Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints

goodymatt

Checked out the opta stats on Swansea and they seem to be weak on the flanks at rb and lb in terms of their opponents having possession there. Suggests they defend narrow. Bit like us really. 

Also Suggests to me that Ryan will be able to get a lot of the ball. He’s 9/1 first goalscorer, 9/1 last and 10/3 anytime if anyone’s interested. I’m on. Certainly looking good for assisting also. Plus he’s on fire. If he’s fit then he is gonna have fun…

Can also see Amo getting a chance late on to play down the flanks if we are comfortable ( or even if not). 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Checked out the opta stats on Swansea and they seem to be weak on the flanks at rb and lb in terms of their opponents having possession there. Suggests they defend narrow. Bit like us really. 

Also Suggests to me that Ryan will be able to get a lot of the ball. He’s 9/1 first goalscorer, 9/1 last and 10/3 anytime if anyone’s interested. I’m on. Certainly looking good for assisting also. Plus he’s on fire. If he’s fit then he is gonna have fun…

Can also see Amo getting a chance late on to play down the flanks if we are comfortable ( or even if not). 

Unless those stats are from the ridiculously small sample size of 2 games, there absolutely irrelevant given they have a new manager. 

19 minutes ago, Dman said:

Unless those stats are from the ridiculously small sample size of 2 games, there absolutely irrelevant given they have a new manager. 

The stats are from the season to date for Swansea. 27 matches. 

The new Swans manager is of the same mould as RM ie PB football. So i do not expect them to have big overlapping fb’s for instance and lobbing balls into the mixer. Though they may well do exactly that to catch us off guard. But I’m not paid a bazillion like RM to determine if that will or will not happen. 😁

On 14/01/2024 at 15:02, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking draw my arse.  We smashed those taffy cunts a few weeks ago and we’ll fucking smash them again.  3-0 stroll and those leek eating twats can fuck right off.

Wade - the Welsh Tourist Board are asking if you want to apply for a role as Ambassador? 😂

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, iansums said:

The fact is our away form is not great, P6 W2 D4, the two wins were only 1-0.

Pretty sure we've played more than 6 games away so far, and lost at Sunderland and Boro (although we look a completely different team now than we did then).

The important thing currently is that at least we're not losing the games we're not winning. But we should be winning more of them than we are though, I agree. 

To amuse myself I did a little breakdown on how many points I think we make this season.

We have 10 away fixtures and 9 home fixtures left in this league. 

Of the 9 home fixtures none are against ITFC, LCFC, WBA or Leeds. The hardest seems to be Coventry, on current form.

We’d be favourites to win every single one with the bookies but I might begrudgingly accept a draw or two - max . That’s 23-27 points from home matches that I think we are high probability to achieve. 

Running total using the median number of points (25) + 55 ( currently) = 80 points achieved from our remaining home fixtures. 

Of the 10 away fixtures we still need play ITFC, LCFC, WBA and Leeds.

Those aside, there are six matches against teams like Swansea that, once again, I expect us to be favoyrites with the bookies to win but would begrudgingly accept a draw or two. Points from those six aways should be at least 14 -18. 

Running total using median number of points (16) + 80 ( from above) = 96 points. 

Would 96 be enough to go up automatically? Reasonsble argument to say it is. But I have not accounted for 
the four tough away matches.

One win one draw and two defeats from those matches would see us on 100points. Surely you don’t get third on 100points? 

The point I’m making is that if Southampton take care of the home form and deal with the weaker teams away from home then those four harder fixtures are essentially free hits. 

Of course if Leeds or Ipswich go on a ridiculous run of form then it’s possible both they and LCFC get more than, say, 96 points but , of the two, Leeds look more likely. 

NB. I know we don’t get to play all the home matches in a row - have just made an assumption we retain our home form until end of season that’s all

I will do the same prediction assessment for Leeds and Ipswich and add it here see what we get to…😁

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

To amuse myself I did a little breakdown on how many points I think we make this season.

Of the 9 home fixtures none are against ITFC, LCFC, WBA or Leeds. The hardest seems to be Coventry, on current form.

We’d be favourites to win every single one with the bookies but I might begrudgingly accept a draw or two - max . That’s 23-27 points from home matches that I think we are high probability to achieve. 

