Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

People being overly negative. Saints are dominating possession and getting a lot of bodies in and around the box. May just be a case of the manager trying to ingrain that style in the players first and foremost. A lot of nearly moments so far - with increased familiarity they'll be chances galore with the amount of possession/numbers/movement and the potential in the final 3rd... It would also help to not have Che Adams waltzing around up front seemingly not giving a fuck. CB's / CDM looks a concern. But first half we've had no CDM playing and we've also had a fairly weak attack starting this match imo (i.e. no alcaraz, sulemana, or Mara starting). Would be hasty to get to concerned so far - its pre season, players will be coming and going, and the main point is the players are learning the total possession style of the manger.

Would hope we win this second half - lavia, sulemana, alcaraz, mara etc. The side is going to get stronger.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm a bit worried that we don't have the players in attack to play a passing game. We have some players who can run with the ball but it doesn't look like we're going to utilise that. I think we need to bring in some attacking talent that can play the way the manager wants to. That might mean selling Tella and maybe someone like Edozie or Sulemana and certainly Stuart Armstrong. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Definitely. Lyanco in particular is the absolute opposite of what this system needs.

What worries me is that a good manager assesses what he's got and implements a system based on the players at his disposal. We seem to persist with recruiting managers who have a set way of playing and then throw players under the bus when they can't adapt to 'their' system. Plus once their system becomes known, other more adept managers change tactics to outplay them.

• Like 3