Fabio Carvalho

Fraser Spinney

We've been linked with a loan move for Liverpool's Fabio Carvalho. Scored 11 goals and got 8 assists in all comps for Fulham when he was 19 and would be a very good signing in my opinion. Written about him and where he could play here:

https://www.southamptonfc.news/opinion/southampton-linked-with-january-swoop-for-liverpool-gem-to-propel-promotion-push/

• Like 3

Not sure what’s happened, but at Fulham and in his first few Liverpool appearances I thought he was very good and gutted we missed out on him at first. If he can recapture that he would be the best player in the Championship. Would be a real coup, similar to Harwood-Bellis. Only downside would be no chance of making the loan a permanent. Can’t believe Premier League sides are going to ignore him, though. A Luton, Sheffield United, or Burnley would definitely take him. Perhaps this story was fed to Romano from his agent to alert clubs to the fact that Carvalho is available this window. 

Che must leave if Carvalho is to come. Only way that can work I reckon. 

Che costs us his foregone January fee - say £6m if he stays and leaves end of season. 

But what is his absence going to cost to the team in the back end of the season? 

Would Carvalho score the 6/7/8 goals that I think we reasonably might expect from Che between now and end of season? 

Would Carvalho better Che’s assists? 

Would Carvalho learn our PB based style quickly enough not to be a liability early doors? 

How would rest of squad ( especially younger attacking players  ) feel about his getting a starting berth so quickly?

Ah the joys of football management! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Not sure what’s happened, but at Fulham and in his first few Liverpool appearances I thought he was very good and gutted we missed out on him at first. If he can recapture that he would be the best player in the Championship. Would be a real coup, similar to Harwood-Bellis. Only downside would be no chance of making the loan a permanent. Can’t believe Premier League sides are going to ignore him, though. A Luton, Sheffield United, or Burnley would definitely take him. Perhaps this story was fed to Romano from his agent to alert clubs to the fact that Carvalho is available this window. 

The article says that Liverpool don't want to sell, they see a future for him.

Also surley agents don't really need to feed stories, just a few phone calls and everyone in the business knows what's going on.

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Che must leave if Carvalho is to come. Only way that can work I reckon. 

Che costs us his foregone January fee - say £6m if he stays and leaves end of season. 

But what is his absence going to cost to the team in the back end of the season? 

Would Carvalho score the 6/7/8 goals that I think we reasonably might expect from Che between now and end of season? 

Would Carvalho better Che’s assists? 

Would Carvalho learn our PB based style quickly enough not to be a liability early doors? 

How would rest of squad ( especially younger attacking players  ) feel about his getting a starting berth so quickly?

Ah the joys of football management! 

How does that work? Carvalho is a wide player, Che is our only fit out and out striker.

We need a striker even if Che stays, so if he goes I cannot see any possibility that his replacement would be a wide player. It would leave us so unbelievably short in a proper number 9 and that would cost us. I hope the club aren't that daft!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

How does that work? Carvalho is a wide player, Che is our only fit out and out striker.

We need a striker even if Che stays, so if he goes I cannot see any possibility that his replacement would be a wide player. It would leave us so unbelievably short in a proper number 9 and that would cost us. I hope the club aren't that daft!

You nay be right but we are not being associated with another #9 - but rather attacking right forward type players . 

And the clearest favourite ( aside from AN) to leave this window is Che imo . 

IF Carvalho was brought in essentially we’d be getting more of the false 9 type approach that, so far, has proven effect five in this league. 

I do t see us getting a Carvalho plus another #9 unless it’s very special circumstances. If one was available at a great price or if AA got injured essentially . 

That Ben guy- his goals look for all the world like exact goals KWP scores - which does worry me a tad! 

Edited by gio1saints

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Adam Armstrong is a striker, 12 goals and 9 assists.

