Jump to content

Hampshire Cricket Club 2022


John B
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Thought Abbas was only with us the first two months.

Would be amazing to get him back towards the end of the season. 

I think the issue with Abbas is you can only have a certain among of overseas players registered across all formats. So with the T20 going on we are at our limit. So hopefully back once T20 over. I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere...but don’t quote me on it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good start for Hants, Essex 5 down at lunch. As far as the Championship is concerned we'll need to make a big score when we bat because Surrey already have 133 on the board at Lunch and are probably heading for maximum batting points again. Championship could well be decided by bonus points and deductions for slow over rate, of which we already have had 2 points deducted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Our annual Chelmsford train-wreck.

A total crap day yesterday especially the batting.

With Surrey running away with it at Kent then we need to turn this around somehow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So at lunch Essex are 120 ahead with 3 wickets down, 2 to Organ and one, with the last ball before lunch, to Dawson.   A bit of hitting from our late middle order managed to restrict the Essex lead to 75.  Trouble is, the wicket looks to be turning irregularily and any target over 175 we might restrict them to could be hard to get.  Two and a half days of rain all down the eastern side of England might be our best option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

So at lunch Essex are 120 ahead with 3 wickets down, 2 to Organ and one, with the last ball before lunch, to Dawson.   A bit of hitting from our late middle order managed to restrict the Essex lead to 75.  Trouble is, the wicket looks to be turning irregularily and any target over 175 we might restrict them to could be hard to get.  Two and a half days of rain all down the eastern side of England might be our best option.

There is no chance of us getting 300 to win, so rain is our only hope of avoiding defeat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep - if they have any kind of decent spinners we are in trouble. That said Twice Essex’s tail has amassed them a load of runs so if (they won’t) but if any of our batsmen get themselves in there is a chance. Need our openers to actually see off the new ball first mins…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Yep - if they have any kind of decent spinners we are in trouble. That said Twice Essex’s tail has amassed them a load of runs so if (they won’t) but if any of our batsmen get themselves in there is a chance. Need our openers to actually see off the new ball first mins…

Simon Harmer only managed 8 wickets in our first innings.

Edited by badgerx16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As they gave the new ball to a seamer at one end and Harmer at t'other, the new ball presents less of a problem pace wise.  Didn't look too wobbly in the final overs but that's probably more by luck than judgement. Now if we could get to say  a hundred or so with only one down, things might look a bit different. We only need about one and a half an over so just no silly shots and let's see what happens.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Difference in this game was the tail - we couldn’t get Essex tailenders out and that gave them 100 or so more runs. Also we clearly can’t play Harmer given his 14 wickets…all that after our openers had finally laid a decent foundation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very revealing post-match interview by James Vince on the Hampshire CCC website. He’s obviously extremely pissed off about some of the officiating in this match. Sour grapes some might say, but leaving aside the question as to whether or not it contravenes regulations to prepare a pitch so obviously in favour of spinners, and also turning a blind eye to some extremely dubious umpiring decisions given against Hampshire, how on earth can it be right that Essex were allowed to exchange the ball for a newer, harder one 30 odd overs into our second innings?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Lost by 12 runs !!!

Probably shouldn't have. All that rififi with the ball seemed to work in the favour of Essex and I thought, although you can't tell perfectly from the stream, that we got a couple of bad umpiring decisions again.  Sooner or later there'll have to be a review process in County Cricket, thought Dawson and Brown were hard done by, to the contrary of their tubby chap yesterday, not given when he looked plumb in front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently the highest successful run chase by a visiting team at Chelmsford, since Simon Harmer joined Essex, is 2.

One claim about the ball changing is that they lost 2 with Felix Organ hitting balls out of the ground and into the river.

Edited by badgerx16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Balls have to be changed when then get lost or go out of shape or get damaged in other ways, which seems to be happening a lot this season. What Vince appeared to be saying was that the replacement ball—the one not long after Organ’s dismissal—was palpably newer and harder than the old one, which, if correct, would obviously give Harmer an advantage. Cue a clatter of wickets shortly afterwards. 

All academic now, of course, along with the dodgy umpiring decisions (even the Essex commentator seemed embarrassed by the one given against Brown in the first innings). Just annoying that another 13 runs would have given us sixteen points, which could make such a difference come the end of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Halo Stickman said:

Just annoying that another 13 runs would have given us sixteen points, which could make such a difference come the end of the season.

