Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

Russell Martin returns to his old club with the target of breaking our football league undefeated record. 5-0 winners vs Swansea at St. Mary’s should give us confidence. Swansea now managed by one of Martin’s former assistants. We have the momentum with us and I fully expect another win, even though managers going back to previous teams can add a bit of extra pressure.

Saints would go back to 2nd with a win and stay there until at least Monday night, when Ipswich travel to Leicester. Leicester will be without Maresca in their dugout and Fatawu due to suspension.

Would be very "Saintsy" for our unbeaten run to end at our manager's former club, but I'm sticking with my newly formed hunch that we'll now go unbeaten for the rest of the season... so, 1-3 to the mighty Saints! COYR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Russell Martin returns to his old club with the target of breaking our football league undefeated record. 5-0 winners vs Swansea at St. Mary’s should give us confidence. Swansea now managed by one of Martin’s former assistants. We have the momentum with us and I fully expect another win, even though managers going back to previous teams can add a bit of extra pressure.

Saints would go back to 2nd with a win and stay there until at least Monday night, when Ipswich travel to Leicester. Leicester will be without Maresca in their dugout and Fatawu due to suspension.

Reasonably sure avoiding defeat will also be a new all time record for unbeaten away matches.

• Like 1

Unchanged side, routine 4-0 win, 3 goals in the 2nd half after it being 1-0 for fucking ages and missing some good chances.  Time to start delivering the goods away from home. 

Edited by Jack

Definitely one of those we must win. Yeah yeah yeah, I know in the grand scheme it is not, but for me it is as we draw too many away and need to start scoring like we do at home. Surely RM must be well up for this one, I hope he just stays as things are and does not try to be ultra clever to show them what they lost. Keep to the winning formula and this should be a nice comfy sort of 0-2.

Oddly enough, the Leicester Ipswich game...i would rather this was either a draw or even an Ipswich win. I don't care about going second now, more important to keep seeing Leicester drop form and let us both catch them and have a chance to win the bloody league at last.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, east-stand-nic said:

Definitely one of those we must win. Yeah yeah yeah, I know in the grand scheme it is not, but for me it is as we draw too many away and need to start scoring like we do at home. Surely RM must be well up for this one, I hope he just stays as things are and does not try to be ultra clever to show them what they lost. Keep to the winning formula and this should be a nice comfy sort of 0-2.

Oddly enough, the Leicester Ipswich game...i would rather this was either a draw or even an Ipswich win. I don't care about going second now, more important to keep seeing Leicester drop form and let us both catch them and have a chance to win the bloody league at last.

I'm starting to get super-confident too. I think we will catch Ipswich (I think it's more likely we will fall behind Leeds), so have half an eye on also catching Leicester. We are about 12/1 to win the league now...not a total pipe dream if we can keep this run going.

We just trundle on from "typical us we're going to lose because it's our former assistant manager" to "typical us we're going to lose because it's our managers return to his former club"

Look, we're going to win and be second all weekend long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

Surely the pre-match pessimists are going to join me in having full faith and confidence of another convincing win?

3-0 win to the Saints. Easy.

I'm not a pessimist but I have seen us draw at Watford, Norwich, Huddersfield, Coventry, a draw in this game would not surprise me at all. 

Last time I went to Swansea we stayed up through a single goal from the boy gabbiadini.. 

Wota night that was ! ..  we go back there Saturday in totally different circumstances ..looking for a win for a record unbeaten run in our history.. 

im going with a 0-2 win for us ! 
Arma and Alcaraz.

• Like 1

Since we hammered them, they've drawn away to Coventry (not easy), beat WBA at home (definitely not easy) and were denied a win away to Birmingham by a 95th minute equaliser.

Will be harder than some think, but if we're serious about 2nd place this season then we need to start winning more away games

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Since we hammered them, they've drawn away to Coventry (not easy), beat WBA at home (definitely not easy) and were denied a win away to Birmingham by a 95th minute equaliser.

Will be harder than some think, but if we're serious about 2nd place this season then we need to start winning more away games

I’m serious about first place!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CB Fry said:

We just trundle on from "typical us we're going to lose because it's our former assistant manager" to "typical us we're going to lose because it's our managers return to his former club"

How about "typical us to lose our unbeaten run, at our managers old club, to our managers old assistant"... Feels like a full house..

2-1 swans. 

10 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Last time I went to Swansea we stayed up through a single goal from the boy gabbiadini.. 

Wota night that was ! ..  we go back there Saturday in totally different circumstances ..looking for a win for a record unbeaten run in our history.. 

im going with a 0-2 win for us ! 
Arma and Alcaraz.

