Hampshire Cricket Club 2022

John B

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I had to watch it a couple of times to realise they actually got a bye off the free hit. McDermott running the length of the wicket to plough everything down.

No run out recorded by the look of it, so can only assume the umpire had called a dead ball when the keeper had taken the bails off and Lancashire had stopped running.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

No run out recorded by the look of it, so can only assume the umpire had called a dead ball when the keeper had taken the bails off and Lancashire had stopped running.

Must have done. Gleason ran well beyond the wicket when McD took the bails off and he got to the non-strikers end well before Hartley (who gave him a petulant barge for good measure).

Little bit of whinging by Lancs on the final ball.  Have to say it’s a bit ridiculous to suggest they ran a legitimate two….

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/t20-blast-final-2022-lancashire-argue-final-ball-umpiring-error-cost-them-t20-blast-title-1325115

Edit: having watched the highlights again, it looks like McDermott has both the ball and one of the stumps in his hand at the bowlers end before the batsman completes the second run, so would have been a run out even if the umpires hadn’t dead balled it

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we’re doing John Cleese quotes; that ball is dead, it has ceased to be, it is no more. Bereft of life, it has shuffled off the wicket of life and joined the choir invisible. It has passed on and if you hadn’t nailed it to the stumps it’d be pushing up the daisies.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Little bit of whinging by Lancs on the final ball.  Have to say it’s a bit ridiculous to suggest they ran a legitimate two….

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/t20-blast-final-2022-lancashire-argue-final-ball-umpiring-error-cost-them-t20-blast-title-1325115

Edit: having watched the highlights again, it looks like McDermott has both the ball and one of the stumps in his hand at the bowlers end before the batsman completes the second run, so would have been a run out even if the umpires hadn’t dead balled it

I don't think it reflects well on them. I mean running a second when the ball is in the hands of the wicket keeper!

• Like 1

An email to the players

To you all...
I first walked into the doors of Hampshire cricket in 1977, when a few of us kids helped run the old score board at Northlands Rd during the B&H Cup semi-final, which we lost to the great Mike Procter, who took 4 wickets in 5 balls to knock over our much vaunted top order and kill off our dreams. 
I was lucky enough to captain the side at Lord's 11 years later, our first Cup Final, which we won. For 18 years I played a small part in the story and have followed it closely - if from afar - ever since. Last night I believe I saw Hampshire's greatest ever performance: one that filled me with excitement, happiness and pride.
You guys, almost literally, pulled off a miracle under extreme pressure. You were led by the most outstanding captain and inspired by a self-belief and togetherness that must be the envy of every opponent. 
The culture created from the Chairman to the boot room was clear for all to see.
Congratulations...your contribution to the legacy of this wonderful club may be matched but never bettered than throughout yesterday when you showed Hampshire to the cricket world in the best possible light...the spirit and joy of the game shone brightly and the memory will live with us all for all time.
God knows what state I'll be in if you win the Championship!
All good wishes 
Mark Nicholas

• Like 10

Short day today, good start though.   Glos live stream very odd, the angle of the camera is such that the non-striking batter blocks the line of view to the actual batter , so you can't really see the shots that are played or any lbw or caught behind incidents..

Back to the short day, never seen that before so how does it work viz a viz bonus points etc ?  Means 24 overs less in a day.

Edited by Window Cleaner

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Back to the county championship. We're batting first, which seems like a good idea today given the heat!  Going to be exhausting bowling today

Finishing at 16:30 today because of the heat. 90 min sessions. I see Graham Lloyd is umpiring.

13 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Short day today, good start though.   Glos live stream very odd, the angle of the camera is such that the non-striking batter blocks the line of view to the actual batter , so you can't really see the shots that are played or any lbw or caught behind incidents..

Back to the short day, never seen that before so how does it work viz a viz bonus points etc ?  Means 24 overs less in a day.

They are catching up on subsequent days.  Adding an extra 30mins to each day. Not sure if that means they are starting earlier or finishing later though

22 hours ago, Barsiem said:

They are catching up on subsequent days.  Adding an extra 30mins to each day. Not sure if that means they are starting earlier or finishing later though

Finishing later, it seems. Started at 11 today, with 104 overs to be bowled.

Felix Organ has a century, still can't get a handle on whether he's good or not, seems to be such an "all or nothing" batsman. Need to kick on a bit here though, batting points likely to be important.

1 hour ago, allmycolours said:

Does anybody have a recording of T20 Blast Finals Day or know anywhere online where i might be able to watch it. I was unable to see any of it due to a double bereavement and would love to be able to watch it to cheer myself up.

Thanks.

There is a highlights video on skysports.com.

Annoying as it is you have to doff your cap to Surrey. In an awful mess they ended up with a 50 odd lead with Essex 2 down. Incidentally Will Jacks family live just down the road from me - he’s having a good season. As for Hampshire, not bothered about that collapse as time is against them so need to look to get Gloucestershire to follow on. Bigger question is who can take points off Surrey - as we can’t !!.

4 hours ago, allmycolours said:

Does anybody have a recording of T20 Blast Finals Day or know anywhere online where i might be able to watch it. I was unable to see any of it due to a double bereavement and would love to be able to watch it to cheer myself up.

Thanks.

<iframe width="956" height="538" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NUuagPfOJXo" title="THRILLING Final Ends In Amazing Drama! | Lancashire v Hampshire - Highlights | Vitality Blast 2022" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Final highlights - and sorry for your loss 

Edited by 31cc

Bowled Gloucestershire out for 201, enforcing the follow-on, and they're already 14/2.

Elsewhere, Essex had Surrey right where they (and we) wanted them in the first innings at 112/7 and 167/8 but Will Jacks got 150* to see them to 319, and Essex are 186/9 in their second, a lead of 138. Bit of rain forecast around lunchtime tomorrow, but otherwise that looks like another Surrey win. :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

Stubborn resistance from Glos middle order in their second innings. Aided no doubt by the light which compelled us to use the spinners for most of the session after tea.

Hants probably don't need to mess about too much this morning, need to break their 5th wicket stand quickly because I don't think the weather forecast is any too great from about 3 onwards.

2 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

The bigger question for me with Surrey is how on earth they manage to get within the salary cap with the squad they have

Didn't know there is a salary cap.   How much is it?   Anyway there are always "creative payroll" systems to take care of salary caps.  Sort of like Saracens I expect. 

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

Making extremely hard work of this. We might even be throwing it away.  3 dropped catches and frankly the bowling isn't all that great.

Kyle Abbott hat-trick either side of lunch and now a 4th. Should win from here.

It's raining in Scarborough at the moment, and we've got a poor outlook for tomorrow but it's looking better for the rest of the week. May be a 3 day match... 

Yorkshire have had a lot of draws this season, but they gave Surrey a scare up here a couple of weeks ago, so Hants will need to be at the top of their game.

Edited by 31cc
speeling
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 10:46, Barsiem said:

As we have no Cricket Defectors Watch thread I’ll leave this here 

congrats to him! Shame it didn’t work out but he never set the world alight here tbh

The declaration that denied him a chance to beat Lara's record worked out in the end: his team beat Leicestershire by an innings, even though hapless Leicestershire scored 584 in their first innings!

29 for 5, can think of worse ways to spend a Monday than watching Hampshire absolutely flattening Yorkshire with a beer in hand! A few showers passing to the South but still OK here so far 👌 

• Like 1