Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Winning 3-1.

Unbeaten in 20.

2nd in the league.

Instead of revelling in that, let's all moan about and scapegoat one player instead. Good god alive, I hate our fans sometimes.

Exactly right...we are 20 unbeaten, second in the table, what more to make a fan happy?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Utterly phenomenal first half won that for us.

It’s an absolutely incredible record for this team to break, I’d be amazed if I see this run surpassed in my lifetime.

Hopefully you will in our next game.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Yes, and there's nothing to say he wouldn't have had to commit another one to prevent a goal. The logic of replacing a player on a yellow card to protect them isn't difficult to understand, plus we already know that RM rates JS, so why he made the change is pretty obvious

Not buying that at all. It was bordering on arrogance. Using your logic, if Baz gets booked for time wasting on the 75th minute, does he get pulled off to stop him getting a second yellow? It was a needless change to make against Plymouth and it was needless today. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not buying that at all. It was bordering on arrogance. Using your logic, if Baz gets booked for time wasting on the 75th minute, does he get pulled off to stop him getting a second yellow? It was a needless change to make against Plymouth and it was needless today. 

Yeah to be fair there were a few yellows not just him.

Could of done with Jan taking one for the first goal instead of getting schooled

Overall a brilliant performance but with some important takeaways. Martin has shown that he's committed but not stubborn, so I hope he's reflecting on some areas for improvement.

The Swansea goal that undeservedly got them back into the game when they were being pummelled came (again) from poor play by Manning - getting caught too high. My suspicion is that the apparent improvement in Manning's game recently has come not because he's playing better but because he has Fraser ahead of him; Fraser is such a threat that sides can't pressure our Manning side as easily. He remains a major defensive weakness.

Jack Stephens is a great guy, and clearly well regarded in the dressing room, but he doesn't have a quick enough brain to fit into our "play it out from the back" style. In fact, it's frightening to see him trying to participate in it. With hindsight, Martin might have left THB out there for another 20 minutes and trusted him to avoid a second yellow.

And, as committed as we are to playing that style, and as good as it is to watch, there is nothing to be gained and lots to be lost from overplaying at the back when we're 3-1 up but under pressure in the last 10 minutes - especially when THB isn't out there.

It seems ridiculous to say that we dodged a bullet today, but we probably did.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So only caught the last 15 minutes (4.30am start here in Vancouver) - and we looked absolutely terrible! Swansea could/should have scored at least two in that time. If we play like that at the end of games we will lose our record!

Obviously we played very well in the first half from the Sky commentary and summing up, but if I'd just had the bit I saw to judge us on I'd have said we were the team under pressure. Looked like back to the suicidal tippy-tappy passing in and around our box that a good pressing team exploits.

Anyway, super happy we won and amazing run and record to be applauded. Now to keep it going!

I think it's lazy to blame Stephens for the last 20 mins, whole side fell apart, passing got sloppy, we stopped attacking and invited trouble, Rothwell looked like he wasn't sure where he should be. 

First half was excellent, nice to win away again, just need to keep the momentum going 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think it's lazy to blame Stephens for the last 20 mins, whole side fell apart, passing got sloppy, we stopped attacking and invited trouble, Rothwell looked like he wasn't sure where he should be. 

First half was excellent, nice to win away again, just need to keep the momentum going 

Martin admitted that the subs didn't have any impact in the last 20 minutes or so. Made us a lot weaker mo question. Can't even recall Mara getting sa meaningful touch. 

• Like 1

Obviously the yellow to THB was why he made the sub but it did unstable us somewhat .. Stephens took his time to get into it after a few times being caught .

vs an Ipswich or a Leicester we would have drawn that based on after subs were made. 

we can’t afford to do that again if we want to go up via the autos .

but on a positive we are still unbeaten in 20 .. and I actually drove to Middlesbrough the last time we lost !

• Like 2

My view on why we looked a bit dodgy second half was because that is literally the first time we’ve had the opportunity to “ manage” the game from a position of strength half time. 

Im not buying that the main reason is that Jack Stephens is shit - as some above would,  ridiculously, have you believe. 

