Hampshire Cricket Club 2022

John B

19 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

This was discussed a bit during the commentary. The opinion seemed to be that ditching players who got you to the final wouldn't be cricket.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though, particularily those who haven't had great success.  Maybe Vince or Weatherley for say Donald .  Still there a lot of games still to go before any eventual final.

Yes certainly the kids who've done so well (Prest, Albert and some of the bowlers) don't deserve to be dropped. But Donald hasn't done much, so him and one or two others to make way for Vince, Dawson and Fuller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Window Cleaner said:

The opinion seemed to be that ditching players who got you to the final wouldn't be cricket.

This is my view.  You can’t just parachute players in for a single game.

Some people were moaning about this after finals day, saying they were missing England players.  When I asked whether those players played much in getting their team to finals day though they were curiously silent 😂

5 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Some people were moaning about this after finals day, saying they were missing England players.  When I asked whether those players played much in getting their team to finals day though they were curiously silent 😂

Lancs just can't get over losing that final can they !  There was still a bit of residual needle in the game today.

I see that Brave cruised to another defeat again this evening. Vince scoring like a tortoise. They probably won't make the knock-out stage.

Edited by Window Cleaner
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Barsiem said:

I remember Hampshire doing that for a Lord's final about 15 years or so ago. Got to the final, a certain Kevin Pietersen was made available and he duly came into the side. Nicked off first ball, thanks for coming, Kev.

Brave look done so chance Vince might play in latter stages instead of Donald for instance. Not quite sure how it happened but Braves bowling attack was Lintott, a half fit Garton, Fuller, Stoinis, a 41 yr old Hogan and a 17 year old spinner. No wonder two batsmen have smashed record breaking hundreds against them in the last 2 games. That said the all star batting line up have yet to get beyond 138 so not giving the bowlers much to defend. damp squib…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Brave look done so chance Vince might play in latter stages instead of Donald for instance. Not quite sure how it happened but Braves bowling attack was Lintott, a half fit Garton, Fuller, Stoinis, a 41 yr old Hogan and a 17 year old spinner. No wonder two batsmen have smashed record breaking hundreds against them in the last 2 games. That said the all star batting line up have yet to get beyond 138 so not giving the bowlers much to defend. damp squib…

Should be getting replacements for missing players but I don't know if there are any good bowlers available.

I'll be going on Tuesday, looking forward to it. Will be nicely competitive with Yorks having it all to play for, but think Hants have got too much in the tank for the tykes, and they also know the ground having played up here last month.

On 19/08/2022 at 16:52, Window Cleaner said:

Poor all round. Didn't score enough, bowled too short throughout their innings, got hammered by a second teamer, lost.

Will need to do much better on Sunday.

The bowling was not much better on Sunday but was helped by the Essex early order trying to score quickly and getting themselves out

Apart from Organ there was no one who bowled tightly in the last 20 overs

Having the Championship openers coming in at 7 and 8 proved to be a good tactic as both Holland and Organ batted really well

All the other batters apart from Middleton  performed well enough although some of their dismals were driven by mild panic and I was pleased that Donald contributed a decent innings before embarking on a very rash run.

But I really enjoyed the game in the sun over 500 runs almost 100 overs and the result in the balance until the 95 th over was well worth the £11 my brother paid for my ticket

Suspense packed day in our group tomorrow.  Hants need to beat Yorks to secure first place, Yorks need to beat Hants to get third place.  Kent need to beat Lancs to qualify for the knock-out games, provided that is that Yorks don't beat Hants, and Lancs , like us, need to win their game to go directly into the semis. Weather forecast seems to be neutral, overcast but mainly dry at both grounds. Quite looking forward to the contest myself, if we could stop the short stuff and leg side wides, that would be a bonus.

Good effort in the end, although still feel like we left a fair few runs out there in the last 10 overs or so. Overs 30-40 went for 105/1, I think, but gave away wickets later on trying to hit everything over the ropes.

Need to bowl tight lines here, any width will go to the boundary in both directions.

Great innings by a few, but Donald in particular has given us a great chance.  Seems like all the players have made important contributions at some point in the group stages

On commentary they were saying that Hants are missing 11 1st teamers for this comp (8 to the Hundred, and 3 more who are red ball only). Quite incredible how they’ve performed to date!  

• Like 1

Not strictly the right thread but onto franchise cricket and the brave. Surely the idea behind it is to get a load of stars to excite the new cricket watching generation. Not sure a bowling attack of Sterling, Fuller, Hogan, Ahmed, Lintott and someone called Sonny Baker was the plan. That attack would finish bottom in the T20 !. To be fair they are doing all right - and I love watching Sterling , proper old school. 

12 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Not strictly the right thread but onto franchise cricket and the brave. Surely the idea behind it is to get a load of stars to excite the new cricket watching generation. Not sure a bowling attack of Sterling, Fuller, Hogan, Ahmed, Lintott and someone called Sonny Baker was the plan. That attack would finish bottom in the T20 !. To be fair they are doing all right - and I love watching Sterling , proper old school. 

Attack would have looked a lot better with archer, mills, garton & Jordan. Still managed to beat one of the infirm teams tho. Thought Fuller and hogan were both excellent last night tbh.

13 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

310 for 9 off of 50

Probably be enough.  Good start, got bogged down a bit in the middle (well only 5 an over that is) and then we saw some pretty innovative batting from Albert and Organ, including a sort of reverse pull from Albert that went for 4.  Must be noted that 4 of our batters got out to reverse sweeps, 2 bowled, 2 lbw. 

No commentary on the stream today, well at least on my stream, what's that about then ?  Strike, price of gas or Sky diffusion ? 

52 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Probably be enough.  Good start, got bogged down a bit in the middle (well only 5 an over that is) and then we saw some pretty innovative batting from Albert and Organ, including a sort of reverse pull from Albert that went for 4.  Must be noted that 4 of our batters got out to reverse sweeps, 2 bowled, 2 lbw. 

No commentary on the stream today, well at least on my stream, what's that about then ?  Strike, price of gas or Sky diffusion ? 

Commentary on BBC site. You then have to try to synch it.