Running total using the median number of points (25) + 55 ( currently) = 80 points achieved from our remaining home fixtures. 

Those aside, there are six matches against teams like Swansea that, once again, I expect us to be favoyrites with the bookies to win but would begrudgingly accept a draw or two. Points from those six aways should be at least 14 -18. 

Running total using median number of points (16) + 80 ( from above) = 96 points. 

Would 96 be enough to go up automatically? Reasonsble argument to say it is. But I have not accounted for 

One win one draw and two defeats from those matches would see us on 100points. Surely you don’t get third on 100points? 

The point I’m making is that if Southampton take care of the home form and deal with the weaker teams away from home then those four harder fixtures are essentially free hits. 

Of course if Leeds or Ipswich go on a ridiculous run of form then it’s possible both they and LCFC get more than, say, 96 points but , of the two, Leeds look more likely. 

NB. I know we don’t get to play all the home matches in a row - have just made an assumption we retain our home form until end of season that’s all

I will do the same prediction assessment for Leeds and Ipswich and add it here see what we get to…😁

Please don’t 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, iansums said:

I think someone has too much time on their hands.

You may be right. But it’s a guess isn’t it so I don’t really know what’s your point on a thread dedicated to future next match possibilities? 

7 hours ago, iansums said:

The fact is our away form is not great, P6 W2 D4, the two wins were only 1-0.

We have already equalled our club best ever unbeaten away record (1949 and 1984) but apparently that form is 'not great'. Some people have unrealistically high expectations.

Agree it would have been good to win one or more of the ones we drew but I think what we have achieved is pretty damn good and has never been bettered not even by our star teams (1984) or managers Koeman/Lawrie Mac) of the past. 

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

We have already equalled our club best ever unbeaten away record (1949 and 1984) but apparently that form is 'not great'. Some people have unrealistically high expectations.

Agree it would have been good to win one or more of the ones we drew but I think what we have achieved is pretty damn good and has never been bettered not even by our star teams (1984) or managers Koeman/Lawrie Mac) of the past. 

Not really. if our away form does not improve, we will not go up top 2. Quite simple

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not really. if our away form does not improve, we will not go up top 2. Quite simple

Well Alex it depends how many points you think we need for a top two finish.

I think 95, i.e. 40 more points should be enough, if we keep up our excellent home form, we could get there with just 17 points from our last 10 away which is the same as  we've gained in our previous 9!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric The Red said:

I think 95, i.e. 40 more points should be enough, if we keep up our excellent home form, we could get there with just 17 points from our last 10 away which is the same as  we've gained in our previous 9!

You may be right with 95, but on current points per game Ipswich are on for 98+

Surely you can agree that we’ve drawn too many away games, lots of which we’ve dominated but not killed off. 

1 hour ago, Eric The Red said:

We are 3rd. If we all carry on with the PPG stats, we finish.....3rd

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are 3rd. If we all carry on with the PPG stats, we finish.....3rd

But this assumes things are always linear.

Look at the form table does that match the league table order, no, and this is why this logic cannot be guaranteed.

i also think that if our PPG continues in a linear progression we will finish 2nd. All opinions at the end of the day, the only truth will be at 5.30pm on 4th May 2024.

8 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

But this assumes things are always linear.

Look at the form table does that match the league table order, no, and this is why this logic cannot be guaranteed.

i also think that if our PPG continues in a linear progression we will finish 2nd. All opinions at the end of the day, the only truth will be at 5.30pm on 4th May 2024.

Basically, Ipswich will get worse but we definitely won’t 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I guess that all depends on whether or not you think we are capable of reverting back to how utterly dogshit we were in September. Our PPG since then is better than that of Ipswich (and everyone else in the division).

If we had just managed to win one and draw one of those 4 consecutive games we lost (particularly the home game against Ipswich) we would already be above them.