We did not fail the test. They did not score. We managed the match from that perspective. Am I happy at that bad playing especially latter stages- no- but all this outrage about what a shit captain we have. Get a grip of yerselves. A team 21 unbeaten best in all our history and all you got is our captain is shit - I literally cannot believe the lack of grace and class in our fanbase sometimes. Be grateful for once you entitled so an sos. You ain’t never gonna see this record beaten again in your lifetime - and you cannot just say “ well done team?” Yiu got to hate on the captain? With support like that who needs opponents. Pathetic really. You don't deserve this record breaking team. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

My view on why we looked a bit dodgy second half was because that is literally the first time we’ve had the opportunity to “ manage” the game from a position of strength half time. 

Im not buying that the main reason is that Jack Stephens is shit - as some above would,  ridiculously, have you believe. 

We did not fail the test. They did not score. We managed the match from that perspective. Am I happy at that bad playing especially latter stages- no- but all this outrage about what a shit captain we have. Get a grip of yerselves. A team 21 unbeaten best in all our history and all you got is our captain is shit - I literally cannot believe the lack of grace and class in our fanbase sometimes. Be grateful for once you entitled so an sos. You ain’t never gonna see this record beaten again in your lifetime - and you cannot just say “ well done team?” Yiu got to hate on the captain? With support like that who needs opponents. Pathetic really. You don't deserve this record breaking team. 

No one hates the captain you bed wetting clown. It’s due to his performance when he came on. 
He struggled because as someone said he dithered was unsure what to do compared to THB who was light years above. The pass across goal was amateurish at best.

Football opinions are like arseholes everyone has one but your post stinks more 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, saintstowin said:

That first half was amazing. I think we were brilliant, the runs into space and finding the runners was fantastic to watch. Ridiculous amount of space so not sure what went wrong for the home team despite our great play. 

Despite the yellow it did feel a bit of a luxurious sub THB for JS - bit early and the game not done. Like a Victorian whale bone shoe horn rather than the ordinary kind. 

I can't remember ever having watched a better first half by Saints. It was phenomenal. The ways we came forward were so varied, Swansea hadn't a clue what to do.

Baz was brilliant in the last 15 minutes and JS is rightly taking a lot of flak. Sure, all the subs did sweet FA, but JS seemed to do nothing right. His passes are either lazy or he simply doesn't have the control to do what's needed - and when he puts his foot on the ball and invites someone to come to him, it's an accident waiting to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I was pleasantly surprised how quick Rothwell was across the ground. 
Give him a few games and think we will see decent player. 

From Martin’s press conference above he said Rothwell will be playing against Watford. Definitely looked rusty so game time will do him good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

No one hates the captain you bed wetting clown. It’s due to his performance when he came on. 
He struggled because as someone said he dithered was unsure what to do compared to THB who was light years above. The pass across goal was amateurish at best.

Football opinions are like arseholes everyone has one but your post stinks more 

Yeah great pride mate. 21 unbeaten. Never again. Carry on hating on Jack and being obnoxious to fellow saints instead though. 🤯

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

I appreciate what you’re saying, and you’re right we should be revelling in our success, however it’s important not to get too complacent when doing well and identify issues before they prove costly.

The fact remains that the second half was once again woeful, and it has been a fairly common theme this season. Bringing on Stephens completely altered the mentality of the team, and I don’t buy that it was a necessary sub due to THB being on a yellow, he was hardly a high risk player on thin ice. Not sure why Martin keeps finding a way to sub him onto the pitch, sometimes when it’s completely unnecessary.

Again, you’re right let’s revel in our current success, but if us fans can see these weaknesses you can be sure our opponents will too.

Big picture, lesson learned no damage done. Clearly Martin was pissed off in the SKY straight after the match interview.          
It’s cheered up the bedwetters as well who were desperate for a scapegoat.

Everyone’s happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I can't remember ever having watched a better first half by Saints. It was phenomenal. The ways we came forward were so varied, Swansea hadn't a clue what to do.

Baz was brilliant in the last 15 minutes and JS is rightly taking a lot of flak. Sure, all the subs did sweet FA, but JS seemed to do nothing right. His passes are either lazy or he simply doesn't have the control to do what's needed - and when he puts his foot on the ball and invites someone to come to him, it's an accident waiting to happen. 

