Fabio Carvalho

Fraser Spinney

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm not 100% sure he's what we need - seems to generally play off the left or more centrally. Unless someone like Alcaraz is off, both are positions we're pretty well stocked in. 

Fair play to Hull however. Building a really good squad for the back end of the season. 

Agreed, seems more of a wide ten, than a pacey winger, would’ve been a good signing, but I don’t see losing out as a disaster. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Carvalho held positive talks with Hull head coach Liam Rosenior and Liverpool team-mate Tyler Morton, who is there on a season-long deal.

For a young player going to unfamiliar territory, having a 'mate' at the club is probably a bigger factor than we might think, especially if the final decision is ultimately with the player rather than either club.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

Agreed, seems more of a wide ten, than a pacey winger, would’ve been a good signing, but I don’t see losing out as a disaster. 

I really like the look of the David Brooks links. I think he'd be very similar to Fraser for us. 7 or 8 out of 10 every week 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

It's probably more to do with guarantees of playing time than anything else.  He wants and needs as many games as possible and Hull are probably making a more convincing case than we are of him getting it.

In one of the reports quoted above, that doesn't seem to be an issue/factor, on the surface; i.e. "The proposals from both Hull and Southampton suit Liverpool so it will be Carvalho’s decision" (David Ormstein). If we weren't offering a similar amount of game time then I doubt that would "suit" Liverpool...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

I really like the look of the David Brooks links. I think he'd be very similar to Fraser for us. 7 or 8 out of 10 every week 

I’m with you, think he suits us down to the ground. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

In one of the reports quoted above, that doesn't seem to be an issue/factor, on the surface; i.e. "The proposals from both Hull and Southampton suit Liverpool so it will be Carvalho’s decision" (David Ormstein)

They'll have had more detailed discussions about what kind of role he would be playing and how much.  Both proposals may be acceptable but one might be better than the other from a playing perspective.  Or he may just really like his mate and not want to be too far away from him like you suggested.

• Like 2

He will start every week at Hull be there superstar player and likely they will accommodate for his talent and play FOR him - not other way around. He might play 20 full matches between now and end season that way. 

I strongly doubt he plays that many for Saints. I strongly doubt we make him our main man either. He has to buckle down and win and keep his place in our first 11. With strong international quality competition there. 

Given same money for both I know which looks better to a kid. ( though possibility of getting a medal with Saints is a factor I guess?) 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

Maybe Carvalho doesnt like the prospect of playing slow, ponderous, crab-like Russball....

In all seriousness though, sometimes it can come down to a simple preference of the player, for instance living closer to Liverpool. Disappointing to miss out on a quality player but no doubt we'll get a good option in

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

It's probably more to do with guarantees of playing time than anything else.  He wants and needs as many games as possible and Hull are probably making a more convincing case than we are of him getting it.

Was gonna say the same,and I think we are right not to do that.  Arma is doing great there,It seems a bit like trying to mess with the winning formula to start changing this to bring in a new left footed right winger.Makes much more sense to just sign  a proper cf and leave Armstrong there 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Was gonna say the same and I think we are right not to do that.  Arma is doing great there It seems a bit like trying to mess with the winning formula to start changing this to bring in a new left footed right winger makes much more sense to just sign  a proper cf and leave Armstrong there 

But we are clearly looking to being in a wide right type of player.

38 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Was gonna say the same and I think we are right not to do that.  Arma is doing great there It seems a bit like trying to mess with the winning formula to start changing this to bring in a new left footed right winger makes much more sense to just sign  a proper cf and leave Armstrong there 

Agreed, but we've been crying out for that for at least two seasons haven't we ? Not confident they'll address that now, it's almost a 'mental block'.

• Confused 1

On 08/01/2024 at 11:38, trousers said:

For a young player going to unfamiliar territory, having a 'mate' at the club is probably a bigger factor than we might think, especially if the final decision is ultimately with the player rather than either club.

Does Charly have any handy mates back home who might fancy a loan? 🧐

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

15 hours ago, M271 said:

Just shows it is not as easy as a great many on here think it is to get decent players to come to SFC

It's not like buying everyday items when you recruit footballers who have the choice of saying no when approaches come to join the club and no seems the answer to a great deal of our questions

At a certain point we should accept that Carvalho doesn't want to play for Saints. He chose the Liverpool bench over us and now he wants to live in Hull. If that's not saying "I hate Southampton and never want to live there" without saying "I hate Southampton and never want to live there" then I don't know what is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3