Can we keep hold of Ings?

Dusic

The guy is on fire...and not just goals, his work rate and stats for ball winning is right at the top of the league as well.

Aged 28 later this month, but with less miles on the clock due to injuries he is in his prime now.

With two years left on his contract, Saints are in a good position as if any of the big clubs seriously wanted him then surely we could start the bidding at £60m, but would he have much of an interest in moving?

Surely no coincidence that he has hit this form by being a key player, starting every game and playing under a Manager who gets the best out of him and looks to be building a decent team. Being 'at home' must also be great personally for him. Why would he want to change anything just now?

He is a professional though and all players are ambitious to play at the best level they can. He probably feels so unlucky with what happened at Liverpool and may have some sense of unfinished business at a top club, and with England.

Saints are a selling club, and we have not been able to keep high profile, high performers before - so its a valid question to ask.

Can't help but feel a nice pay rise and a contract extension would be a great reward for him, and also sends a nice message to fans by keeping a top quality player for once. Lets hope it goes like this.

Have to add, he seems like a top guy as well, which really adds to his appeal.

It's a win win either way for us. If he does go then we will get serious cash which would make up for any shortfall from covid if we are desperate for money. Obviously would prefer to keep him and it would be a great achievement if he wins the golden Boot this year considering how poor we have been for a lot of this season. 

Of all the talismanesque players we have, he is the most likely to stay of any. Burned at a bigger power, now established as a hero at his boyhood club with international recognition beckoning.

The money it would take to prise him away..... With his injury history. Would it be desirable? - For either party?

That said, watch Man Utd bid 50mil and Ingsy loving the pay rise.

Edited by Colinjb

I can't see any genuine big club going on for him - he'd cost too much for his age and I think all those clubs would look elsewhere as more exciting global talent.

The only clubs that I think would be in for him are those desperate to spend/show intent/make an impact. And who major global talent doesn't want to sign for.

And those clubs are

a) Everton - but a former Liverpool player who is still thought highly of by their fans? Feels unlikely.

OR

b) Newcastle powered by crazy Arab money. Would be a perfect signing from their perspective.

If they offered him and us absolutely mental money maybe that might happen but like others I think he's done the big club thing and maybe he'd quite like to be a legend for us instead. 

Edited by CB Fry

Think both Danny & the club can thrive together, really hope we keep him but if someone did knock the door with £60 mill+ then would be almost impossible to resist for both Danny and the club, he could double his salary no sweat! 

Praying he stays fit!

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I can't see any genuine big club going on for him - hed cost too much for his age and I think all those clubs would look elsewhere.

The only clubs that would be in for him are those desperate to spend/show intent/make an impact. And thise clubs are a) a

Someone like Newcastle maybe if their takeover goes through. 

• Like 1

I reckon he could go, especially in the current environment, players have had a chance to reflect, if there was a second spike in the winter, and football ends again it's another few months burnt away in a short career, I could see a player like him thinking, 'Lets try & get that last big move while I can' I hope i'm wrong. if recent history has shown us anything, then he is more likely to go than stay.

Danny Ings has been excellent for us this season. No denying that. But his career has been blighted by serious injuries and he is only one nasty twist, turn or tackle away from the next one. If he got another serious injury that would probably be it for him and his value would be zero. 

What is Mo Salah worth in the current market? What is Aubameyang worth? Kane? Vardy? Aguero? Sterling? Jesus? Mane?  etc etc. The goals speak for themselves and he is up there with those guys right now based on this season's performances. If someone came in with a decent offer.........£75m - £100m I think we'd take it. I think we paid around £20m for him, so not a bad profit in 2 years. Only this time, (as with much of the VvD money) DON'T WASTE IT!....although I'm guessing some of the VvD money was used to buy Danny Ings so maybe not all wasted.

I don't want to see him leave - we need him - and obviously Covid19 may affect the market value of the players mentioned. I would also say he seems like a decent sort and in a sport normally bereft of much loyalty,  he might just want to stay with Saints to repay the faith we showed  in him and helped him resurrect his career following his injury hit time at Liverpool. 

But, as long as he's banging them in for Saints I'll be happy. 

2 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Surely we’d not be selling one of our best players ? 

....history might suggest otherwise. i would start throwing names out  of players we've sold since 2014....but I'm guessing you probably already know them! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hopefully the England talk doesn’t turn his head.

You'd think the smart move would be to stay at Saints where he has his place in the staring 11, affinity with the fans and suits Ralph’s tactics.

Would be better for him than sitting on the bench at Arsenal or United.