This is the bit that really concerns me about him, it’s like he’s playing a game of how close can he let the attacker get to the ball before he passes it. Hes not good enough to take the risks that he takes.

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yeah great pride mate. 21 unbeaten. Never again. Carry on hating on Jack and being obnoxious to fellow saints instead though. 🤯

Read your post having a go at Saints fans then who is obnoxious you clown!

I don’t hate him you idiot just he was terrible today and I am entitled to say that having travelled there and paid to watch it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Right look, reality check for the happy clappers. It wasn't brilliant / phenonomal / insert other hyperbole. Yes, it was very easy on the eye, and yes, we were all over them... But we were also complacent beyond measure. We scored 3 goals for all our chances... And of those - One was offside and one was a wicked deflection that put it straight into the bottom corner. We were so profligerate it is painful. 

Second half, our midtable opposition outplayed us and should / could easily have scored 2 or 3 goals. Against the sides that we will have to beat - Ipswich, Leeds, West brom, Leicester etc. etc... We lose this game playing like this 👀. If the objective is to look good with an obscene budget and squad vs championship plodders, then sure... We managed it. But I want automatics if not the title.

So, yeah, take the 3 points. Enjoy our build up play first half 😍, but we wasteful in the final 3rd and not solid enough at the back! And performances like today, if repeated, will lose us key points in the hunt for automatic promotion / the title - or God forbid, in the playoffs. 

Thank God for baz today imo. And eitherway, saints can certainly do better (which is a great thought as well). 

Personally I would chalk today's up and down performance up to the whole Martin/Swansea affair, and having the record hanging over us. I hope we're far more ruthless in our next games. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Right look, reality check for the happy clappers. It wasn't brilliant / phenonomal / insert other hyperbole. Yes, it was very easy on the eye, and yes, we were all over them... But we were also complacent beyond measure. We scored 3 goals for all our chances... And if those - One was offside and one was a wicked deflection that put it straight into the bottom corner. We were so profligerate it is painful. 

Second half, our midtable opposition outplayed us and should have scored 2 or 3 goals. Against the sides that we will have to beat - Ipswich, Leeds, West brom, Leicester etc. We lose this game playing like this. 

Take the 3 points. But performances like today, if repeated) will lose us key points in the hunt for automatic promotion / the title. 

Thank God for baz today. 

We will learn from today. In a way long term it was better than a 0-8 win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I don’t hate him you idiot just he was terrible today and I am entitled to say that having travelled there and paid to watch it!

Where do you get off repeatedly calling me a clown an idiot and an arsehole Because I say support the team and get off Jacks back?? 

Your inability to construct a sentence without turning it into a personal stream of nasty abuse is laughable. Yiu and I support the same team. Give it a rest with the insults. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dellyears said:

what more to make a fan happy?

I am very happy but not sure what result between Leicester and Ipswich will make me happier probably an Ipswich win although a draw would not be bad if we are to be champions.

I have supported the Saints from 1962 and all we have won is an FA Cup and the Paint Trophy so it would be great to win the League.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, John B said:

I am very happy but not sure what result between Leicester and Ipswich will make me happier probably an Ipswich win although a draw would not be bad if we are to be champions.

I have supported the Saints from 1962 and all we have won is an FA Cup and the Paint Trophy so it would be great to win the League.

WOW . Congratulations John! If my math is correct that’s 62 years a Saint! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

That first 45 was ridiculous, but we were aided by Swansea sleep walking around the pitch. The spaces they left and the lack of pressure on the ball made it an absolute doddle for us, there was no challenge and we could just do whatever they hell we wanted with the ball. It was a travesty it wasn't more than 3 to us at HT, we were that dominant and they were that bad!

The second half was a different game though, as I expected it to be. Swansea did what they didn't do in the first half - pressed us, got tighter to us and were much more engaged. It was harder for us to find space and we didn't have as much time on the ball for this quick movements. We did still have decent chances in the 2nd half, but no where near as dominant because of the change in approach by Swansea - they were much more aggressive. 

Overall it's the sort of performance where everyone comes away with credit - the attack were electric, the midfield ran the show for a good portion of the game, and Bazunu when required was there. 