15 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why? It isn't quite simple at all. Our away form is the best in the League, only Leicester have equal points away from home in the same period as our unbeaten away streak (9 games) and they have lost 2 of those (to be fair I haven't checked any lower teams records, but they are all a long way behind, so probably won't impact top 2). Ipswich and Leeds are well behind. We have to play all three away from home, it is more likely the results of those games that will determine whether we go up automatically or not. Of course we could do with winning a larger proportion of our away games, but i don't think people are yet appreciating how good a run this team is on, unbeaten in 19, wins in all of our last 9 (or is it 10) home games, and 17 points (unbeaten) in our last 9 away games. It doesn't get any better than this (well hopefully it does of course). We won't overhaul Leicester unless something spectacular happens to them, but we are on track for automatic promotion based on form.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You know Ipswich have already gotten worse, that is why we have caught them. They have Leicester away this weekend. Football doesn't work in the linear way you seem to think. The outcome of the league this season is likely to hinge on the big matches, i.e. our away games at Leicester, Ipswich, WBA and Leeds. Those are the games that we very likely will have to win or at least not lose. We will lose some more games this season, but hopefully not too many, form is temporary, but so will the others. I think this Saturday is a massively important one for us, a win will put us above Ipswich at least temporarily and pile the pressure on them to get something at Leicester.

[End of my posts for the day]

53 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Why? It isn't quite simple at all. Our away form is the best in the League, only Leicester have equal points away from home in the same period as our unbeaten away streak (9 games) and they have lost 2 of those (to be fair I haven't checked any lower teams records, but they are all a long way behind, so probably won't impact top 2). Ipswich and Leeds are well behind. We have to play all three away from home, it is more likely the results of those games that will determine whether we go up automatically or not. Of course we could do with winning a larger proportion of our away games, but i don't think people are yet appreciating how good a run this team is on, unbeaten in 19, wins in all of our last 9 (or is it 10) home games, and 17 points (unbeaten) in our last 9 away games. It doesn't get any better than this (well hopefully it does of course). We won't overhaul Leicester unless something spectacular happens to them, but we are on track for automatic promotion based on form.

Our away form isn’t the best in the league, Leicester have won 10 of 14 and Ipswich 7 of 13. We’ve only won 6 of 13. 

IMO both of the following statements can be and are true: 

• we’re on a fantastic run

• we should’ve picked up far more points away from home than we have, based on how we’ve dominated so many games that we’ve only picked up a draw. There’s plenty of room to improve there 

• Like 1

To add to that, we’ve got loads of tough away games left whereas those above us have easier run ins. We have to do better away against those lower down the table, if we want to go up 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack said:

To add to that, we’ve got loads of tough away games left whereas those above us have easier run ins. We have to do better away against those lower down the table, if we want to go up 

I think with us on such a good run, it is creating pressure on the others to match us on points. Run ins can change if opposing teams need to get points for playoffs or avoid relegation but as we still need to catchup the top two and keep Leeds below us, the current form needs to continue. 

4 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

I think with us on such a good run, it is creating pressure on the others to match us on points. Run ins can change if opposing teams need to get points for playoffs or avoid relegation but as we still need to catchup the top two and keep Leeds below us, the current form needs to continue. 

We are on a good run, but the last wedge of fixtures, particularly over Xmas, have been the easiest (on paper) compared to the others.

we have played half of the top 12 away from home, and won 1, lost 2 and drawn 3. However, we still need to play 3 of best teams (other than us) away.

of we don’t start putting the lesser teams - like Swansea- to the sword, we may need to win away at WBA or even at Leeds on the last day. 

Edited by AlexLaw76

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are on a good run, but the last wedge of fixtures, particularly over Xmas, have been the easiest (on paper) compared to the others.

we have played half of the top 12 away from home, and won 1, lost 2 and drawn 3. However, we still need to play 3 of best teams (other than us) away.

of we don’t start putting the lesser teams - like Swansea- to the sword, we may need to win away at WBA or even at Leeds on the last day. 

You certainly don't want to be going to Elland Road on the last day needing a win. 

30 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

You certainly don't want to be going to Elland Road on the last day needing a win. 

Definitely not. That 4 point gap is handy and we don’t want to let it slip. They’ve won their last three games 3-0 and have Preston on Sunday who aren’t great. 

Edit: yes, one was a cup game so maybe doesn’t count 

Edited by Jack
Details

7 hours ago, Jack said:

Our away form isn’t the best in the league, Leicester have won 10 of 14 and Ipswich 7 of 13. We’ve only won 6 of 13. 

IMO both of the following statements can be and are true: 

• we’re on a fantastic run

• we should’ve picked up far more points away from home than we have, based on how we’ve dominated so many games that we’ve only picked up a draw. There’s plenty of room to improve there 

Clearly you don't understand the concept of 'form', and I ain't gonna waste my time explaining it to you. If you had bothered to read my post, and in context, you would have seen I was talking about the last 9 away games. That's form, usually based on last 6, 8,.10.games (or 9) not on all results of the season. We are the best on form based on the last 9 games, no it's or buts, and wins doesn't come into it, we have the most points of the top 4/5.teams (I haven't checked possibly Watford are better but who cares about Watford). Leicester have same number of points as us, but Ipswich, Leeds and WBA are well behind us. Of course it would be better if we had won more, but it's frankly unlikely given we have never done better before in our history, 9 away games without defeat is fecking brilliant form, but no you think we're poor and should do better.

Hopefully we win in Saturday and Leicester smash Ipswich, then we'll be second and automatic promotion is firmly in our hands. As I said, we have all of the top teams away before end of season, they are the critical games that we have to avoid defeat in. Leicester are gone, which is a shame because I really wanted to win this bloody league this time, but ignore them and concentrate on 2nd place is what we need to focus on now. That and avoiding having to get anything from the last game of the season. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Clearly you don't understand the concept of 'form', and I ain't gonna waste my time explaining it to you. If you had bothered to read my post, and in context, you would have seen I was talking about the last 9 away games. That's form, usually based on last 6, 8,.10.games (or 9) not on all results of the season. We are the best on form based on the last 9 games, no it's or buts, and wins doesn't come into it, we have the most points of the top 4/5.teams (I haven't checked possibly Watford are better but who cares about Watford). Leicester have same number of points as us, but Ipswich, Leeds and WBA are well behind us. Of course it would be better if we had won more, but it's frankly unlikely given we have never done better before in our history, 9 away games without defeat is fecking brilliant form, but no you think we're poor and should do better.

Hopefully we win in Saturday and Leicester smash Ipswich, then we'll be second and automatic promotion is firmly in our hands. As I said, we have all of the top teams away before end of season, they are the critical games that we have to avoid defeat in. Leicester are gone, which is a shame because I really wanted to win this bloody league this time, but ignore them and concentrate on 2nd place is what we need to focus on now. That and avoiding having to get anything from the last game of the season. 

I understand what form is. The problem with those kind of stats is you can fudge it to fit the narrative. How many games define ‘form’? 

Over the last 8 away games we’re 2nd

Over the last 6 away games we’re 4th

Over the last 4 away games we’re 7th

Maybe our away form is getting worse and we’re about to tumble down the table? Over the 13 games we’ve played away this season we have the 3rd most points and that’s the most important stat IMO

• Like 3

10 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Thanks, I think the below sums it up well enough. 

6 hours ago, Jack said:

I understand what form is. The problem with those kind of stats is you can fudge it to fit the narrative. How many games define ‘form’? 

Over the last 8 away games we’re 2nd

Over the last 6 away games we’re 4th

Over the last 4 away games we’re 7th

Maybe our away form is getting worse and we’re about to tumble down the table? Over the 13 games we’ve played away this season we have the 3rd most points and that’s the most important stat IMO

On 17/01/2024 at 13:46, gio1saints said:

They are absolutely not free hits. Top teams dont drop many points and the top 4 in this league are doing it less regularly that ever. Home and away games against weaker teams we absolutely must win, then the 4 games against the other top 5 are must not lose games, in the case of Ipswich and Leicester must win if we want to catch or overtake them. Suggesting that games against direct promotional rivals are free hits is absurd. They are the classic 6 pointers, Can you imagine Pep Guardiola saying it doesn't mater if Man City lose to Arsenal because they'll beat Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United. Crazy logic.

Edited by Turkish

13 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Live on Sky Sports

Let’s play Don Goodman’s anti-Saints commentary bingo:

”They may be 20 unbeaten but I’ve not been convinced by this Russell Martin side.”

”Swansea will be licking their lips at the prospect of revenge today.”

“Southampton have 96% possession and 26 shots on goal but I’ve been really impressed with Swansea today.”

”I’ll never forget when Big Stevie Howard helped Derby beat Southampton in the 2007 playoff semi-final. Greatest moment of my media career.”

