Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

How 😂 ignore the 20 unbeaten, the great football, the goals scored...one second half performance where the game was over is the true measure of reality.

Who's ignoring it? A better team would have turned that game around. Why ignore the fact that Saints had some moments of good fortune in that last half hour, most self-inflicted.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In the second half he said, which it be fair they probably have been

alrhough im still laughing about his comment “if the post hadn’t been there he’d had scored” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If the goal had been 3 feet wider he would have scored.

• Haha 2

Full RM convert - wasn't convinced for a a while but can see us (for the most part) playing outstanding football

He has to, however, stop shoehorning in players - especially Stephens. We took a real hit with regards to quality in the second half and this contributed. 

Still  - great result and up to 2nd! 

Edited by The Juice
  • Like 3

One of those games where we blitz the opposition in the first half and then sit on it in the second half. Happened a couple of times earlier in the season against Leeds and Birmingham as well. Needed Bazunu in the second half, but overall that was fairly comfortable and not too many complaints.

Last year you wouldn't have imagined a team of Bazunu, Bednarek, Smallbone, A. Armstrong and Adams going 21 unbeaten. But, this group are just so consistently good now. Such a turnaround.

2nd in the league, up the Saints!

• Like 8

Bit of a sweaty second half but you can't fault the classy 1st.

I think it was a mix of some complacency, trying to over manage the game and Swansea's press was very effective even if their shooting was poor - can't remember the last time I saw us unable to pass the ball around in the way we usually like to end games. I do feel we had another gear or two in the locker though.

21 unbeaten and 2nd - that's a good day whichever way you look at it!

• Like 3

Would be easy to forget how good we were first half based on that 2nd half. But Swansea played a big part, they actually decided to commit to the press and we forgot that we have to be quicker to play through it. 

Onwards and upwards 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

Perfect way to start the Saturday afternoon. Killed the game off in the first half, keep the squad happy by giving them game time, and come away 1-3 winners, into autos and break a club record. 

on the note of records what is are homing winning run and what is the record. I know we have never won more than 6 in a row home and away, but wondering what the home record is. 

• Like 1

Bloody Calamity Stephens, useless, totally disrupted the team once he came on and almost gifted them two goals . THB even on a yellow is less of a risk than this cretin. Get him out of St Mary's before he costs us promotion.

Brilliant first half saved our blushes but we should have had 5 or 6 by HT.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In the second half he said, which it be fair they probably have been

alrhough im still laughing about his comment “if the post hadn’t been there he’d had scored” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That was funny, although to be fair I think he was trying to make the point the player would have slid in if it hadn’t been right on the post.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, madge said:

Stephen’s defensively not good enough.. on the ball, in this style of play not good enough. But not taking anything away from That first 45 mins, that was brilliant but the subs totally disrupted our play and had no effect whatsoever.

I don’t think it’s that simple. When Stephens plays with THB he’s better, but his pairing with Bednarek weakens the CB pairing too substantially to be viable. He’s not better than Bednarek and that’s why he’s not forced his way as a starter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Utterly phenomenal first half won that for us.

It’s an absolutely incredible record for this team to break, I’d be amazed if I see this run surpassed in my lifetime.

You should see them surpass it next week.

Unless you are terminally ill, if so I sincerely apologise

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Jack Stephens plays like our defence did right at the start of the season. Just tries to be too clever on the ball, playing silly balls or holding on to the pass for too long. And out of possession he’s not sharp enough to give confidence that he’ll win it back.

In hindsight, good for him to get 30 minutes of game time and plenty of things to work on. But it was hardly a confidence inspiring shift and we looked a bit lost when THB went off. Stephens is doing nothing to warrant a starting place and, having made him skipper, Martin has boxed himself in a bit. THB and Janny B for the foreseeable please.

• Like 9

Brilliant first half and deservedly led 3-1. Second half I thought a touch of complacency bordering on arrogance crept into our play compounded by bringing on Stephens who was awful - the square ball he played across his own penalty area was just horrendous and it gave encouragement to Swansea and lifted their crowd. Funny game and you could make a case for Baz being our man of the match despite our total domination in the first half.  Stephens certainly emphasised the gulf in class and ability between him and THB. It's a great win and brilliant to break the record but plenty there for RM to work on because really we should have won that game by a bigger margin yet, in the end, were hanging on. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

You realise it was for a professional foul right ?

Yes, and there's nothing to say he wouldn't have had to commit another one to prevent a goal. The logic of replacing a player on a yellow card to protect them isn't difficult to understand, plus we already know that RM rates JS, so why he made the change is pretty obvious

29 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Winning 3-1.

Unbeaten in 20.

2nd in the league.

Instead of revelling in that, let's all moan about and scapegoat one player instead. Good god alive, I hate our fans sometimes.

I appreciate what you’re saying, and you’re right we should be revelling in our success, however it’s important not to get too complacent when doing well and identify issues before they prove costly.

The fact remains that the second half was once again woeful, and it has been a fairly common theme this season. Bringing on Stephens completely altered the mentality of the team, and I don’t buy that it was a necessary sub due to THB being on a yellow, he was hardly a high risk player on thin ice. Not sure why Martin keeps finding a way to sub him onto the pitch, sometimes when it’s completely unnecessary.

Again, you’re right let’s revel in our current success, but if us fans can see these weaknesses you can be sure our opponents will too.

• Like 2

21 unbeaten, congrats to all players, staff and management... "What an Achievement !!".

Brilliant first half but nervous, wasteful and lucky in a poor second half. RM should not and will not be happy with that.

Still, a weekend and landmark to celebrate. COYS

• Like 6

That first half was amazing. I think we were brilliant, the runs into space and finding the runners was fantastic to watch. Ridiculous amount of space so not sure what went wrong for the home team despite our great play. 

Despite the yellow it did feel a bit of a luxurious sub THB for JS - bit early and the game not done. Like a Victorian whale bone shoe horn rather than the ordinary kind. 

• Like 2