Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

here we are c/o the Athletic: 

In the last ten years 96 points was going to get you second place. There was no surely about it. 
This year is a ridiculous outlier for top teams points hence my use of term “ surely” . 

“If we get 96 points this season surely it will be enough “ is not crazy logic. 

Second place finishes, 2014-2023
SEASON TEAM FINAL TALLY

2013-14
Burnley
2014-15
Watford
2015-16
Middlesbrough
2016-17
Brighton
2017-18
Cardiff City
2018-19
Sheffield United
2019-20
West Brom
2020-21
Watford
2021-22
Bournemouth
2022-23
Sheffield United

18 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Now now T, when you are wrong yiu are wrong. Here, you are wrong. 

Put it this way, if it makes it clearer for you to understand,

I wrote that 96 is SURELY enough for automatic.

If your response to that is NO then your refutation ( though not inference regarding my state of mind) is valid.

But if your response is YES or even probably or possibly yes then my post is entirely logical. And your retorts missing the point rather badly. 

surely yes to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are essentially freebies. 

surely no to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are not essentially freebies.  

IF 96 points is enough to get automatic it is irrelevant who we get them from. Please don’t get upset that you overlooked that simple logic.  I know you take great care over the accuracy of your posts - especially the pictures which are often very pretty 😍 

If we give 3 points to those we’re fighting for promotion, then 96 points is less likely to be enough for auto promotion. So it DOES matter where the points come from. 

Anyway, there’s no point really deciding how many points are enough this season based on previous seasons totals. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

here we are c/o the Athletic: 

In the last ten years 96 points was going to get you second place. There was no surely about it. 
This year is a ridiculous outlier for top teams points hence my use of term “ surely” . 

“If we get 96 points this season surely it will be enough “ is not crazy logic. 

Second place finishes, 2014-2023
SEASON TEAM FINAL TALLY

2013-14
Burnley
2014-15
Watford
2015-16
Middlesbrough
2016-17
Brighton
2017-18
Cardiff City
2018-19
Sheffield United
2019-20
West Brom
2020-21
Watford
2021-22
Bournemouth
2022-23
Sheffield United

Logic dictates that the only inference from your post is that 96 points would have been enough for automatic promotion in the last 10 years.

There is nothing logical in trying to extropolate that to this season.

• Like 1

@Jack @Weston Super Saint
Were Saints to achieve 96 points from all the matches bar Leeds, Ipswich, LCFC and WBA away it is not guaranteed automatic promotion - true. 

I simply pointed out that IF we had achieved that then the four matches were essentially freebies. Worst case 96 - best case 108. 

What number of points before points from playing those four do you think you could say - ah I see what Gio is getting at here - is it 98? 100 points 104?

IF we won every match bar those four ( total points 100) do you still think 100 is not enough and that the matches are must win or not lose than than essentially freebies. 

It’s just a hypothetical discussion nothing to get too worried about. I personally feel 96/97 will be enough irrelevant where they come from but we shall see. Let’s hope we do get at least that! 😇

I think we will see a record breaking points haul from Leicester and 2nd place will be higher than usual too. Would be just typical for us to get relegated the season before the bottom 3 in the PL are so much weaker, combined with getting enough points to go up normally this season but ending up in the playoff lottery. There are no free hits, we are going to need to be relentless. Normal champions points may be needed just to get that 2nd place.

So keep it up Saints, starting with tomorrow and breaking that unbeaten football league record. We have the momentum over this amazing run but harder fixtures are to be faced. Go to Leicester in March and win for example and it will really feel like we have got this.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Now now T, when you are wrong yiu are wrong. Here, you are wrong. 

Put it this way, if it makes it clearer for you to understand,

I wrote that 96 is SURELY enough for automatic.

If your response to that is NO then your refutation ( though not inference regarding my state of mind) is valid.

But if your response is YES or even probably or possibly yes then my post is entirely logical. And your retorts missing the point rather badly. 

surely yes to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are essentially freebies. 

surely no to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are not essentially freebies.  

IF 96 points is enough to get automatic it is irrelevant who we get them from. Please don’t get upset that you overlooked that simple logic.  I know you take great care over the accuracy of your posts - especially the pictures which are often very pretty 😍 

In order for 96 points to be enough we need to be sure that two other teams don’t get more and it might be that losing the four important away games means that they will get enough points.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Logic dictates that the only inference from your post is that 96 points would have been enough for automatic promotion in the last 10 years.

There is nothing logical in trying to extropolate that to this season.

I am not extrapolating it. Stats are not a guarantee of future performance but it’s better than nothing - or pure opinion. 

