The Grim Reaper

Lighthouse

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Indeed he is, but nothing is more certain than death and taxes.

All very personal for me. I lost my lovely wife early in October. She was magnificent, never angry or complaining.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Indeed he is, but nothing is more certain than death and taxes.

All very personal for me. I lost my lovely wife early in October. She was magnificent, never angry or complaining.

Very sorry to hear that Whitey. As someone who has experienced similar grief I can assure you that things may be very different but a good life is very possible  in the future. 

• Like 4

Just now, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

I am so sorry Whitey. It must be incredibly hard. Look after yourself.

Thanks.

It all seems so very strange. Death comes to all of us sooner or later and we often talked about it but we were hoping for a bit more. We were only (!) 74 and we had a retirement planned.

Yet my situation is going to arise for nearly half of the population and in many ways we all think that it isn’t going to happen and push it back into some corner of our minds.

You could never describe it as a tragedy and we have had a life full of interests and lots of travel and we have two children and seven grandchildren so we can be proud of what we have achieved. What matters is how you lived your lives.

We spent all our lives building a home for a family and before we knew it there’s no longer any need for it. 

Don’t waste any opportunity to give your loved ones a big hug and does anybody want any kitchen casseroles? :)

• Like 21

Be as kind to yourself as you can. Its tough and even those of us that have been through it can't really give any advice other than that. Grief is such a personal thing and there is no right or wrong way to do it. My experience of it is it is cyclical rather than a linear thing which makes a mockery of the lame platitude of 'time being a great healer.' This coming Tuesday marks 2 years since my wife died. I'm OK, I've got on with things but I have those moments when it comes up and slaps me in the face when least I expect. Its a bit like that. Take care. PM if you feel it might help.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

Be as kind to yourself as you can. Its tough and even those of us that have been through it can't really give any advice other than that. Grief is such a personal thing and there is no right or wrong way to do it. My experience of it is it is cyclical rather than a linear thing which makes a mockery of the lame platitude of 'time being a great healer.' This coming Tuesday marks 2 years since my wife died. I'm OK, I've got on with things but I have those moments when it comes up and slaps me in the face when least I expect. Its a bit like that. Take care. PM if you feel it might help.

Very wise words. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Growing up in north Ampshoire we heard him on Radio 210, out of Reading. He was an alchemists apprentice experimenting with all sorts, having a station owner who was a bit of character, gave Steve all the rope he wanted to develop his style. The (Mike) Read and Wright show was the topic of many local conversations.