Hampshire Cricket Club 2022

John B

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Bollox Mr Stevens our nemesis 

He’s been playing so long he’s basically every other counties nemesis by this point… 

We probably were a little short with the bat given the position we got ourselves in, but could have bowled better as well.  Shame, but hopefully we can keep up the pressure in the CC

• Like 1

Extras were the problem there - Kent only bowled three additional deliveries in our innings, we had to bowl fourteen. More than two extra overs bowled, and not only did we give away 20 runs for those freebies, the extra deliveries at the end of those overs also cost 17.

3 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Extras were the problem there - Kent only bowled three additional deliveries in our innings, we had to bowl fourteen. More than two extra overs bowled, and not only did we give away 20 runs for those freebies, the extra deliveries at the end of those overs also cost 17.

Extras were among the problems. Then again we've been bowling short and wide throoughout the competition, luck just ran out a bit too soon.

For me the lack of a front line spinner was a biggsh factor. They probably wouldn't have hit Dawson for 72 off of 10 overs. That said Currie and Campbell were too expensive as well. Have we not a full time spinner in the younger players?  If that's the case it doesn't bode well for the future.  Prest bowls a bit but obviously his type of spin wasn't thought to be worth much.

6 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Extras were among the problems. Then again we've been bowling short and wide throoughout the competition, luck just ran out a bit too soon.

For me the lack of a front line spinner was a biggsh factor. They probably wouldn't have hit Dawson for 72 off of 10 overs. That said Currie and Campbell were too expensive as well. Have we not a full time spinner in the younger players?  If that's the case it doesn't bode well for the future.  Prest bowls a bit but obviously his type of spin wasn't thought to be worth much.

Recruiting Rehan Ahmed for Southern Brave probably wasn't an innocent move.

Rightyho, back to the serious stuff on Monday, Northants at the Aegeas.  Should have all of our players available after the shorter format interlude. Don't think many of them covered themselves with glory in the Hundred, although Dawson did seem to have bowled fairly well when I looked at the scorecard. Got himself included n the group for the Pakistan T20 series and is travelling reserve for the WC. Vince ,I think had an atrocious series and Brave got dumped out quickly.

Presume it will be about the usual CC eleven , unless the wicket is expected to spin a bit and in that case Crane may be included.  

Edited by Window Cleaner

Looks like it's going to be a dead match given the weather forecast... Hopefully we can squeeze as many bonus points as possible in the time we do have, albeit we really need a win to stand any chance of overtaking Surrey

Edited by Barsiem

If it also rains next week, though, we're back where we started, and Surrey have harder fixtures to finish. We toughed it out today in what were mostly bowler-friendly conditions, got some good runs on the board and hopefully we can squeeze enough time in to get to 300 and have a bowl at some point tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

Good start this morning, 44 runs in the 29 minutes of play before some light drizzle. Forecast isn't great, but as I said last night, hopefully go quickly to 300, get bowling and see where we can get the game to before we have to negotiate the heavier rain later.

Weather forecast looks distinctly unpromising. Tomorrow and Thursday no better. Might not get much more play at all in this game. Pity, we look to be in quite a good position.  Might not even bowl at all.

Probably need at least two more wickets before the close. Not sure that we'll get them though.  Bowling looks pretty inoffensive and Northants are obviously playing for the draw.

Works every time, Barker suddenly produces a snorter to get Procter caught behind.

Edited by Window Cleaner

This is just so out of touch. Can you imagine if City and Liverpool were toe to toe for the title and a Liverpool game was interrupted and not completed and therefore they didnt get the full allocation of points? I know it's the way it has always been and "it all balances itself out in the end" arguments but to have a throw back to the 1930s in the modern game is just bizarre and out of touch. 

If the ECB wants the county game to be relevant then winning the title has to mean something and cant be left to be significantly determined by the weather (you can of course losing a counties best players to England in the middle of the competition - can you imagine having to play a football fixture with your best players taken by England?)

3 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

This is just so out of touch. Can you imagine if City and Liverpool were toe to toe for the title and a Liverpool game was interrupted and not completed and therefore they didnt get the full allocation of points? I know it's the way it has always been and "it all balances itself out in the end" arguments but to have a throw back to the 1930s in the modern game is just bizarre and out of touch. 

