Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

Half time.

Sensational at times, and I hate to pick holes in that performance but defensively we've looked a little suspect.

That aside, it's probably the most impressive we've been, just a level or two above Swansea. 

For the first time in a long time, I'm wondering just how many we can score in the second half....

Just now, SNSUN said:

Great first half bar one lapse of concentration. THB on a yellow worries me but other than that we've dominated and rightly so. Best football we've played in years.

We can easily sub him for Stephens if it looks like he might get another one, and still maintain our dominance.

Excellent first half.

Our defence shows that they can be brittle, for their goal Swansea had a 3 on 2 on the counter. But you can criticise the overall performance, totally dominant, gave away a crap goal then went up the other end and made amends.

Just now, SNSUN said:

Great first half bar one lapse of concentration. THB on a yellow worries me but other than that we've dominated and rightly so. Best football we've played in years.

Don't worry, he'll get hauled off to make way for JS at some point. Apart from conceding a soft goal, that was a great half. Absolutely bossed it

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

HT

5-0 would not be a flattering scoreline here....

It really should be, totally dominant one if the most one sided games I’ve seen some of the movement and passing is phenomenal. Surely we can’t be that dominant in the second half?

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Just how Saints have only scored three is nuts.

About as one sided a half as you're likely to see.   Downes tremendous even before his goal; Fraser and Stu working well together.    Strange lack of discipline from THB.  AA providing plenty of service.  Only disappointment for me, despite the goal is Smallbone; against the better sides we are going to need better.  Perhaps this is where Rothwell will feature.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Stu Armstrong when it gets played back to him, right before he plays it into the box. He's about a yard off

Ah, thanks. I’ve only got the one view on the replay but isn’t there a Swansea defender in the middle alongside Che who makes it a tight decision?

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Ah, thanks. I’ve only got the one view on the replay but isn’t there a Swansea defender in the middle alongside Che who makes it a tight decision?

it was clearly offside, should have been flagged. 

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Nah Armstrong was two or three feet offside.

Just now, Granite_City_Saint said:

It was a foul on Bazunu rather than a penalty in my view. Add that to the potential offside and the clear handball and no way was it a penalty, even if the goal wasn’t scored.

Absolutely wasn't a foul on Bazunu, that's absurd.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

About as one sided a half as you're likely to see.   Downes tremendous even before his goal; Fraser and Stu working well together.    Strange lack of discipline from THB.  AA providing plenty of service.  Only disappointment for me, despite the goal is Smallbone; against the better sides we are going to need better.  Perhaps this is where Rothwell will feature.

What do you want from him? Personally think he’s been excellent apart from the goal he has really broken up a lot of Swansea play. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Just sublime from Saints. Only thing missing is a cricket score. Swansea 'keeper their best player.

Yup, we should be burying teams for 6 or 7 goals when they play like this, maybe even more. Its crazy to think we've been as complacent as we have up front and could still have had another 3goals that half... Although saying that, maybe we should be grateful given one was offside and the other was a deflection 😅.

Eitherway, if Martin can improve our ruthlessness in front of goal, we really will be a terrifying prospect to play against.

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Really? He’s been decent and got a goal. Not really sure how you can be disappointed with anyone, everyone been 8/10 apart from Bazunu because he’s hardly touched the ball

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What do you want from him? Personally think he’s been excellent apart from the goal he has really broken up a lot of Swansea play. 

I just don't see him as good enough to play that wide attacking midfield role.   Also a lot of misplaced passes.   He does cover the park well and makes runs in attacking positions - just looks the weak link to me.

We're all on board now w Russell Martin. How are people feeling about Sports Republic and their overall strategy? Maybe, just maybe, some people were a little hasty in writing them off.  At this point their player acquisitions, and the appointment of RM are starting to look pretty impressive, no?

Decent first half that, should be well and truly out of sight but alas gives us something to work towards second half.

Their goal was an utter clusterfuck, not sure why Baz didn’t try and claim it as a standard catch instead of that weird dive thing, and their men shouldn’t have been completely unmarked for the cross and goal.

If we can get another and let them tire I’d get Charley and Amo-Ameyaw in to cause havoc.

Edited by bpsaint

23 minutes ago, Jack said:

Must be hard for a keeper when you’re stood around watching for 40 mins then get a great cross into the box to deal with

It’s called being a keeper.  Once he commits himself he has to make it.  He’s young though, he’ll learn from that.

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

We're all on board now w Russell Martin. How are people feeling about Sports Republic and their overall strategy? Maybe, just maybe, some people were a little hasty in writing them off.  At this point their player acquisitions, and the appointment of RM are starting to look pretty impressive, no?

It's a lot easier at this level TBF, the pool of players that will make you a competitive side is a lot larger.

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

I just don't see him as good enough to play that wide attacking midfield role.   Also a lot of misplaced passes.   He does cover the park well and makes runs in attacking positions - just looks the weak link to me.

I was thinking the same, going forward he could be improved on. Probably shouldn’t undervalue the defensive work he does though.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints - Saturday 12:30pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic