Should we have stumped up for Gibbs White

Andrew Watson

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think he’s actually been that good? 🤨

He’s been missing all season and has only turned up in the past three or four weeks.

Turned up 4 more weeks than our lot did 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think he’s actually been that good? 🤨

He’s been missing all season and has only turned up in the past three or four weeks.

And they've sealed premier league safety in that time with Gibbs White being very influential. Seems like £40m well spent to me.

• Haha 1

£35m might have seemed a lot to spend on him, but if you put it into context compared to us - we spent a combined £30-35m on Onuachu, Orsic and Aribo

I 'think' they got better value.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£35m might have seemed a lot to spend on him, but if you put it into context compared to us - we spent a combined £30-35m on Onuachu, Orsic and Aribo

I 'think' they got better value.

Indeed it’s a false economy isn’t it. One good player for £35m and £100k a week or 3 crap ones for a combined fee of that and £50k each wages. Which one is the better deal long term.

58 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just buying a half decent keeper would’ve given us an extra 8-10 points this season.

That we do agree on, but it doesn't alter the fact that Gibbs-white was a great bit of business by Forest and helped them stay up.

Ultimately we were undone by going for quantity over quality, potential over proven, and just trying to be too clever. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just buying a half decent keeper would’ve given us an extra 8-10 points this season.

Will be interesting to see if Sport Republic and the new manager think that Bazunu can step up to the league below. 

19 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Will be interesting to see if Sport Republic and the new manager think that Bazunu can step up to the league below. 

Bazunu outof nowhere has started getting a bit of sympathy on Twitter.

Two weeks ago “he’s fucking shit”, now “he’s been unfortunate but he’ll smash it next season”. 🤣

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bazunu outof nowhere has started getting a bit of sympathy on Twitter.

Two weeks ago “he’s fucking shit”, now “he’s been unfortunate but he’ll smash it next season”. 🤣

It’s since he won the Echo player of the season…

48 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

It’s since he won the Echo player of the season…

24 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Wait, what?? Seriously?? I guess that says more about the rest of the players than it does Bazunu.

It shows how many skates hijacked the vote.

No, not with the 3 managers we had. Steve Cooper is better than the three we had combined, that is why some of his players have performed and none of ours have. There is something dreadfully wrong behind the scenes at SFC and some of it coming out now. New team, manager, DOF need to get in there and stop the negativity and losing ways before any player can have a good season for us.

There’s pretty strong hindsight and outcome bias with this, like saying these are the lottery numbers I should have picked last week. Yes, Forest have stayed up and MGW has been decent for them recently (apparently, I’ve not watched them much). Was spending a big chunk of money on him in summer the obviously correct decision we should have made? No. Forest’s transfer strategy has barely been a success, they’re only really above four dreadful teams by virtue of their two wins against Saints; games in which they themselves looked pretty ropey.

He was 40m and has same goals and 4 more assists than Che.

I’m not suggesting his goal tally wouldn’t be higher than Che given the xp wasted we see every week but still.  Astronomical money for a player who has really not justified that money. 

Imagine how hamstrung we’d be with that outlay on our relegation books.

On 21/05/2023 at 13:13, Lighthouse said:

There’s pretty strong hindsight and outcome bias with this, like saying these are the lottery numbers I should have picked last week. Yes, Forest have stayed up and MGW has been decent for them recently (apparently, I’ve not watched them much). Was spending a big chunk of money on him in summer the obviously correct decision we should have made? No. Forest’s transfer strategy has barely been a success, they’re only really above four dreadful teams by virtue of their two wins against Saints; games in which they themselves looked pretty ropey.

Also not sure MGW has been all that impressive. It's johnson that consistently catches the eye. 

I recall that we spent half of last summer discussing (some laughing at) Forrest (within several threads), their transfer policy and how they would go compared to ourselves. Although there was obviously a number of transfer failures (as there are almost everywhere) - Lingard did little, Dennis less and O'Brien absolutely nothing, Boly looked poor, Danilo and Scarpa unimpressive etc...ultimately they did just enough.

You are right, they weren't exactly a good side and only just survived, but considering they only had about 10 senior players after promotion, they did OK to achieve that, despite significant injuries to Henderson, Wood, Richards and Awoniyi along the way.

In the end it was our own transfer policy that was the more laughable.

• Like 1