Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)

CSA96

38 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

It really would be a very wise idea to only install the safe seating n all the upper blocks to start and then evaluate. I just don’t think there is enough fans who will fill that stand and then also want to stand.

I’m not so sure. There is a whole generation of fans who have never stood (those that don’t do away matches anyway) and I think it will appeal to them, as well as those who used to stand back in the day and never wanted to sit down anyway.

Its the fact those who don’t take advantage of this wonderful generous early bird offer for that area of the ground that will face an increase of 10-15% on their season tickets that stinks, they may just get away with it if we go up, but staying in the Championship? It’s wrong on many levels.

2 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

It really would be a very wise idea to only install the safe seating n all the upper blocks to start and then evaluate. I just don’t think there is enough fans who will fill that stand and then also want to stand.

When I went to buy mine earlier there were very few spaces left available in blocks 40-43, so looks like it's already proving very popular.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

When I went to buy mine earlier there were very few spaces left available in blocks 40-43, so looks like it's already proving very popular.

There would still be 2 (maybe 3?) blocks to fill where the away fans would usually sit - where are those fans coming from? 

Personally, I think its going to look a bit naff. 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

There would still be 2 (maybe 3?) blocks to fill where the away fans would usually sit - where are those fans coming from? 

Personally, I think its going to look a bit naff. 

We'll see but considering they've been on sale less than a week and also the staggered sales block by block it didn't look bad to me. I had to go for block 44 as I need another couple of tickets when general sale comes. You want some matchday tickets available there too. I would be surprised if it's not full most weeks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had a season ticket last year, didn't renew this year because I was worried about time commitments with a job that works some weekends, and because of cost.  But financially, I've ended up spending more than the season ticket would have cost watching about 1/3 Saints 2/3 Aldershot, and just as much time so I've bought a season ticket in block 41. I know it's not for everybody, but I'm looking forward to it! It'll also be nice to be the right side of the ground now for getting out.

Edited by moorw003
  • Like 1

In case anyone missed the email this morning about the early bird window on the safe standing...

-

Time is running out for you to beat the crowds by securing your spot in the new home-fan-only Northam Stand, from 2.30pm today other supporters will have access to this stand.

Make the most of the early bird price in our new stand and access all home league games, priority away tickets, offers on additional home tickets, discounts across the club and much more. This price is guaranteed, regardless of the division.

Wednesday 1st May 2.30pm: General sale opens for any remaining availability in Northam safe standing

End of the 2023/24 season: Northam Early Bird prices end and full pricing announced. An average of 10-15% price increase will apply to remaining areas.

I'm surprised the club are seemingly just lobbing rails in front of the existing seats.

Most Premier League clubs seem to be going down the fold-flat 'rail seating' route with their trials & rollouts. Granted, they'll have potential European football to consider (and so are more likely to seek to meet UEFA specifications).

But it seems a bit shortsighted to do this half-arsed.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Tickets haven’t even gone on general sale yet.

Which would suggest the actual sale numbers are lower than expected, or they'd have held off on people buying extras until after it had

2 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Which would suggest the actual sale numbers are lower than expected, or they'd have held off on people buying extras until after it had

Would they? Not so sure. This seems a decent way to get ST holders to renew and also to bring a mate along. Also think someone on here said a few days ago that when they renewed the online sales looked to be going well. We’ll see come KO next season but personally I’d be very surprised if the Northam doesn’t sell out most weeks.

I'd be VERY surprised if season ticket sales are anywhere near expectation.

Whilst I think the idea of a Saints 'end' the scaffold like structure doesnt seem conducive to safe standing.

Also the move of away fans will not go down too well with supporters in that area or people like me who will now have to put up with away fans impacting on my stroll to and from the game and my choice of watering hole after the game.

The 10%-15% hike in season tickets will also impact on non Northam end season ticket holders.

I am not short of a bob or too but have recently have to pay for car insurances, home insurance and these have finally been negotiated down to around 20% uplift after renewals were offered up at between 50-65%!!

Those on tighter budgets may decide that they will select their games or give up entirely.