Mind you it’s easy for us to say that, we don’t often have situations where we are offered double/triple our wages to move jobs.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

He could win the golden boot as Vardy has scored only 3 goals in the last 19 matches and he’s leading by just one goal.

Would love Ings to tell the club he’s not interested in leaving.

Think i remember him saying him and salah are on a bet for top scorers

16 hours ago, Manuel said:

Get the feeling he's happy here.  The move has worked well for him.  Local lad.  Chance to get on the SWF banner.  He'll stay if you ask me.

I agree, mate. I think he is of the mentality that he tried it at a big club and got released. Down here, back in his local area, he is appreciated and has become a local hero.

Gao may recommend taking a high offer, but I don't think club management (Semmens, Ralph etc) will choose to do it this time. Danny is central to our play. Going to a big club, he won't get the starts, so he won't get the goals.

I genuinely don't think he would want to move now.

19 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I agree, mate. I think he is of the mentality that he tried it at a big club and got released. 

I don’t quite see it like that.

It didn’t work out because of injuries, part of him may feel it’s unfinished business. I doubt he’d turn either Manchester club, or Chelsea down. Whether they’d want him is clearly a different matter, but being a local hero and playing for his club may keep him out of an Everton or Newcastle, but won’t make much of a difference if Pep comes calling. Luckily none of the top tier of clubs look like a fit for him, or have people in place that he’ll clearly be a back up. However, If Spurs sold Kane I’d be worried, because Jose won’t give a shit about his age and he fits his work ethic totally. 

I feel he might be a bit like Bertrand, been at a big club already and has now found a settled place and is playing good football. Also have to remember he's basically back home now near his family and is playing for the club he supported as a kid. 

Plus I can't see anyone with the finances to sign him that would want to, Arsenal have no money apparently, Liverpool wouldn't shell out £50 million for Werner, Man Utd would want someone higher profile, as would city I think, Spurs have Kane. 

Maybe Leicester if they have have funds from Chilwell.  

Even if the Newcastle takeover happens I doubt that one, long way north and not really moving to club playing in Europe etc. it would take Newcastle probably at least 2-3 seasons before they were competing and Ings would be in his 30s by then so I think if titles and champs league football were in his mind now it's basically one of the top 4 now I think, plus maybe Utd. 

I guess the only person that will know what DI's true career aspirations are would be DI himself.

He looks as fit now as he's ever been in his career, which he deserves tremendous amount of credit for - but so does our medical team (and I'm fairly sure he's said this himself in the past too).  

He's back 'home' and is thriving in this environment. He starts every game when he's fit and fit's the system and Ralph's tactics down to the ground. I can't imagine he's being paid pittance here either (£70-80k a week?).

Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I'm not as worried about him leaving as I have been others in the past. With all the struggles he's had in recent years (not his fault), I'd like to think he would stay where it's working for him. 

A 2 year contract extension would go down nicely. 

Really don't think Danny will be leaving us any time soon. He's had his go with a top 6 club, it didn't work out unfortunately for him due to injury, but at least he was with them 3 years earning good money. Can't see him fitting in at Man U or City. I suppose one of the London clubs might be a possibility, but I reckon he realises the benefits of being at his home club, as long we stay in the PL I'm sure he will stay. He certainly wouldn't leave us for any non-Top 6 club. I think people seem to overlook that he is back home, and that means a lot to him. Personally I would like to have seen him as skipper but can understand why JWP has the armband now.

Shocked by the number of posters who think Ingsy will stay. 

This is football and we are Southampton. He is clearly too good us and his level of finishing wouldn't be out of place at any club in the league. When he's fit and confident, he's clinical. The first touch, control and ability to run with the ball makes him a serious threat and it's easy to see why he has scored so many times for us. Bigger clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Everton, Leicester will all know this and I would be shocked if at least one or two of them weren't keeping a close eye.

With regards to comments on him being a local lad - dream on! Lovely for Ingsy that he can spend a part of his career at him hometown club with his family nearby, but sooner or later he's going to want to move onto better things. He'll want to win trophies and he'll have his agent reminding him of this every time they meet. He's a guy whose had serious injuries and knows better than most the damage these can have on a career. The minute a bigger club shows interest, I cannot see any scenario that he stays. 

Then you throw in the fact we are the biggest selling club in the country - he won't be here long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No doubt he's a world class player so logic tells me there will be interest. Danny is enjoying his football at his boyhood club and suits our system perfectly so I'm hopeful he may be in less of a hurry to leave compared to others that have left in the past. Frankly, it's amazing we have such a player in our ranks and whatever happens will be a win-win for all parties.