• Like 1

I do wonder if some of our difficulties in getting a striker is understanding what we want. That’s not an Adam Armstrong style player - he struggles playing up top but has looked excellent as an ‘inside forward’. What is clear is that RM wants a player with the style of Ross Stewart (not seen enough of him to know how he plays). Extremely hard position to get in Jan, so can understand the focus on a right winger instead - which we also need as all our wingers perform and prefer on the left

On 01/01/2024 at 10:58, gio1saints said:

You nay be right but we are not being associated with another #9 - but rather attacking right forward type players . 

And the clearest favourite ( aside from AN) to leave this window is Che imo . 

IF Carvalho was brought in essentially we’d be getting more of the false 9 type approach that, so far, has proven effect five in this league. 

I do t see us getting a Carvalho plus another #9 unless it’s very special circumstances. If one was available at a great price or if AA got injured essentially . 

That Ben guy- his goals look for all the world like exact goals KWP scores - which does worry me a tad! 

What on earth are you rambling on about. 

We're clearly being linked with someone who can play on the right to fill the void of Tella. If Che goes, which is likley, we'll bring in a number 9 as well. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

What on earth are you rambling on about. 

We're clearly being linked with someone who can play on the right to fill the void of Tella. If Che goes, which is likley, we'll bring in a number 9 as well. 

What on earth are YOU rambling on about?😂

We are being associated with plenty right sided forward attacking players. Ie #7 types. 

I do not sense we are being associated with another #9 at present - unless Che leaves. And if so more likely a loan or a cheap purchase rather than big money Striker. RM has stated if Che leaves he’ll be replaced - but not by whom and not specifically by what style of player.  

IF Che leaves it’s entirely possible the accountants win and he is not replaced - it’s not unfeasible that the new #7 we appear to be keen to get plays as a false #9 at times as per our current system in which case. 

Hope that’s unrambled it for you. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

What on earth are YOU rambling on about?😂

We are being associated with plenty right sided forward attacking players. Ie #7 types. 

I do not sense we are being associated with another #9 at present - unless Che leaves. And if so more likely a loan or a cheap purchase rather than big money Striker. RM has stated if Che leaves he’ll be replaced - but not by whom and not specifically by what style of player.  

IF Che leaves it’s entirely possible the accountants win and he is not replaced - it’s not unfeasible that the new #7 we appear to be keen to get plays as a false #9 at times as per our current system in which case. 

Hope that’s unrambled it for you. 😂😂😂😂

You've been playing to many computer games mate. You're talking utter shite. 

A right winger will (hopefully) come in, to play off the right. Not in some hipster football manager configuration set up. 

If che leaves, we'll bring in a center forward, to play center forward. 

• Like 1

Why not stick to refuting my comment- the abuse is uncalled for. 

If Che leaves you state we will get a replacement? I don't disagree. It’s very possible. It’s been mentioned by RM. 

But do you really think it’s “utter shite” to think Saints might not want to splurge big money on another CF when we already got one new one crocked and Sekou awaiting his chance?

And if so, a new #7 who can do both might be a cost effective solution? It’s just a possibility. 

The possibility of a right sided forward / winger also playing as nine is not a computer game, mate. It’s what Saints been doing for quite some time with Adam Armstrong and it’s proven successful.

It’s clear what style of football you prefer and it’s not that. Saints bought a 6ft 2” cf to play the more traditional striker role that I expect you are more in favour of - but he’s crocked. How many big men we need? If a #7 can do both why is that utter shite? 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

But do you really think it’s “utter shite” to think Saints might not want to splurge big money on another CF when we already got one new one crocked and Sekou awaiting his chance?

It is utter shite. If Adams goes, there is no way we are going into the second half of the season with only Armstrong and Mara as striking options. You can pretty much write Stewart off this season as well. We may not spend big, but to suggest that Adams goes and won't be replaced is nonsense. 

• Like 1

Martin and Wilcox know we need goalscorers. With someone reliable on the end of our service the pressure would likely  give us serious momentum towards automatic promotion. I think we will get a permanent number 9, one of the two Scottish lads, and a winger on loan. That may be Carvalho but I doubt it, more likely a player to try before you buy depending on what happens in May. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

It is utter shite. If Adams goes, there is no way we are going into the second half of the season with only Armstrong and Mara as striking options. You can pretty much write Stewart off this season as well. We may not spend big, but to suggest that Adams goes and won't be replaced is nonsense. 

I did not deny we are unlikely to go into 2nd half of the season without replacing Che - if he leaves. I agree it’s very likely. Indeed if he goes I think we WILL get a replacement. Probably low fee as you say. 

I just speculate that if a #7 can do both - and this is potentially where the finance dept step in - that this too is a possibility. I then noted AA has essentially proved that kind of role can work and the existence of RS and SM seem to give a bit more credence to that accountants argument. 

It is in the realm of possibility. Just like getting a separate #9 and a separate #7 is. So why do you and Dman need jump in to insult me for simply suggesting it? It’s a forum to speculate on Saints possible transfers. 

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I did not deny we are unlikely to go into 2nd half of the season without replacing Che - if he leaves. I agree it’s very likely. Indeed if he goes I think we WILL get a replacement. Probably low fee as you say. 

I just speculate that if a #7 can do both - and this is potentially where the finance dept step in - that this too is a possibility. I then noted AA has essentially proved that kind of role can work and the existence of RS and SM seem to give a bit more credence to that accountants argument. 

It is in the realm of possibility. Just like getting a separate #9 and a separate #7 is. So why do you and Dman need jump in to insult me for simply suggesting it? It’s a forum to speculate on Saints possible transfers. 

Look at who we've been linked with - Brooks, Benson, Diallo (admitidly Carvalio isn't) all left footed players who play on the right... Its pretty obvious that we're looking to sign a right winger, to play on the right and not some hipser "#7" who can play "false 9" to save a few quid. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Martin and Wilcox know we need goalscorers. With someone reliable on the end of our service the pressure would likely  give us serious momentum towards automatic promotion. I think we will get a permanent number 9, one of the two Scottish lads, and a winger on loan. That may be Carvalho but I doubt it, more likely a player to try before you buy depending on what happens in May. 

Personally - Diallo, Brooks or Benson would be my choice in said order. Both would fill the void of what we're missing drastically improve us in the final 3rd, imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Personally - Diallo, Brooks or Benson would be my choice in said order. Both would fill the void of what we're missing drastically improve us in the final 3rd, imo. 

Diallo I thought was off to AFCON? 

57 minutes ago, Dman said:

In the current team who would new recruits such as these replace?

2 minutes ago, M271 said:

Well we've played a RB (KWP) at RW in 2 of the past 3 games...... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M271 said:

KWP at present would be the one to be replaced by a new right wing.

Presumably kwp would revert to RB or LB depending on Brees fitness, I guess 

This apparently strong desire to buy / rent a #7 may or may not have something to do with KWP’s future either now or in the summer. Just a thought. 

Also consider that Stu aged 31 is also out of contract in summer. He’s a right footed attacking mf. Maybe we just thinking ahead. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

KWP at present would be the one to be replaced by a new right wing.

Presumably kwp would revert to RB or LB depending on Brees fitness, I guess 

This apparently strong desire to buy / rent a #7 may or may not have something to do with KWP’s future either now or in the summer. Just a thought. 

Also consider that Stu aged 31 is also out of contract in summer. He’s a right footed attacking mf. Maybe we just thinking ahead. 

You need to stop thinking and just look at the obvious. 

At the start of the season we had Tella playing on the right. We never replaced tella and have largely played AA on the right since. 

Should we sign a right winger, it will be to replace the void left when we lost Tella - Nothing to do with KWP and / or Stu. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

You need to stop thinking and just look at the obvious. 

At the start of the season we had Tella playing on the right. We never replaced tella and have largely played AA on the right since. 

Should we sign a right winger, it will be to replace the void left when we lost Tella - Nothing to do with KWP and / or Stu. 

Yep Martin went on record and said we wanted to replace Tella in the summer. We tried to sign Patrick Roberts but Sunderland priced us out. 

• Like 2

I enjoy walking through tactical / strategic situations like this so please don’t get offended if you feel it’s overthinking. 

I agree with you generally here - it was well noted saints would replace Tella. But Saints did not. They bought a CF instead. They rented RF instead ( though it was quoted that RF was NOT the Tella replacement). 

The unspoken logic ( and this is my interpretation - just an opinion) was that between Sam, KS, Amo, now RF and even Charlie AA and Stu we might be able to sort it out. 

Clearly it’s got to the stage where it’s not been sorted out because we have to play KWP up front on the right - to the detriment of our right sided defence some might say. 

KWP’s future IS relevant though. If he is sold for £25m now or summer we appear pretty weak on the rh side. Which would not be quite the case if we had brought in a decent #7 type on loan with perhaps right to buy this window and they worked out well. IF we get a high level #7 it gives saints a little wiggle room if a big offer comes in for KWP. At present he’s virtually untouchable ( or as untouchable as anyone in our squad with these owners can be I should say- they all have a price). 

Edited by gio1saints

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Whilst i admire the bravery of your post can you clarify what you mean by a 7?  Kenny Dalglish was a number 7, so was Brian Robson, so was David Beckham and Eric Cantona. Mind you Ronaldo was a 7 and he could do both, maybe we should being him in the feed off Mason Mounts through balls when he joins. Should probably not try and get Ngolo Kante in though, dont think he'd suit right wing/striker.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Look at who we've been linked with - Brooks, Benson, Diallo (admitidly Carvalio isn't) all left footed players who play on the right... Its pretty obvious that we're looking to sign a right winger, to play on the right and not some hipser "#7" who can play "false 9" to save a few quid. 

The thing is Arma is playing on the right and killing it .. the logical move would be to get another centre forward as che isn’t good enough ..

why fuck about moving Arma when he’s delivering goals and assists like he is ?

• Like 5

By #7 I meant as shorthand for predominantly right sided attacker. What used to be called a right wing. 

Most the stories seem to be around that “ type” of player but the definition does have a grey zone as you allude. 

4 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Wasn't intended to be an insult, just that the idea of letting Adams go without a replacement is utter nonsense. Mara cannot be expected to step up to the level that we are going to require over the next few months. If we only get one player through the door this window, I would rather it be an out and out goalscorer rather than any other position.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Whilst i admire the bravery of your post can you clarify what you mean by a 7?  Kenny Dalglish was a number 7, so was Brian Robson, so was David Beckham and Eric Cantona. Mind you Ronaldo was a 7 and he could do both, maybe we should being him in the feed off Mason Mounts through balls when he joins. Should probably not try and get Ngolo Kante in though, dont think he'd suit right wing/striker.

Or maybe a Tomasz Hajto number 7, making runs like a steam train from right back?

Just now, Paul Chuckle said:

Or maybe a Tomasz Hajto number 7, making runs like a steam train from right back?

Could have two sevens with Rudi Skacel making same runs from left back/midfield. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Le Tissier or Kevin Keegan number seven. Piece of piss for Jase…

I find it quite bizarre that we are being linked with left footed right wingers! If, as we are being led to believe, there is a limited budget for transfers and loans in January, is that really our number one priority? Don't get me wrong - if we can get someone who is higher quality than what we have already then that will be great! It just doesn't strike me that it is the area of our squad where we have the greatest need!

To illustrate what I am saying here we could take a look at Saints squad positions and who can play in those positions. I have made an attempt at this below, recognising that many players can play in more than one position and that some of these are injured:

GK: Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley.

FB: KWP, Manning, Bree, Stephens, Larios, Holgate.

CB: THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Charles, Holgate.

CDM/CM: Smallbone, Downes, Charles, Alcaraz, Stu Armstrong.

AM: Alcaraz, Stu Armstrong, Aribo, Fraser, A. Armstrong.

LW/RW: Sulemana, Edozie, Fraser, Stu Armstrong, A. Armstrong, Mara, Amo-Ameyaw, Dibling, Doyle, KWP.