What a night that was, reminds me of a few wins we've had at Swansea so perhaps its a good ground for us,  often 1-0 , late Lambert goal in 2014 towards the end of the season was a good trip as well. 

3-2 win in the FA Cup recently, Martin might have been in charge for them and we needed a late goal to win it, empty stands with Wales slow to relax covid restrictions. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Does that coincide with their new manager being appointed? 

Was a very surprising line up last time ( JS at right back! Joe Aribo started! KWP was like everywhere!) v these. No Che. But it worked. 

Wonder if RM will refresh his starting line up again this time or revert to what is currently the standard when fit 11 ( Gav, RM, THB, Jan, KWP, WS, FD, SA, RF, AA & Che)? 

Our default team is predictable but means nothing if they cannot counter it. I personally would prefer him to pick that away line up than the rather exotic home match line up we used Boxing day. Though winning 5-0 does say it kinda worked. just dont think they get fooled twice on that. 

Very hard match in store and the players that start are going to have to put a lot of energy into this to stop early swans enthusiasm and desire to atone for the thrashing only a few weeks ago. 

Assuming we are not 3-0 down at HT I think we have more than enough to beat these - especially last quarter of the match when they may start to tire. 1-2 Saints. 

Edited by gio1saints

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Does that coincide with their new manager being appointed? 

His first game in charge was 6/1 vs Morecambe in FA Cup (2-0 win). This weekend’s 2-2 draw at Birmingham was his first Championship game. 

24 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

His first game in charge was 6/1 vs Morecambe in FA Cup (2-0 win). This weekend’s 2-2 draw at Birmingham was his first Championship game. 

Thanks, at least having two games already dilutes new manager bounce. They do seem to have turned things around since boxing day though. 

Anyone know if Saints are staying in the Marriot this time? TripAdvisor review from 2018 was a classic. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I would play the same team as last Saturday ✔️

100%. That’s our best side at the moment, everyone in their correct positions (though Arma might disagree) and absolutely no need to change it 

• Like 1

Should win. Might draw. Won't lose. Saints over the years have worn us down so much we can't believe good things will continue to happen to us. But they might. I have this down as a "must not lose" rather than a must win - though a draw is far from a good result at the moment with the other teams still picking up points, it might still get us a point closer to Ipswich who have Leicester. Fraser is on fire, Adams has found his scoring boots and the defence is keeping clean sheets  (bar the Baz brain fart and the Sargent goal that was flukey) - I struggle to see any result but a Saints win. I'll give Swansea a goal - 1-3.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CB Fry said:

All covered by typical us we are going to lose because I am a depressed pessimistic fucker who always fears the worst with the essential caveat for a Saints fan ‘I hope I am wrong’. Just to clarify that you aren’t one of those fans that wants us to lose - never met one but you never know.

20 hours ago, JRM said:

I'm not a pessimist but I have seen us draw at Watford, Norwich, Huddersfield, Coventry, a draw in this game would not surprise me at all. 

You are deluded my friend, you ARE a pessimist.

Look, most clubs in this league will have watched videos of us over and over again to try to work out in detail a plan to stop us, as Wednesday did on Saturday. Obviously they will all press early on to try and disrupt our rhythm and attack our weaknesses. Scant good it did Wednesday.

Keep the faith these lads of ours know what they are doing. We are quite good now and players have learned how to ghost their way around the pitch so that our passing game is not easily disrupted. OK, Swansea have a new manager who knows RM's style but so what, he's only just arrived and knowing is not the same as doing. As we have seen it takes ages to drill a team to react spontaneously and successfully to a game plan, not two weeks or whatever.

Travel in hope, we could and should win this match comfortably.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Look, most clubs in this league will have watched videos of us over and over again to try to work out in detail a plan to stop us, as Wednesday did on Saturday. Obviously they will all press early on to try and disrupt our rhythm and attack our weaknesses. Scant good it did Wednesday.

Keep the faith these lads of ours know what they are doing. We are quite good now and players have learned how to ghost their way around the pitch so that our passing game is not easily disrupted. OK, Swansea have a new manager who knows RM's style but so what, he's only just arrived and knowing is not the same as doing. As we have seen it takes ages to drill a team to react spontaneously and successfully to a game plan, not two weeks or whatever.

I didn't say we won't win, I said a draw would not surprise me based on other recent away games where we havent looked convincing. Keep yourself grounded and don't get too carried away. 