I didn't expect it to be as easy as it was in that first half, but you take them however they come. After September I didn't see this happening I've got to be honest, the recovery from the entire team (everyone in the squad has been part of this) has been epic.

But.......let's make this season about promotion and not just beating a club record. It will be a very hollow and pointless club record if we don't achieve anything from this season, we need to keep going and I'm sure we will. There will be bumps in the coming months of that there is no doubt, but we will be in and around it until the end - so let's make sure we finish it!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Where do you get off repeatedly calling me a clown an idiot and an arsehole Because I say support the team and get off Jacks back?? 

Your inability to construct a sentence without turning it into a personal stream of nasty abuse is laughable. Yiu and I support the same team. Give it a rest with the insults. 

Yes we all support the same team, but holy fuck we are all allowed to have different opinions on players. I don't hate Stephens. He's a good pro and back up to the first 11. What I have a problem with is this ridiculous idea that Martin wants to get him on the pitch. There is absolutely no need to change your centre back pairing when you are 3-1 up in a match, barring an injury. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

What an obnoxious post the team breaks a record  wins away 3 1 and all you can do is whinge about a player who has given great service to the club for a long time has been injured and needs to get some match time 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Reading through this thread is funny, it pretty much mirrors how I felt watching it at the ground

First half was immense. Best away performance of the season by far, we were all over them, should've got 3 even before they scored, and even when they did put one in our net against the run of play, our response was amazing 

Second half was a disaster...

Anyhow 3 points, overall a deserved away win, hopefully a win in the FA Cup before our focus is back on the league. Play like that against Rotherham and we win 6 or 7 nil 

4 minutes ago, John B said:

What an obnoxious post the team breaks a record  wins away 3 1 and all you can do is whinge about a player who has given great service to the club for a long time has been injured and needs to get some match time 

If you can be bothered read my match thoughts on how good some were but easier to ignore the good bits to have a go ….oh well shame.

when they are good I say so when bad I say so it’s my right surely?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John B said:

Here you go some praise for you to Ignore as welll

love the obnoxious one:

Coming away after 3-1 bit disappointing with game second half. First 30 was great home team first shot was 26 mins.

we should have been out of site at half time. I thought Baz should have done better on goal but not seen replay seemed an odd jump.

we dropped tempo got sloppy and let them in and got away with it. 
Stu touch was awful today, Smally good after poor first ten. AdamA good as always but my MOTM was Manning he at times has been liability but today was his best game won some good headers and used it well. He had very little cover at times but coped. Hard on Flyn who was tremendous 
Fraser put in some good crosses will feel he should have scored that half volley.

We were that far ahead we just tried to see it out hang on bloody cold walking away from ground but 3 points move on.

Edited by Give it to Ron

9 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Reading through this thread is funny, it pretty much mirrors how I felt watching it at the ground

First half was immense. Best away performance of the season by far, we were all over them, should've got 3 even before they scored, and even when they did put one in our net against the run of play, our response was amazing 

Second half was a disaster...

Anyhow 3 points, overall a deserved away win, hopefully a win in the FA Cup before our focus is back on the league. Play like that against Rotherham and we win 6 or 7 nil 

I think disaster is pretty strong to be honest, we had moments where they created some openings but we also had chances ourselves. You sometimes have to credit the opposition, it was never going to be the same in the 2nd half - no pro team would be allowed to play like that again.

We didn't concede, fairly comfortable in the main. No away game is going to be perfection for 90mins, but it was pretty solid for the baulk of it. The last 20mins maybe a bit ropey, but we were never really in any huge trouble. I think some of our nervousness as fans comes from what we've had to deal with for so many years, but there was no way this team was giving up a 2 goal lead.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, austsaint said:

About as one sided a half as you're likely to see.   Downes tremendous even before his goal; Fraser and Stu working well together.    Strange lack of discipline from THB.  AA providing plenty of service.  Only disappointment for me, despite the goal is Smallbone; against the better sides we are going to need better.  Perhaps this is where Rothwell will feature.

Good call chum! Smallbone MotM!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think disaster is pretty strong to be honest, we had moments where they created some openings but we also had chances ourselves. You sometimes have to credit the opposition, it was never going to be the same in the 2nd half - no pro team would be allowed to play like that again.

