Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Amo-Ameyaw definitely looks the most impressive player from the youth team. 

Very impressed with him so far. Looked good late on vs Liverpool and had Benfica surrounding him with players too. Could be a welcome surprise for this season.

• Like 6

Came on here to say I have liked Doyle in both games, but seeing others say the opposite - he looks comfortable on the ball to me, looks very calm. Has got his feet tied up a couple of times tonight but he seems to be playing on the wing which i don’t think is his best position from what I understand? Looks a pretty big lad too.

• Like 6

Hard to overly judge individuals due to heat and early pre season nature but really shows we need a ball playing CB...Lyanco is just awful in particular. Looks most solid when Bednarek plays, I hope we sign someone to pair with him.

Sam Amo looks very promising, could be a great bench option.

System in the 2nd half with the deep lying midfielder and two #8s really suits Alcaraz and Aribo, nice balance.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Came on here to say I have liked Doyle in both games, but seeing others say the opposite - he looks comfortable on the ball to me, looks very calm. Has got his feet tied up a couple of times tonight but he seems to be playing on the wing which i don’t think is his best position from what I understand? Looks a pretty big lad too.

Yeah, he's not a winger. Just filling in there, I presume, because Djenepo is ill, Edozie is possibly injured, and Sulemana isn't match ready.

Doesn't have the speed to play out wide. And he's bulked up a lot in the last year. If anything, he looks a bit too heavy.

Always thought he was a 10. Might even go well as an 8 now he's built like a tank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Hard to overly judge individuals due to heat and early pre season nature but really shows we need a ball playing CB...Lyanco is just awful in particular. Looks most solid when Bednarek plays, I hope we sign someone to pair with him.

Sam Amo looks very promising, could be a great bench option.

System in the 2nd half with the deep lying midfielder and two #8s really suits Alcaraz and Aribo, nice balance.

Ball playing cb and a striker is really required. I'm not sure the system suits Tella so wouldn't surprise me to see him go. Ditto Edozie. Alcaraz our best player and needs to stay. 

• Like 3

Ballard is going to have one hell of a season because I can't see much coming from Adams, Armstrong, or Mara.

2nd half was better but Lavia won't be here so that's a false dawn.

Be interested to see Martin's full strength side.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Just wait til next summers Sport Republic Trophy, where we beat both Goztepe and Valenciennes to  win the bragging rights....

Bohemians being lined up as well. Would make a pretty good pre- season tournament.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Ballard is going to have one hell of a season because I can't see much coming from Adams, Armstrong, or Mara.

2nd half was better but Lavia won't be here so that's a false dawn.

Be interested to see Martin's full strength side.

If we had jwp, Charles, Alcaraz, Amo Ameyaw, Sulemana and maybe a new striker to start the season then that's only one player from that first half. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Ball playing cb and a striker is really required. I'm not sure the system suits Tella so wouldn't surprise me to see him go. Ditto Edozie. Alcaraz our best player and needs to stay. 

Agree with those requirements but not re Tella. He was poor tonight but the 2nd half system with one #6 and two #8s made much more use of the width and Tella would be good off either side in that setup. Edozie or Kamaldeen off the left would also be effective I think.

Biggest issue for me is the ball progression from centre back.

• Like 1

Hope we keep Aribo and Alcarez. What a game from Amo-Ameyaw. 

Would of cause like to see Lavia stay, but he will go. So will Salisu. I prefer KWP at rightback over Livramento and Perraud or perhaps Manning as LB.

Have to coach JWP to start playing more offensive when he gets a real DM behind him. 

Armstrong, Adams or Mara doesn't look close to ever score.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Hope we keep Aribo and Alcarez. What a game from Amo-Ameyaw. 

Would of cause like to see Lavia stay, but he will go. So will Salisu. I prefer KWP at rightback over Livramento and Perraud or perhaps Manning as LB.

Have to coach JWP to start playing more offensive when he gets a real DM behind him. 

Armstrong, Adams or Mara doesn't look close to ever score.

Front line looked awful. Mara far too casual. Just doesn't offer anything.

• Like 2

Struggling to find many players who offered more than a 5 or 6 out of ten from that game. 

Lavia is a cut above although not his best game but offered so much more when he came on. Alcaraz got the goal, looked pretty rusty but a threat. The wee nipper was very bright but shouldn’t be rushed. Other than that, not much.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Don't think he's looked impressive whatsoever personally

Yes Doyle was disappointing today. So many times in the final 3rd he miss controlled it, didn't know how to beat his man, misplaced his pass etc. But he is young so inconsistency will be inevitable, the lad does have promise.

• Like 1

Always hard to tell from pre-season. Didn't Aribo score a cracking goal in pre-season last year? Look how he turned out.

Some of our players are known entities, we know they will be good enough (Alcaraz) or will still be prone to being fairly regularly shite (Lyanco).

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Yes Doyle was disappointing today. So many times in the final 3rd he miss controlled it, didn't know how to beat his man, misplaced his pass etc. But he is young so inconsistency will be inevitable, the lad does have promise.

Sorry but disagree. Doyle may not have been perfect, however he offered far more than most first half and was intelligent with his anticipation and positioning…

Played well second half also but didn’t stand out as we had a much improved team second half.