Should win. If we're serious about auto promotion we'll need to do incredibly well in our "easier" away games. We still have WBA, Leeds, Leicester and Ipswich away. This is a great chance to get another win.  Same team is fine with me. Think it gives us a really nice balance.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

"win this match comfortably" is an interesting quote, because it is the one thing that Saints haven't done in any of their away games this season. Our away record is pretty good: 6-5-2 (WDL). Goal difference is zero. However we have yet to win an away game by more than 1 goal.

At no point in the 1200 minutes played away from this season, has there been a moment when were leading by 2 goals, even though in most matches we have been dominating the game.  Something isn't quite working and it is why I don't share your confidence in a comfortable win. 

Some of the same observations could have been made about our home form 3 months ago, but that has changed and it is a pleasure to watch them at St Marys at the moment.   So on an optimistic note, RM was able to transform our home form, can he do the same away ?  

With 4 of the next 5 league games away from home, I suspect that we're about to find out the answer to that last question in the next month.  Fingers crossed you're right about comfortable wins ......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

"win this match comfortably" is an interesting quote, because it is the one thing that Saints haven't done in any of their away games this season. Our away record is pretty good: 6-5-2 (WDL). Goal difference is zero. However we have yet to win an away game by more than 1 goal.

At no point in the 1200 minutes played away from this season, has there been a moment when were leading by 2 goals, even though in most matches we have been dominating the game.  Something isn't quite working and it is why I don't share your confidence in a comfortable win. 

Some of the same observations could have been made about our home form 3 months ago, but that has changed and it is a pleasure to watch them at St Marys at the moment.   So on an optimistic note, RM was able to transform our home form, can he do the same away ?  

With 4 of the next 5 league games away from home, I suspect that we're about to find out the answer to that last question in the next month.  Fingers crossed you're right about comfortable wins ......

Some really good points and nicely picked up on the away form data.

A goal difference of zero really says we barely scraped over the line when we’ve won and have never destroyed teams like what happens at SMS. 

Perhaps, and maybe it’s wishful thinking, though 19 unbeaten is one hell of a reason to be optimistic - we have gradually learned to be better all-round- and this will soon - perhaps as the final piece of the performance jigsaw - translate into better more convincing winning away performances. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Some really good points and nicely picked up on the away form data.

A goal difference of zero really says we barely scraped over the line when we’ve won and have never destroyed teams like what happens at SMS. 

Perhaps, and maybe it’s wishful thinking, though 19 unbeaten is one hell of a reason to be optimistic - we have gradually learned to be better all-round- and this will soon - perhaps as the final piece of the performance jigsaw - translate into better more convincing winning away performances. 

It's also a lot to do with the 5-0 defeat at Sunderland though.

• Like 1

Betting odds have been a good guide to our games recently. On that basis there's about 60% chance of Saints win, 23 % of draw and 17 of Swansea win. Doesn't seem too far out, though I'd put out chances a bit higher than that

10 hours ago, adrian lord said:

This weekend is the potential fulcrum of the season, after which we cement our place in the automatic promotion spots and never leave them. 

There are a few on here that want Ipswich to win on Monday to dump us back into third and give Ipswich the biggest shot of confidence and self-belief they can wish for, nicely sat in second into February.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

This game will bring deep deep joy to all saintsweb members.

We will win this game easily, don't even sweat it, then on monday Ipswich have to play Leicester (so hopefully red cards and injuries on both) and I dont have a clue who Leeds are playing but they are due for a clusterfuck loss as they have won too many games recently.

Happy Dance GIF by Xbox

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This game will bring deep deep joy to all saintsweb members.

We will win this game easily, don't even sweat it, then on monday Ipswich have to play Leicester (so hopefully red cards and injuries on both) and I dont have a clue who Leeds are playing but they are due for a clusterfuck loss as they have won too many games recently.

Happy Dance GIF by Xbox

Leeds have Preston at home according to my work mate who is so pessimistic he would fit in well on here

• Haha 1

Much as I love the happy dancing dogs, to say we will win an away match easily is just a Bonio size too dogtastic for my imagination.

We have not won ANY match away from kennels easily for countless years let alone an away match easily during this walkies. I do think it’s a win but it requires some dogged application - so your dancing dogs are a good clue. 🐶 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Much as I love the happy dancing dogs, to say we will win an away match easily is just a Bonio size too dogtastic for my imagination.

We have not won ANY match away from kennels easily for countless years let alone an away match easily during this walkies. I do think it’s a win but it requires some dogged application - so your dancing dogs are a good clue. 🐶 😇

EASILY

Penguin Yes GIF by Bluey

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2024 at 12:23, Charlie Wayman said:

This one - this is my favourite Charlie Wayman! Can we have more of this one please 😇

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints - Saturday 12:30pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic