Think I'm starting to hate football!

Bob76

3 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

That's how football works Grandad, surely you know that - do you think Brighton or Brentford fans are complaining about how much they hate football?

Don’t try to patronise me young man, I’ve been doing it for a lot longer than you and I do it better.

Neither of us knows what their supporters think of modern football.

7 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Fully understand your dilemma but I suspect you will not be able to resist renewal. The only thing that stopped me was the pandemic and the screw up at the ticket office that led to our seats being sold to a.n. other without checking with us first. Now I go along to the occasional match that costs me £60 a shot! Much cheaper with a season ticket so unless you are experiencing real hardship stick with it. Not only that, you will lose your favourite seat for good and that hurts.

I will start again next season if a decent seat vacancy crops up.

That happened when they evicted us from the central Kingsland. Nothing particularly special about our current ones. Except the price perhaps.

20 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That happened when they evicted us from the central Kingsland. Nothing particularly special about our current ones. Except the price perhaps.

FFS, give it a rest. You weren’t “evicted”. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Whilst being a Saints fan presently is hard work, watching modern day football with kids is a joy. 

My 8 year old in particular takes it all to another level. We go to various different Prem and Championship games and everything from the fire jets at wolves to the liquidator at wba and Chelsea blows his mind. 

When I was young we had so little access to football, whereas now it seems he knows every player, team, match and moment of note from the last few years. 

It’s easy to be cynical, but when watched through his eyes the standard is better than ever and whilst it’s never going to be the match day experience of 30/40/50 years ago, I can at least take him and his sister all over without too much hassle. 

As far he’s concerned a career in the premier league for Chelsea or Arsenal is just around the corner and I’m not going to tell him otherwise!

17 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

That's how football works Grandad, surely you know that - do you think Brighton or Brentford fans are complaining about how much they hate football?

In fairness I work with a Brighton fan who does this all the time. Had been a STH since they played at Gillingham but gave it up after the first season of VAR.

Yeah it seems this thread is bad timing because of how poorly we're doing but there are many people who would have the same sentiments even if we were doing well.

It's bigger than simply whether team x or y is doing well. The whole sport has become far less enjoyable to many fans. I don't watch non Saints games or motd anymore (would have been unthinkable a few years back) and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. 

• Like 1

I hate a lot of things about modern football, particularly Premier league, the money, VAR, glory hunting fans , kick off time changes, constant fake virtue signalling , but still can't beat a good away day on the train with your pals, few beers following the Saints across the length of the country. Home games in particular have been hard work. 

I do find myself at non-league games more and quite enjoy that, pay on the day reasonable prices, move and stand around the ground , often hard fought competitive games on a Saturday 3pm 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

In fairness I work with a Brighton fan who does this all the time. Had been a STH since they played at Gillingham but gave it up after the first season of VAR.

😂 This is up there with the Cortese Car Park boys.

16 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Pray, what are these "channels" on the pitch of which the oh-so-smart Millennials constantly speak?

Most commonly the vertical spaces along the pitch between an outside and inside defender, so between the full back and centre back in a back 4, and the wide and middle centre back in a back 3. Think where Long used to make most of his runs (although yes he was mostly offside) and Broja last season. A ball into the channels is quite a common term for a through ball into that space, where a striker is making their run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Most commonly the vertical spaces along the pitch between an outside and inside defender, so between the full back and centre back in a back 4, and the wide and middle centre back in a back 3. Think where Long used to make most of his runs (although yes he was mostly offside) and Broja last season. A ball into the channels is quite a common term for a through ball into that space, where a striker is making their run. 

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Ajax were my local team and I did see them from time to time, mainly European games.

European giant in terms of history .. Tadic live still getting bums off seats .

put ya hand ya pocket and go catch a live game ! Changed a bit since 1994 tho. 

Does e) include the time they take to come to their decisions?  If it's not immediately apparent the original decsion should stand IMO.

Football is still a great game though. My sister sent me a video of my great nephew going to his first game (at Brighton, I'm afraid). As he got to the top of the steps and saw the pitch and stands he turned round and said 'wow'!

At the other end of the scale I'm really looking forward to Sunday afternoon and playing in one of the lower divisions of the Hampshire Women's League. I've never been much good (and now very slow) but I'm enthusiastically not good, and that's what it's all about.

When people talk about money in football I point them in the direction of our local council and what they rush us for a dodgy park pitch.

On 14/03/2023 at 17:04, the saint in winchester said:

In what world does he think people like him are the majority? 

"It seems to me now that minorities in this world are telling the majorities what they can and cannot think. I’m for equality but they cannot foist their ideas on people."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldNick said:

In what world does he think people like him are the majority? 

"It seems to me now that minorities in this world are telling the majorities what they can and cannot think. I’m for equality but they cannot foist their ideas on people."

It is not just now it has been creeping up on us for years.