Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)

CSA96

On 01/05/2024 at 13:00, franniesTache said:

I see that they're now letting people buy more than one season ticket in the Northam Wall. It's almost like we don't have enough people who want to stand all game, if only someone could've predicted that...

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1785351406675001836

It is obvious you are against this and will be using a stick to beat it all the time. For me ive waited since the late 60's 70's for us to have a true end, whilst the bike shed is the closest , it wasnt really a large section of fans, not sure how many were in there but the Northam will have far more. Before anybody mentions the Milton and says that was an end, it was a free for all, god when the London clubs and Manchester came down it was madness, just a thin row of Bobbies trying to keep the fans apart!!!. 

I remember the Chief of Police coming on the stadium speakers saying if the fighting didnt stop the game would be abandoned. I know im now seen as an old duffer, but I feel glad I saw those days and have the experience of seeing the wonderful change and safety of going to a game compared to then.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, OldNick said:

It is obvious you are against this and will be using a stick to beat it all the time. For me ive waited since the late 60's 70's for us to have a true end, whilst the bike shed is the closest , it wasnt really a large section of fans, not sure how many were in there but the Northam will have far more. Before anybody mentions the Milton and says that was an end, it was a free for all, god when the London clubs and Manchester came down it was madness, just a thin row of Bobbies trying to keep the fans apart!!!. 

I remember the Chief of Police coming on the stadium speakers saying if the fighting didnt stop the game would be abandoned. I know im now seen as an old duffer, but I feel glad I saw those days and have the experience of seeing the wonderful change and safety of going to a game compared to then.

It's proving remarkably popular. Only a few hundred places left, and this season isn't even over yet. This must be a record for season ticket sales in the Northam or any end Southampton has ever had in its history.

Edited by Nordic Saint

On 16/01/2024 at 11:29, Turkish said:

It’s now down to the fans. If a load just follow the away fans down to be near them then it won’t work but if everyone is in the same place behind a goal it would look and sound great. Remember MK Dons JPT semi final second leg whe we had 4/5 of the Northam?

At the moment we’ve got half and end, then two pockets in the corner which means the atmosphere is diluted, different songs as different times, if everyone was in the same place with 5,000 together it would be so much better 

these days it’s pointless being near the away fans, a hand gesture or behaving even slightly aggressively can land you with a 3 year ban and the banter these days it’s pathetic 

Well, certainly in terms of buying the Northam season tickets, it looks like fans have responded extremely well. We should see much improved home support next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Well, certainly in terms of buying the Northam season tickets, it looks like fans have responded extremely well. We should see much improved home support next season.

Yes it's popular with those who want to go into the Northam. It's those of us who are being forced to move from where we've sat for many years in the Kingsland, or who will be messed about by the away fans' new route to the ground etc, who are unhappy.

But it's a done deal now, so people like me just have to decide whether to put up with trying to find a suitable seat without my neighbours somewhere else,  or whether this is the final straw and it's time to give up, after decades.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Turkish said:

@franniesTache look forward to seeing you at the Ted Bates statue at 6. Let’s hope there aren’t too many away fans this time. Got my foam hands ready to give the boys a rousing reception 

IMG_4331.jpeg

Meet at 1800 and then what? Amble around until kick off or trek all the way back into town for a decent pint? 

55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Meet at 1800 and then what? Amble around until kick off or trek all the way back into town for a decent pint? 

Come down and find out pal, it's going to be epic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I went past West Broms ground early and noticed a big crowd had gathered to greet the bus, however don't Saints players usually just arrive a few hours early in their own cars and park behind the Chapel stand? That's where people usually get autographs? 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

@franniesTache look forward to seeing you at the Ted Bates statue at 6. Let’s hope there aren’t too many away fans this time. Got my foam hands ready to give the boys a rousing reception 

IMG_4331.jpeg

That does does sound like a parody account, welcoming the bus against Grimsby but due to being outnumbered the players just got boos, explains the performance that night 🤣

• Haha 2

IMG_4331.jpeg

Might turn up and boo them for shits and giggles 🤣

On 11/05/2024 at 16:39, OldNick said:

I'm not against it "per se" what i'm annoyed about is the complete lack of choice to go anywhere else, would've been more than happy for them to do the BANTA WALL if they'd also allowed another section of safe standing somewhere else so we weren't all forced to stand there (and yes it is forced as I like to stand at games at you won't be able to if you don't stand there).

Anyway it's a done deal now so have to put up with it, still think they're taking the piss with the price rises everywhere else but no one seems to care about that weirdly.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

IMG_4331.jpeg

what. the. fuck. is this 😂

What is the 1885? 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I very much doubt the type of 'person' who has the apitite to do this, isn't interested in having a pint, let alone a decent one. 

I'd imagine they'll linger around searching for signal to upload thier noddy videos to instagram. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

what. the. fuck. is this 😂

What is the 1885? 

It's our new "ultras" group that is going to roundly embarrass us next season, you should see their flag "designs", from what i can see they've hired stevie wonder to do them 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JRM said:

That does does sound like a parody account, welcoming the bus against Grimsby but due to being outnumbered the players just got boos, explains the performance that night 🤣

It has to be surely. Imagine turning up to greet the team for a match against Grimsby only to be outnumbered by away fans. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It has to be surely. Imagine turning up to greet the team for a match against Grimsby only to be outnumbered by away fans. 🤣🤣🤣

I actually can't wait for this lot to appear, i reckon it's going to be proper comedy, they're talking about printing out "hymn sheets" and the flag designs they've made are original ted bates statue levels of pure shit.

I mean imagine waving flags with a twitter account on it and something saying what the name of the stand is 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

spacer.png

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Might turn up and boo them for shits and giggles 🤣

I'm not against it "per se" what i'm annoyed about is the complete lack of choice to go anywhere else, would've been more than happy for them to do the BANTA WALL if they'd also allowed another section of safe standing somewhere else so we weren't all forced to stand there (and yes it is forced as I like to stand at games at you won't be able to if you don't stand there).

Anyway it's a done deal now so have to put up with it, still think they're taking the piss with the price rises everywhere else but no one seems to care about that weirdly.

I understand your concerns but there is only so many safe standings plots the club can have. IMo the club have offered lower prices for the Northam so that fans who like to stand can do so and draw them away from the away fans, who must cost the club financially and the aggro policing those areas. 

I suggest the club may not release space next to the away fans, or price them higher to push those fans to the Northam.

Iam hopeful the atmosphere will improve with the Red Wall and in time you enjoy this a bit.

As all things the club cant please all,but it seems the Northam has been a very popular place to get a ticket

• Like 2

The insecure gatekeeping of supposed rights and wrongs of support is at least as nauseating as the ultras stuff. Especially on here, with the same few voices going on and on and on about it.

It's just a few over-enthusiastic kids. 🤷‍♂️

Football's for everyone. It follows that not all will approach matchdays exactly as you do.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, JRM said:

Sounds like something Alan Partridge would say

9 hours ago, ant said:

The insecure gatekeeping of supposed rights and wrongs of support is at least as nauseating as the ultras stuff. Especially on here, with the same few voices going on and on and on about it.

It's just a few over-enthusiastic kids. 🤷‍♂️

Football's for everyone. It follows that not all will approach matchdays exactly as you do.

You’re right, football supporters certainly come in all shapes. There’s a post in the Lounge forum that shines a light on one such distant Saints fan who passed away earlier this year that may get missed as not on the main board

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I actually can't wait for this lot to appear, i reckon it's going to be proper comedy, they're talking about printing out "hymn sheets" and the flag designs they've made are original ted bates statue levels of pure shit.

I mean imagine waving flags with a twitter account on it and something saying what the name of the stand is 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

spacer.png

Sadly we’ve had these type of fans around for years. Back in the 90s early 00s we used to call them Merdian Saints, because Meridan always seemed to find a way to film the most cringiest of our fans. Like everything this has now evolved to the point that in some peoples eyes this sort of compulsory wackiness inside a football stadium is now seen as normal. Imagine telling someone in the 70s and 80s the kings of the terrace were a group of virgins with song sheets waving little white flags with the terrace name on it 🤣

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, franniesTache said:

spacer.png

Don’t be fooled. The club are using Friday as a test of bringing in some noddy European-style Ultras group. I’m for welcoming the team bus, but now they’re actively encouraging multiple drums inside the ground. English chants are casual not ultra, we don’t need a der der der style drumming to go along with it FFS. 

I didn’t get my IN ticket for this game due to problems with my account, but hope the atmosphere isn’t dictated by drumming to the tune of he’s a kenyan victor wanyama and Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine for 90 mins. 

Posted (edited)

If you think our 1885 group is embarrassing i think i've just read the most cringeworthy thing i've ever seen. Apparently in 1986 to celebrate the first all merseyside FA Cup final Liverpool and Everton did a joint open top bus parade. There were 3 buses Liverpool had the first two Everton got the third. On the first bus Liverpool had their League Trophy, on the second their FA Cup trophy, Everton on this third bus had nothing to show. Some players refused to join and were fined two weeks wages. Those Scousers are a properly odd bunch. Everton had an open top bus parade to celebrate being the second best team in their city 

IMG_4333.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

On 14/05/2024 at 11:09, SotonianWill said:

Don’t be fooled. The club are using Friday as a test of bringing in some noddy European-style Ultras group. I’m for welcoming the team bus, but now they’re actively encouraging multiple drums inside the ground. English chants are casual not ultra, we don’t need a der der der style drumming to go along with it FFS. 

I didn’t get my IN ticket for this game due to problems with my account, but hope the atmosphere isn’t dictated by drumming to the tune of he’s a kenyan victor wanyama and Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine for 90 mins. 

Where have the club encouraged drums? 

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Where have the club encouraged drums? 

Been pushed by the usual Saints Voice/Club mouth pieces that they are encouraging them, and to send dimensions to the club to bring drums.

I actually hope the meeting the bus thing works, i mean i'll be at the boozer as i have no interest but fair enough for those that want to do it. But i draw the line at drums, they ruin atmospheres and have no. place in english grounds as far as i'm concerned 

https://x.com/yjw_x/status/1790308448304816542

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Been pushed by the usual Saints Voice/Club mouth pieces that they are encouraging them, and to send dimensions to the club to bring drums.

I actually hope the meeting the bus thing works, i mean i'll be at the boozer as i have no interest but fair enough for those that want to do it. But i draw the line at drums, they ruin atmospheres and have no. place in english grounds as far as i'm concerned 

Ah I see, cheers.

Yeah with you with drums. Imagine being next to it, must be horrific.

That'll lead us down to a slippery slope of megaphones...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Drums are an abomination. They drown out any atmosphere. I’m still annoyed that Crystal Palace were allowed to bring one last season. 

• Like 2

Been to a few non-league games this season where drums are sometimes used to get chants started then once everyone has joined in they stop, in smaller crowds they work well to get everyone involved at once otherwise it just isn't noisy at all. 

But yeah at top level they shouldn't be needed. 8000 is it the Northam holds, supposedly filled with people that want to stand and sing? Should be rocking. 

On 13/05/2024 at 14:09, franniesTache said:

spacer.png

Thanks to the 1885 working together with the Club, we are at last beginning to get really great home support at St Mary's. I expect the Northam to be one of the best home ends in the league next season. Facebook  Facebook

Edited by Nordic Saint

25 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Thanks to the 1885 working together with the Club, we are at last beginning to get really great home support at St Mary's. I expect the Northam to be one of the best home ends in the league next season.

Just need to overcome the boring, moaning old codgers that see it as 'noddy', 'tinpot' or 'embarrassing'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Many have as there's only around 40 seats left scattered around blocks 45 and 46, which will soon be gone, all other Northam blocks sold out.

That's incredible really. Even I didn't expect the demand to be this high, I was hoping to be able to get tickets there in the games i'm able to do next season but looks like I won't. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's incredible really. Even I didn't expect the demand to be this high, I was hoping to be able to get tickets there in the games i'm able to do next season but looks like I won't. 

I'm sure you will, there'll be the odd pocket of seats here and there.

40 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No. Just the rear thirteen rows or so.

The entire Northam is now safe-standing top to bottom - just looked again, and now saying none available. 

Single tickets have suddenly appeared in some blocks over the past few weeks as I guess some may have relocated but as it stand this afternoon, now sold out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

The entire Northam is now safe-standing top to bottom - just looked again, and now saying none available. 

Single tickets have suddenly appeared in some blocks over the past few weeks as I guess some may have relocated but as it stand this afternoon, now sold out.

Are the rails only in the upper rows?