Club website and keeping the fans updated

Fitzhugh Fella

Have I missed the website informing us that the option on Danso has not been taken up and that not only has he returned to his parent club but he has gone out on loan again?

I am intrigued the club don't think this sort of updating is of interest. And while on the subject it would be nice to be updated on the progress of some of our "forgotten" players such as Sam McQueen. Back in the day you could rely on the Echo to fill in all the missing detail, the nitty gritty if you like, but now we are destined to be kept in the dark and having to rely on outside sources.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Have I missed the website informing us that the option on Danso has not been taken up and that not only has he returned to his parent club but he has gone out on loan again?

I am intrigued the club don't think this sort of updating is of interest. And while on the subject it would be nice to be updated on the progress of some of our "forgotten" players such as Sam McQueen. Back in the day you could rely on the Echo to fill in all the missing detail, the nitty gritty if you like, but now we are destined to be kept in the dark and having to rely on outside sources.

Correct on Danso.  Wasn’t ever any acknowledgment.

Did anyone get the fans survey by email the other day? In one of the free comment boxes I mentioned the fact that some of the info on the website is outdated. 

There's no real excuse for them not to mention every player movement in and out and keep the profiles up to date.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Agreed. The club should be giving us daily updates on all these important issues. I am outraged that we haven’t had an update on if we are going to be retaining the services of a player who hasn’t made an appearance for months. Personally I’m furious that I haven’t heard at all about how Kanye Ramseys loan spell at Shrewsbury has been going. They really do hold us in contempt don’t they 

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. The club should be giving us daily updates on all these important issues. I am outraged that we haven’t had an update on if we are going to be retaining the services of a player who hasn’t made an appearance for months. Personally I’m furious that I haven’t heard at all about how Kanye Ramseys loan spell at Shrewsbury has been going. They really do hold us in contempt don’t they 

I'm more upset that you hadn't provided any updates on Danso and Ramsey.

Get a grip. FFS.

52 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Did anyone get the fans survey by email the other day? In one of the free comment boxes I mentioned the fact that some of the info on the website is outdated. 

There's no real excuse for them not to mention every player movement in and out and keep the profiles up to date.

I got that too. They seemed more interested in women’s football than anything else.

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it was assumed that everyone knew Danso was returning, what with the links to Salisu and the fact Danso couldn't even get a sniff of a game.

He wasn't really worth an article as he did nothing here and most forgot we even had him.

Not an article, just be informed he wasn’t signing permanently would suffice. Belt and braces sort of stuff I suppose. 

Just now, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Not an article, just be informed he wasn’t signing permanently would suffice. Belt and braces sort of stuff I suppose. 

That's exactly what we need. Takes 5 minutes to knock out a few short paragraphs. 

I have at least a passing interest in every player that's made an appearance for the club, even if it was 10 minutes as sub in a League cup match. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

To be fair, there is usually a retained list put on the website. I haven't seen one this year, that's where you'd usually see that sort of info. Players we're keeping/renewing contracts (usually U23's) and then player's we're letting go at the end of their contracts or loans.

I think this whole COVID thing has thrown little bits out like that. 

Edited by S-Clarke

56 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair, there is usually a retained list put on the website. I haven't seen one this year, that's where you'd usually see that sort of info. Players we're keeping/renewing contracts (usually U23's) and then player's we're letting go at the end of their contracts or loans.

I think this whole COVID thing has thrown little bits out like that. 

There was no retained list published on the OS last season either so I think you are being a little generous attributing this to COVID.  A list was published on the PL website so we heard about it, but nowhere on the OS did we announce which players had been released or who was being retained. Eventually, in early July 2019, there were some details announced about contract extension for players who would otherwise have been out of contract but that was it - the club never acknowledged the departure of the out of contract players who were not offered new contracts.  It wasn't until autumn 2019 that the U23 and U18 OS profiles were updated to reflect summer departures and arrivals.  The same thing has happened this season (except we still haven't been given details of contract extensions for those being retained) so I think a policy of restricting information about the development squad players must now be regarded as the norm. 

Edited by Over land and sea

The website is really poor for exclusive information in my opinion. I don't really go on there anymore, all news gets posted onto here, which I'm fine with. The website's decline has coincided with the Daily Echo's as well, both were go to websites for good information three or four years ago, but I think the rise of social media has made both less important. Even signings and new contracts we know a good few days before they are officially announced these days.

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The website is really poor for exclusive information in my opinion. I don't really go on there anymore, all news gets posted onto here, which I'm fine with. The website's decline has coincided with the Daily Echo's as well, both were go to websites for good information three or four years ago, but I think the rise of social media has made both less important. Even signings and new contracts we know a good few days before they are officially announced these days.

On the signings front, I think 'officially' announced is the key.

The club won't use their channels to announce anything like which isn't 100%. The media may get a sniff that it's proposed/it might happen, but the club won't comment until pen is on paper. I think that's fair. If the OS had a gossip column, like other sites, i think it's a bit shit - and pretty disrespectful too. Liverpool had one a few years back (they might still have it)

Edited by S-Clarke

It has been ridiculous really. I’m not asking for a free service, but what’s the website for? Just make it into a Saints shop and provide no news if you want, but it’s so far behind other reporting that it’s not worth bothering with. It doesn’t even provide official confirmation of breaking news a day or two later. Do it properly or bin it.

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

You're right to mock faux outrage but from a journalistic standpoint the club/OS could do a whole lot better with way more in depth pieces on a whole range of issues. Whether you'd be interested in those pieces is besides the point. FF is a paying customer making clear what content he wishes to consume from the club, and he won't be the only one. Step it up Saints, not only with flashy videos on Twitter

Edited by niceandfriendly

56 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I seriously doubt the website is a priority for them in the age of social media.

But they still find time to write four articles saying the same thing when there is a big news story.  It doesn't need to be a priority - just keeping basic info up to date and putting a short factual piece on the site (or even its Twitter page) notifying arrivals and departures and contract extensions. I accept that many people don't use the OS and those that do don't rely on it as much as they once did.  But it ought to be a reliable source for those that do.  if you are a journo, for example, researching info about the club's squad/players for a pre-season summary, do you go to Wiki or the the OS for that info?  Ironically, if you are a journo that knows their stuff, in the case of Saints, it's Wiki - but that can't be right. 

31 minutes ago, Nolan said:

They should at least remove players that have left.

There really is no excuse for Danso and O'Driscoll to still be listed on the First Team and U23 team pages.

Plus Kornelius Hansen (who left in advance of the retained list being finalised), Jacob Maddox, Marcus Barnes, Alex Cull, Harlem Hale, Simon Kozak, Christian Norton and at least 4 of the U18s.  It surely wouldn't be that difficult to reinstate last season's loaned out players either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

I seriously doubt the website is a priority for them in the age of social media.

The club took a decision a while back to limit the exclusives it gave to third party media and instead focused on providing news direct to fans/customers from its own website. It most certainly was a priority and I'd be surprised if they have changed that philosophy.  Traffic to the site is important for sponsors/advertisers - perhaps with our current sponsor that is no longer important? 

20 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Fans are important stakeholders of the Club and there is no reason why they should not have access to this sort of information.

I doubt it is being withheld. Mark it down more likely as a lack of initiative and/or laziness on the part of individuals charged with supporter relations or PR. This is one area where the Club can, should and must do much better. Too many idle people "working from home" may be a factor.