Hampshire Cricket Club 2022

John B

53 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Looks like Surrey would need at least 300 from at most 50 overs.  6 an over is a big ask, especially if you'd not want to lose.

Looks pretty cloudy so I'd doubt if they'll even get all of the scheduled overs in.

Currently they would need 340, and Northants' last pair are still batting.

Draw confirmed. I think if Hampshire win the next two with maximum bonus points they will win the championship. I see Surrey drawing one of their games - they do seem to always get max batting points however  so unless weather gets in the way I think there is no room for error. Will be remarkable if they don’t win it despite going unbeaten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Draw confirmed. I think if Hampshire win the next two with maximum bonus points they will win the championship. I see Surrey drawing one of their games - they do seem to always get max batting points however  so unless weather gets in the way I think there is no room for error. Will be remarkable if they don’t win it despite going unbeaten.

Maximum bonus points eh, that means scoring over 400 in the first innings twice over. Think we may have to be satisfied with about 45 points 

from the two games, and that's a tall enough order with the weather for the second fortnight of September. I think though that losing Dawson to some silly asian bash or other may be a handicap for us. Surrey may even get a few test players back.

Yep - 8 points difference which means a Surrey draw and Hants win means level - aside from bonus points. History suggests Surrey will max batting points in both games which would put them champs even with a draw. Hants have struggled to post 400 plus throughout - hopefully the finishing line as champions may motivate as they are capable and bat down to 8.  Weather of course could also factor…

8 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Yep - 8 points difference which means a Surrey draw and Hants win means level - aside from bonus points. History suggests Surrey will max batting points in both games which would put them champs even with a draw. Hants have struggled to post 400 plus throughout - hopefully the finishing line as champions may motivate as they are capable and bat down to 8.  Weather of course could also factor…

Bowlers usually win County Championships 

1 hour ago, John B said:

Bowlers usually win County Championships 

Indeed, I seem to remember David O'Sulllivan playing a major part in the 73 win. Sainsbury took a good few as well, completing the work of the front line bowlers and the fabulous batting. O'Sullivan was a slow left armer, often really useful when the ball is doing nothing at all. This is why the loss of Dawson chagrins me so much.  Good job we're only playing Kent and Warks because real quality batters would go to town on our part time spinners and Crane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Wow!  What a debacle. 57 all out.  Need to sack the groundskeeper for this snorter of a wicket😚 . All they did was bowl  quick'ish and straight'ish and we just folded.

just unbelievable really.

Have you seen the scorecard from Chelmsford ? Lancashire were 7-6 in the 3rd innings of the match.

10 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Have you seen the scorecard from Chelmsford ? Lancashire were 7-6 in the 3rd innings of the match.

Does that make our performance better in some way or other then?

We were playng the title and we've blown it on the first day of 4.  Lancashire and Essex are playing for nothing whatsoever, whatever happens there makes absolutely no difference.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

So Kent 20/3 at stumps. Shouldn't get too excited about that yet though because 2 of the 3 were lower order nightwatch.. err people (or is it nightwatchers  in inclusive speak?). Did get Compton though.  We just need to skittle them for less than 100 and knock off the 200 or so runs needed to win. Still no batting points though.  

Edited by Window Cleaner

13 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

So Kent 20/3 at stumps. Shouldn't get too excited about that yet though because 2 of the 3 were lower order nightwatch.. err people (or is it nightwatchers  in inclusive speak?). Did get Compton though.  We just need to skittle them for less than 100 and knock off the 200 or so runs needed to win. Still no batting points though.  

Problem we have is we are more than likely to be batting from 3.00pm again where the wicket becomes skiddy. Can’t see us scoring 200 runs or even surviving.

Those with tickets for Thursday have no chance of play I’m afraid plus our groundsman should be shot for producing that wicket!

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Problem we have is we are more than likely to be batting from 3.00pm again where the wicket becomes skiddy. Can’t see us scoring 200 runs or even surviving.

Those with tickets for Thursday have no chance of play I’m afraid plus our groundsman should be shot for producing that wicket!

T'is an already used wicket apparently.  Obviously too much cricket at the Aegeas this summer.

Need to sort that out for next year. More out grounds perhaps, couldn't say where though.    

11 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

Hmmm,  Kent don't look to be in too much difficulty this morning. A few balls that have beaten the bat but they're scoring a few runs nevertheless.

Yes it’s all looking a bit too easy at the moment and I think yesterday in 2 hours we blew our championship chances.

Can you spot what is wrong with this comment from the BBC ?

"Kent move past 200, and pick up their first batting point."

And I know it has nothing to do with Hampshire blowing their chance of the title, but it's great to see Essex getting dicked on their own doctored pitch.

Edited by badgerx16

To play so well for so long and throw the outside chance of the title away in under 17 overs is galling to say the least. The second point is the fact we were 5th favourites for the title and Surrey were not even mentioned in the betting. You never know next year is 50 years since our last championship, we can all dream.

It’s still possible if unlikely  - big score to chase down but the pitch has flattened and we have a short tail. Question is do they have the application ?. Surrey would now need to lose against Lancashire of course, so we wouldn’t want any rain there…

1 minute ago, rallyboy said:

Scoring 300 in the 2nd innings makes it even worse - to chuck away the whole season in that one mad hour is criminal. 

Let's remember 2022 for the T20 instead.

It’s been a decent season across all formats, the 16.4 not included. Can’t be mad at winning 9/13 and the RLC season was cracking, won every game except for that trip to Wales in the group and just edged by the eventual winners in the semi. Some talented young lads getting plenty of game time too.

• Like 1

Too pessimistic Pilchards - got 300 so decent effort. Truth is we never recovered from that 1st innings shambles. Shame, couple of batsmen like Vince have been really off form since the bash it about season (and actually during it). That bowling attack was the best in the division, but the batting was very ordinary. Well done Surrey - deserved winners

• Like 2

Surrey are going to win anyway so it probably doesn't really matter all that much.

However, our season has been blighted by three shockingly bad, first innings batting performances and if we've any pretentions of winning the County Championship before our 3 main bowlers become less effective then we just have to eradicate these batting disasters. That would mean, in my opinion anyway, signing a tenacious opening batter and relegating Holland to the second XI  and 1 day cricket as  a consequence. I don't think Donald is going to make the grade as a 4 day batter, probably replace him with Prest.

• Like 2

Fair play to Surrey, they've been a juggernaut this season. I always felt we were a quality opener short of a championship quality team, but we're slowly getting there batting wise having added Brown this season.  Vince has had a terrible year with the bat unfortunately.

We've had a bit of bad luck.  The Essex loss was a bit farcical, and not being able to play Surrey at home was unfortunate.

We've had a great year overall though.  Winning T20, semis in 50 overs and hopefully 2nd in the CC.  Congrats to the boys, hopefully we can go one better next year.

• Like 3