• Like 2

I’ve just had a look at the ‘seat’ availability in the Northam, block 41 has one seat left, 42 sold out, 43 about 50 left, 44 about the same as 43, 45 about 80% sold and 46 about 75% still available.

9 minutes ago, M271 said:

I’ve just had a look at the ‘seat’ availability in the Northam, block 41 has one seat left, 42 sold out, 43 about 50 left, 44 about the same as 43, 45 about 80% sold and 46 about 75% still available.

Just had a look myself.  At this stage I’d take the seat maps with a pinch of salt, it looks like existing ST holders have until Friday to renew on the early bird deal. So you’d have thought anyone not renewing won’t show up as a sellable seat yet, and after the early bird deal closes I don’t know how long the renewal window stays open for? When it all goes on proper unrestricted general sale I think we’ll get a much better idea of it, I reckon for now the club are holding back quite a few seats in most areas for one reason or another.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Would they? Not so sure. This seems a decent way to get ST holders to renew and also to bring a mate along. Also think someone on here said a few days ago that when they renewed the online sales looked to be going well. We’ll see come KO next season but personally I’d be very surprised if the Northam doesn’t sell out most weeks.

The Northam season tickets have sold very well. There are only a few hundred standing places left in Blocks 40-45. Block 46, in the corner, is less popular but there need to be a few places left for individual matchday sales anyway.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just had a look, one seat left in Block 40, then 41 and 42 sold out and just a handful of seats right at the bottom of blocks 43-45. 46 about half gone.

Wonder what that little empty block at the top of 43 is all about, is that where (and this would please one or two) the drummers are going? :p

spacer.png

https://tickets.southamptonfc.com/selection/subscription?productId=10228644212981&_gl=1*13jwtjf*_ga*NTE3NzA2MTY2LjE3MTQ2NzI0NTY.*_ga_LXLP92QWGK*MTcxNDY3MjUwMy4xLjEuMTcxNDY3Mjc1OS40Ny4wLjA.&_ga=2.25258548.80062912.1714672457-517706166.1714672456

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Just had a look, one seat left in Block 40, then 41 and 42 sold out and just a handful of seats right at the bottom of blocks 43-45. 46 about half gone.

Wonder what that little empty block at the top of 43 is all about, is that where (and this would please one or two) the drummers are going? :p

spacer.png

https://tickets.southamptonfc.com/selection/subscription?productId=10228644212981&_gl=1*13jwtjf*_ga*NTE3NzA2MTY2LjE3MTQ2NzI0NTY.*_ga_LXLP92QWGK*MTcxNDY3MjUwMy4xLjEuMTcxNDY3Mjc1OS40Ny4wLjA.&_ga=2.25258548.80062912.1714672457-517706166.1714672456

There's been a TV camera there at the back of block 43 

Are existing season ticket seats in blocks 40-42 still reserved ? 

11 hours ago, JRM said:

Yes.  The FAQ on the OS under "How long will my current seat in the Northam Stand be held?" says "The seat will be held at the early bird price until the conclusion of the season."

Ultimately it's impossible to know take up at the moment as it pertains to blocks 40-42 as all current season ticket seats will be unavailable, even if the holders have moved or not renewing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mozz said:

Yes.  The FAQ on the OS under "How long will my current seat in the Northam Stand be held?" says "The seat will be held at the early bird price until the conclusion of the season."

Ultimately it's impossible to know take up at the moment as it pertains to blocks 40-42 as all current season ticket seats will be unavailable, even if the holders have moved or not renewing.

And that’s just the early bird price. I can’t find any info on it but is there a chance ST holders can still renew their seat after the early bird window has closed? Pretty sure in years gone by that used to be the case.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

And that’s just the early bird price. I can’t find any info on it but is there a chance ST holders can still renew their seat after the early bird window has closed? Pretty sure in years gone by that used to be the case.

End of the 2023/24 season: Northam Early Bird prices end and full pricing announced, with an average of 10-15% price increase. Your current seat will be held following this period but will incur a price increase. 