13 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

If there’s one certain thing in football, if a player gets a better offer, he leaves.

and if Southampton get a good offer, they sell. 

Sadly this is the crux of the matter.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No doubt he's a world class player so logic tells me there will be interest. Danny is enjoying his football at his boyhood club and suits our system perfectly so I'm hopeful he may be in less of a hurry to leave compared to others that have left in the past. Frankly, it's amazing we have such a player in our ranks and whatever happens will be a win-win for all parties.

Not sure I agree with the win-win bit.

We are much better off with Ings than money that there is a huge doubt would be i.) fully spent or ii.) spent well to anywhere near replace what he brings.

Finding a striker who is a reliable goalscorer is pretty much the problem for all the midtable sides: Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Sheff Utd.

They are so valuable, let alone when its a 'homegrown' player in his prime.

32 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Yes, Leicester kept hold of Vardy and he wasn't even a Leicester fan. If our owners don't want to sell Ings, he'll stay.

That’s Leicester who had just won the league and we’re playing the following season  in the champions league. Not Southampton who will finish mid table. 

50 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Not sure I agree with the win-win bit.

We are much better off with Ings than money that there is a huge doubt would be i.) fully spent or ii.) spent well to anywhere near replace what he brings.

Finding a striker who is a reliable goalscorer is pretty much the problem for all the midtable sides: Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Sheff Utd.

They are so valuable, let alone when its a 'homegrown' player in his prime.

As you say, a great striker is like gold dust which is why we'd only be losing him for the sort of money that would hugely benefit the club. Obiously, every buy is a gamble which is why I think we're all in agreement we'd prefer him to stay.

Edited by Disco Stu

Obviously we all want him to stay. If a big club want him, and can offer CL football then frankly he deserves it. I'm not sure there is an opening yet at a suitable club, but things change.

I doubt it is all about money for Danny, although that's a factor, he'll want to test himself against the best in the world.

He only signed a 3 year contract in 2019. So 2 years to go. No way will the club allow his contract to wither. Either he signs an extensio,  or they sell for an obscene amount. That will be the story next year.

Best scenario is that we keep him for another year. However with Euros and WC coming up he'll want to keep his profile high.

I've come to terms with players moving on, it's their job. Still hurts though.

I doubt he has any great emotional attachment to Saints. The club let him go in 2008. And hasn't he made that decision look foolish.

7 hours ago, Born In The 80s said:

This is football and we are Southampton. He is clearly too good us and his level of finishing wouldn't be out of place at any club in the league. When he's fit and confident, he's clinical. The first touch, control and ability to run with the ball makes him a serious threat and it's easy to see why he has scored so many times for us. Bigger clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Everton, Leicester will all know this and I would be shocked if at least one or two of them weren't keeping a close eye.

With regards to comments on him being a local lad - dream on! Lovely for Ingsy that he can spend a part of his career at him hometown club with his family nearby, but sooner or later he's going to want to move onto better things. He'll want to win trophies and he'll have his agent reminding him of this every time they meet. He's a guy whose had serious injuries and knows better than most the damage these can have on a career. The minute a bigger club shows interest, I cannot see any scenario that he stays. 

Then you throw in the fact we are the biggest selling club in the country - he won't be here long. 

Everton? Leicester? 😂

Neither of those clubs are bigger than us... here is the definition of "big club". There are just 6 of them.

spacer.png 

Win trophies? It's not like the club he joined us from have won anything lately is it? And "a guy whose had serious injuries and knows better than most the damage these can have on a career" is more likely to appreciate being fit and playing well for the club he supports, especially after already having been at one of those big clubs, indeed the one that has been winning everything and play in a way that actually suits him. So why risk potentially destabilizing a career that is finally on the right track just to make a move that is a step down from where he already was before.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Born In The 80s said:

IMO to sell Ings you'd need multiple criteria to be met -

1. We wouldn't sell Ings unless we received a huge fee, upwards of £50 million, probably more like £60-70 million.

2. The club that would be buying him would therefore needs funds to do that and would need to have a need to spend that much on a striker.

3. Ings is 28, if we was to move clubs now, I reckon he would want someone playing regularly in the champions league and challenging for trophies now, not a club rebuilding or a project. 

Everton are ruled out by 3, they are are a mess and a mid table club, they have massive problems with a huge wage bill and  have loads of deadwood to shift like us.  They are not going to be challenging for top 4 in the next two years at least (if ever)

Chelsea have just spent £54 million on a new striker and gave Giroud a new deal I think, plus have Abraham.

Leicester have Vardy and probably can't afford that sort of fee without selling. 

