Hampshire Cricket Club 2022

John B

Absolute scorcher there this afternoon, and an excellent all-round performance.

Kent are rubbish, but you've still got to put them away, so fair play to Gubbins, Prest and Albert for taking advantage. The only (very minor) criticism I might level at Prest - and ultimately it really didn't matter anyway - was that the last few overs when 400 became a very doable total, he wasn't playing the proper shots that had got him beyond 150, he was trying to hit every ball as hard as he could without much of a base, but he's young and I'm sure he'll analyse those last few balls of his innings in terms of maintaining his composure. He could even have got to 200 himself.

A ridiculous win from nowhere! Already one trophy in the bag, could manage a double if the one day form carries on and we can get more of the first team involved! 
then we have an outside chance at the championship too at the end of summer!

if you count the Southern vipers and brave too, what a time to be a Hampshire cricket fan!! 

• Like 1

Just arrived back home after the match. A rare treat to see Hampshire here on the South Island. It was sizzling hot at Newclose - there is no shade to be found anywhere in the ground and when Northants were 177-5 and cruising to an easy victory most of us in the crowd were wishing Northants would just get on with it and put us out of our misery allowing us could all get to the beach for a cooling swim. What followed was a fall of 5 wickets for 11 runs. Amazing.

As others have said, what a surprise!

• Like 1

Great day out with a few friends in corporate hospitality (we paid our own way on that). Club looked after us well with table looking out over the ground so when we wanted shade we got it :) 

Another "back from the dead" performance. Well done Hampshire.

Bus trip back was interesting. Diversions in place with M27 closed at Portsmouth but that did not stop the driver heading back for Portsmouth 3 times. Felt sorry for him but signage was appalling. Took an hour and a half to get back to the Ageas from the Wight Link Ferry! 

Sounds like a brilliant day out WS.

Not doing too badly today so far, it’s on R5L Extra for anyone driving. Commentators were saying that the club have won 19 out of 21 of the last games in all formats. Amazing form and resilience. About time Rasmus/SR went and had a look at the set up and culture for Saints, Hampshire are everything SFC isn’t at the moment. Squad depth is the best since the Nicholas era and some of the youngsters are really showing their talent in the ODC. Prest has had the headlines but Currie looks a great prospect and Turner has some proper pace. Organ been around in all formats and progressing nicely with bat and ball.

The leadership comes from Barker, Brown and Gubbins, another reason SFC needs to learn from Hampshire. Ben Brown I think has been a key extra ingredient and not just with the gloves and bat either. Gubbins over last couple of years as well. Vince has set a great culture and even with him in the Hundred you can see the good habits carrying on.

17 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Excellent from the young middle order batters.

On another note, Brave look like they might struggle again. Vince out first ball and they're chasing about 150 again.

Weird supporting Brave against Hampshire’s T20 bowling attack.

Usual stuff from Brave, very slow starters and only due to playing a terrible Fire have they any wins. Their big overseas batters haven’t turned up so far and the bowlers are carrying injuries (Mills, Garton) and look a bit weak. Let’s see though - last year they got stronger and stronger, apparently happens with all Jayawardene teams

53 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hants managed to bowl out Lancs for 183 but are seriously struggling to score runs in their turn now.

Lancs are using their championship bowling attack I think and our lads look short on technique.

Wouldn't it be nice if County sides could play their best players.

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hants managed to bowl out Lancs for 183 but are seriously struggling to score runs in their turn now.

Lancs are using their championship bowling attack I think and our lads look short on technique.

Do you never learn another win though I was expecting the worse when we were 6 down

What is the format of this cup after the group stage

10 minutes ago, John B said:

Do you never learn another win though I was expecting the worse when we were 6 down

What is the format of this cup after the group stage

Top 3 in both groups go to the playoffs. Second and third from both groups play in the quarter finals: winners of those matches play the two top teams in the semi finals (who get a bye to the semis).

For the final I assume the players in the then completed Hundred are eligible?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Top 3 in both groups go to the playoffs. Second and third from both groups play in the quarter finals: winners of those matches play the two top teams in the semi finals (who get a bye to the semis).

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

A Hampshire treble then shame there is no europpean qualification as we could do well against teams from other european countries

11 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

This was discussed a bit during the commentary. The opinion seemed to be that ditching players who got you to the final wouldn't be cricket.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though, particularily those who haven't had great success.  Maybe Vince or Weatherley for say Donald .  Still there a lot of games still to go before any eventual final.

• Like 2