• Haha 4

Without wanting to jinx it, I'm fairly confident.  I doubt Swansea will be too defensive at home like Norwich were and if they come at us then we should be able to cope with it and exploit the gaps they leave.  Swansea don't create that much either.  We'll win 1-3.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

They are absolutely not free hits. Top teams dont drop many points and the top 4 in this league are doing it less regularly that ever. Home and away games against weaker teams we absolutely must win, then the 4 games against the other top 5 are must not lose games, in the case of Ipswich and Leicester must win if we want to catch or overtake them. Suggesting that games against direct promotional rivals are free hits is absurd. They are the classic 6 pointers, Can you imagine Pep Guardiola saying it doesn't mater if Man City lose to Arsenal because they'll beat Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United. Crazy logic.

Bit sloppy for you T.

Out of context you are 100% correct in saying the 4 matches away are essentially free hits. Of course they cannot be. 

What you sloppily missed, or deliberately ignored, is that I had prepared that comment with a specific context.

That specific context was on the basis that we would achieve 96 points from the other matches, and that surely 96 points equals automatic. 

I’n which case the four away matches could be essentially free hits if we have 96.  Perhaps you thought getting 96 from those other matches was crazy too? Ambitious but not crazy I’d say. 

Hope that’s cleared it up for you. Wouldn’t want you to be under the misapprehension that crazy logic was being used because I know how carefully you ( usually. ) construct your posts. 

😁😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

Get a win, and we'll either be closer to Leicester, Ipswich or Both on points by the end of Monday night.

What we do need is to have this be the start of our Away scoring matching our home scoring.  

Home: Played 14, scored 34 (2.43 goals for per game) 

Away: Played 13 Scored 16 (1.23 goals for per game)

We now have the best defensive record in the league over the last 20 games (joint with West Brom) of only conceding 14.

We start scoring two away from home per game, thats most of the job done. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Bit sloppy for you T.

Out of context you are 100% correct in saying the 4 matches away are essentially free hits. Of course they cannot be. 

What you sloppily missed, or deliberately ignored, is that I had prepared that comment with a specific context.

That specific context was on the basis that we would achieve 96 points from the other matches, and that surely 96 points equals automatic. 

I’n which case the four away matches could be essentially free hits if we have 96.  

Hope that’s cleared it up for you. Wouldn’t want you to be under the misapprehension that crazy logic was being used because I know how carefully you ( usually. ) construct your posts. 

😁😇

i didn't miss anything and wasn't sloppy. What was sloppy was that you seem to have ignored the fact that both Leciester and Ipswich are currently on course to hit more than 96 points, so that wont be enough, so those games aren't free hits. You didn't really think your post through enough did you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i didn't miss anything and wasn't sloppy. What was sloppy was that you seem to have ignored the fact that both Leciester and Ipswich are currently on course to hit more than 96 points, so that wont be enough, so those games aren't free hits. You didn't really think your post through enough did you.

Now now T, when you are wrong yiu are wrong. Here, you are wrong. 

Put it this way, if it makes it clearer for you to understand,

I wrote that 96 is SURELY enough for automatic.

If your response to that is NO then your refutation ( though not inference regarding my state of mind) is valid.

But if your response is YES or even probably or possibly yes then my post is entirely logical. And your retorts missing the point rather badly. 

surely yes to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are essentially freebies. 

surely no to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are not essentially freebies.  

IF 96 points is enough to get automatic it is irrelevant who we get them from. Please don’t get upset that you overlooked that simple logic.  I know you take great care over the accuracy of your posts - especially the pictures which are often very pretty 😍 

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Now now T, when you are wrong yiu are wrong. Here, you are wrong. 

Put it this way, if it makes it clearer for you to understand,

I wrote that 96 is SURELY enough for automatic.

If your response to that is NO then your refutation ( though not inference regarding my state of mind) is valid.

But if your response is YES or even probably or possibly yes then my post is entirely logical. And your retorts missing the point rather badly. 

surely yes to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are essentially freebies. 

surely no to 96 means points from the 4 tough aways are not essentially freebies.  

IF 96 points is enough to get automatic it is irrelevant who we get them from. Please don’t get upset that you overlooked that simple logic.  I know you take great care over the accuracy of your posts - especially the pictures which are often very pretty 😍 

But there isn't an yes no answer. Most season yes it would be, this season as things stand no it wont be. It's actually very simple

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints - Saturday 12:30pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Swansea 1-3 Record-Breaking Saints
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic