Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

36 minutes ago, derry said:

I've read some of the criticism of Stephens. To be fair he has messed up in about three games now. His back pass to Bazunu who messed up was poor, the next game he opted not to make a safe pass to THB who was  wide open, instead passed to Manning who hit a hospital ball to Fraser on the congested side which ended up us losing the ball and conceding a goal. Yesterday he messed up several passes giving the ball to Swansea on the edge of our box. He was playing on the left side, in the first game as he replaced Bednarek but when he replaced THB yesterday Bednarek moved left to right and the predominantly right sided Stephens took the left side. That made no sense to me. He doesn't look comfortable on the left maybe having to cover because Manning's regularly going missing on that side.

It was a lovely display in the first half and until we made the substitutions we were comfortable. Rothwell looked all at sea trying to fit in, give him time. It's obvious we are trying to give time to those players on the edge of the team to integrate them and improve them but I think as in the case of Stephens we shouldn't make life difficult for him, unnecessarily putting him on the left. Manning on the other hand defensively is poor. We are crying out for a good class left back.

I've watched back and Stephens passes were sloppy, he'll know that.

Rothwell - just looked to me like he just wasn't sure where to play, contributed to us losing coordination in midfield, another full week training and have another go at Watford. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JRM said:

I've watched back and Stephens passes were sloppy, he'll know that.

Rothwell - just looked to me like he just wasn't sure where to play, contributed to us losing coordination in midfield, another full week training and have another go at Watford. 

I thought it was strange putting him on instead of Shea or Charlie as we have often previously seen.  
If we wanted to keep offensive pushing forward Charlie should have come on. If we wanted to shut up shop it should have been Shea. 
Putting Rothwell on was neither and actually something of a confusing vote of no confidence in the other two. That call made for good reasons but seriously contributed to our scrappy last twenty. All on RM imo. But that’s what he’s paid for I guess. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JRM said:

Unlike any previous season where we can attempt to chuck someone straight into the team, under Rusty’s style this is almost impossible without looking out of place. Was the same with Holgate when he first came in against Sunderland and with Rothwell yesterday. Was all over the place, but he will learn in time. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, JRM said:

Aren't suspensions relating to bookings competition specific? 

They never used to be. Suspended for the next game for which they were eligible, or something.

But as others have pointed out, we would have been down to ten men, which we effectively were once Stephens had come on. Apparently.

57 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They never used to be. Suspended for the next game for which they were eligible, or something.

But as others have pointed out, we would have been down to ten men, which we effectively were once Stephens had come on. Apparently.

It is confusing, a straight red is a suspension is all competition's, but not for yellows: 

Since the 2019/20 campaign, yellow cards in English domestic football are contained to the competition they were awarded in. If a player is booked in consecutive FA Cup games they will be suspended for their club's next FA Cup tie. But the same indisciplined individual would be available to play in the Premier League.

The same rule extends across England's domestic competitions. If a player is handed a yellow-card suspension in the Premier League, they will be available for the next cup game, be that in the FA Cup or its Carabao equivalent.

In the past, players could have timed their ban-inducing yellow card so that they could serve their league suspension during a cup tie. This is no longer the case

• Like 1

It's tempting to hope for a Leicester win so that we stay in second place but it would be a precarious position with 18 games still to play. A win for Ipswich, cancelling out our result at Swansea, would be disappointing but in my opinion, a draw would suit us best because both clubs would lose 2 points.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2024 at 16:34, gio1saints said:

My view on why we looked a bit dodgy second half was because that is literally the first time we’ve had the opportunity to “ manage” the game from a position of strength half time. 

Im not buying that the main reason is that Jack Stephens is shit - as some above would,  ridiculously, have you believe. 

We did not fail the test. They did not score. We managed the match from that perspective. Am I happy at that bad playing especially latter stages- no- but all this outrage about what a shit captain we have. Get a grip of yerselves. A team 21 unbeaten best in all our history and all you got is our captain is shit - I literally cannot believe the lack of grace and class in our fanbase sometimes. Be grateful for once you entitled so an sos. You ain’t never gonna see this record beaten again in your lifetime - and you cannot just say “ well done team?” Yiu got to hate on the captain? With support like that who needs opponents. Pathetic really. You don't deserve this record breaking team. 

Well said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2024 at 03:54, Totton Saint said:

Been watching L. and Ipswich and I will nevr know how either of them have got in the league positions they are at.  Very boring game nothing like saints matches

Apparently on their forums, a lot of Leicester fans think we will win the league and they will finish second.

13 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Apparently on their forums, a lot of Leicester fans think we will win the league and they will finish second.

Get this window right, and I'd agree with them. 

Just now, austsaint said:

More information please egg.   What do you want to happen in the next week or so to raise your confidence levels that high?

Lose nobody. Another striker ready to hit the ground running would be a bonus. 

49 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I was hoping we could pull a few million out the bag for Morgan Whittaker I have to admit.

Someone like him would be nice, but I don't think we need him. We're not struggling to score, and Sulemana is on his way back.