointment of the day was the rubbish support the saints fan gave the boys.

Chapel was empty and the brum fans out sang the rest. Lets get behind them as they gave a good performance against the strongest team in the league. coyr

Biggest disappointment of the day was the rubbish support the saints fan gave the boys.

Chapel was empty and the brum fans out sang the rest. Lets get behind them as they gave a good performance against the strongest team in the league. coyr

Sort of difficult now everyone from the Itchen has been scattered about the place.

The first half performance was outstanding. The trio of Gillett, Schneiderlin and Llallana were combining superbly and the two fullbacks were getting forward and supporting the attack to great effect.

We definitely deserved to go in 1-0 up, and there were spells in the first half where Birmingham couldn't get the ball.

The turning point for me was John's miss at the beginning of the 2nd half. 2-0 and we could well have gone on to win. Then we conceded a very soft goal - letting Birmingham back into the game in the process.

We weren't as threatening in the 2nd half overall, but there were some very promising moves with a lot of passing and intelligent movement.

I'm was impressed with Llallana in particular, he really looks at home in the AM role just behind the striker, and he will be a key creative player for us this season if we can get the ball to him in the right areas. Schneiderlin looks a class act too, and well complemented by Gillett.

On the downside, surprise surprise, our fullbacks aren't strong enough. Although excellent going forward, they lack defensive strength. James was skinned by Owusu-whatshisface on a fair few occasions, and then later by Jerome.

That said, both James and Surman were excellent going forward, so if their defensive game does improve they should be ok.

My ratings:

Davis - 6 Had very little command of his area, which I'm sure was a factor for their first goal. However he made some awesome saves...same as always for KD I suppose

James - 5 Composed on the ball, and a threat going forward but was beaten all-ends-up by the left winger on too many occasions and it was no surprise that most of their chances came from crosses.

Surman - 6 Threatening going forward and better defensively than James. However his tackling was often wayward, and on more than one occasion he completely missed his challenge leaving the left flank completely exposed

Killer - 7 Very strong in the challenge and in the air, but got turned too easily on a couple of occasions.

Perry - 7 Great goal and solid defensively, an excellent partner for Killer

Gillett - 7 Full of running and won a lot of the ball, played some good simple passes and linked well with Schneiderlin

Schneiderlin - 8 Very classy player, great range and accuracy of passing. Has superb awareness and was strong on the ball throughout.

Llallana - 8 MOM for me. Quick, skillful, hard-working and had it not been for a very robust midfield led by Lee Carsley, he could probably have won us the game.

Holmes - 6 Some nice touches and good running off the ball. his delivery is also superb, with a great corner for our goal. However he has no pace, and will probably only be a threat if he receives the ball quickly when he gets in a good position.

DMG - 6 Looked threatening when he managed to burst down the wing and get the cross in. Dropped too deep when he switched to the lone striker role though and as such wasn't much of a goal threat.

John - 6 Should have scored with his header to make it 2-0 at the start of the second half. However he held the ball up well and was involved in some good link-up play with Llallana. He should start every game in the lone striker role IMO

Thomson - 6 Some good positive running, lots of pace, but end product was lacking - hopefully won't prove to be another Dyer in that respect

Overall, there is a lot of promise in this team, and I'm a hell of a lot more positive than I was after the opening home fixture last season. We played a team full of internationals and players with hundreds of Premiership appearances between them and for good periods of the game made them look ordinary. I only hope that the youngsters don't lose their confidence, and bounce back for the next game.

Why not ?

Some of you appear to have utterly over-impressed by a few pretty touches and passes.

Sod the possession issues from the 2nd half in both games so far, eh ?

I was very impressed with the football, energy and team work in the first half.

Birmingham were on top in the second -nearly very different when went very close to scoring only for them to immediately score and gain momentum.

The fact is, this team will easily be promoted (them not us!) and they could not deal with us in the first half.

The difference is that they had more quality than any other team in division to counter our play in the second half. Most will not be able to react like that.

I saw enough to suggest we will be mid table.

I was sat with an ex saint today and they agreed with me and most one here that the first half we played reasonably well. But during the game he was picking out things about our team that Birmingham would sort out in the second half and they did! He says the lads need to grow up very quickly and get to grips with the physical side of things quick. He also mentioned looking at the squad in the programme it is very slim. Out defense who have an avergae age of about 33 (now davies has gone!!) You only need them to pick up an injury and we will then have a couple of 18yrs old there.

The one up front tactic is pointless, like today young David was up there ready to cross the ball in and he was the most forward player!

Yes there is a long way to go, but me personally am not looking for great things this season :(

You can just f*ck off as far as I am concerned. How on Earth can you say that people have been overly impressed by something when you haven't even seen yourself! Is it not possible that you are being overly negative? Tell me, why should someone accept your opinion of the team and ignore the "overly impressed" people who have actually been to the games and formed their own opinions?

Because even though I havent seen them this season, I seem to have a better feeling for where the team is than some of those who have.

(psssst, btw, the "your opinion is invalid because you havent seen the team" dig is wearing a bit thin, since I seem to have a better idea how the games will end than some of those who go, buy the programme, drink the beer, eats the pies, pee in the loo, etc...)