If the ECB wants the county game to be relevant then winning the title has to mean something and cant be left to be significantly determined by the weather (you can of course losing a counties best players to England in the middle of the competition - can you imagine having to play a football fixture with your best players taken by England?)

It used to be worse. I’m old enough to remember Hants losing out to Worcestershire for the title because of a rained off match in which they got 0 points. 
I’m not sure what can be done about rain affected matches, but having a lopsided schedule is a joke. See my earlier post about that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

It used to be worse. I’m old enough to remember Hants losing out to Worcestershire for the title because of a rained off match in which they got 0 points. 
I’m not sure what can be done about rain affected matches, but having a lopsided schedule is a joke. See my earlier post about that. 

In fact if I remember correctly we lost five of the last six days of that season to the rain

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Northants following the same script against Surrey as against us so far.  Started really well with the bat, then started to collapse.  Gone from 77-0 to 94-3

Not too bad though. Northants 157/3 last time I looked. Gay looks to be an excellent opener. Don't think Northants will be able to hold on to him for very long.

Gay out for 145 and then they came off for bad light!!

Don't think that we can complain however. Something similar happened to Northants last week and we didn't complain.

Northants are in a good position although the new ball will be due early tomorrow and I don't expect too much from the remaining batsmen.

Nothing much to hope for from the Surrey game. Northants bowling is pretty poor, as we saw last week really . They did have Surrey at 80/4 yesterday but now Surrey are about to move into a first innings lead.  Why do poor, average seamers keep bowling short to big hitters like Curran ? It's just free, quick runs.

Best issue for us now looks to be a draw with maximum bonus points for Surrey, leaving them 8 points ahead with 2 matches to play for each side. No Dawson for Hants though so that's an extra bummer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Nothing much to hope for from the Surrey game. Northants bowling is pretty poor, as we saw last week really . They did have Surrey at 80/4 yesterday but now Surrey are about to move into a first innings lead.  Why do poor, average seamers keep bowling short to big hitters like Curran ? It's just free, quick runs.

Best issue for us now looks to be a draw with maximum bonus points for Surrey, leaving them 8 points ahead with 2 matches to play for each side. No Dawson for Hants though so that's an extra bummer.

Listening to 5 live this morning and they said the Manchester weather for the Surrey vs Lancashire match will always get hit for bad weather.

If we get full maximum points in the next two games then it could all end as a draw.

Do Surrey win it because they beat us or will it be our title for the most wins?

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Listening to 5 live this morning and they said the Manchester weather for the Surrey vs Lancashire match will always get hit for bad weather.

If we get full maximum points in the next two games then it could all end as a draw.

Do Surrey win it because they beat us or will it be our title for the most wins?

From Wiki: If any sides have equal points, tie-breakers are applied in the following order: most wins, fewest losses, team achieving most points in contests between teams level on points, most wickets taken, most runs scored.

Having said that I doubt Hants can catch Surrey if as expected they beat Northants tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

From Wiki: If any sides have equal points, tie-breakers are applied in the following order: most wins, fewest losses, team achieving most points in contests between teams level on points, most wickets taken, most runs scored.

Having said that I doubt Hants can catch Surrey if as expected they beat Northants tomorrow.

Forecast as dry as a bone at Wantage Rd for tomorrow. Cloudy though and not warm, if Northants can get over 200 lead…

2 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Forecast as dry as a bone at Wantage Rd for tomorrow. Cloudy though and not warm, if Northants can get over 200 lead…

Need to bat till lunch and add at least another 100.

Then waste time throughout the Surrey innings as 250 in 70 overs is tough but possible.

This is going to be close. Now into the tail but Northants have a well set batter. Assuming they get to 350 it’ll leave a chase of 270 for Surrey with 60 odd overs. With this pitch and Surreys batters they will fancy that so crucial Northants eat up as many overs as possible and get closer to 300 lead. Either way fair play Northants for digging in and giving Surrey a real game.

• Like 1

Yes indeed it’s going to be close.

Hoping Northants can battle on for at least another hour and then IMHO this would make it very difficult for Surrey.

Of course they are going to put Tom Curran up the order and once he’s gone then they might bat out for the draw.

Edited by Pilchards

It would take an amazing turnaround for Surrey to win from here, albeit if any team is capable of it it's probably them.

Anyone know whether Abbot is fit? He obviously missed the last day of our last game but I cannot find any info about whether he's likely to be out for a while or not