Pre Season Friendlies 2023/24

Master Bates

22 minutes ago, It's There said:

Daily Echo doesn’t mention McCarthy when writing about the young keeper. Is Mcarthy leaving?

Pretty sure I read that either Athletic or Daily echo reported that McCarthy was looking for a move away.

On 07/06/2023 at 19:54, The Cat said:

It's normally the B team who play them. 

I know we're going through a period of transition with key club employees leaving, but thought we'd have planned a few games by now. Looks like all the other championship clubs have something scheduled already,  Plymouth make me laugh with most underwhelming mix against league two clubs 

FULL FIXTURE LIST

Tuesday, 11th July – Plymouth Parkway (A) – 7.30pm

Tuesday, 18th July – Torquay United (A) – 7.30pm

Saturday, 22nd July – Forest Green Rovers (H) – 3pm

Tuesday, 25th July - Salford City (H) - 7.30pm

Saturday, 29th July – Swindon Town (A) – 3pm

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I wonder which Prem club is looking for a pre-season friendly against a soft Championship team to get their strikers used to firing on all cylinders? Softie Saints always a good bet to bag a few goals and come off unscathed without injuries.

Bournemouth  🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JRM said:

I know we're going through a period of transition with key club employees leaving, but thought we'd have planned a few games by now. Looks like all the other championship clubs have something scheduled already,  Plymouth make me laugh with most underwhelming mix against league two clubs 

FULL FIXTURE LIST

Tuesday, 11th July – Plymouth Parkway (A) – 7.30pm

Tuesday, 18th July – Torquay United (A) – 7.30pm

Saturday, 22nd July – Forest Green Rovers (H) – 3pm

Tuesday, 25th July - Salford City (H) - 7.30pm

Saturday, 29th July – Swindon Town (A) – 3pm

At the other extreme, Leicester play Spurs in Thailand and Liverpool in Singapore while Leeds play Man United in Norway.

I'm hoping we'll get our usual  game at St Mary's against a mid-table team from La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga. That's become something of a tradition, starting with the first ever game at St Mary's against Espanyol in 2001.

10 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

At the other extreme, Leicester play Spurs in Thailand and Liverpool in Singapore while Leeds play Man United in Norway.

I'm hoping we'll get our usual  game at St Mary's against a mid-table team from La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga. That's become something of a tradition, starting with the first ever game at St Mary's against Espanyol in 2001.

I’m hoping for Grimsby to see how far we have improved with be manager 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Leicester's jolly to the Far East is only 5 or so days before the start of the season as well. Would be hilarious if Sky pick them for a Friday night game

3 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Probably contracts they've had in place for a while with things like the "Premier League Cup" in Asia.

I can't stand it when teams play teams from their league in pre-season, it ruins the fun of it for me. I want to beat a Spanish team where I have no idea if they've played their actual starting 11 or if they're actually set for relegation, not just see the same teams over and over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Great the first kebab derby of the sport republic clubs.

I predict 4 own goals each and a draw with all the better players having season ending injuries.

I’m prepping the charter dinghy as we speak.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Any space onboard please let me know, flights looking pricey so will be official bingo bus for me or try to persuade @The Cat to drive 

Having checked it's a 1 day 9 hour drive, however there is an accident on the motorway just outside of Sofia which may cut the duration down.

We'd obviously have to factor in time spent stopping for ice cream though.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Having checked it's a 1 day 9 hour drive, however there is an accident on the motorway just outside of Sofia which may cut the duration down.

We'd obviously have to factor in time spent stopping for ice cream though.

If Ice cream is a code word for eastern european prostitutes then yeah factor that in.

7 hours ago, Master Bates said:

July 25th Weymouth v Saints first team

Remember a pre-season friendly there in 1990.

Couple of pissed up Saints fans went on the pitch at half time for a kick about with the Weymouth subs who let them join in. When the Weymouth players tried going off and taking the balls with them the fans tried grabbing the ball to continue their fun. Minor scrap broke out between the players and the two blokes.

More memorable than the game (although I have a vague recollection of Lee Luscombe playing for us, scoring a couple, then never playing for us again). 

16 minutes ago, JRM said:

Saturday 22nd July - Reading away 

Tuesday 25th July - Bournemouth home - don't think this is a great choice to be honest, would rather just play them behind closed doors 

Agree,
Can see quite a few of our once friendly neighbours turning up to gloat about the Prem/Championship divide.
If I am correct the last time we played B'mouth in a pre season friendly (At Dean Court|) Graziano Pelle may his debut and a young Jack Stephens played in mid field.
1-1 draw I think.
Jack could return as a B'mouth player, I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Saturday 22nd July - Reading away 

Tuesday 25th July - Bournemouth home - don't think this is a great choice to be honest, would rather just play them behind closed doors 

Don't see the sense in this, we played two months ago and a dispersal order was needed in the city, especially an evening game!

Overall quite a dull pre season lined up

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Fuckin Bournemouth? Seriously? If anything highlights just far we have fallen, this is it.

Time we accepted our new role as a lower league team, and as the minnows of the south coast. It saddens me though: I still remember the good old days when we were all just honoured to be in the same league as them.

Really, this pre-season fixture is going to be like a cup final to us, so I expect a big turnout.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Fuckin Bournemouth? Seriously? If anything highlights just far we have fallen, this is it.

Yep. The fact that we are in a lower league than fucking Bournemouth says it all. The PL must have more "small" clubs than ever with Bournemouth, Luton, Brentford, Burnley and a few others making up the numbers. Fair play to every one of them, though, you don't get there or stay there on the basis of stadium or fan base.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Its a chance for us to watch plucky championship Saints against  Premier league opposition,  hopefully they bring all their star players 

• Like 2