Looks like Kent are going to hold out for a draw against Surrey, so 16 points would have put us..........well I suppose there's no point going on about it now, especially as there's no sort of review process for travesties like some of the umpiring in our game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Picard said:

If Glos win with a good run rate advantage Hants are as good as out of it.

Oh dear, what a pity,  never mind.   We can get shot of the two aussies and get another overseas player in for the Championship matches.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first half of our innings I thought we’d be lucky to make a hundred and be beaten inside 12 overs. Thankfully; 1 - Fuller and 2 - Didn’t we bowl.

I guess with our NRR it’s going to be down to Hawks/Essex for third.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The first half of our innings I thought we’d be lucky to make a hundred and be beaten inside 12 overs. Thankfully; 1 - Fuller and 2 - Didn’t we bowl.

I guess with our NRR it’s going to be down to Hawks/Essex for third.

We'll be 4th, play against the Bears at Egbaston in the quarters. Essex are playing Glamorgan I think and even though Somerset play Surrey our NRR is too low to hope to go past them, even if they lose. Unless of course Somerset get a real drubbing, but I don't see that happening.

Still Hants are something of the form team of the moment, won 8 out of the last 9.  

Edited by Window Cleaner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was going to post something when Hampshire were averaging 3 an over in the power play and just lost Vince and McD but this Hampshire team seem to be able to read wickets well. Prest took a crucial wicket and run out and Fuller continues to be excellent - everyone seems to contribute although Whitely remains in horrible Nick - given he’s just a short game players who only bats he’s having a shocking season so far. but if he scored a ton in the quarters all will be forgiven !!. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

We'll be 4th, play against the Bears at Egbaston in the quarters. Essex are playing Glamorgan I think and even though Somerset play Surrey our NRR is too low to hope to go past them, even if they lose. Unless of course Somerset get a real drubbing, but I don't see that happening.

Still Hants are something of the form team of the moment, won 8 out of the last 9.  

Yes, 4th it is (Essex are pulverising Glamorgan as we speak). But finishing 4th with a match to spare is pretty impressive after that 0-4 start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough tough game - their nrr is huge so they’ve obviously thrashed a few. That said as you say they have lost as many as we have and finished with a loss tonight. Wonder if they’ll have a spin friendly pitch with Lintott and Briggs, and we also know all about Stirling and Davies from the hundred. Apparently it’ll be this Thursday…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Tough tough game - their nrr is huge so they’ve obviously thrashed a few. That said as you say they have lost as many as we have and finished with a loss tonight. Wonder if they’ll have a spin friendly pitch with Lintott and Briggs, and we also know all about Stirling and Davies from the hundred. Apparently it’ll be this Thursday…

Bear's NRR comes from 2 monster wins against Northants and Worcs. Both sides only scored about 80 whereas the Bears made big scores, obviously batting first.

They beat Northants by about 120 in what looks like a 16 over game and Worcs by about 140 in a regular 20 over affair. No wonder they haf such a positive NRR.

The rest of their games the scores look fairly even.

We have every chance as long as our openers get us off to a decent start and Wheal and Fuller don't concede as many runs as they did yesterday. What's the score with Ellis? Was he rested, injured or some sort of availabily problem with the Australian board ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Picard said:

Amusing Surrey lost their 1/4 final after their performances this year. Couldn't get 5 in the last over. Glad to see there is hope for the underdog.

It's not even like they had a couple of tail-enders at the crease who'd just been put in. Quite the bottle job at the end, if nothing else you'd hope Hawks had much more experience of dealing with pressure from a few of the group games and needing to win nearly every game after the terrible start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lost our way at the end there - couldn’t play Braithwaites very wide Yorkers at all. Think we may be 10-15 runs short there given their batting line up but let’s see…

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To dismantle as good a batting side as that, in their own back yard is outstanding. Ellis, Fuller and Wheal looked incredibly dangerous. Also pleased that Weatherly got a good knock in when we were wobbling a bit after a very quick start. Finals day again !!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see Somerset have got their wordly performance out of the way before our semi-final.

Did Rossouw ever have a season like this when playing for Hampshire?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hants vs Somerset, second match on finals day.

When was the last time Hants were in the first match? It seems playing first is a bit of an advantage, giving the winner a longer rest before the final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Hants vs Somerset, second match on finals day.

When was the last time Hants were in the first match? It seems playing first is a bit of an advantage, giving the winner a longer rest before the final.

And a look at the oppo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})