Spurs have no money and have Kane. 

Arsenal apparently have no money and have problems all over the pitch, but have two good strikers. (plus promising young forwards as well)

Can't see Man City buying him as they don't need strikers either.

Chelsea have just bought Werner. 

The only realistic one is Man Utd IMO, but I can see them sticking with Rashford and Martial and improving other areas. 

Clubs across Europe can't afford him, aside the super clubs and I doubt Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern and PSG etc. are queuing up for Danny Ings, he's not that good. 

Whilst yes if someone wants him that is better than us and they stump up a big fee, he is likely to go, but IMO at the moment and for the forseeable future the club that can afford to spend £60 million on a striker, needs a striker and is playing champs league I don't think exists. 

Edited by tajjuk
Mentioned Arsenal twice

43 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

IMO to sell Ings you'd need multiple criteria to be met -

1. We wouldn't sell Ings unless we received a huge fee, upwards of £50 million, probably more like £60-70 million.

2. The club that would be buying him would therefore needs funds to do that and would need to have a need to spend that much on a striker.

3. Ings is 28, if we was to move clubs now, I reckon he would want someone playing regularly in the champions league and challenging for trophies now, not a club rebuilding or a project. 

Everton are ruled out by 3, they are are a mess and a mid table club, they have massive problems with a huge wage bill and  have loads of deadwood to shift like us.  They are not going to be challenging for top 4 in the next two years at least (if ever)

Arsenal have no money and have two top strikers anyway. 

Chelsea have just spent £54 million on a new striker and gave Giroud a new deal I think, plus have Abraham.

Leicester have Vardy and probably can't afford that sort of fee without selling. 

Spurs have no money and have Kane. 

Arsenal apparently have no money and have problems all over the pitch, but have two good strikers. (plus promising young forwards as well)

Can't see Man City buying him as they don't need strikers either.

Chelsea have just bought Werner. 

The only realistic one is Man Utd IMO, but I can see them sticking with Rashford and Martial and improving other areas. 

Clubs across Europe can't afford him, aside the super clubs and I doubt Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern and PSG etc. are queuing up for Danny Ings, he's not that good. 

Whilst yes if someone wants him that is better than us and they stump up a big fee, he is likely to go, but IMO at the moment and for the forseeable future the club that can afford to spend £60 million on a striker, needs a striker and is playing champs league I don't think exists. 

I think this is right - it's not quite as straightforward as the facile "we're a selling club we sell everyone he's gone" response we're seeing from some on here.

The main thing we need to fear is incredibly rich clubs panicking and offering money that neither the club or the player can turn down. Mainly Newcastle with Arab money looking to makes some statement signings. Maybe a desperate Manchester United at the end of a transfer window panic buying. Everton for a similar reason.

He's having a great season but I don't think he is of a calibre that the biggest clubs in the world/country are going to be interested in for the fee that would be required. I don't think for a minute he would be of particular interest to Man City or Chelsea etc.

I'd like to think Danny will use this to get himself another year on the contract, a bigger piece of the image rights/merch pie, a pay rise - plus at the same time maintain the stability, squad status and the manager that have helped him get to the brink of the Euros squad. Plus on top of that if he stays he locks himself in as a loyal club legend. Not convinced he would see pitching up to "start again" at Newcastle or Everton as being the greatest move for him.

I still fear the crazy money but balance of probabilities I think he is more likely to stay than go.

Edited by CB Fry

11 hours ago, Cartman said:

Everton? Leicester? 😂

Neither of those clubs are bigger than us... here is the definition of "big club". There are just 6 of them.

spacer.png 

Win trophies? It's not like the club he joined us from have won anything lately is it? And "a guy whose had serious injuries and knows better than most the damage these can have on a career" is more likely to appreciate being fit and playing well for the club he supports, especially after already having been at one of those big clubs, indeed the one that has been winning everything and play in a way that actually suits him. So why risk potentially destabilizing a career that is finally on the right track just to make a move that is a step down from where he already was before.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ings won anything at Liverpool. In fact, I don't think he has won anything in his career. Strongly suspect he and his agent have ambitions to change that.

Regarding you laugh at my suggestion of Everton and Leicester being bigger than us: one of them is managed by one of the world's top coaches; the other won the premier league and will be playing in the Champions League next year. Keep laughing if you want, but both are significantly bigger clubs than we are currently. 

20 hours ago, Born In The 80s said:

Piffle, absolute piffle.

He's the #1 striker here; he would be a benchwarmer-cum-sub at a big club. And we're not a big selling club any more; we can pay our way now; this isn't 2010.

• Haha 1