CF: A. Armstrong, Che, Mara, Stewart, (Ballard)

As I look at that it strikes me that our biggest need could be in central defence where any injury would leave us relying heavily on Charles and Holgate as the next line of cover from the bench. With Alcaraz and Stu Armstrong more suited to the AM role than a CM role (and definitely not a CDM role!) we could also be short in the middle should Downes or Smallbone get injured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I find it quite bizarre that we are being linked with left footed right wingers! If, as we are being led to believe, there is a limited budget for transfers and loans in January, is that really our number one priority? Don't get me wrong - if we can get someone who is higher quality than what we have already then that will be great! It just doesn't strike me that it is the area of our squad where we have the greatest need!

To illustrate what I am saying here we could take a look at Saints squad positions and who can play in those positions. I have made an attempt at this below, recognising that many players can play in more than one position and that some of these are injured:

GK: Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley.

FB: KWP, Manning, Bree, Stephens, Larios, Holgate.

CB: THB, Bednarek, Stephens, Charles, Holgate.

CDM/CM: Smallbone, Downes, Charles, Alcaraz, Stu Armstrong.

AM: Alcaraz, Stu Armstrong, Aribo, Fraser, A. Armstrong.

LW/RW: Sulemana, Edozie, Fraser, Stu Armstrong, A. Armstrong, Mara, Amo-Ameyaw, Dibling, Doyle, KWP.

CF: A. Armstrong, Che, Mara, Stewart, (Ballard)

As I look at that it strikes me that our biggest need could be in central defence where any injury would leave us relying heavily on Charles and Holgate as the next line of cover from the bench. With Alcaraz and Stu Armstrong more suited to the AM role than a CM role (and definitely not a CDM role!) we could also be short in the middle should Downes or Smallbone get injured.

Nice reframing of the situation.

There’s only one reason I can think of why Ryan Fraser cannot play RW for example, or Amo for that matter instead of KWP. 

That reason is that RM does not ( currently) think they’d be better than the current KWP and JS at RB solution.

Otherwise why is super sub Ryan Fraser for instance or boy wonder Amo not being given run outs at right wing already? And ditto we have KS back in four weeks so what’s the big rush?

Question I ask myself is would KWP at RB plus a new right wing be better than

1. KWP plus Jack Stephens at RB ( the current status quo) ? 

2. KWP plus James Bree at RB?
3. Ryan Fraser plus KWP at RB?
4. Amo plus KWP at RB?

5. In late Feb, Kameldeen plus KWP at RB?

That I cannot get a clear answer leads me to feel this search for a right wing is maybe not so mission critical as people might think. 

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hull are building quite a nice team, especially going forward. Will surely get Playoffs.

We tried to hijack their Philogene transfer on summer deadline day and now they look to be getting Carvalho ahead of us. I would have expected we had much greater pull?

Are we really not able to offer a player of this quality playing time assurances?

Edited by goodymatt

5 minutes ago, waylander said:

Who does he displace in our starting line-up?

Probably Adam Armstrong, so he can shift more centrally, or negate the need to shift KwP up top...It is obvious Russell wants a wide right, left footer, and has since the summer

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

David Ornstein, for The Athletic:

Liverpool midfielder Fabio Carvalho is expected to join Hull City on loan until the summer.

The 21-year-old has generated interest from a host of clubs since returning from a spell at RB Leipzig, with Hull’s Championship rivals Southampton also keen to secure his services.

Southampton have not given up hope of signing Carvalho, but Hull are now strong favourites to recruit the Portugal Under-21 international.

Carvalho held positive talks with Hull head coach Liam Rosenior and Liverpool team-mate Tyler Morton, who is there on a season-long deal.

The proposals from both Hull and Southampton suit Liverpool so it will be Carvalho’s decision and, barring a late twist, it is anticipated his move to the MMK Stadium will be finalised this week.

I'm not 100% sure he's what we need - seems to generally play off the left or more centrally. Unless someone like Alcaraz is off, both are positions we're pretty well stocked in. 

Fair play to Hull however. Building a really good squad for the back end of the season.