Salisu long throws

64saint

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20048451.analysis-saints-long-throw-in-tactic-not-working/

Interesting link explaining the thinking behind Salisu's long throws that are nearly always met with an opposition header.  Many of us have wondered why persist with him taking the throws that never directly reach a Saints player. There's usually a few groans around where I sit about why do they bother with his throws.  This maybe explains it in a bit more depth.  

Edited by 64saint

6 hours ago, 64saint said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20048451.analysis-saints-long-throw-in-tactic-not-working/

Interesting link explaining the thinking behind Salisu's long throws that are nearly always met with an opposition header.  Many of us have wondered why persist with him taking the throws that never directly reach a Saints player. There's usually a few groans around where I sit about why do they bother with his throws.  This maybe explains it in a bit more depth.  

To be fair, Rory Delap is often used as an example of a long throw expert but I an only remember one goal scored from one of them (A header from Crouch v Villa in the 2005 relegation season). That said it always felt more likely than when Mo's looping efforts head for the goalkeeper's gloves! :) 

9 minutes ago, sibster said:

To be fair, Rory Delap is often used as an example of a long throw expert but I an only remember one goal scored from one of them (A header from Crouch v Villa in the 2005 relegation season). That said it always felt more likely than when Mo's looping efforts head for the goalkeeper's gloves! :) 

Think we scored from one of his throws against Sunderland at home one season. 89th minute, or at least very late in the game. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sibster said:

I seem to remember Delap's throws greatly improved after he left Saints. Throw-ins and Saints don't seem to mix.

• Like 1

I did wonder if this was the thinking but I'm still not sold on it. We're deliberately giving the ball away so we have a high chance of winning it back? And in doing so leaving ourselves drastically short at the back, and vulnerable to counter attack, as the tactic requires our best centreback to be completely out of the game off the pitch and for us to have the majority of our team pushed right up to their box. 

9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I seem to remember Delap's throws greatly improved after he left Saints. Throw-ins and Saints don't seem to mix.

Yeah, he seemed to improve the trajectory at Stoke, making it more flat than loopy and more like corners. I don’t know of any player who’s been able to achieve that type of throw before or since - was very effective at causing mayhem in the box.

18 hours ago, 64saint said:

Interesting analysis, probably better than what's been in the athletic this season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Green said:

Interesting analysis, probably better than what's been in the athletic this season. 

All the articles I've read have been better than those in the athletic (relating to saints) since Carl moved. Problem is there's plenty of other stuff in the athletic that I read/listen to. Plus I think I'm tied down for another 9 months or so. How much does this cost anyway, after the first month?

Hmmm, all sounds like a double bluff to me.

I can picture the team meeting now.
RH: " Right lads, Mo's throw ins, they are shite, the opposition always get them first and head them clear, what else can we try?"
JWP: (raising his hand excitedly with a shithousery grin on his face) "Let's get the Echo to print a story saying that's exactly what we want them to do"
RH: Great , that should fool them. Ok next, who's turn is it to play the 10 role this week?

Who'll be first to react as no-one from either side goes for it and the throw is left to just slowly bobble it's way across the penalty area. 🤣

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Scummer said:

All the articles I've read have been better than those in the athletic (relating to saints) since Carl moved. Problem is there's plenty of other stuff in the athletic that I read/listen to. Plus I think I'm tied down for another 9 months or so. How much does this cost anyway, after the first month?

Not a great deal of difference, just the snobbery towards the chap running with Saints news.

Funnily enough, he has been spot on with Saints info all season (McCarthy contract for example)

53 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not a great deal of difference, just the snobbery towards the chap running with Saints news.

Funnily enough, he has been spot on with Saints info all season (McCarthy contract for example)

Why snobbery? I have nothing against him at all, in fact I feel bad even mentioning it as it's someone's career. But as a customer, the standard has dropped dramatically since Carl moved on. The articles are largely vague, wishy-washy conjecture. Take today's article about a Chelsea takeover and how it might affect Saints. It's just page-filler, and tells us absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scummer said:

Why snobbery? I have nothing against him at all, in fact I feel bad even mentioning it as it's someone's career. But as a customer, the standard has dropped dramatically since Carl moved on. The articles are largely vague, wishy-washy conjecture. Take today's article about a Chelsea takeover and how it might affect Saints. It's just page-filler, and tells us absolutely nothing.

As were Carl's on most occasions, when you removed his quirky take on things

Complete waste of time....tbh, on another note, I can never quite get why some players let the ball go out of play when in some cases it would be easier and better to retain possession than risk the chance of giving up possession with a throw in.

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I get the 2nd ball angle, but why Salish needs to take the throws to achieve that?

I would guess the thinking is that the full backs will be among the players waiting to pounce and win the second ball, as they are part of 'the press', which Salisu isn't. 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I would guess the thinking is that the full backs will be among the players waiting to pounce and win the second ball, as they are part of 'the press', which Salisu isn't. 

That's the way I've seen it. I think it's more about having the right players around the ball rather than who's actually taking the throw. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Fair point. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Very very bad again today.

They’re dreadful, offer us nothing. Why do we continue to persist with them and some idiot (Dave Watson) is getting paid to look at these sort of thing. 

Besides them being total garbage, using the CB to take the throw, which never seems to beat the first man just leave our shape all over the place. 

Very, very weird we’ve continued to use these. 

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 19:59, Saints foreva said:

Thankfully he'll be fucking off in the summer. Bang average CB at best. 

These throws are a complete joke !!!!

wtf is Ralph thinking????? 
Honestly is this the limit of our coaching prowess ? 
it’s pathetic. We cannot even teach how to take a long throw in …. Truly pathetic…..

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 1