We didn't concede, fairly comfortable in the main. No away game is going to be perfection for 90mins, but it was pretty solid for the baulk of it. The last 20mins maybe a bit ropey, but we were never really in any huge trouble. I think some of our nervousness as fans comes from what we've had to deal with for so many years, but there was no way this team was giving up a 2 goal lead.

It would have got a little nervy if their bloke had scored instead of hitting the post from a yard out but we got the job done and deserved the 3 points. RM is always looking to learn so I'm sure he'll have taken a lot from this game both positively and stuff that we can improve on.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, John B said:

Congratulations/commiserations John B on your long supporter status - I'm a little bit behind you in supporting years, but not much - same win record of those two trophies in over 50 years supporting the Saints. 

For me, the priority is automatic promotion - whether it's as Champions or runners-up matters less to me - so I'd rather see Leicester win and us cement second place over Ipswich sooner. We can then go on a mission to catch Leicester, although I think the real job will be to preserve the gap between us and Leeds. And there's always one team that goes on a great run at the end of the season...I would have said West Brom before today's result but possibly them, Coventry, Norwich, Hull...

What do others think?

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not sure how he got that to be fair. Gave the ball away more than most.

Think was dodgy first ten but after that I thought had good game tbh.

Tracked well and good passes for KWP to run onto, he got around the pitch well today linking well with Flyn didn’t really give it away as much as others.

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Not sure how he got that to be fair. Gave the ball away more than most.

Used the ball well once he settled into the game, was one of the main reasons we were so free flowing in that first half. He was pulling them all over and using the ball well.

Good player, he's had a couple of good games on the bounce now for me.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Right look, reality check for the happy clappers. It wasn't brilliant / phenonomal / insert other hyperbole. Yes, it was very easy on the eye, and yes, we were all over them... But we were also complacent beyond measure. We scored 3 goals for all our chances... And of those - One was offside and one was a wicked deflection that put it straight into the bottom corner. We were so profligerate it is painful. 

Second half, our midtable opposition outplayed us and should / could easily have scored 2 or 3 goals. Against the sides that we will have to beat - Ipswich, Leeds, West brom, Leicester etc. etc... We lose this game playing like this 👀. If the objective is to look good with an obscene budget and squad vs championship plodders, then sure... We managed it. But I want automatics if not the title.

So, yeah, take the 3 points. Enjoy our build up play first half 😍, but we wasteful in the final 3rd and not solid enough at the back! And performances like today, if repeated, will lose us key points in the hunt for automatic promotion / the title - or God forbid, in the playoffs. 

Thank God for baz today imo. And eitherway, saints can certainly do better (which is a great thought as well). 

Personally I would chalk today's up and down performance up to the whole Martin/Swansea affair, and having the record hanging over us. I hope we're far more ruthless in our next games. 

What a miserable sod

• Like 4

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Used the ball well once he settled into the game, was one of the main reasons we were so free flowing in that first half. He was pulling them all over and using the ball well.

Good player, he's had a couple of good games on the bounce now for me.

He's certainly improved from the start of the season. 

A quick word for Che, his passing/creativity as a centre forward is really really good. Still think it's a shame we are going to lose him in the summer. 

59 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

How can you be calling out 'happy clappers' when we have just beaten a club record - going 21 games unbeaten? If, as a fan, you cannot look at our team at the moment with pride and enjoyment then you will never, ever, ever get enjoyment out of football.

Time for a new hobby if you are taking a negative slant after today. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Weird substitutions today. Mara a spectator, Rothwell not ready for first team duties and * Stephens (*expletives redacted). Are they deliberately trying to piss Alcaraz off?

I don’t think Martin trusts him, which is a shame 

I was super-happy to see Flynn Downes' goal. He's a cracking player but I've always thought that he's not great around the "D" on the edge of each penalty box - really key areas. He doesn't always defend it well at our end (and goals have resulted) and he doesn't always attack it well at their end (and chances have been lost).

Today he really attacked it well for his goal. It's not somewhere to be taking a control touch because a defensive cavalry is coming out at you - just hit it first time. If it gets through, great, or it may get a lucky deflection. Flynn did exactly that today and I really hope we see more of it.

• Like 2