Saints 1-4 Newcastle - Match Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

This is a game about goals. We don't score them - we can't even score sitters. Our opponents seem to score with every second shot on target (or, as toda,. every shot on target). I agree today we did not play that badly or get the rub of the green - Almiron's first goal was jammy, with rebounds and missed tackles, and all three other Newcastle goals found the exact right spot just inside the post...Woods a blind shot predictably for the his first of the season, Willock a toe-poke and Guimares a great curler. Could Bazunu have saved any of them? - you'd have hoped so...especially the last one. But the bad misses just killed us. 1-1 going in at half time would have been a different game. 2-1 if Che had put his must score chance away. Instead they go right down the other end and score - game over.

So today was a bit unlucky, but then we are saying this virtually every game. It masks some fundamental problems. We have no identity. We have no confidence. We have no goal-scoring threat. We had much less intensity than Newcastle. We have no idea what shape or tactic we are playing - you could see the confusion amongst the players after Larios was subbed off. And starting Walcott - seriously? I mean seriously?! I saw that and thought Ralph is trying to get himself sacked. The only explanation I can think of is he was sending his little message to the owners ' I asked for a striker last window, we didn't get one - this is what I'm left with' (not true - could have played, Adam Armstrong, Mara, Aribo...should've kept Tella...even played Lyanco as a striker!...so many other better options).

New manager. Two new strikers and a midfielder like Guimaraes please... Lavia fit. JWP rested for a bit until he finds form. I was in the 'go all out to keep Broja' camp and still think if we had him we'd be at least 3-5 points better off than we are now. Do this and we might just stay up. 

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 2

We weren't unlucky today, the defending was a shambles at tilmes. Send AMN back to Arsenal, not good enough, summed up by a moment just after the first goal. Newcastle had a one-two on the edge of the box, he didn't track the runner at all and they got a decent cross in. That's all about lack of effort and personal responsibility, which is unforgivable in the prem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Just got this from a mate who does corporate 

Hi mate 
Hope you are a well 
I’m not sure what’s going on in the board room, as yet again not one of the new board in directors box yesterday! 
The mess we are in you would think at least one of them would be in attendance

Once you take the emotion out of it, the club is a business. The players and management are staff of that business. I can't think of any business where the board are expected to watch their staff work. You can still analyse results and performance without watching it. Aside of that,  perhaps they were working tirelessly on sorting out a new manager and Semmens replacement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

This is a game about goals. We don't score them - we can't even score sitters. Our opponents seem to score with every second shot on target (or, as toda,. every shot on target). I agree today we did not play that badly or get the rub of the green - Almiron's first goal was jammy, with rebounds and missed tackles, and all three other Newcastle goals found the exact right spot just inside the post...Woods a blind shot predictably for the his first of the season, Willock a toe-poke and Guimares a great curler. Could Bazunu have saved any of them? - you'd have hoped so...especially the last one. But the bad misses just killed us. 1-1 going in at half time would have been a different game. 2-1 if Che had put his must score chance away. Instead they go right down the other end and score - game over.

So today was a bit unlucky, but then we are saying this virtually every game. It masks some fundamental problems. We have no identity. We have no confidence. We have no goal-scoring threat. We had much less intensity than Newcastle. We have no idea what shape or tactic we are playing - you could see the confusion amongst the players after Larios was subbed off. And starting Walcott - seriously? I mean seriously?! I saw that and thought Ralph is trying to get himself sacked. The only explanation I can think of is he was sending his little message to the owners ' I asked for a striker last window, we didn't get one - this is what I'm left with' (not true - could have played, Adam Armstrong, Mara, Aribo...should've kept Tella...even played Lyanco as a striker!...so many other better options).

New manager. Two new strikers and a midfielder like Guimaraes please... Lavia fit. JWP rested for a bit until he finds form. I was in the 'go all out to keep Broja' camp and still think if we had him we'd be at least 3-5 points better off than we are now. Do this and we might just stay up. 

Guimaraes cost £40 mil and proven strikers will be at least as much so I'm not expecting that !

I think you've summed up our current situation pretty well though and our only hope is that a new manager brings a freshness !

This crazy World Cup season may just save our bacon (giving us time to get Tino, KWP etc.. back and sign someone who realises where the back of the net is) !

Football has almost completely bypassed me over the last week and a bit after my dad was hit by a car but... what the absolute shit was that line up? It's like he WANTS to get sacked. 

I can only hope the damage done this season isn't permanent and we can turn it around after the WC. Ideally we need new players through the door on January 1ST, not January 31ST.

15 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Football has almost completely bypassed me over the last week and a bit after my dad was hit by a car but... what the absolute shit was that line up? It's like he WANTS to get sacked. 

I can only hope the damage done this season isn't permanent and we can turn it around after the WC. Ideally we need new players through the door on January 1ST, not January 31ST.

Football pales into insignificance during times like that - hope everything is ok.

That was a clusterfuck. The manager has been given too much leeway. A bizarre team selection. What the hell is El no usey, Walcott and I dare to say it JWP the original Gareth Southgate backwards and sideways player being picked for.  All the top sides know what the game is about so any likelihood of danger a cynical foul is committed early especially early in the move. What do we do, Elyounoussi has a little weak nibble at Almiron misses and lets him go. Ball and all into touch and no first goal. Patently it's down to the management we don't do ruthless, we must if we are to survive. Elyounoussi has started opponents goal scoring attacks by dwelling on the ball and sucking our full backs upfield then losing it for us to be hit on the break.

We have to realise that fundamentally at our level full backs are defenders not wingers. We need to defend first. We don't need both full backs attacking especially combined with incompetent strikers. Keep a solid back four and Lavia in front. I think we should unload JWP asap and use the money to buy a couple of strikers. Do the same with Adams and A Armstrong. Cut our losses. They aren't going to get goals. I think we need a new manager together with a proven hardcore ruthless defensive coach. I am sick and tired of the stupid incompetence being shown both on and off the pitch. I'm amazed the new owners have waited this long. I just assume it may be to take advantage of the break and the transfer window at the end of it.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Football pales into insignificance during times like that - hope everything is ok.

Thanks - he broke his nose, wrist, knee and every rib but for 74 he's pretty hardy and luckily broken bones is the only damage so he's lucky. His loss of independence is what's annoying him the most! 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Cabrone said:

The difference was that they needed 1 chance to convert, we need 10.

We need a proven clinical striker, the experimentation on championship signings isn't working.

That's easier said than done though.

It's ok, we're experimenting with a championship level manager to help us.

I jest...maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1