From the e-mail last week.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JRM said:

You're probably right, and some in those blocks may have moved further over to be more central, but as blocks 43-45 are new areas and mostly sold does suggest this is proving popular with many supporters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

any of you lot joined the 1885 group? 

That's about the year I was born...not really my thing, I'm stuck in the 70s terrace culture but good luck to anybody willing to try and change our crap St Mary's atmosphere. I hope (more than expect) we'll all be surprised by how much it improves things.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

That's about the year I was born...not really my thing, I'm stuck in the 70s terrace culture but good luck to anybody willing to try and change our crap St Mary's atmosphere. I hope (more than expect) we'll all be surprised by how much it improves things.

I’ll wait and see if it makes a dent. It could. It could not.

The Dell was a cracker of a place because it had multiple singing areas. I started as a Milton muppet, moved to under the east stand (up towards the archers) when it was standing, ended up in the archers when it was seating. There were always areas of the ground that were singing and kept an atmosphere going. Easier to do when the capacity is 15k.

It always seemed to me that the original ethos of the fans’ move to St Mary’s was to carry on the spirit of the Dell, to keep up the notion of multiple areas of singing. That for me was the enjoyment factor of the Dell, never the ultimate decibel level, just the interaction of a number of stands playing off each other.

Who knows what will happen. Maybe the Chapel kop will find a resurgence and the old dears will react to the newly placed away end with a coordinated chorus for 90 minutes. Maybe the kingsland will find some life in themselves to wake up and to raise their voices a bit. Maybe the new red wall will be an absolute force of noise in itself. Maybe it will make no difference. Maybe.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Who knows what will happen. Maybe the Chapel kop will find a resurgence and the old dears will react to the newly placed away end with a coordinated chorus for 90 minutes. Maybe the kingsland will find some life in themselves to wake up and to raise their voices a bit. Maybe the new red wall will be an absolute force of noise in itself. Maybe it will make no difference. Maybe.

There’s been no signs of life so far. If ever I break out into singing I get some very strange looks.

Posted (edited)

It’s only since covid the atmosphere has become truly shit at St Mary’s, for some reason the Northam dropped off massively in quality the last few years, which has seemed to affect Kingsland north. And the Itchen north is too variable, some weeks it’s ok and others terrible.

When you watch vids of older games there there is more variation of (decent) songs, OWTS is not as dreary and slow, and seems to come from more sections of the ground. Just more noise generally with people shouting encouragement.

Somehow there seem to be even more posh oddball old couple types scattered around everywhere who dilute the atmosphere by looking aghast at people who shout or sing.

Edited by Mixedkebab

7 minutes ago, Saint In Cornwall said:

Planning application in

Erection of fan zone Marquee 3 LED screens15 food and beverage concessions retail stalls. 2 wc blocks altered stadium entry gates altered car and cycle bays.

I guess these proposals still need approval yet (although probably confident of getting passed after consultations), if anyone wants more detail then fill your boots...

https://planningpublicaccess.southampton.gov.uk/online-applications/files/7B087AD0A361A51F51134B1CF1290CF5/pdf/24_00479_FUL--1956099.pdf

11 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

It’s only since covid the atmosphere has become truly shit at St Mary’s, for some reason the Northam dropped off massively in quality the last few years, which has seemed to affect Kingsland north. And the Itchen north is too variable, some weeks it’s ok and others terrible.

Think it was before that honestly. I gave up my season ticket in 2018 for financial reasons, last time I went back to my old seat not a single person remained from the regulars in that area, people who had been in the same seats from 2006 onwards at least. Too many day trippers, not enough familiarity between large groups of people. 

11 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I guess these proposals still need approval yet (although probably confident of getting passed after consultations), if anyone wants more detail then fill your boots...

https://planningpublicaccess.southampton.gov.uk/online-applications/files/7B087AD0A361A51F51134B1CF1290CF5/pdf/24_00479_FUL--1956099.pdf

The website says document unavailable.

Is it the one where for some reason all our fans are wearing capes?