I think this is going to be a fairly tight 2-1 to us. Need to be switched on for the full 90, no silly goals conceded in that last minutes.

Leicester v Ipswich feels like a draw to me. Saints to be 1 point behind Ipswich on Monday evening.

7 hours ago, Dman said:

Ha! He reminds more of a tamed down @TWar, whom coincidently, was also comapred to MLG and disapeared around a similar time 👀

Round about the time that Bad Wolf appeared. I’m sure it’s just coincidence 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dman said:

Ha! He reminds more of a tamed down @TWar, whom coincidently, was also comapred to MLG and disapeared around a similar time 👀

TWar used to write sermons and think he was a bit more clever and superior to everyone else too. Right up to when he claimed a left back was the worlds best right back. Maybe this free hit nonsense is Gios Alphonso Davies moment.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Were Saints to achieve 96 points from all the matches bar Leeds, Ipswich, LCFC and WBA away it is not guaranteed automatic promotion - true. 

I simply pointed out that IF we had achieved that then the four matches were essentially freebies. Worst case 96 - best case 108. 

What number of points before points from playing those four do you think you could say - ah I see what Gio is getting at here - is it 98? 100 points 104?

IF we won every match bar those four ( total points 100) do you still think 100 is not enough and that the matches are must win or not lose than than essentially freebies. 

It’s just a hypothetical discussion nothing to get too worried about. I personally feel 96/97 will be enough irrelevant where they come from but we shall see. Let’s hope we do get at least that! 😇

I can’t believe you’ve genuinely written all this  

Just fucking admit you were wrong ffs 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

If I was offered a 96 point finish now without knowing other results I would take it. Mostly likely it will be enough.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

In case you don't know, Sky is showing the game today

Kick Off 12:30. You’d be amazed the amount of supporters that thought it was a 3.pm kick start

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I’m nervous. Started drinking at 9.18 precisely. 
The Sailor jerrys rum is going down good. 

I’m nervous also, but so far am resisting the solace of the bottle 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

How come Rothwell is straight into the squad... I thought players needed a couple of months to get up to speed with Russ-ball

#banter #notserious

He clearly impresses in training (match fit,) and needs to see the team play from the bench,  and get to know everyone PDQ.

• Like 1

Swansea Presser....

