Can we keep hold of Ings?

Dusic

Any discussion which starts with "can we keep hold"nearly always  ends up  with the player leaving doesn't it. If only these players weren't so ambitious, but I suppose if they weren't they wouldn't be so good. If we could keep him one more year and get our home form to match our away form maybe just maybe.

Of all the recent "probably too good to stay" classed players I think Ings will stay. Sometimes in life happiness, stability, contentment are going to be more important than money, and you just need to watch him on the pitch and his interactions with other players and RH and he looks incredibly happy. Sometimes footballers just want to play football....I think we judge a few a bit too harshly sometimes, assuming its ONLY about money (probably because of our own jealousies of the amount they earn - which actually I am not). Obviously if you want to leave and money is important then it is all about money. If however the football is priority because you know you're getting a shed load regardless, then other things become more important. Of course I could be totally wrong and he goes in a months time, but if I were betting on it I reckon he will sign an extension rather than leave. As others have stated, he coould become a true Saints legend if he sees out his career here. 🤞

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Piffle, absolute piffle.

He's the #1 striker here; he would be a benchwarmer-cum-sub at a big club. And we're not a big selling club any more; we can pay our way now; this isn't 2010.

We haven't had anyone worth selling for a while that's why. 

Every time we have, the same thing has happened over and over again, and the team goes back to square 1.

It's not like Ings is using Saints as a 'stepping stone' though, unlike the other money grabbers. He seems like a decent well grounded chap, so fingers crossed he has some loyalty to his local club, and we can really push on and upwards next season with him leading from the front. 

Everyone has a price & every player would like to play for a top club in the champions league week in week out. If Pep decided DI was his top target to reclaim the title do people really think Ings would say” no, I’m happy here”. 

The only thing being happy & playing for his boyhood club means is he probably won’t agitate for a move, and won’t sulk , but anyone who thinks he would turn down a top club is deluded. 

A 2 or 3 year contract extension for Danny would be the best bit of business we could do this summer.

Clubs I fear could be sniffing:

City - Aguero is on his way out, Danny would fit straight in there.

Spurs - if Kane goes.

Utd - Danny is an upgrade on Martial 

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Piffle, absolute piffle.

He's the #1 striker here; he would be a benchwarmer-cum-sub at a big club. And we're not a big selling club any more; we can pay our way now; this isn't 2010.

we are not a selling club now? only because we haven't had anyone worth selling recently. We will never hold a top player, that is what is so discouraging. But Danny will stay IMHO because he has seen the top set up and doesn't need to risk it again 

On 6/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, Born In The 80s said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ings won anything at Liverpool. In fact, I don't think he has won anything in his career. Strongly suspect he and his agent have ambitions to change that.

Regarding you laugh at my suggestion of Everton and Leicester being bigger than us: one of them is managed by one of the world's top coaches; the other won the premier league and will be playing in the Champions League next year. Keep laughing if you want, but both are significantly bigger clubs than we are currently. 

BIB  So are we,he's still got years ahead of him and  the rest of the world just hasn't come to recognise it yet. 😜

49 minutes ago, Golden Balls said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if the club were actively looking to sell him. Get a bidding war going. 

Ings himself knows he would need to go somewhere where he plays every week and that will be the main thing. If a top club can offer that, he’s gone.

I think the fact that he is 28 years old later this month and with a recent poor injury record which will put off many clubs. It would probably mean that he will have a very limited resale value, so that would reduce the amount that someone would be prepared to pay now. It may be our biggest protection against him going.  I suspect that it would put off someone like Spurs who need to watch their spending. 

14 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I think the fact that he is 28 years old later this month and with a recent poor injury record which will put off many clubs.

I suspect that it would put off someone like Spurs who need to watch their spending. 

That’ll depend on whether Jose is still there and if so, what influence over transfers he has. History tells us, he couldn’t care less about age or injury record, just whether someone can do the business for a couple of years.

Long shot, but if they sold Kane & on the back of that gave Jose the money to reinvest as he wanted, I’d be worried. Luckily, Levy isn’t the type to do that. 

Leicester to replace Vardy would be my bet , IF he goes anywhere. 

On 02/07/2020 at 22:18, simo said:

Depends how spurs and us do between now and the end of the season , wouldnt be surprised for Jose to get the boot and them come in for Ralph and Ings

But Spuds have supposedly no money,think of the compensation on Mourinhos contract if he was sacked.

No goals, but for me, that was one of Ings' best games in a Saints shirt so far. He epitomised our 'bodies on the line' attitude of the team today. He was all over the field and his closing down in the last few minutes was just as tenacious and energetic as it was at the beginning of the game. Hats off to him. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trousers said:

No goals, but for me, that was one of Ings' best games in a Saints shirt so far. He epitomised our 'bodies on the line' attitude of the team today. He was all over the field and his closing down in the last few minutes was just as tenacious and energetic as it was at the beginning of the game. Hats off to him. 

Seems to be over his injuries and confidence is back in his body to perform like this. Good to see.