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 10:23, Mixedkebab said:

When you watch vids of older games there there is more variation of (decent) songs, OWTS is not as dreary and slow, and seems to come from more sections of the ground. Just more noise generally with people shouting encouragement.

Somehow there seem to be even more posh oddball old couple types scattered around everywhere who dilute the atmosphere by looking aghast at people who shout or sing.

I suspect its more about results, more home wins this season than the previous three added together ?

Not to mention 60+ goals being let in, but yes i do think atmosphere can be improved slightly. 

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Argh, annoying. Working here but guessing it's because I've already accessed it. Worth going to the 'plans and documents' tab once anyone has searched up the application.

On 03/05/2024 at 17:41, Turkish said:

any of you lot joined the 1885 group? 

I can't commit to the dance lessons for the organised choreography but i'm hoping to wave a club approved flag and sing a bad version of allez allez for 90mins.

I've heard they're taking lessons from this lot so they should be really scary

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

The club's agents PowerHaus consultancy said it would "rationalise and create enhanced fan zone experiences external to the stadium".

"Many of the club's supporters lobby the club to provide spectator facilities for other sporting and entertainment events at the club, as such venues encourage fans to gather and enjoy the sporting spectacles across a number of yearly events," it said.

Many? I would guess the correct wording is "hardly any"

19 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

The club's agents PowerHaus consultancy said it would "rationalise and create enhanced fan zone experiences external to the stadium".

"Many of the club's supporters lobby the club to provide spectator facilities for other sporting and entertainment events at the club, as such venues encourage fans to gather and enjoy the sporting spectacles across a number of yearly events," it said.

Many? I would guess the correct wording is "hardly any"

I imagine this comes from those emails that they send asking for feedback after games.

In the few times I have filled it out I have mentioned this sort of thing, and been positive about some of the more recent changes, ie opening the doors at half time and allowing people outside.

More bars and food outlets can only be a good thing really, it's actually pretty nice going down there an hour before kick off, standing outside with a beer and chatting.

For someone like me who lives to the East it's much more convenient than travelling past the stadium into town for a couple of pints before the game.

19 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I hope @Turkish passes his end of year review so he can join our new David Brent run Ultras group the 1885

spacer.png

im buzzing for it. We should all wear red t-shirts with 1885 printed on them. @Pat from Poole can be our guy on the mic leading the chants. It'd be great to having him leading a saints version of "i believe that we will win" with clapping like demented seals over the top. #bantz

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

im buzzing for it. We should all wear red t-shirts with 1885 printed on them. @Pat from Poole can be our guy on the mic leading the chants. It'd be great to having him leading a saints version of "i believe that we will win" with clapping like demented seals over the top. #bantz

I think @Pat from Poole already has his role down as the person responsible for shoehorning every player into a version of Allez Allez or Follow Follow and keeping track of those people that don't join in so he can place them on performance review.

After Leeds away @Noodles34 is now responsible for organised handwaving (post nap of course) but they still need someone to fill the "Shit banners made out of macaroni and glue" role, and the "Club approved walk to the ground" role.

With a bit of luck they will be fully organised into a terrifying section well worthy of the MLS or Arsenal Women's team Ultras in at least the next quarter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I think @Pat from Poole already has his role down as the person responsible for shoehorning every player into a version of Allez Allez or Follow Follow and keeping track of those people that don't join in so he can place them on performance review.

After Leeds away @Noodles34 is now responsible for organised handwaving (post nap of course) but they still need someone to fill the "Shit banners made out of macaroni and glue" role, and the "Club approved walk to the ground" role.

With a bit of luck they will be fully organised into a terrifying section well worthy of the MLS or Arsenal Women's team Ultras in at least the next quarter

hopefully we can get a few birds as fit as the hotties in that video. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2024 at 17:18, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

You're probably right, and some in those blocks may have moved further over to be more central, but as blocks 43-45 are new areas and mostly sold does suggest this is proving popular with many supporters.

Checked yesterday, and on the system less than 300 seats were available, majority of those in Block 46, so it seems to be loads of fans are taking this onboard 

• Like 1