• Just happens to be away to Swansea where we can beat the record. We really want to win
  • The players, staff, owners, fans. we want to do it for them
  • Make a bit of history would be great, but the incentive is simply to finish the day in 2nd place
  • Will catch up with a lot of people after the game
  • I don't know what reaction I will get, but the fans were brilliant with me when I was there
  • It will be a different game to what we had 3 weeks ago, it was a tough game for the first 60 mins
  • they have quality, and will be a different game
  • I am extremely grateful for the 2 years I had there. Will wait and see what the reaction, I can't control that. But I loved my time there
  • I want to go there and win, simple as that
  • Joe Rothwell will be in the squad, he is looking good. Will take time for him to understand out game but he is really good
  • With Joe Aribo away, Joe adds something, he also has excellent set-piece delivery. We can really help him and he can really help us
  • He is great friends with Arma and Jack. It is really important to get a feel of a player from others who have shared a dressing room with him
  • Both our captain and vice captain really spoke highly of Joe.
  • Joe is in, maybe 1 more, but I am really happy with the squad.
  • my message to clubs wanting Adams and KwP, probably off the party line, is go away
  • I love all our players and we have something brilliant here, it is a privilege. 
  • To keep this squad together is important, both Che and Kyle area massive parts of that, both are really happy
  • We have had interest in this window and the players have shot it down
  • I believe we need to get to the premier league together, but aware a lot can change in the week
  • If we lose anyone, we will try and replace them
  • I do not know if the club would turn down a right offer. Not my job, but they know what I want
  • The owners and Jason keep me in the loop on everything, and they really do know my feelings
  • Che is in such a good place, and we want to keep working with him
  • Just cannot wait to see some of their staff, some are really great friends, but my club now is in such a good place
  • I feel such a privilege and responsibility to manage my club now, I am quite emotional but I really want to win
  • I want to win, I now want to make history, I want to be in 2nd place at the end of the day
  • Joe is more of an advanced midfielder, with Aribo, Stuey and Carlos. Feb is chaos and we will need his qualities
  • We have given ourselves a problem with team selections, but he will also help us out a lot
  • he is not really competition for Flynn, but a new addition into the building the training stepped up a level
  • Our squad is important, we have the most goals from the bench, and it is a squad game, they all know their roles in/out of the team
  • Joe's arrival does not stop us from trying to get a RW, but no one really knew we wanted Joe, so nothing really changes. Joe will be great
  • If I was as good as Kyle, I would be showing off my skills on Instagram
  • I have spoken to Kyle and his agent (Jason speaks to them more). Not one conversation about him leaving
  • He is really enjoying himself, our style really suit him. I think it would take a lot of money to take him from here
  • No surprise top clubs want him, he is that good. But I will not waste energy on it, he still wants to improve and exploit his strengths
  • He is so gifted and he really wants to get better
  • He gets kicks a lot, Sheff Weds players were desperate to kick him
  • He is such a good pro, such an athlete and his mentality has grown as the season went on, which is why he plays all the time
  • There is still more for him to improve on but he is so gifted. The challenge is to keep him on the edge
  • I want to finish 2nd place, simple as that. We cannot control Ipswich and the unbeaten record is great, but we have to finish the say in 2nd place
  • We have to convert the away games from 1 point to 3
  • For the last game we worked on being without the ball, and we have continued that in areas and have of course, continued work with the ball
  • When you stand back in training, it is something. They train so hard and I have been really pleased this week
  • Been really good to be on the training ground more over the last few weeks
  • When you come in to a club and have a clear idea and vision, but you knew there would be pain with the mistakes - it takes time
  • We were aware of that, and our defeats so far have come in 1 month. I have real joy and pride in the players
  • But it is no where near the finished product, there is lots to improve on
  • It was disjoined in Sept, but we knew it would smooth out a bit. People inside the club were so patient at the time
  • After the Boro game, the penny dropped, the players really brought into it. It was a line in the moment
  • There have been really frustrating games in that time, so far from being rosey, but we are still learning and challenging
  • There are bumps, but the players are amazing, with so many young players. THB is a young player, Carlos is so young also, people seem to forget it
  • We try hard to improve them all, I am proud of the players on the unbeaten run. 
  • No one will care about the unbeaten run if we do not go up, the players are desperate for it
  • I have been shown so much support here, so much willingness from the players
  • My fear is not about the sack at the end of the season, but not showing the path we believe in
  • my last jobs do not look great on paper, but the constraints we had at them, we were really successful
  • But fans just want to win, and here is no different for validation. I dont want to be remembered as the guy who plays nice football
  • There was no doubt during sept, but this clubs expects to win. I hope to be in this job as long as possible, but I have to win
  • I wont be doing this at 75 like Roy Hodgson. I look at him and think wow, he is incredible.
  • I hope I am still at the club to see the changes at SMS. I believe they are talking to the fans all the time, and know they want to improve the match day experience
  • They did ask me and the players, and took our feedback. The atmosphere in the ground lately is amazing. Such a change compared to the start of the season
  • Supporters are very much a part of the home form. Opposition members of staff comment that the stadium is rocking and rolling and they fear coming to us
  • It is not easy to be this good without the support from the owners and fans. I am sure some will have mixed feelings on the proposed changes
  • Changes are proposed to make it better for the players as well as fans
  • Joe Rothwell will probably have his brain fried, we will coach the life out of him, he will of course talk to others
  • He will get on the pitch soon, and we can then show him video evidence of what he does well and not so well. He is a very clever lad
  • Joe stayed in the UK during his club's break as he was pushing for this deal and he is so happy
  • Ryan Manning has been great in the last 4-5 games, this is the Ryan I know
  • He was living in a hotel with his other half and a 6-month old baby as he was looking for the perfect house
  • He felt the expectation from the start ,then dropped off, probably due to lack of pre season
  • James Bree came in and was brilliant. Ryan knows that if he does not play well, Breezy and Kyle will play ahead of him
  • The expectation is different here, and he knows it. He knows we are expected to win.
  • He is great pals with Joe Lumley, and they are always up to no-good. Ryan is such a great person and please fans are seeing it now
  • Like 5

Interesting game. As has been said we need to start winning the tricky away fixtures. Live on Sky is a great way to show the neutrals how far we've come. 

Nervous? Sure I am, but hopefully the players aren't and just play we well as they have been lately. An odd goal win will do. Its all about keeping on the pressure at the top of the table.

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interestingly, after the chatter further up that our away from does not need to improve....Russell Martin disagrees

Not that anyone actually said our away form did not need to improve. Simply that it is already as good as it has ever been in the club's history and it is better over the last 9 games than anyone else in the League, so expecting it to improve is asking a lot. But today definitely a 'must win'. Here's hoping. Looks like our best team available again today.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints - Saturday 12:30pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic